Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

this is loving me up

https://twitter.com/tetudou_bot/status/1270463649698557952?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

also useful for transit strikes, just keep flipping back and forth and your train will be clear of scabs in no time

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Roll scabs into the bunk on a sleeper train and lock them in

trainzrk00l
May 31, 2020
as a long time fan of WTYP (and donoteat(?) content from ages back, even the Rigs of Rods era as a board lurker), i wonder if an MV Sewol episode is in the pipeline sometime once the Philadelphia Autonomous Zone Podcasting Contingent is established?

the short story of it: a formerly Japanese-owned Ro-ro ferry is purchased by one of South Korea's sketchiest marine companies, servicing the idyllic volcanic island of Jeju (a popular resort and tourist destination famed among Koreans) from Incheon (THERE IS MORE THAN THE AIRPORT HERE I PROMISE). anyway, this ferry is carrying something to the effect of 476 people, including 325 high school students on an excursion. the ship is about to reach the island when, upon reaching extreme currents, communication breakdown causes the bridge to make multiple extreme turns (the ship's steering gear was broken), causing it to tip over to starboard. the captain, who wakes from slumber and moves to the deck, delivers a "Stay in Place" order (on a sinking Ro-ro!), which the high school students tragically obey, while the captain bounces and evacuates with the crew. the pax on the ship record harrowing footage detailing their last moments (think Station fire but it's a sinking ferry) and 299 people die in a preventable tragedy. 7 rescuers and salvage personnel are also killed, and the principal commits suicide, bringing the death toll to 307.

through the course of the official investigations, investigators discover a laundry list of unsafe, illegal modifications and failures. one such modification added 37 tonnes of marble(?!??) into the gallery room for some reason, and another modification, a removal of the side boarding ramp, terrifyingly decreased the stability of the ship so much that the regular captain (not the scumbag who bounced) was raising consistent warnings, to threats of sacking. documents were forged, and regulators could not talk to one another due to bureaucratic hurdles. safety advisories and directives were not implemented, and when the regulator knocked, the company frequently responded with lies and hot air. oh, also the ship was carrying significantly higher amounts of cargo and pax than allowed (or physically feasible mind you) to maximise profits. gently caress capitalism.

there is a bittersweet immediate ending, in that the captain was prosecuted for his actions in abandoning the ship, the chief engineer and other higher-ups were prosecuted (yes!) and other lower-level parties were also charged (debatable; punishing low level personnel for errors from a hosed, deficient system and exacerbated by a hosed ship is questionable obviously), and the company ultimately went under, with the founder committing suicide.

BUT! it gets weird here. so, this disaster had a profound effect on public opinion of the incumbent Korean president. the failchild of one of the military dictators, Park Geun-hye was a conservative fuckwad who rode the wave of residual oldie goodwill from her father's rule. on the day of the disaster, she was notably absent, neither displaying transparent leadership gestures such as making a media statement nor dispatching federal rescue authorities even as the ship sank. it turns out that she was, for 7 hours, secretly consulting with her aide, Choi Soon-sil, the daughter of a shamanic cultleader who was exerting considerable control over PGH, in what became known as the 2016 South Korean Political Scandal. with massive public outrage brewing, this ultimately culminates in her impeachment, conviction and imprisonment and the reputation of the conservative party is toasted to a crisp. this disaster was EERILY prophetic as to chud politicians' approach to crisis management re: Australia's Black Summer, etc. now all we need to do is what the Koreans did.

as an aside, the whole South Korean Impeachment saga is worthy of at least a Patreon episode imo. it's so full of bizarre twists and turns (shamanic cults! dressage and failchildren! chaebol capitalism that puts cyberpunk to shame) that any WTYP analysis of it would not disappoint. well, maybe the joke guys, but gently caress them.

p.s
broke: harassing donoteat for Franklin 12/next WTYP ep
woke: harassing donoteat for PenguinvilleNG on BeamNG v0.19 (torque3d)

trainzrk00l has issued a correction as of 07:56 on Jun 10, 2020

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I remember that ship sinking vividly as it was pretty similar to a ferry I had to take several times a year. I knew things were bad, but it sounds like they'd turned it into Grovership. Wild.

trainzrk00l
May 31, 2020
yeah Grovership really is the perfect descriptor of the Sewol tragedy tbh; South Korea has a wild history of dodgy engineering and managerial failures (see the Sampoong episode). I'm pretty sure you could call the entire country GroverKorea if you really wanted to as the place was notorious for rampant corruption and engineering mismanagement, and is still infamous for the former. after Sampoong, one study carried out by some safety regulator basically revealed that about 95% or some high percentage of Seoul's construction was not up to code in some way or another. really, it's a problem around the world (see the water soluble condos, the eponymous Groverhaus, New Zealand's awful apartments or Sydney's Mascot/Opal Towers) but one highlighted by rapid-growth state capitalist economies.

However, it's not all bad; there are also lots of trains; the Seoul Metropolitan Subway began as a commuter rail S-train system in the 1970s and has since become one of the nicest metros out there. the KTX (hon hon oui oui le train d'Coreenne) is fast, clean, quiet and under constant expansion and gets you to the south of the country (if you've seen Train to Busan you'll know). The country is also one of the protesting giants of East Asia and played host to the Gwangju Uprising of 1980; following the mass murder of a bunch of peaceful protestors, civilian militias held off the fascist military for 9 days with machineguns and stuff from captured police stations. in general, it's a nice place and one which is worthy of visiting (after COVID and with your hypothetical annual future climate air travel credits). just watch yourselves on the roads as the drivers are truly nuts. car, bus, motorbike, no matter who, they're running red, driving on the footpath and speeding wherever they can. also, the korean people are not without their faults (can be racist) but that is rapidly improving amongst the young with widespread access to fast internet and education (as it would amongst anyone). the recent BLM solidarity protests showed a slice of this in the flesh fwiw. also, do check out Best Korea sometime i guess for critical support or whatever reason that will inevitably set a comment section on fire. that was a huge diversion for what was meant to be a quick reply, but anyway.

on reflection, maybe the whole Korean Presidential Scandal is a typical South Korean engineering disaster; a tragic ferry sinking, itself caused by a bunch of bizarre oversights and corrupt dealings, sets in motion a weird scandal full of utterly bewildering twists and turns that would put a Wattpad spy/political thriller hack author to shame with its absurdity. i can't confidently say that I know the specifics of it; it's that weird.

watching that footage hosed me up for ages really; I'm lucky that Ro-ro ferries (the enclosed design with many multilevel cabins) aren't that widespread here save for a few ships that run to Tasmania iirc. i've seen too much hosed up bullshit regarding the drat things. train good, car bad, boat good, boat that carries land vehicles bad. of course they are safer than cars by a long shot too, but hey it's an instinct thing. drowning sucks.

e: my brain do be not good at not doing the whole 'measure twice cut once' thing. ironic.

trainzrk00l has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Jun 10, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i did not know korea's presidential cult revelations were precipitated by a horrific and preventable boating accident

the ruling classes should really learn to prevent infrastructure disasters better

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I remember hearing about the "welp, we're dead" video from inside the Sewol and the mere thought of that situation fills me with terror to this day, I can't even imagine watching that footage.

Good thing I'm not from anywhere with, say, a ro-ro ferry system that hosts 60,000+ passengers per day! Okay, I don't live near Seattle anymore, but drat would I be afraid of commuting like that.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The newspaper talk reminded me of a good video I watched about the last day before the NY Times's switch to digital type setting.

Lots of good linotype and cast lead printing plate action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGjFKs9bnU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

shirts and skins posted:

I remember hearing about the "welp, we're dead" video from inside the Sewol and the mere thought of that situation fills me with terror to this day, I can't even imagine watching that footage.

Good thing I'm not from anywhere with, say, a ro-ro ferry system that hosts 60,000+ passengers per day! Okay, I don't live near Seattle anymore, but drat would I be afraid of commuting like that.

IDK, the WSF ferry system uses totally different types of ships, and has a pretty stellar safety record to my knowledge. Growing up in the area, I've always loved the ferries and when I go back home to visit, riding from Seattle to visit my folks on the Kitsap peninsula is something I always look forward to.

If you're visiting and have the time, the Anacortes to Friday Harbor route is a pretty scenic tour in its own right when the weather is good (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoIkbkfD5L4). Ideally you get on the Elwha and listen to this song as you come into Friday Harbor: https://sanjuanupdate.com/updatepix07/elwarocks.mp3

Ferries are kinda like water trains, and WA should bring back the Mosquito Fleet.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

ATP_Power posted:

IDK, the WSF ferry system uses totally different types of ships, and has a pretty stellar safety record to my knowledge. Growing up in the area, I've always loved the ferries and when I go back home to visit, riding from Seattle to visit my folks on the Kitsap peninsula is something I always look forward to.

If you're visiting and have the time, the Anacortes to Friday Harbor route is a pretty scenic tour in its own right when the weather is good (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoIkbkfD5L4). Ideally you get on the Elwha and listen to this song as you come into Friday Harbor: https://sanjuanupdate.com/updatepix07/elwarocks.mp3

Ferries are kinda like water trains, and WA should bring back the Mosquito Fleet.

Oh I've done it, I went to Camp Orkila, went to WWU, all that. Ro-ro ferries still kinda freak me out, even though I know it's not really rational. Did you see that video a couple years back of a San Juan ferry taking on water in a bad storm? Ugghhh no thanks.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I missed that video, but I remember riding the Port Townsend to Keystone route on the old ferry designs in some hairy weather when I was a kid. Massive listing, pots and pans banging around the galley and all that, it never felt unsafe, but I wouldn't want my car to be in the front of the car deck in weather like that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ATP_Power posted:

Barges are definitely river trains:

And sometimes they intersect, with unhappy results: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bayou_Canot_rail_accident

FuturePastNow has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Jun 10, 2020

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/lib_owner/status/1273463961401413634?s=20

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
It's the loving Tube map! It's obviously just the Tube map! How are people getting so furious about this?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

It's the loving Tube map! It's obviously just the Tube map! How are people getting so furious about this?

it isn't

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

shirts and skins posted:

because its bad

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

shirts and skins posted:

it absolutely isn't, it's from the cover of the 2008 edition of "Metro Maps of the World" (note the penguin at the bottom of the map) and shows urban rail systems

e: and in its original context is clearly not meant to be taken literally, though doing so is hilarious

LGD has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Jun 18, 2020

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

sometimes trains are bad (MARTA)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

shirts and skins posted:

It is obviously not the Tube map

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Gripweed posted:

It is obviously not the Tube map

It's clearly a parody of the Tube map

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

shirts and skins posted:

It's clearly a parody of the Tube map

No that's what all subway maps look like. They all use colored lines.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

Gripweed posted:

No that's what all subway maps look like. They all use colored lines.

you can pretty clearly identify circle, district, metropolitan, northern, picadilly, etc. lines on both maps

branching patterns are roughly the same and the color coding is identical

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I wish we had trans-Atlantic trains :(

Even better do trans pacific so I can watch my animes and then return home to smoke weed

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm the short hop from Salerno to Dubai across a sliver of water

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm the short hop from Salerno to Dubai across a sliver of water

I mean yes, but that's far from the most egregious

LGD has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Jun 18, 2020

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I really want to see all those lines laid over a real world map

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GotLag posted:

I really want to see all those lines laid over a real world map

https://twitter.com/LLsunflower/status/1273497988715986945

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

LGD posted:

I mean yes, but that's far from the most egregious

Where are you getting a day long flight estimate from? It should only be like 7 hours.

Unless it's just time zones messing with the system.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mantis42 posted:

Where are you getting a day long flight estimate from? It should only be like 7 hours.

Maybe it's the long-term average, including flights that went missing.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

google

I'd assume the route is drawn directly (accounting for curvature), while the flight info it's piping in is based on actual flights available, so it's extremely believable the transit time would be about a day with layovers

e: yep, that's based on Lisbon->Madrid (~1.5 hours + ~4.5 hour layover)->São Paulo (~10.5 hours + ~4.5 hour layover)->Recife (~3 hours)

there actually is a direct connection that's about 7 hours and 40 minutes, but it runs less frequently and is about $750 more per ticket

LGD has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Jun 19, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well that's ridiculous, I guess I am taking the train afterall.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This isn't news to anyone here but it's nice to see this acknowledged.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1275931211832188929

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

well theres your problem should do an ep on SA next

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
honestly i'm considering it

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

donoteat posted:

come on, you know you want to

what better time than now?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

donoteat posted:

oh hey buddy, good to hear!

KoRMaK has issued a correction as of 03:05 on Sep 22, 2022

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Don't do SA it's a self suck

Also replace Alice with me, a better, younger, and less problematic trans woman with a name starting with A. My takes resume is under post history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Relevant thread content for the good posters and cis posters alike

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7tmRJZd3wps