Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I can't seem to get any value out of spying, even as the edgy ghost guys. Maxing out funding I can sometimes get to 5 spies who I then switch to espionage, but they just get caught and the ant dude is way outrunning me by just researching poo poo normally and not wasting money on spies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Are you keeping your computer technology levels up, and maybe preferentially stealing computer technologies to stay even or ahead? Your computer tech score is a bonus to your spies' success rate.

Also, you mention getting up to five spies and then switching to espionage. I can't prove this with numbers, but I feel setting spies to espionage from day one offers a greater success rate over time. I only hide my guys after getting threatened by someone and sometimes not even then (I have noticed a lot of leeway on getting war-dec'd for spying even after being threatened).

I just won a normal difficulty game, 33 star small galaxy vs 5 empires, as the Nazlocks. I wasn't able to run rampant on my enemies with spies but technology theft kept me just behind my top competitor (ant men) and erasing missile bases by sabotage before invasion essentially nullified a couple of tech advantages they had from planetary shields and missiles. Thus I stayed competitive while growing and warring. So keep at it I say. The Nazlock spying bonuses* won't put a win on a silver platter but then no racial bonus really goes that far (except Psilons or whatever they've been renamed to those fuckers were OP back in the day).

As other species I usually pick an empire, put a lot of money into spying for a few turns to check up on their progress, and then maybe after nabbing a tech or two I switch all the money in to my next opponent and rotate through everyone in what I hope is cost effective fashion. I'll also dump a lot of money into spies during a war if I need help cracking a tough nest of missile bases.

*Half cost spies, +30 to the 1-100 roll to succeed in missions, +20 to the 1-100 roll to catch enemy spies

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Ooooh, there's a bunch of extra detail buried in the manual, right.

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Ooooh, there's a bunch of extra detail buried in the manual, right.

Also remember that you can have too many spy networks in an enemy empire. Each network has a pct chance to be exposed and, if that happens, none of your spy networks in that empire can succeed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
How many is the magic number then?

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

Clarste posted:

How many is the magic number then?

I guess you'd have to do a calculation for the chances of your spies getting caught first. That would be controlled by your relative computer levels, their level of internal security and if you're a Darlok.

Once you know that, you'd have to calculate your comfort level to spies getting caught (which has bad diplomatic consequences).

I generally don't build more than 2 or 3 (tops), especially since you can only have 1 success per turn anyway.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Do factories contribute to the research potential of a planet? I had a couple of ultra-poor planets so I figure I'd just grow their pop, forgo factories and get them researching asap but they didn't generate poo poo.

I also had a situation where my capital and a nearby fertile terran planet had identical population and production but the con-capital was able to produce ~double the number of ships per turn.

Is there something borked with planet modifiers or am I missing something?

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Do factories contribute to the research potential of a planet? I had a couple of ultra-poor planets so I figure I'd just grow their pop, forgo factories and get them researching asap but they didn't generate poo poo.

I also had a situation where my capital and a nearby fertile terran planet had identical population and production but the con-capital was able to produce ~double the number of ships per turn.

Is there something borked with planet modifiers or am I missing something?

Your colonies create production based on the number of factories and, secondarily, the size of the population. That production can then be distributed, via the sliders, to spend however you want: ships, missile bases, research, etc.

If you have no factories on a colony then overall production will be low. Poor planets need factories, too, but they just take longer to build them.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'm trying to figure out factory refits. Are they always supposed to be required at [factories = 2 x max pop], even if you've completed Robotic Controls tech before founding the colony?

If not, then the only thing left I can think of that they might be tied to is the founding colony ship's design date, which seems like a weird choice.

e: Also not sure that max pop is the 'refit required' point. It looks like it might be the highest actual population the planet has ever had (or maybe it includes transports coming/going?). I had a new colony I was pumping up with transports, then decided to try shipping them all off to another new colony to see if that would force refits at the current amount of pop vs factories (5 and 15, respectively), but no dice.

e2: Oh, blah, almost no activity here for a month. Hello thread, I just learned about this game yesterday from the new releases thread. Going to try my luck in the game's subreddit.

e3: Turns out the answer is that refits always happen regardless when factories hit x2/x3/etc of the planet's max pop.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 26, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I played a small galaxy, 3 opponents one with the normal ai, one with the improved flavor ai, and one with the AI that plays to win. Ended up getting elected as the supreme leader, and then second place got ganged up on, which was pretty fun.
I'm wondering if there are some macro mechanics that would make it feasible to play on the excessively large galaxy sizes. It looks like you can play on a 600,000+ star galaxy, which seems impossible to ever hope to finish unless you can multiple select thousands of planets at a time, but even then, I don't see how it could work based on what I've seen so far.

Otherwise this is definitely a great remake of MoO1. Very impressive job.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can someone give me some technical help? Whenever I try to open Remnants it hits me with "this application requires a Java Runtime Environment". I uninstalled and reinstalled Java and made sure it was up to date, no dice. Anyone else have this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Am I doing something wrong, auto battle, even when I'm in an offical war with someone, all my ships just retreat. I don't want to have to spend time manually doing battles when its 100 of my ships vs 1 of theirs.