Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Rasuna said something in the last episode about how being a mangaka might be red herring and that the Kabuki thing could be the real reason why he was so cold towards Kakushi. The simpler explanation makes more sense, but Rasuna's comments made me think I was missing some kind of cultural thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

macabresca posted:

Kakushi was also a manga artist while the grandfather was a """real""" artist? Maybe that's the reason. I remember that in one episode mr grandpa asked Kakushi if he'd let Hime date a mangaka and Kakushi replied that no way in hell or sth

I think that was more the case combined with the stereotypical father-in-law vs son-in-law rivalry

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Wark Say posted:

Remember that Katteni Kaizou got a 6-episode OVA during the Monogatari/Madoka hype height:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF3GlJc2GPQ

It was delightfully goofy. :allears:

So I'm on the second episode of this and seeing as Kakushi is essentially Kumeta's self-insert, I now completely understand why he wanted to keep Hime in the dark about his work for as long as possible.

I saw the first season of SZS as it came out and I don't remember there being nearly as much dumb dick and balls gags as in this OVA, if there were even any to this degree. It also makes sense of Kumeta's reaction of the anime being so beautiful such a shock to him. Knowing all that I'm laughing even harder at the stupid poo poo going on imagining Kakushi wanting to keep his daughter far, far away from it.

Edit: holy poo poo, is that the same Mario from the fashion shop?

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 22, 2020

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Coxswain Balls posted:

Rasuna said something in the last episode about how being a mangaka might be red herring and that the Kabuki thing could be the real reason why he was so cold towards Kakushi. The simpler explanation makes more sense, but Rasuna's comments made me think I was missing some kind of cultural thing.

Riiiight, I forgot about that, lol. I had problems parsing all the information at the beginning of the episode and since later they focused on something else it slipped my mind.

Xelkelvos posted:

I think that was more the case combined with the stereotypical father-in-law vs son-in-law rivalry

Yeah, that's a perfectly fine explanation for me but the show was also trying to give some additional reasons.