Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

you can't tip cows, they sleep lying down
wow, that's incredibly rude

i thank them for their service and give them 20%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/29/us/speaker-gingrich-mixes-politics-and-paleontology.html

quote:

Speaker Gingrich Mixes Politics and Paleontology
By Jerry Gray
Aug. 29, 1997

Somewhere short of a heat stroke, with a world-class paleontologist coaching him, a Hollywood star squatting nearby mumbling encouragement, anxious aides checking their watches and even more antsy security men on the lookout for rattlesnakes in the scrub brush, Newt Gingrich accomplished his goal: he found a dinosaur bone.

Looking like a pudgy Indiana Jones in jeans, plaid shirt and wide-brimmed hat, lugging a backpack bulging with pickax, chisels and a wisk broom, the Speaker of the House chipped away a crust of brittle stones and dried mud to expose his Jurassic treasure. He grinned broadly and proclaimed, ''I feel like a 9-year-old.''

Mr. Gingrich's bent for animals has long rivaled his passion for politics. Frequent photo sessions in his Capitol Hill office portray him holding assorted critters brought in by zoo keepers from all over the country; he reveled in a moose-watching expedition to New Hampshire two years ago and acted as ringmaster at a circus performance on the Capitol grounds in his earliest days in power. And, Mr. Gingrich said that as an adolescent, he dreamed of becoming a zoo keeper or a paleontologist.

But the Speaker took one of his oddest detours ever from politics on Wednesday, interrupting a two-week-long national tour to fulfill a lifelong fantasy, which he pursued with such dogged determination that he refused to leave the jealously guarded private site just east of Bozeman until he came up with the booty.

That took many long, hot hours, even with the assistance of Dr. John Horner, a renowned paleontologist who served as a consultant on the movie ''Jurassic Park'' and its sequel ''Lost World.'' After three hours of digging, which produced only buckets full of rubble, a slight stir was caused when the actor Peter Fonda and his wife unexpectedly appeared over the crest of a hill while hiking from their nearby ranch. Recognizing Dr. Horner and Mr. Gingrich, the Fondas marched over to greet them and watch the Speaker's uneventful progress.

''It's hot, it's windy, there's a lot of dirt, a lot of rock,'' a disappointed Mr. Gingrich told reporters as he took a long-delayed lunch break.

The night before, he abandoned the polemics of Capitol Hill to debate the feeding habits of Tyrannosaurus rex with Dr. Horner, a professor of paleontology at Montana State University in Bozeman. The Speaker, an ardent fan of T. rex, keeps a massive head of the beast on a shelf in his Capitol Hill offices, a cast on loan from the Smithsonian that is made from the very dinosaur that is the centerpiece exhibit at the Museum of the Rockies.

A crowd of about 200 people paid $100 apiece at a museum fund-raiser on Tuesday night to sip wine, pose for individual pictures with Mr. Gingrich and Dr. Horner and listen to them clash, sometimes tongue-in-cheek but often in serious academic discourse (between swigs of beer), over whether T. rex was a scavenger or a predator.

https://www.politico.com/story/2011/12/newt-reins-himself-in-for-final-push-070981

quote:

Newt reins himself in for final push
By JAMES HOHMANN and GINGER GIBSON 12/31/2011 04:08 PM EST
Of course, he’s not a completely changed man. At a town hall meeting here Saturday afternoon, Gingrich delivered his neatly segmented remarks on taxes, regulations and an overarching economy, but when asked to explain his position on global warming, he delivered a new line.

“I’m an amateur paleontologist,” Gingrich said. “I spend a lot of time looking at the Earth’s temperature for a very long time. I’m a lot harder to convince than just looking at a computer model.”

uhhhhh, Newt was sort of right on on thing though

quote:

Take the last stop on Tuesday at Mabe’s Pizza in Decorah, where a woman asked if America is prepared for a pandemic.

“I honestly don’t know, and it would depend on what kind of pandemic it was,” Gingrich said.

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 04:58 on Apr 22, 2020

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lmao

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

Do paleontologists get guns pointed at them by dingus landowners while working on a site like my archaeologist uncle does? Or is that just because he works in Idaho? Now that I think about it does that happen outside the u.s.?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
My son recently dug up some dinosaur fossils. He put them together like how the skeleton must have been. What do you guys think? He thinks its a new species of T-Rex, he calls it 'Minisaurus Rex'. He wanted me to show it to some scientists, and I figure you guys are close enough.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

One big problem:

Where are the feathers?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

sullat posted:

My son recently dug up some dinosaur fossils. He put them together like how the skeleton must have been. What do you guys think? He thinks its a new species of T-Rex, he calls it 'Minisaurus Rex'. He wanted me to show it to some scientists, and I figure you guys are close enough.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Funny, we just read that book...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sullat posted:

Tell ur son that we want to see more of his paleontology digs, at his earliest convenience, please. :hai:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Lightning Knight posted:

Tell ur son that we want to see more of his paleontology digs, at his earliest convenience, please. :hai:

Agreed, it's much nicer than my own childhood archeological playground digs that just ended up with me bringing shards of glass home from grade school.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pitcher Witcher posted:

Do paleontologists get guns pointed at them by dingus landowners while working on a site like my archaeologist uncle does? Or is that just because he works in Idaho? Now that I think about it does that happen outside the u.s.?

yes and yes

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Pitcher Witcher posted:

you get guns pointed at you trying to work with live animals too. nothing makes people act crazy like a little bit of land :/

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/04/first-spinosaurus-tail-found-confirms-dinosaur-was-swimming/
Ah so that's what this tweet was implying

https://twitter.com/TomHoltzPaleo/status/1255488851893800961

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I know that paleontologists and archaeologists are very delicate when excavating, but how do you avoid breaking anything in the shovel/pickaxe stage before you know what's there?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Flavius Aetass posted:

I know that paleontologists and archaeologists are very delicate when excavating, but how do you avoid breaking anything in the shovel/pickaxe stage before you know what's there?

Have a basic idea of what you are digging in.

Thing is most dinosaur digs start with bones on the surface and folks dig around it. Still, some breakage is unavoidable. Preparation is controlled destruction.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Have a basic idea of what you are digging in.

Thing is most dinosaur digs start with bones on the surface and folks dig around it. Still, some breakage is unavoidable. Preparation is controlled destruction.
A lot of skin impressions were lost because of careless excavation

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

A lot of skin impressions were lost because of careless excavation

https://twitter.com/TomHoltzPaleo/status/1258014564748349441

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

that looks like a goddamned horse hoof

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/NHMU/status/1258811526472847361

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

holy fuckin h*ck

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen some fossil marine reptile paddles where the bones were replaced by gem quality opal.

Wait here is a whole pliosaur: https://io9.gizmodo.com/eric-the-pliosaur-one-of-the-most-interesting-fossils-5987941

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bilirubin posted:

I've seen some fossil marine reptile paddles where the bones were replaced by gem quality opal.

Wait here is a whole pliosaur: https://io9.gizmodo.com/eric-the-pliosaur-one-of-the-most-interesting-fossils-5987941

these kinds of fossils are probably fairly valuable, getting any of them into museums or scientific labs instead of private collections - or worse, destroyed to make jewelry - is a minor miracle I imagine

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

these kinds of fossils are probably fairly valuable, getting any of them into museums or scientific labs instead of private collections - or worse, destroyed to make jewelry - is a minor miracle I imagine
Speaking of which https://twitter.com/NaturelsWeird/status/1260614924037996546

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

am I crazy for thinking private collections should be illegal, or at least heavily regulated and permitted? not necessarily for common stuff like invertebrates or plants, but it seems wild for rich people to buy up dinosaur fossils which the wider scientific community may never know about.

Everything about paleontology I learned from Walking with Dinosaurs and that documentary about Sue being excavated. So please tell me if this is stupid for reasons I'm not thinking of.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Squalid posted:

since someone mentioned paleoart and how a lot of artists depicted dinosaurs with bare exposed teeth like crocodiles, I'm going to post one of the best paleoartists, Charles R Knight. Knight produced his most famous work in the late 19th and early 20th century. Although his recreations were limited by the mainstream interpretations of dinosaur biology at the time, they were relatively pioneering in their depictions of dinosaurs as active and dynamic animals.

Besides enjoying their artistic value I think it is interesting to compare his recreations with those of later artists. It's interesting how based on our current mainstream understanding, he probably gets things right that many later recreations got wrong. For example his inclusion of gums on the above depiction of Tyrannosaurus rex, which many later artists would remove, and his attention to get the fatty and muscular tissue right to avoid the emaciated look of eighties paleoart.

While of course the depicted behavior of the two Dryptosauri in the last image I posted is speculative, I love the cat like movements he gives them. So many illustrations just have the animals staring blankly off into the distance like a bored cow, but Knight was excellent at actually giving his subjects a spark of life.

pbs eons, a childish show for children I watch, did an episode related to this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JDnQmBFxIfE

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Atrocious Joe posted:

am I crazy for thinking private collections should be illegal, or at least heavily regulated and permitted? not necessarily for common stuff like invertebrates or plants, but it seems wild for rich people to buy up dinosaur fossils which the wider scientific community may never know about.

Everything about paleontology I learned from Walking with Dinosaurs and that documentary about Sue being excavated. So please tell me if this is stupid for reasons I'm not thinking of.

I can't really think of a reason why not making sure fossils are held as heritage of all humankind, or what have you, and always stored in publicly owned and operated museums/research institutes, wouldn't be the correct thing to do.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I can't really think of a reason why not making sure fossils are held as heritage of all humankind, or what have you, and always stored in publicly owned and operated museums/research institutes, wouldn't be the correct thing to do.

it would deny rich people a moment of novelty, the greatest crime of all

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Atrocious Joe posted:

In Canada this is mostly the case, that fossils are considered public heritage and must be kept in a public institution unless deemed not scientifically important (with some variation province to province) but in the US ultimately things found on private property are able to be sold. And most of, say, Texas, is privately owned.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Look at this sick filth

https://twitter.com/ComicaI/status/1270129999903969280?s=19

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

sullat posted:

Your son is a charlatan!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Was the Spinosaurus news that they walked on their knuckles or that their tails were perfect for swimming?

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
I did some cool fieldwork recently

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=EWu1vCgdnzs

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
rocks in their natural habitat lol owns

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
cool video, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
Thanks, nerds! The sound was rough filming on the road, but the what seemed like hourly passing of slaughtered pig / nightmare corpse trucks was waaaay worse!

E: I really need to update the current photo the museum has for me to the new, goon approved heavyweight version lmao!