Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Gotta say, "that's when I reach for my giant healing axe" just doesn't have quite the same ring to it unfortunately. Anyway, the journey begins! Check out them fancy rear end cutscenes and high frame rate no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pj912UHQsA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pWcgT9a55A

Two parts today, because I had to re-do the first one due to assorted goofups and promblems. But that's been sorted out, so enjoy!

Fun fact: The PS2-on-PS4 version actually does support twin stick FPS controls! You'd think this would be an improvement, but it's actually really awkward because of how fast the right stick controls the up/down look. While I was playing around with it, I ended up sticking with L2 and R2 to look anyway, which sounds about as wrong as it feels in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That buffalo thing is a Fei. It brings diseases to everything around it.
If you find a fire horse in the future, it is called a Lu Shu.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I see we've hit peak "budget PS2 voice acting" with this game, much in the way that Shadow Tower on the PSX was peak "budget PS1 voice acting"

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Angry_Ed posted:

I see we've hit peak "budget PS2 voice acting" with this game, much in the way that Shadow Tower on the PSX was peak "budget PS1 voice acting"

To be fair, though, this WAS a launch title. I'm sure there are much worse examples that don't have an excuse :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Never before has my redtext been so appropriate.

Professor Duck posted:

To be fair, though, this WAS a launch title. I'm sure there are much worse examples that don't have an excuse :v:

Suffer like G did? Oh wait, that was the Dreamcast. I do remember Vampire Night was pretty legendarily bad, but that wasn't much later in the generation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWZzD2Jg_4Q

Behold as I face off against two of my greatest enemies: Technical problems and being an idiot! I swear, that stupid key...

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 27, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I bet you can create a flying spell or a shield and you don't know it.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Scalding Coffee posted:

I bet you can create a flying spell or a shield and you don't know it.

We haven't had that knowledge passed down to us from the ancients yet

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

We haven't had that knowledge passed down to us from the ancients yet

The ancients are a bunch of cheap bastards, IMO. Give me the knowledge without making me guess at it, I say! Knowledge was meant to be shared! All power to the lazy, and so forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVfXwf9rHMs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeverpP7vQc

And now, further missteps and mistakes, but at least some progress! Lemme tell you, I feel pretty dumb after figuring out or uh, looking up that whole door thing. Not the game's fault, but I'm going to pretend it is. drat you Eternal Ring! :argh:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is the darkest lava I have ever seen.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wow this game looks horrible to navigate.
At least they learnt their lesson by the time KF4 rolled out?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wow this game looks horrible to navigate.
At least they learnt their lesson by the time KF4 rolled out?

Yeah it gets pretty confusing, all that extra fidelity and somehow it’s harder to find your way than King’s Field 1. Wait til you see the bonus dungeon!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that fog-filled meadow full of bees and Lizalfos just looked unpleasant to walk around, and I'm not even sure to what end other than that Ring of Power or w/e.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 6, 2021

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is a much less... chill game than the others in the series. You blast off whenever you move, and the music can get almost aggressive at times.

I know it's just a variation on the main theme, but the music in the 'flooded' area sounds like a twisted Dance of the Hours, and of course all I hear is Allan Sherman as a psycho: "Hello muddah... hello faddah too!"

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah that fog-filled meadow full of bees and Lizalfos just looked unpleasant to walk around, and I'm not even sure to what end other than that Ring of Power or w/e.

I'm not really sure there was anything else out there. We certainly didn't manage anything else other than that. Dewgy might know more than I, since he was at the helm and is currently playing through the whole thing again on PS5 for trophies.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Just popping in to say I've really enjoyed your LPs and I hope you keep doing them! Also I hope you get around to doing Evergrace because it's batshit and I don't know anyone who can really make any sense of it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EggsAisle posted:

Just popping in to say I've really enjoyed your LPs and I hope you keep doing them! Also I hope you get around to doing Evergrace because it's batshit and I don't know anyone who can really make any sense of it.

Thanks! It's on the list, though after this one we're taking a bit of a From break and tackling the Gabriel Knight series, for a completely different genre of painful old design. Probably gonna bump this thread when we get back for Evergrace though, so be on the lookout! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0E0DOITXiA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-MnFawLN2c

And with that, it's every From FPSRPG in the can unless I've forgotten one! This has been a hell of a janktastic journey, but I loved seeing all these old classics, some of them for the first time ever, and stumbling my way through them.

The clear highlight for me I think was Shadow Tower: Abyss, but I did love seeing and getting through the original PSX King's Field games finally. They've been on my backlog for basically forever, and it was well worth the time going through them. (I mean, maybe not for everyone, but I love classic games like this. :D)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The magic gem mechanic works in multiple ways. Placing gems on the left or right sides will influence the type of magic you can get, like buffs. Other times, simply having enough gem levels will determine the tier of stats you can get. Some magic rings you can get allows you to regen health, magic, find hidden items, or get experience by moving. There may be a slow fall spell.

There are a couple of weapons you can get, with one being massively powerful. You can guess where to find it. The bonus dungeon is four floors and you are at the right level for it. There are bonus bosses as well and you might also get to fight that red dragon.

I can guess there is an ending where you turn into a monster after a month. It is possible to slow time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Thanks for doing the LP! It was a lot of fun watching the progression of the games. I think KF2 was the most fun to see, although it was clear how much you were enjoying Shadow Tower Abyss and that seemed pretty good.