Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

As someone who only pays attention to Tennis when the slams are on, is there a reason the US has been so good at developing great women players compared to men? Or is it just that the big 3 men have prevented me from knowing about them?
The women's field has been wide open for a long time and American women outside of Serena haven't really been on top. Sloane Stephens, despite the Grand Slam, hasn't had a lot of sustained success, nor have Keys or whoever else. Like they aren't far above an Isner or Querrey based on career results. We'll see about Kenin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
The future of tennis is very bleak (or just wildly unpredictable) once Serena + the men's trio retire. The only women who could have been consistently successful like those 4 retired relatively early in their careers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

amenbrotep posted:

Grand slam title decided by a double fault. Rough day for Muguruza, didn't look great. Props to Kenin for pushing through the nerves tho'
I got 12/1 odds on her after the third round and she should’ve won this. Played like a nervy first time slam finalist though, what an embarrassment. Cost me $650 :argh:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Up Circle posted:

The future of tennis is very bleak (or just wildly unpredictable) once Serena + the men's trio retire. The only women who could have been consistently successful like those 4 retired relatively early in their careers.

Personally I think not having the same 4 people win every title for a decade would be a good thing

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Personally I think not having the same 4 people win every title for a decade would be a good thing
Golf went through something like that when Tiger was injured. It’s not the best.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anyone watching this live? I won't make the same mistake I did with the women's final and hedged my pre-tournament bet on Djoker. No matter who raises the trophy, I win (only like $50 though lol).

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I'm watching but man that first set ended in a poo poo way. Not feeling super hopeful about Thiem's chances.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Watching a bit, hoping Thiem can pull it off but not sure if he's got the execution or enough left in the tank after Nadal to beat Djokovic

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug
Amazing how slam after slam Djokovic calls the trainer a billion times when the opponent is ahead a set, totally fucks their rhythm for the entire set, then magically comes back at 100%

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well poo poo. Hoping Thiem can pull a miracle off but that fourth set loss looks like it's gonna cost him the title.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Evil is winning

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

aejix posted:

Amazing how slam after slam Djokovic calls the trainer a billion times when the opponent is ahead a set, totally fucks their rhythm for the entire set, then magically comes back at 100%

it's ok; John McEnroe just said it's "within the rules"

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Well that was a disappointing although not unexpected outcome

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Man Djokovic must have had some industrial-strength peds in that pink juice

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Thiem started losing composure as soon as I started watching, which was during the Djoko's bullshit mto :(

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
So disappointing Djoko won after his dirty tactics and basically threatening the chair umpire (touching his shoe? who does that).

Should have been disqualified.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
TBF he should get a five year ban IMHO.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Solemn Sloth posted:

It would be nice to have a middle ground. 3-4 players who form a dominant rivalry with the occasional interloper or up and comer taking a slam. Feels more special that way. Apart from Serena there hasn't been another dominant women's player in the last 10 years, the best winning 2-3 grand slams during that time. It's hard to develop fanbases that way too. In the opposite direction the men's game is beginning to feel even more stale with the last two years of slams just being Djokovic and Nadal swapping wins, especially as they both displays levels of gamesmanship on timings and injury breaks that is quite unlikable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Flayer posted:

It would be nice to have a middle ground. 3-4 players who form a dominant rivalry with the occasional interloper or up and comer taking a slam. Feels more special that way. Apart from Serena there hasn't been another dominant women's player in the last 10 years, the best winning 2-3 grand slams during that time. It's hard to develop fanbases that way too. In the opposite direction the men's game is beginning to feel even more stale with the last two years of slams just being Djokovic and Nadal swapping wins, especially as they both displays levels of gamesmanship on timings and injury breaks that is quite unlikable.

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant in terms of the trouble lurking a few years away in keeping interest and excitement in the pro game.

I'm as tired of the Serena/Fed/Djokovic/Nadal parade as anyone else, but I just don't think there are any players coming up behind them that look strong enough to be dominant players. Even if Gauff ends up becoming that type of player, she still needs at least one foil to keep things interesting.