Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Newest thing:

Genocide Run

I'm going to keep posting here while I can, but to future-proof this sucker, I'm copying the LP to both The LP Zone and the LP Beach. Come on down!

Final episode of the main playthrough!!

Hey, content warning! Some body horror in these videos.

[

Hey, how are the nights going?

Hey, if any of you Polish speakers want to see what all the characters talk like, here you go!

Hey! Videos 9-1 and 9-2 contain dogs in some distress. If you don’t want to see dogs suffering, give them a skip, and read the one-sentence plot description below!

We find wolfie, who is living behind a barn full of infected dogs. He’s eaten the pretty lady, and shows us where the doctors house is. The doctor has been amputating limbs from patients, and we find out he’s hidden in the train wreck. We get the code to the train, and we’ll see him next.

Hey content warning on episode #2 - if you're squeamish about body horror stuff, there's some grossness.... well, in this whole game, but especially from 8:33-11:00 and 14:06-14:15

SECONDARY RUN - ALL OPPOSITE CHOICES

the end

Below is my usual introduction, but TLDR no spoilers, not even in tags. Audience participation is a must (though not this first episode).

This is like... Lone Survivor meets Final Station with a SMIDGE less roadside picnic and a SMIDGE more Lovecraft. It's GOOD. You'll LIKE IT.

GENERAL CONTENT WARNING: Mild pixelly gore, disturbing images (gross, not sexual). Cruelty. Nothing seems really mean-spirited or just for shock.

*ahem*

You know, I've been meaning to do this for a while.

What, post again after one of your patented unannounced five-month breaks?

Yeah sorry about that. Got a new job. Cancer research! Fun!

I don't give a FLIP. Where's my VIDEOS, nerd?

About that! I find myself suddenly... oh, I don't know. With a little more free time?

And?

And interested in, you know. Plagues. Security in an insecure world.

I think in insecure times like this, it can be really healthy to explore those feelings you have through fiction. And BOY DO I HAVE THE GAME FOR EXPLORING INSECURITY

Alright, let's hear it

DARKWOOD!, the top-down, mostly open-world, crafting survival horror game (and by criminy, this game earns BOTH those titles!).

It's SO GOOD you guys.

Prove it.

Oh, how about masterful 'storytelling through minor details', an excellent use of the sickly, pixelly, fuzzy graphics, a second-to-none sense of creeping dread, incredible use of light and sound...

Easy there, champ. It's not gonna love you back.

Oh BOY is it not! This game is TOUGH. Though actually, it finds a way to be extremely difficult AND pretty accessible. I'll talk about the mechanics more later (but the brief sneak-peek is, you can absolutely brute force you way through, but MASTERY requires extensive experience, planning, and careful execution.

The nighttime... oh MAN, the NIGHTTIME.

One step at a time, Bacter. What's it about?

I'm not gonna give spoilers. It's about a woods. It's not terrifically bright there. It's somewhere in Europe. Potato Europe, not tomato Europe. You'll work out the rest.

Audience participation?

You better believe it! There are CHOICES. There are PATHS through this game. I'll be taking polls.

In a broader sense, there are LOTS of ways to play the game. I'll try showing most of them off. If you see something, a craftable item, a potential secret, a playstyle, whatever, that you want to see shown off? Let me know, and I'll help

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh yeah. Updates Mondays, or twice if I'm especially spicy or quarantine-insane.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Darkwood is really unnerving, even with its top down perspective. I'm glad you're showing this gem off, it's probably one of my favorite games.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm extremely here for this. What little I played of the game was amazing, but I wasn't able to keep off the wiki for my own good, so it'll be nice to watch someone else play where I can just soak in the amazing atmosphere.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God finally!!!!

This game really is a lot better to watch than to actually play

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Yesss! I have been looking for someone competent to do this game for ages!

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

Happy to see you back, Bacter! Game looks interesting. Choices AND Crafting and unfathomable horrors...

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

sockgarters posted:

Choices AND Crafting and unfathomable horrors...

If you say that into a mirror, I appear Bloody Mary style and try to LP your life.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Oo this game is dripping in atmosphere, loving it so far.

Just to make sure youtube isn't messing up on me, is the video supposed to be in 480p?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Well. That is certainly one way to start a game. :stare:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

coleman francis posted:

Just to make sure youtube isn't messing up on me, is the video supposed to be in 480p?

First update was, the rest will be in something civilized.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I am very much here for a Bacter horror LP!

Also, this already started out unnerving. Great sound design.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

this is the best horror game

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

This is unsettling and I am looking forward to more of it

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
This is a game that will make you love shovels.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Oh, this is a little gem of fantastic mood building. I've played it for quite a bit but then got sidetracked and never finished. Should probably play it again along with the LP.

Since I'm Polish, I can tell you that most of the photos and images are real things from communist-era Poland. Everyone had a Unitra radio.

• 3:46 The bottom reads "Alphabetic notepad of addresses and phones".
  • 5:59 This is a real Polish monthly periodical from 1927-1939. For some reason I went and found the issue that seems to be shown in the game but... the page is not the same.

This is the whole library archive, you need a djvu viewer for some later scans.

omeg fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 9, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The true horror of this game is that it's reminding me entirely too much of Subterrain in terms of how similar it's gameplay is to that game. Top down, giant light cone, can barely see things outside of it... Crafting and survival elements too!

Just, not on mars and with significantly less guns.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EponymousMrYar posted:

The true horror of this game is that it's reminding me entirely too much of Subterrain in terms of how similar it's gameplay is to that game. Top down, giant light cone, can barely see things outside of it... Crafting and survival elements too!

Just, not on mars and with significantly less guns.

Another important difference: Darkwood is good

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Wait. Was the radio actually jammed inside of someone's face? Am I completely misinterpreting that?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

omeg posted:

5:59 This is a real Polish monthly periodical from 1927-1939. For some reason I went and found the issue that seems to be shown in the game but... the page is not the same.

Well! I'm obviously going to be looking forward to some flavor from you!

Having a periodical be called "Medical Knowledge" seems VERY "Communist Efficiency" to me.

Polaron posted:

Wait. Was the radio actually jammed inside of someone's face? Am I completely misinterpreting that?

If you notice, when we peek back in the room later, it's a regular radio again. SOMETHING'S going on.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
You might not want to totally trust everything you see.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I never heard of this game before but I am all for this LP.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I loving love this game. The sound engineering is on point. So drat creepy.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

OK, bit of an early update (1 a week is still my goal!) because I was raring to go.

We've got a DOUBLE VOTE following this episode, droogs. I've put the vote in spoilertags, but don't feel the need to spoiler your actual vote - I just want people to be able to click the link in this post without immediately seeing what's coming up!

Do we:

- Like the wolf? Think he's a cool fox/man/thing?
or
- Distrust the wolf? Play along for now, but keep our distance, and keep our options open?

Likewise, at the very beginning of the next update:

We'll get enough red goop essence to level up for the first time! This allows us to take powerful boons, but it also gives us some pretty crippling detriments. You don't get to pick your first detriment (I'll talk more about it next episode), but you DO get to pick your first boon! Options are:

Eagle Eye - "I can see further"

Moth - "Once a day, I will be able to heal myself by standing next to an electric light source."

Navigator - "Once a day, I will be able to learn my current location on the map."

Mushroom Healing - "I will be able to heal myself by eating mushrooms."

None of the above - Pick this if you think the mystery downside is not worth it. Or if you, uh, think that injecting ourselves with red mushroom goop is for some crazy reason a bad idea.

NOT all of these are created equal. At ALL. But who knows which is which? Take your best guess, and I'll manage with what you chose!

Edit: like usual, give it a few minutes to process - should be good in just a few!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 8, 2020

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Imma vote that We try to be cool with Doggo. Friendly faces are few and far between. And healing by eating shrooms seems to the most useful/the least situational of those perks.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 8, 2020

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I don't think we can trust this guy like, at all, and while we're at it become a filthy mushroom eater since it's a really useful early game advantage to have.
I really love how creepy the ambient noises are, the sound design is super good in this game.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This game seems interesting. I'm not really a fan of the top-down style (personal preference, I think it's an immersion thing but I could just be weird) but I'm digging the atmosphere.

A wolf is pretty close to a dog, and all doggos are very good boys (except those that are very good girls), so by that logic trust the wolfie.

Mushroom healing sounds the most useful. That probably means it has the biggest detriment, but I guess we'll see.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Mushroom healing sounds good and all but I'd like to be able to see further. And doggo it may be, but I don't trust the wolfman.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Wolfman is cool and all but keeps referring to us as meat. That might just be because we haven't earned his respect/proven our mettle but it kinda creeps me out. Trust him somewhat for now but watch closely, and yeah mushroom healing sounds the most useful.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Keep our options open, and in a game where sight limitations can be deadly, it seems to me Eagle Eye would be the best choice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trust the woof and Eagle Eye

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
All dogs are good boys/girls Trust Wolf

And we can probably do with some better vision, for both survival and LP purposes so Eagle Eye

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Is there ever a point in the game when you start to feel well equipped to take on all the beasties or is it always skin of your teeth?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You certainly get stronger as you go along - and if you make some correct choices, you can handily deal with most monsters, but you never have enough resources that you can afford to start seeking out fights.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Those wild dogs aren't attacking you, why hurt them? There just over every exuberant with their jump hugs because they missed humans for so long. Be nicer and give them food instead of pain :(

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I would like to see what is happening in this LP, so eagle eye.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

The Wolfman called us comrade, and there's nothing cooler than communists! If you think about it, this is the perfect place to start a communist revolution, for have you not seized the means of production? (Yes to wolf)

Also, eagle eye, because I like to see what's going on :)

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Trust your new super-best-friend
Watch us all with the eye of an eagle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Trust comrade wolf.
Don't do shrooms. Or at least don't expect to give you advice for it.