Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hello!

Welcome to a thread about paleontology, both the science of it and the politics! This is a thread to discuss anything that falls under the field of paleontology, defined by Wikipedia as "the scientific study of life that existed prior to, and sometimes including, the start of the Holocene Epoch (roughly 11,700 years before present)."

This means motherfuckin' dinosaurs hell yeah!!!

But also any other ancient life, including Cenozoic mammals to the Cambrian explosion.

However, this thread is also for discussing ongoing legal issues, court cases, or political disputes surrounding the fossils of ancient life, such as what happens when fossils are found on land belonging to Native peoples. You can also discuss scientific disputes surrounding ancient life, if that's your bag.

But most importantly post pictures of motherfuckin' dinosaurs hell yeah!!!

PS: the "Poo" in the title refers to coprolite which is the scientific name for fossilized poop. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dinosaurs... are cool!!!

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Roth posted:

Dinosaurs... are cool!!!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Dinosaurs....suck!!! That's why they all died!

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Julias posted:

Dinosaurs....suck!!! That's why they all died!

they didn't all die you numbskull, they live on as birds!!!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

god must have really loved and hated the dinosaurs

he created them first, gave them the world for hundreds of millions of years, then wiped them all out!

what did the dinosaurs do to make god hate them?

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

What's y'all's favorite dinosaur, triceratops is a classic imo

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

PUSSY MASTER 007 posted:

What's y'all's favorite dinosaur, triceratops is a classic imo

Tho its technically a Synapsid, Dimetrodon is my favorite

Its that big ol sail and that goofy grin

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

bedpan posted:

god must have really loved and hated the dinosaurs

he created them first, gave them the world for hundreds of millions of years, then wiped them all out!

what did the dinosaurs do to make god hate them?

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i'd just like to say, gently caress algae. it burdened us with oil and also a breathable atmosphere

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TetZoo/status/1243646412862173185?s=20
Dinos are cool

hot take: ceratopsids like triceratops were opportunistic scavengers
http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2015/02/controversial-ceratopsids-revisited.html

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
paleo art or whatever was so fuckin mindblowing as a kid

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i love dinosaurs

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Wanted By Weed posted:

they didn't all die you numbskull, they live on as birds!!!
Were dinosaurs taxonomically birds, or were they the lizard ancestors of birds

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

after the corvid thread has its moment, this thread deffo needs some time up at the top

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Daikloktos posted:

birds are all descended from avialan dinosaurs, which were a kind of small therapod that figured out how to fly.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Daikloktos posted:

birds are dinosaurs

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

just for a quick frame of reference, here is a diagram indicating some major anatomical similarities between a large predatory therapod and a modern duck.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

Howdy, socially anxious paleontologist here! Also, Atrocious, are you Darren? Cuz you know me through the grapevine!

I'm prob not gonna post much cuz posting gives me the agita, but I'm psyched about this thread!!!

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GCU Quelle Suprise posted:

I'm prob not gonna post much cuz posting gives me the agita, but I'm psyched about this thread!!!

I will appreciate literally anything you post, paleontologists are doing God's work

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

Wanted By Weed posted:

I will appreciate literally anything you post, paleontologists are doing God's work

I'm better at photos than words so I'll dig up some cool ones for this thread :D

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wanted By Weed posted:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Howdy, socially anxious paleontologist here! Also, Atrocious, are you Darren? Cuz you know me through the grapevine!

please let me know if anything is wrong in the op or needs to be added, tia

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I miss the feeling of walking to the library on summer vacation and staring at the illustrations in a gregory s paul book for hours :unsmith:

is it true that t. rex had a large frontal ribcage thing that made him barrel shaped, unlike the sleeker versions we've seen since the 80s or so?

e: i am a good 20 years behind on dinosaurs btw

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

My homepage:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_prehistoric_animals

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Is it true that many of the species we thought were distinct are actually just one species at different phases of life? And that the skull shapes of an individual could change a lot in the course of their life, or vary a lot between males and females? I remember reading that somewhere many years ago

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I remember reading that something as well-known as triceratops could have been just a juvenile chasmosaurus IIRC

I haven't been able to find any reference to that since reading it a few years back and if wikipedia is a guide to general consensus I'd say triceratops is definitely its own thing

i would imagine the real problems exist for species that are identified based on like two bone fragments or whatever

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
not sure why those things remind me of james carville

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I wonder if the next dominant species will do a bunch of nerd poo poo with our bones

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I wonder if the next dominant species will do a bunch of nerd poo poo with our bones

I hope they draw weird pictures of us based only on our bones that probably don't actually look like humans really did.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I hope they draw weird pictures of us based only on our bones that probably don't actually look like humans really did.

While most depictions of humans show them with a thin layer of fur, recent discovery of human fossils at extreme latitudes suggest that humans actually had much thicker coats than other primates

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

it's brontosaurus not "apatosaurus" you loving libs

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Dinosaurs are good

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

The dinosaurs started an advanced civilization and left earth for the delta quadrant where they became racists

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Flavius Aetass posted:

I remember reading that something as well-known as triceratops could have been just a juvenile chasmosaurus IIRC

I haven't been able to find any reference to that since reading it a few years back and if wikipedia is a guide to general consensus I'd say triceratops is definitely its own thing

i would imagine the real problems exist for species that are identified based on like two bone fragments or whatever

Torosaurus not Chasmosaurus. Most folks would agree with Triceratops being its own thing but its an interesting argument.

twoday posted:

Is it true that many of the species we thought were distinct are actually just one species at different phases of life?

Its not super common but yes (trilobites, "branchiosaurs" are two that come to mind).

quote:

And that the skull shapes of an individual could change a lot in the course of their life, or vary a lot between males and females? I remember reading that somewhere many years ago
A little less so but variation is a problem when working with incomplete data such as the fossil record. Also a problem is what we call "cryptic species" among living animals, that only differ genetically. You would never tell that from fossils.

(I'm also a paleontologist, and I know of a few others at various stages of their careers on the forums)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol I am not Darren. I love the guys twitter tho.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

i remember a cool art series that tried to depict how modern animals like cows, wolves, etc. would look if the same rules and liberties dinosaur artists took were taken with them

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Dr. Killjoy posted:

i remember a cool art series that tried to depict how modern animals like cows, wolves, etc. would look if the same rules and liberties dinosaur artists took were taken with them

All Yesterdays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Torosaurus not Chasmosaurus. Most folks would agree with Triceratops being its own thing but its an interesting argument.

we must go longer