Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

~Coxy posted:

Which joker put this thread into my bookmarks.

Ah, a very intelligent mod put the in-joke as the title of the thread rather than the sub-title.

That seems like a good idea now it's back in GBS!

It was me, because I wanted to annoy you, don't even know who you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

DPM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwuw6Z33018

Who needs special bags when you've got clothes on?

didn’t realise flying turds were one of the hazards

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BaconCopter posted:

Bloody hell I'm going to die to Boney M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO_uK33aQY8

When your brain is so desperate to live that it just annoys you into getting up and moving

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Phy posted:

When your brain is so desperate to live that it just annoys you into getting up and moving

I think about this moment all the time and wonder what my brain would use to troll me into surviving...

My bet is Shania Twain "Still The One" :cry:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BaconCopter posted:

Bloody hell I'm going to die to Boney M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO_uK33aQY8

If it had been Ra-Ra-Rasputin he would have just died jamming out

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My mom at the library, wanting to borrow that doc: Do you have "Touching the Void"?

Librarian, horrified: Did you say "Touching the Boy"???

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Haha, awesome!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://nypost.com/2024/04/28/us-news/new-york-park-ranger-robbi-mecus-died-while-ice-climbing-mount-johnson/

quote:

A longtime New York forest ranger and trans advocate was killed Thursday night after falling more than 1,000 feet while attempting to climb a steep cliff in Alaska, officials said.

Robbi Mecus, 52, of Keene Valley and her climbing partner both fell while ice climbing an especially treacherous part of Mount Johnson in Denali National Park known as “the Escalator,” according to the National Park Service.

Mecus, a transgender woman, died in the fall. Her climbing partner, a 30-year-old woman from California, survived with “serious traumatic injuries.”

Another climbing party witnessed the tragic drop and called for help around 10:45 p.m., but it took until 7 a.m. the following morning for the survivor to be airlifted to a hospital.

Mecus’s body wasn’t recovered until Saturday morning following deteriorating weather conditions the evening prior.

The outdoors enthusiast had been a forest ranger for the Department of Environmental Conservation’s Adirondack region for 25 years after joining in 1999 at the age of 27, the agency said.

“I join the Department of Environmental Conservation family in mourning the sudden and tragic passing of Forest Ranger Robbi Mecus,” interim DEC Commissioner Sean Mahar said in a statement Saturday.

Mahar said Mecus “exemplified the Forest Rangers’ high standard of professional excellence,” emphasizing her rescue efforts, her work on complex searches and her deployments to out-of-state wildfire response missions.

The interim commissioner also commended Mecus’s work in “advancing diversity, inclusion, and LGBTQ belonging throughout the agency.”

Mecus was also a leader in the queer community in the Adirondacks, NCPR reported.

She told the outlet in 2021 that she struggled through her teenage years to come to terms with her gender identity. She ultimately waited until she was in her 40s to transition: “I was scared and afraid and I didn’t know how I was going to live my life.”

That hard time is when she discovered her love of rock and ice climbing, and opened her up to a community that didn’t include many queer people, allowing her the opportunity to become a leader.

“There are many reasons I didn’t come out until I was 44, but one of them was because I didn’t see anybody else doing the things that I still wanted to do and I didn’t think I could do them,” said Mecus in 2021. “I didn’t see any queer rangers. I didn’t see any trans climbers.”

According to her social media channels, Mecus had visited Alaska several times for expeditions over the years.

She even successfully made it up “the Escalator” last year.

It’s not clear what went wrong with her final climb, but park officials warn the path to Mt. Johnson’s 8,400-foot peak is among the most dangerous.

“The approximately 5,000-foot route involves navigating a mix of steep rock, ice, and snow,” the National Park Service said.

Mecus is survived by her daughter and former wife, who live in the Keene Valley community.

Denali National Park and Preserve is about 240 miles north of Anchorage.

welp, that's sad. She knew the risks and knew how to deal with them, and the mountain still got the better of her. Best wishes for the fall survivor.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

oh yeah the Everest season is on

https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2024/04/27/everest-2024-weekend-update-april-28-teams-into-the-western-cwm/

ice fall this year apparently takes 10 hours to get through and charting it delayed climbing somewhat. interesting there are few ladders on it, just long and winding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I wonder how the climbing season affects the local yeti population.