Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is a thread for maps, inspired by a map I was shown that that made me mad in the way that every time I look at it I find something new to be mad about.

This is a global transit map made by Mark Ovenden

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Ovenden

It may seem innocuous enough at a glance, you might even think "A global transit system actually sounds like a cool idea." But, I swear, each time you look at it, you'll find some new incredibly baffling decision in this thing.

This is in the Southwest US alone:

Like every stop is like this, it's nuts.

Post other things about this map that are absurd, or post other maps that are also incredibly bizarre or cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

finally can take a daytrip from auckland to sydney

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i love my 1 stop commute from my home in jersey to rotterdam it work at starbucks

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
The quickest only route from Porto to Lisbon (both in Portugal) is through all of Spain and part of France

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

twoday posted:

The quickest only route from Porto to Lisbon (both in Portugal) is through all of Spain and part of France

you could transfer through mexico city as well. just a few quick stops.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I think the idea behind the world transit map isn't to be an actual representation of what a worldwide rapid transit system would look like but a sort of cute little map made to look like a major city's public transit system. The idea being that if we worked together and had proper funding we could make travel around the world as easy and commonplace as travel through NY or whatever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

CongoJack posted:

I think the idea behind the world transit map isn't to be an actual representation of what a worldwide rapid transit system would look like but a sort of cute little map made to look like a major city's public transit system. The idea being that if we worked together and had proper funding we could make travel around the world as easy and commonplace as travel through NY or whatever.

Yeah, but that's not as funny as taking it literally.

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017
having africa pretty much empty & labeling it “under construction” is... a choice, for sure

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

THOT PATROL posted:

having africa pretty much empty & labeling it “under construction” is... a choice, for sure

yeah thats the funniest part in how incredibly tone deaf it is

Toga
Oct 13, 2016
Finally I can commute from Naples to Dubai by subway like I always wanted

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This thread is extremely my poo poo.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Ah yes, the northernmost city in North America, Vancouver.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Crossing the Atlantic twice to get from Mexico to Colombia

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

mexicos shape is a thing of beauty. love to travel southeast to get from the east coast to the west coast

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

CongoJack posted:

THOT PATROL posted:

as the person who posted this earlier in the urbanism thread because it was extremely funny to take literally I should point out that the actual book in question is literally called "Transit Maps of the World" and covers transit maps in detail, with the "stops" being a cute way of indicating which urban train & metro systems are covered by the book, and Sub-Saharan Africa doesn't have as many systems to cover (and that's from an earlier mid-2000's edition)

in terms of absurdities:

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm the short hop from Salerno to Dubai across a sliver of water

LGD has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Jun 19, 2020

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

also

https://twitter.com/wheatgarden/status/1270741123439493120?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

that map exists just to aggravate people, it rules. Such as a trip from Houston Texas to Dallas Texas being a ride all the way to canada and back around or a transfer in mexico city