Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Australian is literally on fire

And players have been retiring due to smoke inhalation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h3l7I802qU

And famously anti-gay Margaret Court is getting a 50th anniversary celebration of her calendar year slam.

Roger is sitting on 20 slams. Rafa has 19 and Novak has 16. Serena is still looking for 24 which would tie her with Margaret Court. I don't like Serena but gently caress Margaret Court.

https://ausopen.com/

The first slam of the year decade begins on Monday, January 20 and ends on Sunday, February 2. Subtract 16 hours for U.S. Eastern Time (the tournament starts Sunday night).

TV coverage starts at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2 on opening day but 9 p.m. thereafter due to college basketball. Fortunately, you can watch full tournament coverage when it starts at 7 p.m. every day at https://www.espn.com/watch/ or the ESPN app. The AO website and app also offer radio streams which are very good.

Men's Draw: https://ausopen.com/draws#!mens-singles

Women's Draw: https://ausopen.com/draws#!womens-singles

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites
Novak Djokovic 6/5
Rafael Nadal 9/2
Daniil Medvedev 8/1
Roger Federer 10/1
Stefanos Tsitsipas 14/1
Dominic Thiem 22/1
Nick Kyrgios 28/1
Andrey Rublev 40/1
Denis Shapovalov 40/1
Roberto Bautista Agut 40/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites
Serena Williams 4/1
Ashleigh Barty 8/1
Naomi Osaka 8/1
Karolina Pliskova 10/1
Simona Halep 10/1
Aryna Sabalenka 14/1
Madison Keys 20/1
Petra Kvitova 22/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I believe in you Shapovalov, please don't let me down as much as Milos has :canada:

My girl Bianca Andreescu still injured and not in :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Football is over. Time for tennis.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Hirez posted:

I believe in you Shapovalov, please don't let me down as much as Milos has :canada:

:laffo: Whoops!

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I'm torn between wanting Federer to win again or to finally have someone new win. It's getting ridiculous that a bunch of old dudes have still made like every final.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
:cry: at least he lost to a guy with an A+ name; Márton Fucsovics

Hirez fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 22, 2020

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I am glad Dimitrov is out so we don't have to see that ugly rear end outfit he designed.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Oh just loving get absolutely loving hosed

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I am unironically upset that Federer won. He had no business winning that super tiebreaker.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's all right. he just had millman's number today.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Kyrgios is either made entirely of tissue paper or has the lowest pain threshold in the history of professional sports. It’s real disappointing cause god drat does he have talent.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jesus Christ that was some match

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
He loving did it! :aaa:

What a rollercoaster of a match.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Another Kyrgios/Nadal match to look forward to. The match they had a couple of years ago in Mexico was a classic.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Kyrgios is either made entirely of tissue paper or has the lowest pain threshold in the history of professional sports

You can't say that when Kei Nishikori is around. He's made out of glass. I think Nick isn't as physically fit as he should be.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nick was completed exhausted and Nadal is going to run him ragged. Maybe a tiebreaker in the first but then straightforward sets after that.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 25, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Josh Lyman posted:

Nick was completed exhausted and Nadal is going to run him ragged. Maybe a tiebreaker in the first but then straightforward sets after that.

Alternatively he can have a lie down between points on Nadal’s service games

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
side question - is there any talk of gbetting rid of this fifth set tie breaker bullshit it is so much loving worse for the game

also five set womens tennis soon please

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Kyrgios owns. I loved him from day one and I'm glad he's playing great tennis and still breaking racquets while screaming at the player's box.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm no Fed fan, but he can't lose to someone named Tenys.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

I'm no Fed fan, but he can't lose to someone named Tenys.
Tennys is a MAGAhead too.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm aware. Just another reason they shouldn't win, ever.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Thanks ball kid for killing Tennys and saving Tennis.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hard to believe that someone raised by people that think Tennys is a good name is in fact a moron

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well thank god he pulled that off but good lord is he gonna get smashed next match.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol at the Aussie tv intern that put QUATERFINAL up on the screen

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In case you missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aRqBXfyiZY

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Ah, the tax evader playoff

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ah yes, Australian Open TV not available in Australia.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
cool and good

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I went to sleep at the end of the third set and what the gently caress happened? Federer looked like he could barely bend for any ball, like if he were the sort to retire mid match he would've retired, like it was certain he was gonna lose.

I'm glad the alt right poo poo head lost.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Rafael Nadal suffering the outrageous injustice of having the rules applied to him

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Fucks sake I just missed insane odds for Nadal to come back from two sets down and 4-4 to win. Bloody doping Spaniards

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

aejix posted:

Fucks sake I just missed insane odds for Nadal to come back from two sets down and 4-4 to win. Bloody doping Spaniards
Do you remember about what they looked like? +800?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m now seeing -125 for Rafa to win the match, -105 for Thiem.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you remember about what they looked like? +800?

It was like 11:1, so if I put down 50 on Rafael's limitless endurance i would've pulled in over half a grand.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Never had any doubt Thiem had this in the bag

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Goodnight Roger :'(

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I know I should turn this off, but I can't. I guess I like to torture myself.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Grand slam title decided by a double fault. Rough day for Muguruza, didn't look great. Props to Kenin for pushing through the nerves tho'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
As someone who only pays attention to Tennis when the slams are on, is there a reason the US has been so good at developing great women players compared to men? Or is it just that the big 3 men have prevented me from knowing about them?