Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

The iPhone App is pretty much the only reason I use the forums anymore. It's a good app and the user experience is light years better than the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

paternity suitor posted:

The iPhone App is pretty much the only reason I use the forums anymore. It's a good app and the user experience is light years better than the website.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
signing the list of people who prefer a mobile version of the website, or even do nothing, apps suck

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
crappy mobile might be turning away new users

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Force everyone to use a new app (that doesn't work) and also costs money to download.

Save money on bandwidth while making money selling access

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

gary oldmans diary posted:

Almost certainly is considering for younger people the phone view is all that matters.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If we are looking to actively get new members, being able to link to a specific post that is funny and not have it look like poo poo and have a bunch of ads that only show when you aren't logged in would be nice. I can't blindly link someone to a thread that's funny or is a good source of info. It generates questions about how good a resource the site could be if they don't put effort into their mobile. My current go to is the community is solid but the site itself doesn't currently care about their mobile view and rely on an excellent community app. Of course they then want to use the app instead and you need an account for that and that is :10bux:

I really love this community but it takes a lot of effort on my part to get people I think would be good additions to even think about reading a post never mind buying an account.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

gary oldmans diary posted:

This. If there is an old fraction of the userbase who are sceptical of apps then by all means leave them a means to view the site without any. With new users in mind definitly either endorse/collebarate with the existing app and/or develop a better mobile site. I can honestly say that without the app I wouldn't browse SA on my phone as things are now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

host the old mobile site on mobileClassic.forums.somethingawful.com or something, or maybe have it be an option with plat. The old way should stay because goons don't like new things and it shouldn't be difficult to offer until new features get added (look at dropping when it becomes too difficult to support and you have a count of how many users are actively using it)

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It's funny but now I'm trying to figure out how to start a topic on mobile.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Hello world

posted on Awful App Android

e: gently caress this was supposed to be a new thread. but how did it know?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Icochet posted:

Hello world

posted on Awful App Android

e: gently caress this was supposed to be a new thread. but how did it know?

You can't post new threads on the Android app.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Darth Brooks posted:

It's funny but now I'm trying to figure out how to start a topic on mobile.

The app? You can't make a new thread in the app the devs never added it. It is the one major problem (and no mod tools!) which is the reason for wanting to get Lowtax on board so these things can be made available to the app.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
How can you direct new users to an app? Over the years I must have gotten five hundred "download the Tapatalk app!!!" popups from random forums, but not for a second did I ever consider doing it. Do you guys install a website's app on your first visit?

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Anne Whateley posted:

How can you direct new users to an app? Over the years I must have gotten five hundred "download the Tapatalk app!!!" popups from random forums, but not for a second did I ever consider doing it. Do you guys install a website's app on your first visit?

Call me old fashioned but I wait until my third visit before downloading a website's app

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Most people don't know there's a browser on their phone they get to a site by finding the app. The awful app doesn't let you register an account, which is another problem.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
You wanna make sure there aren't any bots using the forums so force everyone to use Google Recaptcha prior to each post.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

pixaal posted:

The app? You can't make a new thread in the app the devs never added it. It is the one major problem (and no mod tools!) which is the reason for wanting to get Lowtax on board so these things can be made available to the app.

Ok.

I wanted to make a thread asking if anyone knew someone personally who had been diagnosed with the Covid virus but I can wait until I get home.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Forget about a downloadable app and ride a PWA into the future. Easier to attract new members, too.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
you should detect the mobile platform and then force them onto the competing platforms' app store

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

dead prez posted:

you should detect the mobile platform and then force them onto the competing platforms' app store

Redirect apple and android to windows store, direct windows phones and edge to the apple store.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

sorry i did not read any of these last 5 pages however, i post on the normal site using mobile and have absolutely no issue doing so. and i hate apps. so just leave it as it is

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Many people freshly introduced to the forums wouldn't be ready to trust an app or pay :10bux: to register and use it. It takes a while for readers to become prepared to pay. So just show periodic headsups about the app to those already registered who are mobile browsing.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down

pixaal posted:

Redirect apple and android to windows store, direct windows phones and edge to the apple store.

create the most confusion possible imo

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
In terms of building up the user base, a good mobile site is much more worthwhile than an app I think, because if people are linked to SA the first thing they see will be either:

A nice mobile site with/without an app download popup
OR
An awkward desktop site with an app download popup

App nagging is really annoying these days, so people just aren’t going to download one for a new site they’ve never been to before, meaning that their only exposure to the forums may be the desktop version on their phone.

psyman fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 20, 2020

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Lowtax posted:

Every time in the past that I've asked "should I work on making this site look normal on mobile," the majority of people said don't bother. Which is why I haven't been doing it. But I assume a majority of users on mobile use the unofficial SA Forums app, so I was wondering if I should hook up with them and focus on mobile poo poo for their app, making it the OFFICIAL SA Forums app. Or I guess I could have one of those stupid boxes that says "USE THE GODDAMN MOBILE APP YOU PIECE OF poo poo" in huge-rear end letters, but at the bottom there's a real tiny link that says "no thanks, I want to see the hosed up site," and it obviously leads you to the forums and does not bug you again.

Ideas, suggestions?

idk, have u tried not beating women?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
:drat:

But seriously, as long as the chucklefuck above me resurrected this thread...

Lotta app h8ers itt. I get that cos most apps suck harder than dyson vacuums (you can read that with a pro- or anti-dyson bias and it works either way isn't that neat?), but you see, the Awful App doesn't suck. In fact it anti-sucks. It's obviously called Awful because it's awfully good, but if you're too dim to work that out on your own then I think this forum might be better off without you so :frogout:

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I think its fine as is. I think a dark and light mode would be good. Or a domestic abuse hotline button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progject
Apr 23, 2006

It's great, I've used it for many years... but why can't I post threads?