Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Even knowing what was coming, it was a great ending.

I also appreciate that the game never really gives you any DEEP LORE about the heart of the woods. It just is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
we actually learned a decent amount about how the Darkwood worked, but any researcher who could have reached the heart would already be under its spell. And whatever the Three knew, they would never share.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

StillFullyTerrible posted:

we actually learned a decent amount about how the Darkwood worked, but any researcher who could have reached the heart would already be under its spell. And whatever the Three knew, they would never share.

I meant more in the sense that the thing the protagonist destroys at the end has no origins or motivations. It just is and it does what it does. It remains a mystery.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Yeah - we do learn about what it's LIKE, kind of, though there's a lot of conflicting evidence, but... is it an alien? Some ancient force? A uh... mutation? Radiaton? Iunno man. It's a big gross THING.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

PurpleXVI posted:

I meant more in the sense that the thing the protagonist destroys at the end has no origins or motivations. It just is and it does what it does. It remains a mystery.

yes, that is also what i was talking about. the only ones who might know, The Three, will never tell what they do know, so it remains an enigma.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So wait, I'm trying to piece things together. The protagonist was dreaming? Or not, as we see the village, the doctor etc existed outside of his own consciousness and could be rescued. I think the dreaming only starts when you get to the heart of the forest for the Thing to finally consume you?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thank you for your LPs Bacter! I love them!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

dervinosdoom posted:

Thank you for your LPs Bacter! I love them!

:same:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Sheesh, thanks! I love doing these - I’ll look for you all in the next one (after the one-update genocide run, for which I have something very special planned)

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Man, that alt path is grim! The wolf fight in the sawmill is a cool setpiece though.

As for the true ending, very satisfying.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Agreed, very satisfying. Even before Bacter pointed out the imagery in the first ending, it felt all wrong. I'm glad to see the true ending!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Fire is cruel and indiscriminate, and illuminating and cleasning.

That's the only way it could have gone down. We saved the world! Or a substantial amount of it, anyway.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
But how long have we been lying there, rotting, dreaming? Is the implication that we've been there the entire game?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

That’s one option - I might also guess that ever since we emerged into town. Remember, earlier we heard that the road will “only take us deeper into the forest”

I do want to give the game credit - this is so much better Lovecraftian style horror than “a really strongk fish”

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

The epilogue text talks about the fates of the people we met and even says that some got out after the burning, so it suggests that everything before we 'escaped' was real. Maybe up to our last dream sequence in the underground. I'd guess that all the poor souls on the tree are the ones that followed the voice and 'made it' to the road and got their reward of whatever it was they were trying to get to outside the wood.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Maybe what happens is that the tree builds outwards, and there was never a path to leave the forest.

The only road was the road to the heart.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

And that's it, except for....

THE GENOCIDE RUN

I've been planning this for like half the LP.

I apologize for nothing

The chicken lady's body has directions to the doctor's house. That's how you find him

Oh, by the way, the first minute is what happens if you go out at night.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 19, 2020

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I do appreciate that if you go nutso like that, you become a legend of the woods. Granted, I'd like to know who told the story since you, well, killed everyone.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Keldulas posted:

I do appreciate that if you go nutso like that, you become a legend of the woods. Granted, I'd like to know who told the story since you, well, killed everyone.

The trees themselves. You are a legend told by the woods.

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007
Have to say that I loved that last section of the true ending when I played. Particularly the sound effect of the protagonist testing out the flamethrower. Perfectly sets the scene for what you are about to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6YRW1nyGaY

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That was an excellent ending. Looking forward to any future LP's you do, Bacter, this one was great!

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Until today I had thought that first line of Cotton Eye Joe was just scat nonsense, like “Fedat ‘ndoot’ndat Cotton Eye Joe.” So, thanks? Also the song is now stuck in my head.

Good to see the doctor finally get his..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Honestly, that ending was great. I would of done the same thing!