Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Flying is nice!

Especially flying through the clear sky, or between the clouds, or between crumbling rocks, through tunnels and twisting caves, hurricanes and dense forests!

Is there anything nicer than dumping all your fuel to clear a mountain range in a blizzard?

Or landing on a carrier in a storm?

Or flying cross-country with a leaking fuel tank?

Flying is awesome, if you're just the right kind of crazy.

FLYING:

(with technical difficulties)

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
This looks like a neat game. Did you do a preview of this in an old LP? It seems familiar.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This was one of my favorite games back in the day, but I never finished it due to a particularly difficult late-game level. Looking forward to seeing what I missed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Holy mother of god it's like a long lost memory come to life
I had completely forgotten this game despite it constantly kicking my hasty child rear end

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"All right, we can finish sky canvas in later episodes as a bit of sky cock side content"

Yes, I heard that, we all know what you're going to be drawing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Swordfishes are made for adventures.

And killing the Bismarck.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always loved games like this. I never played many but between a few low budget titles, the various PIlotwings, and the two "Stuntman" games on the Playstation I had a lot of fun.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The choral music actually reminded me of Ar Tonelico. Some of the music has similar chanting/singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgVTfRkM-Ys

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

In the finest tradition of my landings!

The Poll... result

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 22, 2020

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So, my uncle actually owns a copy of Time Tripper, and it is lots of fun! The time travel device is actually weird radio, and you have to collect it on each map to try and move on to the next time. Each time you travel, the player with the radio tries to control when it goes(there's a small hex field that models when you go via direction of the counter), and they get better at it as they get more experience. The end objective is to land exactly on the center hex, and then (iirc) make one last roll to end up home. But when you go past the center hex, it takes you into the future stages, which are generally more dangerous than the past stages, and have some weird rules in them (Time Police can mess with the radio, Mind Police screw up your actions I think, the Black Hole just outright makes you lose the game, etc), or back to the past if you're already in the future. You pick up equipment from the fights you have, and everything gets scattered on the main hex map every time you jump.

(Incidentally, the Vampire is one of the only really interesting past stages; you can't kill it. You can either get the radio and jump away like normal, or you can survive a certain number of turns and it'll die in the sunlight.)

My uncle also does some small-time game design, and made a variant for playing Superhero Time Tripper (I think he adapted rules from Champions?), which was also amazing.

In short, if you can manage to get your hands on a copy somehow, I definitely recommend trying it!

:spergin: aside, this is a really odd game. I'd have thought that you'd want to have the player learn to land on an aircraft carrier in normal weather, and fly in stormy weather, before you combined them.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
A 330 meter long aircraft carrier? So you're landing a swordfish on a carrier the size of a Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013
Goodness. Having a Kow Otani soundtrack makes everything seem way more important. That song choice alone for the mission briefing makes the whole thing sound critical.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Wait, you stalled by flying into the wind? While the wind would slow you down, it would also increase lift. With enough wind, you can ascend while traveling backwards. Does the game model physics based on ground speed instead of airspeed or something? Or maybe it was just the angle you flew into the wind...? Would you have stalled if you flew directly into the wind?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

TapamN posted:

Wait, you stalled by flying into the wind? While the wind would slow you down, it would also increase lift. With enough wind, you can ascend while traveling backwards. Does the game model physics based on ground speed instead of airspeed or something? Or maybe it was just the angle you flew into the wind...? Would you have stalled if you flew directly into the wind?
OK, so let's say you're in a wind tunnel, and the carrier has a conveyor belt on its deck.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is the arts mode really just 10 levels? You're almost halfway there and it still feels you're in its tutorial flights.

I have a feeling it's gonna ramp up pretty quickly if it's just those 10 levels.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It wouldn't be a flying game without a canyon mission which is what I assume a tight squeeze is. Unless its a cave, which is even better.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I'm glad to see an LP of this game finally show up on the forums. I didn't discover it until around 2008, but it was one of my favorites on the PS2. I even completed it 100%. I love the sense of adventure the game exudes. The missions are pretty varied, and the soundtrack is great. It's a shame nobody played it, because I could really go for a sequel.

HardDiskD posted:

Is the arts mode really just 10 levels? You're almost halfway there and it still feels you're in its tutorial flights.

I have a feeling it's gonna ramp up pretty quickly if it's just those 10 levels.

I don't remember that well, but I want to say sky canvas mode is only ten levels. I also remember them not being very hard even towards the end. It almost feels like it's some sort of remnant of a training mode that they just slapped some sky art into because why not. The difficulty of adventure mode really blows everything else out of the water except for maybe some of the later target levels if you're trying to get a high score.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The good natured adventure vibe is really fun so far. It's interesting to see a flight game entirely about stunt flying and difficult conditions instead of combat.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Night10194 posted:

The good natured adventure vibe is really fun so far. It's interesting to see a flight game entirely about stunt flying and difficult conditions instead of combat.

That's kinda how I felt about the Trauma Center series; with so much action and violence in video games, it was kinda nice to see something where you just saving people. It can be a nice change of pace, and it doesn't happen enough.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What is it with flying games and hitting rings?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man that's some weirdly in-depth weather simulation for this little bonus mode. I wonder if it was intended for the campaign, then dropped to get a better handle on the difficulty curve...

Or, alternatively, they created Target Mode to give them a mode to use the weather simulation in.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I am very much looking forward to seeing the UFO you unlocked there.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Shame the dynamic weather didn't get more screentime.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Man that's some weirdly in-depth weather simulation for this little bonus mode. I wonder if it was intended for the campaign, then dropped to get a better handle on the difficulty curve...

Or, alternatively, they created Target Mode to give them a mode to use the weather simulation in.

It feels like something that someone wanted to be bigger. I can definitely see something like, instead of the game being a series of distinct missions in the adventure mode, it was originally envisioned to be some sort of open world exploration game and a dynamic weather simulation across (mostly) uncharted islands would really add to that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The game is getting weird.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

SelenicMartian posted:

That last level :stare:
I can see you struggling to even maintain control of your plane, jesus christ.
Oh god, there's lightning too! :stonk:

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

I would suggest changing the UFO's name to the Adamski, after all the Saucer looks very much by his"very real" UFO pictures.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I'm pretty sure the death on landing was because the plane reared up too much and the tail made contact with the ground. I've had similar deaths where the plane reared up and then hit the ground.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That cave didn't collapse nearly enough. Why, you didn't even have to narrowly escape out the exit before it sealed itself off forever.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Maybe they should have explored the cave with boats idk. I'm not an explorer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

Maybe they should have explored the cave with boats idk. I'm not an explorer.

Boats can't barrel roll, how would they even get extra points.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Boats can't barrel roll, how would they even get extra points.
You'd think, but...
Now looping, that's a tricky one.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

:thunk:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I feel like you'd have a better time trying to climb over the mountain if you were not in a Swordfish.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess not every gimmick can be a winner. Bit of a shame, gliding down a mountain in a snowstorm with almost no fuel is just the kind of thing that would be exciting.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

And I'm not hallucinating, no. :rolldice:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wait, all these campaign maps stitch together into a cohesive world?

Along with the weather system, was Sky Odyssey originally envisioned as an open-world game? It's starting to look that way.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Alas Japanese Sky Odyssey is almost indistinguishable from English besides they subtitle the menu options (which are in English, but worse English in some cases) and the mission description voiceover is different.

Specifically, yes the Sky Canvas levels are unchanged

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As far as ancient old growth forests go that one was very nicely groomed, spaced, and pathed. I wonder if its possible to fly any significant distance off the flight path and if there's anything to find out there.

Tenebrais posted:

Wait, all these campaign maps stitch together into a cohesive world?

Along with the weather system, was Sky Odyssey originally envisioned as an open-world game? It's starting to look that way.

I wouldn't be surprised, I already speculated about it myself. The way I see it jetstreams are your fast travel system between islands, you would land at specific runways to start available missions, hidden runways out in the world are your collectibles, missions like the supply drop one could have been something to establish future runways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

More and more signs point to open-world plans.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 15, 2020