Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kakushigoto: My Dad's Ambition

Summary:

quote:

This story is about Gotou Kakushi, an artist who draws a somewhat vulgar manga, and tries to hide it for the sake of his daughter, Hime. A father-daughter tale of love and laughter.

A new adaptation of another Koji Kumeta work. The same author of Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei and Joshiraku. Expect puns, social commentary, and hijinks.

Our hero, Kakushi Goto. He's a mangaka who's famous for doing bawdy manga and wants to keep it a secret from his daughter. His name is a pun for "Secret"
(CV: Hiroshi Kamiya)

The daughter of our hero. Her name is also a pun for "Secret"

There are other characters whose names are also puns.

Funimation has acquired the series for streaming and is also producing a dub.

Official Website

Official Twitter

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
I'm a sucker for SoL shows and this was really good! It's also a lot funnier than I thought it'd be -- loved the bit about his daughter's social interpretations of the editor's sitting poses. And now I've learned to watch out for that god drat Fancypeeps, so the day wasn't entirely wasted.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

whoever's subbing this for funi seems a little bit outmatched, hopefully they get the hang of it better. really pleased with the direction though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

whoever's subbing this for funi seems a little bit outmatched, hopefully they get the hang of it better. really pleased with the direction though.

Kumeta's works are basically the sort of series that demand a Translator's Note page or addendum because of how much wordplay he does with stuff. All of the named characters have a pun or double meaning in their name just like in Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Adventures in typesetting aside, that first episode really snuck up on me. Liked it a whole lot.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Kumeta's works are basically the sort of series that demand a Translator's Note page or addendum because of how much wordplay he does with stuff. All of the named characters have a pun or double meaning in their name just like in Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei.

Christ, the Japanese just have a straight-up dedicated Wiki for it, and they don't need any reference for the wordplay.

which was basically how I made it through translating Goku/Zan/NML. Sadly, the pages are all 2-3 times as long as they were when scripts were due.

I am sad that Funi isn't going full ADVENTURES IN TYPESETTING, because the best part of SZS was coming up with absurd .rear end concepts and watching Plork somehow make them a reality.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
So is Goto dead in ten years or what?

I find the future scenes kind of a buzz kill :smith:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Professor Irony posted:

So is Goto dead in ten years or what?

I find the future scenes kind of a buzz kill :smith:

It's definitely an interesting framing device and without having read the manga, I'm not sure what the context is specifically. It definitely wants to add that element of mystery to what's otherwise a gag series + dad series

Edit: From what I've seen elsewhere, some of the punchlines are trimmed from the chapters used to make episodes so it might be a deliberate spin by the director

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 16, 2020

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I going to assume he had to skip town to take on a secret job teaching a bunch of trope teens at Shaft High.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I couldn't stop laughing the entire episode. From the OP it looks like the chef, the florist, and the aspiring idol are all going to be regulars along with Ichiko and I can't wait to see what kind of foolishness results from Kakushi's obliviousness.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Still loving this show, but a couple weeks ago I asked my teacher friend from Japan about that stick Ichiko's always carrying. I thought it was for corralling large groups of primary school kids to keep them out of traffic, but she told me they're anti-pervert sticks and she remembers the training video she watched to learn how to use them. They even have them hanging in the walls at schools and have regular drills where a dude shows up pretending to be a creeper and the teachers just go to town on him with huge forkies.

I've been obsessed ever since and am so close to buying or building one. Disarm all cops and make them do their patrols with bigass forks. Better yet, everyone should have the right to bear forks.

https://youtu.be/7xUGHEAhvRk
https://youtu.be/OUkA8BlfSNY
https://youtu.be/Hqtny9yj8u8

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Cops are already untrustworthy with billy clubs. Now you suggest we give them pole arms?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

From what understand their use is for restraining someone with minimal injury instead of simply beating the poo poo out of them. Also, giant aluminum forks are way more hilarious (and safer) than weighted batons or firearms.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One of the videos that came out of China in February of people being taken to containment facilities showed the guards using that sort of pole.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I apologise for not fully considering the ethical and political implications of replacing police firearms with big goofy forks in the comedy anime thread.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Hime seems to be voiced by Takahashi Rie.

I hope her elementary school friends who are just Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei characters kept their VAs.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Tarezax posted:

Hime seems to be voiced by Takahashi Rie.

I hope her elementary school friends who are just Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei characters kept their VAs.

At least in the first episode they've plowed through enough visual references to characters in SZS.

Tales of Woe posted:

I think as long as there isn't a wealth of white/chalk boards they should be safe.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

2reachmu posted:

At least in the first episode they've plowed through enough visual references to characters in SZS.

I think as long as there isn't a wealth of white/chalk boards they should be safe.

Kumeta also reuses character designs and he's 100% self-aware of that and even pokes fun at it in one of his manga.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.doglistener.co.uk/humour/commandments.shtml

Here's the link for the 10 commandments for Dog ownership that they seem to be referencing. Presumably when it got translated into Japanese and used for the movie 10 Promises to My Dog it was a lot less dark and made more sad. Like there's a number of ones in the original that talk about animal abuse which is probably necessary but also makes it more grim than melancholy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that Katteni Kaizou got a 6-episode OVA during the Monogatari/Madoka hype height:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF3GlJc2GPQ

It was delightfully goofy. :allears:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I've caught up to the series and it's pretty good! Not all jokes land but the endearing characters and very subtle not at all harsh criticism of manga industry more than make up for it.
And I love the song they used in ed, so drat catchy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7OJkEJv1to&feature=youtu.be

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I'm gonna be real mad if this ends with the dad killing himself.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope the punchline is he's not dead, he just finally took a long vacation.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

I hope the punchline is he's not dead, he just finally took a long vacation.

I feel like that's what it's leading up to. Dad's name got linked to his author name and he decides to hang up the pen and run away to escape the fans and paparazzi.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The punchline is that he's Tim Buckley and he made loss.jpg

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivh8jDrSXTA

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was unexpectedly beautiful.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm not crying. You're crying.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://animecorner.me/2020/06/kakushigoto-author-reveals-reason-why-he-concludes-the-manga-along-with-the-anime/

Kumeta Kouji posted:

I’m not going to lie. Don’t care about the manga, please watch the anime.

It's impressive that the manga author says the anime is the definitive version.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm not crying. You're crying.

Goddamned ninja onion slicers... :cry:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, I was half right

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It felt like it wrapped up to quickly. Was him being a secret love child and having a sister ever hinted at? What did it add at the end?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kild posted:

It felt like it wrapped up to quickly. Was him being a secret love child and having a sister ever hinted at? What did it add at the end?

"secret love child" is "kakushigo"

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tarezax posted:

The whole series was just a slow-wind-up pun hidden in the pun that was the nominal premise for the series.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tarezax posted:

Oh snap.

That ending was a tear-jerker, and I especially liked seeing how things turned out in the future. Rasuna's an awesome friend for dropping everything to help out her old sensei, especially after becoming a famous mangaka. Same goes for all the others, of course (including Tomaruin, I guess).

Naru becoming an investigative journalist was interesting, so I'm wondering if You or Kumi showed up and I missed them because they looked different.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

The whole series was just a slow-wind-up pun hidden in the pun that was the nominal premise for the series.

Kumeta really likes puns.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's an absolutely gorgeous show, and it must mean a lot to the production crew for Kumeta to say that. I'm really happy for them and hope the show gets the critical reception it deserves.

Related to that, the whole time I was trying to figure out the meaning behind the two different art styles in the OP and between the past and future scenes. I think the finale answered that with how the hijinks were Kakushi's idealized memories of the happy times before life figuratively hit him like a ton of bricks (and later on, literally with a ton of manga). Including the OP and ED everything was a treat to look at.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I thought that "Amnesia? What a cliche!" line was a bit :rolleyes: but all in all a very cute and heartwarming finale. Also that manga accident was hilarious

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

One thing I didn't fully understand, why would Hime's grandfather harbour animosity towards Kakushi because of his family background? Is it a cultural thing? I don't quite get why he would be such a dick to his son-in-law because his daughter married into a family of Kabuki actors. If anything, that sounds pretty neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Kakushi was also a manga artist while the grandfather was a """real""" artist? Maybe that's the reason. I remember that in one episode mr grandpa asked Kakushi if he'd let Hime date a mangaka and Kakushi replied that no way in hell or sth