Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i made programs that would draw circles with for loops

GOTO c@@l p@st

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Despite Dijkstra's famous judgement in 1975, "It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration",[11] BASIC was one of the few languages that was both high-level enough to be usable by those without training and small enough to fit into the microcomputers of the day, making it the de facto standard programming language on early microcomputers.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
qbasic ftw

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

Despite Dijkstra's famous judgement in 1975, "It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration",[11] BASIC was one of the few languages that was both high-level enough to be usable by those without training and small enough to fit into the microcomputers of the day, making it the de facto standard programming language on early microcomputers.

i think this is somewhat true, unironically. also perl. working in perl hosed me up for years

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I base everything in HTML -1.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

i think this is somewhat true, unironically. also perl. working in perl hosed me up for years

whenever i’ve hosed around in c or python or whatever else, I’ve always tried to make it work not unlike how I structured programs in amos

I just assume that’s because all programs are inherently structured generally the same way 🤷‍♂️

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

definitely true.
many years ago I interviewed web developers whose only experience was with cold fusion. their brains were permanently hosed.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

pram posted:

yeah my introduction to programming was basic on a c64 and it took me awhile to get used to structured control flow and jesus christ i cant believe anyone thought numbering lines was a good idea.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

pram posted:

qbasic ftw

yes, but you need quickbasic to be able to export executables.

check out this demo my friend made in qbasic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnDnIdsiiK8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

definitely true.
many years ago I interviewed web developers whose only experience was with cold fusion. their brains were permanently hosed.

maybe basic is to blame for the rest of my brain issues

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

maybe basic is to blame for the rest of my brain issues

honestly it was a fine language for kids, it’s not permanent brain damage territory. the only exception is Visual Basic’s OnError ResumeNext, which taught people to just plow through any garbage code that didn’t work.

disclaimer: I started with basic on the commodore, trs40, and Apple II

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
these days the kids are learning programming with javascript and python. that's hardly much better

pram
Jun 10, 2001
js is better than python. im sayin' it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the worst was when they decided that Java was a great teaching language.

"Ok guys everything is an object. Except for primitives. Oh and strings are objects even though we treat them like primitives"

"Ok there's no operator overloading except for when there is."

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
FACT: my first programming language was postscript because I'd heard printers used it and i needed to print some things

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

qbasic ftw

my first programming experience was hacking around in GORILLAS.BAS

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rotor posted:

the worst was when they decided that Java was a great teaching language.

"Ok guys everything is an object. Except for primitives. Oh and strings are objects even though we treat them like primitives"

"Ok there's no operator overloading except for when there is."

devolving into absolutely baffling and meaningless taxonomic arguments ftw

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

devolving into absolutely baffling and meaningless taxonomic arguments ftw

yak shaving is just weird horse haircuts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

my first programming experience was hacking around in GORILLAS.BAS

when i first tried to code my first ball throw 2d like gorillas, i had no idea of physics or anything so i tried to make a thing that went up at an angle, but change the angle over time, rather than treat each axis independently. it was hopeless and never worked. fnl

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

dijkstra was a clown

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
writing a poo poo rpg on my calculator to own the libs my gpa

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ti-83 basic programming ftw. i made a quadratic solver and sold it to classmates for $5 lmao

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

dijkstra was a clown

goto considered awesome

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

no web framework I've ever seen in any serious language was ever as friendly was PHP was for making a simple webpage

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i bought a book called learn java in 24 hours, about java 1.0 when i was 9 years old?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
dunno about basic but python made me an extremely bad programmer

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

echinopsis posted:

when i first tried to code my first ball throw 2d like gorillas, i had no idea of physics or anything so i tried to make a thing that went up at an angle, but change the angle over time, rather than treat each axis independently. it was hopeless and never worked. fnl

I did something similar like this in visual basic in highschool. Used quadratic eq for a parabola. I was 14 so it took forever and never really worked right but it was close enough and thanfully the most complicated thing I ever did in visual basic.

I'm sure python has made me a terrible programmer (edit: more realsitically I was already a terrible programmer and it hasn't forced me to improve) but reading other people's python is easy so I like working in it. Maybe I'm just glad I don't have to read other people's javascript anymore.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BQLE_RrTSU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
objective basic

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

I started to learn to code about a year ago and i started with javascript, now i moved to c++ basics and i still cant do poo poo, i am terrible computer toucher and i wish i could have enthusiasm to actually have fun with writing programs, any suggestions what could i do that would be entertaining? Right now it all seems like a chore.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it helps if youre working on something you care about

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

pram posted:

it helps if youre working on something you care about

this. just work on stupid hobby poo poo that sounds fun in a friendly language

such as basic :v:

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 6, 2019

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

made this on a Nintendo 3DS's Basic a while back

i think i used it to pwn someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Mhua4AnB8

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

Good Sphere posted:

made this on a Nintendo 3DS's Basic a while back

i think i used it to pwn someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Mhua4AnB8

ok, please explain how do one does basic on 3DS, i need this.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

RustyKnight posted:

ok, please explain how do one does basic on 3DS, i need this.

it's called Petit Computer on the 3DS store. unsure if it's still available or not. it was DSiWare

there's also some way now to write code on your computer using your keyboard and transfer instead of writing it with a stylus on a tiny screen

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

Good Sphere posted:

it's called Petit Computer on the 3DS store. unsure if it's still available or not. it was DSiWare

there's also some way now to write code on your computer using your keyboard and transfer instead of writing it with a stylus on a tiny screen

Was thinking about getting myself old amiga or c64 but prices people want for this are way to high for me, was also thinking about getting pi, but not sure what would i do with it, give me ideas what to do with it so i can convince myself to get it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

RustyKnight posted:

Was thinking about getting myself old amiga or c64 but prices people want for this are way to high for me, was also thinking about getting pi, but not sure what would i do with it, give me ideas what to do with it so i can convince myself to get it.

you could even do it on your PC, but maybe you should think about something unique you can do with it. so maybe go with the pi, and some unique display connected to it. could be a matrix of LEDs, oscilloscope, a synthesizer..

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
oh, when I look back now
that summer seemed to last forever
and if I had the choice
yeah, I'd always wanna be there
those were the best days of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga