Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Me and my family drove 100km each way to attend a midnight screening of Rise of Skywalker, on a night where I had to go to work the next day at 5.30am, and honestly I've never spent so much effort on something so incredibly disappointing and infuriating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

man this thread is loving depressing. some total trash is gonna be our last movie going experience

Amen. Mine's The Last Jedi (at least it wasn't TROS!).

Pyrotoad posted:

The World of Warcraft movie. I'm okay with that.

Ooooof

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Zombieland 2 where I spent $17 CAD on a fishbowl filled with slushie booze

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Films I saw theatrically this year:

- Cats (2019)
- Hard Ticket to Hawaii (1987)
- The Gentlemen (2020)
- The Rhythm Section (2020)
- Cats (2019)
- 1917 (2019)
- Birds of Prey (2020)
- Destruction Babies (2016)
- My First Film (2018-2020)

A lot of audience participation films, actually. I saw Cats on Christmas day in a near empty theater but went again in January with friends only to be surprised to find it sold out with a rambunctious crowd. I saw it a third time in February at a nearly sold out, 400-seat theater as a midnight showing with full on audience participation. I also caught Hard Ticket to Hawaii as part of a "Trash Night" audience participation screening and capped it off with My First Film, which is a much more serious multimedia/personal experience.

Destruction Babies I saw with the director in person for a Q&A. Birds of Prey was just a normal screening but was actually fun. 1917 was fine and The Gentlemen and The Rhythm Section both suck.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'd have to go check my credit statement to see which one was last, but it's either Parasite or Color Out of Space. Both were worth the price of admission.

Cusakfehn
Apr 22, 2008
My wife and I saw Emma the Greed on the same night about a week before the theaters closed.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I miss theaters man :(

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Queen and Slim

Very happy with that.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Annihilation because I was able to sneak in.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Saw E.T. at the drive-in last week, haven't seen it since I was six and it was still great. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling great and had to skip out out Close Encounters, which really annoyed me because I keep missing opportunities to catch that on the big screen, but c'est la vie.

The local drive-in is now open every day and showing double bills of classic movies, mostly from the late 60s-early 90s, and certainly making money hand-over-fist in the process. Revenge of the Drive-In, 2020 keepin' it interesting.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

McSpanky posted:

Saw E.T. at the drive-in last week, haven't seen it since I was six and it was still great. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling great and had to skip out out Close Encounters, which really annoyed me because I keep missing opportunities to catch that on the big screen, but c'est la vie.

The local drive-in is now open every day and showing double bills of classic movies, mostly from the late 60s-early 90s, and certainly making money hand-over-fist in the process. Revenge of the Drive-In, 2020 keepin' it interesting.

drat. I'm jealous. There's 3 or 4 drive ins with an hour of me but they're all showing stuff released right before the pandemic or hit VOD during it.

edit: Do you know if these are film prints, digital prints, or are they just sticking an ET Blu-ray in a disc player?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Raffi going full Antifa and drive-ins coming back in the year of our lord 2020 are two tangents I can really get behind in this hellscape.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

drat. I'm jealous. There's 3 or 4 drive ins with an hour of me but they're all showing stuff released right before the pandemic or hit VOD during it.

edit: Do you know if these are film prints, digital prints, or are they just sticking an ET Blu-ray in a disc player?

They're probably digital prints, unless their projectionist was really good at cutting the ad/trailer/DVD feeds in without the menus showing. At the very least it wasn't the dumb walkie-talkies edit.

They're changing the lineup every week too, this week it's Raiders/Temple on screen one and BTTF 1/2 on screen two. If you ask me the second one should be 2/3, but maybe this is a clever plan to run both third entries on the same screen next week and get all the money.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The last jedi

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I saw Spider-man Far From Home. The movie where spider-man does drone strikes.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Made it to three films this year.

Weathering With You: Like 5 people in the theater. One guy sat right next to me and my fiance (again, there are like 5 people in the theater) and tried to talk to anyone who would listen about Digimon, and then before the movie started he got into an argument with an usher about why the only swag you got for going was a small poster.

Parasite: Literally no one else in the theater. I suppose it would've been a good one to end on, but

Bird of Prey And The Rest Of The Title: Saw it right after release, but it was fairly empty. During the trailers a very large gentleman laughed so hard at the car swinging in the Fast & Furious trailer that he started hyperventilating, left the theater, and never returned. I suppose it was his final film in a theater either way.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 10, 2020

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

I saw Spider-man Far From Home. The movie where spider-man does drone strikes.

What a mess, they even wasted Jake Gyllenhall.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Bird of Prey And The Rest Of The Title: Saw it right after release, but it was fairly empty. During the trailers a very large gentleman laughed so hard at the car swinging in the Fast & Furious trailer that he started hyperventilating, left the theater, and never returned. I suppose it was his final film in a theater either way.

lmfao

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What a mess, they even wasted Jake Gyllenhall.

I really don't like this new Spider-man. He's not plain awful like the Andrew Garfield one, but I can't identify him as the character at all. He's this nervous dweeb who idolizes a corporate fucklord and has access to incredibly advanced technology, it's so alien to me. He's supposed to be an angry loner living in a crappy apartment trying to do the right thing, not the heir apparent to loving Iron Man and in charge of the biggest guns in the entire world.

More like PMC man.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 13, 2020

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I like the current Spider-Man actor for sure, but his movies have been less than memorable for me. I also don’t like the whole “Iron Boy” thing because I think it detracts from the appeal of his character being a nerd that has to get by on his own cleverness.

However, that scene in Far From Home where Mysterio clowns on Spidey with a bunch of illusions was really badass. I just think it’s funny that even his rogues gallery so far is “disgruntled with tony stark” guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't like this new Spider-man. He's not plain awful like the Andrew Garfield one, but I can't identify him as the character at all. He's this nervous dweeb who idolizes a corporate fucklord and has access to incredibly advanced technology, it's so alien to me. He's supposed to be an angry loner living in a crappy apartment trying to do the right thing, not the heir apparent to loving Iron Man and in charge of the biggest guns in the entire world.

More like PMC man.

JROTC Spiderman is a little fuckwad.