Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Every time in the past that I've asked "should I work on making this site look normal on mobile," the majority of people said don't bother. Which is why I haven't been doing it. But I assume a majority of users on mobile use the unofficial SA Forums app, so I was wondering if I should hook up with them and focus on mobile poo poo for their app, making it the OFFICIAL SA Forums app. Or I guess I could have one of those stupid boxes that says "USE THE GODDAMN MOBILE APP YOU PIECE OF poo poo" in huge-rear end letters, but at the bottom there's a real tiny link that says "no thanks, I want to see the hosed up site," and it obviously leads you to the forums and does not bug you again.

Ideas, suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Do both of those ideas.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

just do the pop-up and add store links, I always use the app but very rarely I need to use the site for whatever

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'd be in favor of it and in favor of working more closely with the app creator wherever it makes sense. The mobile app is very convenient right now but there are some things it just can't do, for an example right now off the top of my head mobile users on the unofficial app can't see or vote in polls.

Doing crazy things like letting mods have access to their mod-panels might be a bridge too far but it's also something that can't be done in the mobile app right now.

Since it's unofficial obviously there is nothing you can do about this next problem taxman but so long as we're talking about what a more close relationship with the unofficial app could look like another problem is that users of the SA app for the iphone can make threads currently while there is no way to post a thread from the android version of the app for some reason. If the unofficial app got to be more official I think it would encourage trying to develop for both implementations with some degree of symmetry so that everyone can do the same stuff no matter what phone they have. Not really something to solve on your end though I'm sure if getting the android version up to snuff was all that easy whoever has been volunteering all of their time to work on our unofficial app would have fixed it up by now.

As to your suggestion of forcing people to use the mobile app or a popup or whatever I'd generally be in favor of a popup directing people over to the app, especially if we got it shined up real good so that it was almost as good as the site proper!

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i read the forums on my phone sometimes and i have never used the mobile app

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

A one-time popup letting people know the app exists and where to get it would be good.

Awful app on iOS is really great and works so well it already feels official.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lowtax posted:

Every time in the past that I've asked "should I work on making this site look normal on mobile," the majority of people said don't bother. Which is why I haven't been doing it. But I assume a majority of users on mobile use the unofficial SA Forums app, so I was wondering if I should hook up with them and focus on mobile poo poo for their app, making it the OFFICIAL SA Forums app. Or I guess I could have one of those stupid boxes that says "USE THE GODDAMN MOBILE APP YOU PIECE OF poo poo" in huge-rear end letters, but at the bottom there's a real tiny link that says "no thanks, I want to see the hosed up site," and it obviously leads you to the forums and does not bug you again.

Ideas, suggestions?

See if you can work with the Awful app team. Theyve done a lot of work, and made something a lot of us use, if that helps you make your decision.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I just use the site on my phone, mainly because i hate having another app installed where a website will do. It would probably be super duper nice to the unofficial app folks to help their option work better for the people that prefer it, but as a fairly light user I'd just be content having post text scale nicely.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

r u ready to WALK posted:

A one-time popup letting people know the app exists and where to get it would be good.

Awful app on iOS is really great and works so well it already feels official.

If it could just have a store page and a search/post history for users it would be perfect. It even has some features the site proper doesn’t have, like a button to find your own posts in a thread.

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012
I browse the forums on mobile just fine without the app. I would prefer not to be forced to download yet another app. I used Awful in the past, but I don’t need it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Let me see polls and post threads in the android app and I'll be happy

Let the user know the alternative exists but honestly SA works well enough on an mobile browser

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yes but they need to make it so you can post threads in the app please

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I almost exclusively use my phone for the forums and don’t use an app. It works well in a phone browser, and I hate it when websites try to make me use an app instead.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love the Android app. In some ways it's even better than being on a PC.

Working with them on some things would be great, but let people view the unoptimized website if they want.

Some work phones won't allow you to install apps, and that's just one example why off the top of my head

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’d just use my browser for mobile if I didn’t get one of those annoying steal-focus-and-try-to-install-a-virus ads every month or so.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm amazed at how many of you use the terrible mobile website when the app exists and is free. Are any of you under 50?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I've never been able to get used to the app. I read the forums on my phone in landscape and everything works fine in chrome.

The only annoying thing is gifs or videos hidden behind spoiler tags rarely work properly. Otherwise I prefer the desktop site to the app.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

app is app store wouldn't be in chrome.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

pixaal posted:

app is app store wouldn't be in chrome.

There is an android app

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am a complete weird and view this site directly in mobile web and won't be installing a theoretical awful app unless I have literally no choice because I'm lazy to change.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

TheAardvark posted:

I'm amazed at how many of you use the terrible mobile website when the app exists and is free. Are any of you under 50?

Yeah idk what y'all are on about, I've been using the awful app for ages now and the difference is like night and day. I think it's worth collaborating with them in the long term, the last thing we need is less accessibility for an already ancient forum

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The app is way easier with a touch device the website is way easier on a computer

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

TheAardvark posted:

50 year old checking in. I've been using the Awful app for years, it's great

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Help support the app to become official, don't mandate it though. Also those pop-ups on sites like imgur are insanely annoying so I wouldn't wish that upon people who choose to just browse the site on mobile without the app.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Awful App is fantastic and everyone should use it on mobile. So yes Richard you should work with the dev team to make it the Official Something Awful App :)

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

I am a complete weird and view this site directly in mobile web and won't be installing a theoretical awful app unless I have literally no choice because I'm lazy to change.

That sounds like something a cop would say

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Awful app is not great,not terrible,just ok.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FPzero posted:

Help support the app to become official, don't mandate it though. Also those pop-ups on sites like imgur are insanely annoying so I wouldn't wish that upon people who choose to just browse the site on mobile without the app.

Yeah, don’t pull a reddit and actively sabotage the mobile web site- maybe a “optimized experience on the app” message the first time you go but no reason to make things worse to push people to it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

lilbeefer posted:

I've never been able to get used to the app. I read the forums on my phone in landscape and everything works fine in chrome.

The only annoying thing is gifs or videos hidden behind spoiler tags rarely work properly. Otherwise I prefer the desktop site to the app.

I've never had a problem with just reading the site on Chrome on my phone. I've also never gotten pop-up ads the other person mentioned? Am I just lucky?

I tried the Reddit app once, and it seemed to use approximately 3x the data of just using the site. I have a Google Fi phone plan, and if I keep my mobile data under 1GB it only costs me 30 a month. ONE DAY of using the reddit app, minimized, used up a gig all by itself. Reddit cost me $10 that day.

I'd do my best to avoid a forced SA app.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006