Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

This is good advice, but I'm in Europe, Lisbon to be more precise, but it's still useful. My biggest hurdle though was overcoming the stigma of being seen (? lack of a better word) there's a lot of cultural heritage to not make big waves, even today, because of our late dictatorship. People just have the habit of keeping to themselves and not get involved.

yeah it can be tough when people have been propagandized against the ideas like that. there are parties and orgs in portugal though. even if none of them seem to be doing the work you think is necessary there are international groups and parties all over europe (too many actually lol). you could try looking into some of their politics and seeing if any of them feel like a good fit. organizing is hard and its not a straightforward thing to do like if you do x then you get y result. sometimes just talking to people you know around you and even just shifting their opinion a few degrees closer to the left can have a huge impact long term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Honest Thief posted:

This is good advice, but I'm in Europe, Lisbon to be more precise, but it's still useful. My biggest hurdle though was overcoming the stigma of being seen (? lack of a better word) there's a lot of cultural heritage to not make big waves, even today, because of our late dictatorship. People just have the habit of keeping to themselves and not get involved.

Dictatorships have a tendency to arise due to an apathetic populace so perhaps you lusiphones should lay off the sangria

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

apropos to nothing posted:

even if none of them seem to be doing the work you think is necessary there are international groups and parties all over europe (too many actually lol). you could try looking into some of their politics and seeing if any of them feel like a good fit.

yeah, look less for a perfect fit but a fit at least

Dreddout posted:

Dictatorships have a tendency to arise due to an apathetic populace so perhaps you lusiphones should lay off the sangria

lol more than half the populace was dying out of hunger, it wasn't so much apathy as lethargy

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

well, I’m a Bolshevik right now and I would like to not be murdered or imprisoned after a revolution by other Bolsheviks.

drat this is some squish lib posting.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
bump

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

don’t worry about what kind of whatever you are, find the people who are doing the work of organizing and join them and do the work and you’re whatever that is.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm probably closer to anarchist just cause theyr correct that the imposition of state hierarchy inevitably causes horrible corruption and violence regardless of whether you're Johnny Capitalism or Johnny Communism.

Otoh I think that the lefty move towards decentralisjng everything, which I think is based in those ideals, doesn't loving work at all. It's basically just giving up right from the beginning.
So I suppose ultimately I don't think of it as a very practical ideology but it is correct.

Also all the anarchists are useless weirdos arguing with eachother but that goes for everyone with strong political views.

Actual commies seem to spend too much time apologising mass deaths or telling people they can look forward to back breaking labour on a collective farm come the revolution. The obsession with labour can strike me as basically protestant work ethic sometimes.
It's obvious why communist rulers push it as an idea for the same reason capitalist rulers do.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
syq

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 98 days!
sighing so hard my lungs collapse

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm probably closer to anarchist just cause theyr correct that the imposition of state hierarchy inevitably causes horrible corruption and violence regardless of whether you're Johnny Capitalism or Johnny Communism.

Otoh I think that the lefty move towards decentralisjng everything, which I think is based in those ideals, doesn't loving work at all. It's basically just giving up right from the beginning.
So I suppose ultimately I don't think of it as a very practical ideology but it is correct.

Also all the anarchists are useless weirdos arguing with eachother but that goes for everyone with strong political views.

Actual commies seem to spend too much time apologising mass deaths or telling people they can look forward to back breaking labour on a collective farm come the revolution. The obsession with labour can strike me as basically protestant work ethic sometimes.
It's obvious why communist rulers push it as an idea for the same reason capitalist rulers do.

saving this to read again later after i recover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There's a perfect anarchist thread thatta way