Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Holy poo poo I am stealing the gently caress out of this image, because there are too many uses for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Game good and strongly interesting despite me having trouble understanding the rules for flight on a first pass. More thoughts to follow but more 30 Years Wars should start from someone throwing the new emperor out a window.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Hostile V posted:

Game good and strongly interesting despite me having trouble understanding the rules for flight on a first pass. More thoughts to follow but more 30 Years Wars should start from someone throwing the new emperor out a window.

The best advice I can give for understanding the flight rules is to just try running a dogfight--even if you just "run" it for yourself, with a single PC plane vs. a generic NPC. The air combat system in Flying Circus is heavily interconnected, and it's really hard to grok how it all fits together (both in terms of the moves interacting with each other and with the actual airplane stats) by just reading all the moves.

Also, if you click the Plane Builder Link on any of the planes in the aircraft catalogue, there's an Interactive Dashboard option at the top of the page that pulls up an editable version of the instrument panel that pre-calculates a lot of the math for you, which can be a big help. I think the only thing it doesn't handle are the rules for altitude effects on p. 56 of the core.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I've created a Tabletop Simulator mod that contains working sheets for Flying Circus. It uses tokens instead of pointers for altitude and speed, since TTS can be finnicky with pointers
Link To The Mod

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
is gritty mandatory

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
obviously, the rule says its a picture of what you're fighting for

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

spectralent posted:

is gritty mandatory

I mean, technically you could put any picture there. It's a separate component. I guess you could put your dog there or something, if you really want to

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Also, a question that pops into my head sometimes: has anyone made a space dogfighters hack of FC? It's probably the best dogfight system I've ever read by a mile so it seems like a great base but if someone has already done that or it's already a future project then it seems pointless to duplicate the effort.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TG > Flying Circus: Gritty-inspired Aviation Fantasy

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

spectralent posted:

Also, a question that pops into my head sometimes: has anyone made a space dogfighters hack of FC? It's probably the best dogfight system I've ever read by a mile so it seems like a great base but if someone has already done that or it's already a future project then it seems pointless to duplicate the effort.

I'm not sure the system would work in space, since it's centered around gravity and the tradeoff of speed vs altitude vs turning.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm not sure the system would work in space, since it's centered around gravity and the tradeoff of speed vs altitude vs turning.

Oh, for sure, it's absolutely not a hard space sim, but star-wars-y space fights where for some inexplicable reason people are ducking, weaving and diving? I think it'd be fine there. You'd just have to rename altitude to potential or something. Or, don't! Keep it altitude! Space is basically just a WW2 naval battle, right? We know which way is up because it's where all the ships are oriented towards.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Anyone got any idea of how to hack this for Battletech?

I want an alternate for ATOW that that I don't have to give those thieving bastards over at catalyst money for.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

spectralent posted:

Oh, for sure, it's absolutely not a hard space sim, but star-wars-y space fights where for some inexplicable reason people are ducking, weaving and diving? I think it'd be fine there. You'd just have to rename altitude to potential or something. Or, don't! Keep it altitude! Space is basically just a WW2 naval battle, right? We know which way is up because it's where all the ships are oriented towards.

I have a friend who is working on a Star Wars hack specifically that looks amazing, I helped in a few places like coming up with mechanics for shields that feel like the ones in the movies.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

open_sketchbook posted:

I have a friend who is working on a Star Wars hack specifically that looks amazing, I helped in a few places like coming up with mechanics for shields that feel like the ones in the movies.

Oh, hell yeah. Is that available anywhere or is it still in private draft form?

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

spectralent posted:

Oh, hell yeah. Is that available anywhere or is it still in private draft form?

Still private as I understand it, I'll make sure to post it the moment I can!

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

I hate to double-post, but Flying Circus' print on demand version is finally up on DriveThruRPG! About time really.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/310013/Flying-Circus--Core-Rulebook

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
starting a pbp (again) fingers crossed for a whole routine this time!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3976165#post516899682

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Heyyyyyyyy my physical copy arrived. Now to try and find time and people

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I'm having a pretty hard time finding a place to ask this so I'll do it here.

Does the Farmer Move "You came in that thing?" disable the Worker move "Old Reliable"?

quote:

You Came in That Thing?: After you’ve flown a plane three times, you can roll on the Used chart and take the penalty. In exchange, select another of the penalties and apply its inverse. Restoring the plane to New doesn’t remove the advantageous modifications.
You can do this twice per plane. The bonus only work for you and people you Trust.

quote:

Old Reliable: After 3 Routines in the same plane, without it being modified or upgraded, the plane gains +8 Toughness and +3 Reliability. This is once per plane, and the bonus is removed if the plane is modified.

It doesn't say it's a modification or an upgrade but there's disagreement in the group about whether it disables it or not.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

it is an advantageous modification.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Just chiming in to say the game looks amazing, I have my physical copy and am trying desperately to trawl up enough people for a game (such is life). Is there something wrong with me if I admit I had an easier time wrapping my head around this gameplay than any other PBA?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

OscarDiggs posted:

I'm having a pretty hard time finding a place to ask this so I'll do it here.
Does the Farmer Move "You came in that thing?" disable the Worker move "Old Reliable"?
It doesn't say it's a modification or an upgrade but there's disagreement in the group about whether it disables it or not.
Good news! In the 1.3.2 update it was clarified that YCITT does not count against Old Reliable!

sleepy.eyes posted:

Just chiming in to say the game looks amazing, I have my physical copy and am trying desperately to trawl up enough people for a game (such is life). Is there something wrong with me if I admit I had an easier time wrapping my head around this gameplay than any other PBA?
Nah, I found the same thing. Check in on the discord for people starting new games, it's pretty active.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

just in case people were wondering how the land combat expansion is going

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Love to see experimental forms of ground transport that are just as weird as experimental planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Glazius posted:

Love to see experimental forms of ground transport that are just as weird as experimental planes.

And, by the look of it, equally unreliable and dangerous.