Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The briefing music is getting even more epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

"Someone should revisit this idea; big, open-world flying adventure game"
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

that the UFO is vulnerable to stalling despite not having wings (or indeed any apparent kind of Earthly propulsion) is some hot bullshit, imho

Kangra
May 7, 2012

"So why don't you just fly the fuel plane out to the airport and land next to me?"
"That airport's unmanned."
"Sure, but we can both fly there. Then I refuel on the ground, you come back here."
"No, this plane's designed for mid-air refueling."
"Yes, but that doesn't mean you have to do it that way. It'd be a lot safer down on the ground."
"On the ground where, though?"
"At the airport past the rocks."
"But it's unmanned. Nobody there."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can imagine a harder version of this mission that explains the tanker's engines and damage and it can't fly above the top of the rocks so I hope you're good at turning.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I'm not sure if you're just doing it for fun, but you don't have to do missions to get the secret runways. You can just go in free flight mode and land on the runway with unlimited fuel. I think the manual mentions it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I think the manual mentions it.
It does! Oops.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Where would you carry concrete weights in your plane?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Disappointed they didn't give you a hot air balloon to fly, as a gag. Unless they do as an unlockable.

The balloon mission did make a nice change, having an objective that has a straightforward reason for a plane to be doing it, rather than basically being a sick dare.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Where would you carry concrete weights in your plane?

Man, I dunno. I need a larger plane to acommidate my massive ego, so probably in that needlessly large storage compartment that all fictional planes are required to have by law?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

azren posted:

Man, I dunno. I need a larger plane to acommidate my massive ego, so probably in that needlessly large storage compartment that all fictional planes are required to have by law?
I see you've also experienced

*the airborne whale in the picture is a VTOL transport/attack/fighter "plane" which gets first deployed in a desert, suffers an engine failure because it turns out sand gets everywhere if you hover over it, and then it turns out the plane also carries a massive self-destruct charge.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The strip mine has windmills because it's run and owned by the Dutch, and that's just how they strip mines.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

SelenicMartian posted:

I see you've also experienced

*the airborne whale in the picture is a VTOL transport/attack/fighter "plane" which gets first deployed in a desert, suffers an engine failure because it turns out sand gets everywhere if you hover over it, and then it turns out the plane also carries a massive self-destruct charge.
it's an f-35 with its mouth closed

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Maybe the windmills were there before the strip mine?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Up against the other canyon (and canyon-like) mission this one had a few things going on at least. The collapses happened at a time when it might actually be dangerous and the path actually got slightly narrow in parts. It's... something.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I got to ask - when your ending runway is actually two runways on the map, crossing over each other, can you land on either one to finish the map?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Either works. It's missing the runway completely that kills you.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

What the hell? Your swordfish grew an extra wing!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

We're finding canyons in the strangest places.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ooooh, so the way to Destin is to head directly toward it. Truly the creators of these ancient ruins were geniuses.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The map was mapping the hurricane, obviously

azren
Feb 14, 2011

From a gameplay standpoint, I feel like that pontoon thing is absolute bullshit. They're making it extremely difficult/impossible to do the thing you're supposed to do for improving your score, and I feel like that's a pretty lame decision.

(I'm referring specifically to the weight loving up your barrel rolls)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Burst plumbing, the final frontier...

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Thanks for the LP. While this game might be a little repetitious with its obstacles and level design, it's still one of my favorite PS2 games. I would love to see a game like this made again with more varying obstacles and mechanics. I could have sworn there was an unlockable for getting all A+ circle ranks, but it seems like you just need to get 10 to unlock the corsair. I actually ground out a circle rank in Over the Falls by flying at low altitude in the starting area.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was thinking I would like to have seen one of the other final mission choices, but deep inside I know it's just all canyons. Canyons beyond canyons, slowly filling with debris hurled in by some bored and uncaring god.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I would not have voted for the obvious canyon level if I had known the game was nothing but canyon levels. Ah well, it ends much the same as it always was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A shame, I was hoping for a lot more variety than there was. There's just so much you can do with stunt flying. Oh well, it was interesting to see one of these games that passed me by. Thanks.