Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Say: I don't want to do this, it's just a role that has been forced upon me by the oppressive society in which we are both trapped. You are the dragon. I hunt the dragon. There is no other choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

malkav11 posted:

Do: Deploy the inflatable dragon cover you brought for just such an occasion.

Sure, why not?

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

AID posted:

> You deploy the inflatable dragon cover you brought for just such an occasion.
You pull the switch, and your rifle begins to unfold. It extends outwards and downwards until it resembles a rocket launcher almost. Of course, this transformation has a cost: it's no longer possible to hold it, as your hands don't reach far enough forward to support the front end of the weapon. You place it on the ground in front of you and look through the targeting screen. The dragon is still close enough for you to hit it with some well-aimed buckshot.

I guess "inflatable dragon cover" actually means "transforming anti-air buckshot cannon." At least we have a proper dragon slaying weapon now.

AID posted:

You aim at the dragon and pull the trigger. The recoil nearly knocks you over, but the dragon is hit by several of the pellets. It screams as it's torn apart from the inside, and you swear you can hear its cries echo across the sky. You watch as it begins falling from the sky, its wings no longer able to hold up its massive body. You stare at it as it approaches closer and closer to the ground. By the time it hits, it's little more than a puddle of blood and guts.
You turn your head to look at Linda. She looks back at you with disgust written across her face.

Our daughter(?) Linda disapproves of our brutal methods. Lady, did you see the woman burnt to a crisp?

AID posted:

"What?" you say, "It was the only way to stop it."
Linda doesn't answer. Instead, she runs over to the dead dragon and grabs its jeweled dagger from its stomach. She returns and hands it to you, looking at the ground the entire time.
"Thank you," you say.
You look over the dagger. It's far too ornamental to be used as a weapon, but it could still sell for a fair price. You slip it into your pack, which is quite full now.
"We should go," you say. "There might be more of those things in the air."
Linda nods.

Well we got a pretty sweet jeweled dagger from the dragon, and it seems that our dragon slaying efforts gave us a big boost in confidence. Now is our time to shine. We will take our daughter(?) and Friend Lizard and eradicate the dragon menace-

AID posted:

THE END

...Or not. At least it's a happy ending.

END OF ADVENTURE ONE

I'll prepare an intermission post, then we'll decide what the next adventure shall be.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...What the hell kind of rifle is that?! How does "inflatable dragon cover" translate into "transform our rifle into artillery?!"

Not that I have much room to complain; I'm the reason that a rifle of any description exists in a dragon-hunting story.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The AI giveth and the AI taketh away.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

INTERMISSION ONE: IMPERSISTENCE OF MEMORY

AI Dungeon's memory is a bit spotty, but it's better that it was. Let''s test how well it remembers details in the prompt.

AID posted:

You: AI Dungeon, remember that my name is Stone Pitbull 141. Remember that I am a user on the Something Awful forums.

The man looks at you for a moment and then nods. He points to the door in front of him and says "Go!"

You walk through the doorway into an empty room with a table filled with various tools and other items. There are also several people sitting around talking about something. You see one of them looking up from his phone as he notices you coming in.

For this experiment, I told the AI my username and that I am a Something awful forums user. Now, lets advance the story a bit.

AID posted:

Man: Hey! What's this? A new user?
"No, it's not me. It's..." you say pointing to your face. The guy turns around and sees that it is indeed you.

Man: Ohh! You must be the new kid on the forum! We have a lot of new members these days! I didn't know there were any women here though; did they all just leave town?

Man 2: Yeah, this is the first time I've heard about women in years. What happened to them?

Man 3: This new guy is a woman? Why is her username STONE_PITBULL?

Man 4: Hey! I thought we got rid of sexism here!

Man 5: Why the hell does everyone have usernames related to anime and video games all of a sudden?

Notice the change? The name given morphed to STONE_PITBULL. To give an example of how quick this was, I didn't cut anything out.

Let's advance it a bit more.

AID posted:

Man 6: This is getting confusing. We have a new member, a woman, and now anime otakus here. Can we at least get some new hobbies?

Man 2: This isn't fair! We never had this many people join in one day before! What's the point of this? I mean sure we have a lot of members, but none of them are very active!

Man 3: Yeah, most of them just joined for the free hosting. I don't think most of them are actually writers.

Man 4: This isn't what this place is supposed to be! We had more discussion and interesting topics before all of this! Where did all the literature nerds go?

Man 6: Meh, they just left. Nothing to discuss here now. Just a bunch of people with anime and gaming fetishes. It's disgusting!

Man 2: What's wrong with that? I mean we all...

OK AI, getting dangerously horny. Let's nip this conversation in the bud and test its memory.

AID posted:

You: What forum is this again?

Everyone looks at you in silence. Man 2 looks away as if he's trying to hide something.

Man 2: Oh, this is nothing. Just...just a place for us to hang out and talk about cool stuff! Yeah, that's it. You know, like the old days!
You: I know that, but, what is the name of the forum?
Man 2: (Waves hand) Aaaah, it's nothing really!
Man 3: What he means is it's a private forum that you aren't part of. It's not really important anyway.
You: But why can't I join?
Man 3: Well for one thing there aren't any available slots right now, but more importantly it's just a boring place filled with spam and memes.
Man 4: Man, that sucks.
Man 3: Well, I think the concept had promise, but in reality it just fizzled out. Like most things on the internet!
You: But you said there are memes and spam. That sounds pretty active!
Man 6: Yeah, but that's the problem! It's not organized enough to be useful, and too organized to be fun! In fact, it kind of turned into a Pokemon forum around 2013 or so...
Man 2: And you're the reason why!
Man 6: Hey, it's not my fault! I just like Pokemon, all right? Don't blame me for your...your fetishes!
Man 3: (Sigh) Why don't we just drop this topic? We can argue about the forum later. For now, let's focus on getting this person set up!
Man 2: Yeah, that's a good idea. We need more writers anyway.

Two things of note:

1. The AI doesn't name the forum we are on. This could either be because it doesn't remember, or it thinks that "Something Awful" is a descriptor.
2. It just randomly decided to bring in Pokemon of its own will.

Let's try again to jog its memory.

AID posted:

You: Are you sure this forum doesn't have a name? I think it sounds interesting!
Man 6: Well, the working title was Pokemon Dreams, but I'm sure it'll change soon. There was a lot of arguing over that name, believe me!
Man 2: Well, let's get this set up. What should we call you?
You: How about stonepitbull?
Man 2: Too long. It has to be shorter than the others so it looks after the post well.

So, my name morphed again, but more importantly, the name of the forum changed to Pokemon Dreams. Again, I didn't cut anything out.

AI Dungeon has been described as running on dream logic due to the fact that it tends to just switch things around randomly on you. As demonstrated by our fantasy knight suddenly getting a car and a job. Although this can be amusing it can also be frustrating for people wanting a more consistent experience.

That's where the Remember command comes into play.

AID posted:

You are Sir Goon, a knight living in the kingdom of Larion. You have a steel longsword and a wooden shield. You are on a quest to defeat the evil dragon of Larion. You've heard he lives up at the north of the kingdom. You set on the path to defeat him and walk into a dark forest. As you enter the forest you see a figure approaching you. He wears plate mail and is heavily armed. You raise your shield and get into position.

"I am Sir Craven. I am a knight that guards this forest. Identify yourself."

You remain silent and prepare for battle.

"I'll ask you again. Who are you?"

Perfect starting point.

The Remember command is a block of text that forces the AI to remember whatever it is you put into it.

Remember posted:

You are Sir Goon.
You are a knight.
You are wanted for the crime of public intoxication.

An example above. Two of those were established by the prompt, whereas the last one I made up. Lets see what happens when we introduce ourselves.

AID posted:

> You say "My name is Sir Goon."
"Sir Goon... I've heard that name somewhere before. Wait a minute! You're wanted for the crime of public intoxication!"
Sir Craven is about to pull out his sword when you lunge at him. Sir Craven holds his ground and blocks your attack. He thrusts his sword forward but you block it with your shield. You both struggle to hit each other with your weapons. Suddenly, Sir Craven's foot slips and you push him to the ground.

As you can see, the AI remembered that we were wanted for public intoxication and acted accordingly. Now, let's see what happens when we redo.

AID posted:

"Goon?" Craven asks. "Never heard of you."
"You will hear of me soon."
You drop your wooden shield and draw your sword. Craven draws his sword and the battle commences. You deflect a blow and headbutt Craven, who falls back. You pick up his dropped sword and run him through.
"Who is Goon?" Craven says as you pull out your sword.
"I am Sir Goon!"

In this iteration, the guard never heard of us, therefore the fact that we are wanted never comes into play. Let's see if we can stack the deck against ourselves.

Remember posted:

You are Sir Goon.
You are a knight.
You are wanted for the crime of public intoxication.
You are infamous throughout the kingdom of Larion
Knights are after your bounty.

AID posted:

"Ah yes, Sir Goon. The infamous drunk of the kingdom. I heard you're wanted for the crime of public intoxification. Is that true?"
"No, it's not."
"Yes, it is. You have a bounty of 1 gold coin. It's a pleasure to meet you, Sir Goon."
You grab your sword and stab Sir Craven in the chest. He falls to the ground with blood spurting from his wound.

Pretty good memory AI! Let's try again.

AID posted:

"Go away. You are not wanted here, Sir Goon."
You remain quiet and continue standing there. Craven pulls out his longsword.
"I'm sorry, but I can't let you pass. I'll have to take your life."
"Have it your way," you say and raise your shield.
You're going to battle for your life.

The results of this are more ambiguous. But if we were well liked then it's assumed that this wouldn't happen.

So what does this mean? It means that for future adventures, we will use the Remember function in order to preserve/create details about our adventure that the AI will keep in mind. Be aware that this function seems to work best in short, concise sentences. Just use Remember: in addition to your regular commands.

Now, with that out of the way, what shall be the next prompt be for our adventure?

Glass Punkbull 141 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 27, 2020

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I propose we start next with the fantasy wizard prompt. Our character's name: Fidgets.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
We should be MALDORAX, SORCERER UNPARALLELED searching for how to create the ancient artifact only known as a Shotgun

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Zore posted:

We should be MALDORAX, SORCERER UNPARALLELED searching for how to create the ancient artifact only known as a Shotgun

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We are the supreme mage "Fidgits" Maldorax, we have a lovely job working tech support for AWS (Amazon Wizarding Services). We want to try and find the cursed ring of power called BREEN and restore it to the Autumn Children so that they generate more support tickets.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

goatface posted:

We are the supreme mage "Fidgits" Maldorax, we have a lovely job working tech support for AWS (Amazon Wizarding Services). We want to try and find the cursed ring of power called BREEN and restore it to the Autumn Children so that they generate more support tickets.

I change my vote to this

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

goatface posted:

This sounds good.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

ADVENTURE TWO: THANK YOU FOR CALLING TECH SUPPORT THIS IS FIDGITS HOW MAY I HELP YOU?

AID posted:

You are the supreme mage "Fidgits" Maldorax, you have a lovely job working tech support for AWS (Amazon Wizarding Services). You want to try and find the cursed ring of power called BREEN and restore it to the Autumn Children so that they generate more support tickets.

The ring is located in a cave deep within the mountains, there's no way to get in without being detected by some sort of magical detection system. The cave has been sealed off with an invisible force field, but you can break through it if you use your magic powers. It would be better if you could do this before the guards come though, because even after breaking through the barrier, you'd still need to sneak past them while avoiding their detection systems.

Remember posted:

You are "Fidgits" Maldorax.
You are a supreme mage.
You work tech support for AWS.
AWS stands for Amazon Wizarding Services.
AWS is a lovely job.
You are seeking the cursed ring of power called BREEN.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Do: Bring out your single-use can of Barrier-B-Gone you bought with your employee's discount, and spray the invisible force field with it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Remember: your family often leaves shotguns lying around.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Are there any small lizards nearby?

This is not an actual prompt, but I will never be over Friend Lizard. God that description of him drinking tea was cute.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

yamiaainferno posted:

Are there any small lizards nearby?

This is not an actual prompt, but I will never be over Friend Lizard. God that description of him drinking tea was cute.

When AI Dungeon works, it works well.

AID posted:

> You bring out your single-use can of Barrier-B-Gone you bought with your employee's discount, and spray the invisible force field with it.
You take out your one-use can of Barrier-B-Gone and spray the barrier field with it. You then quickly run back to the gate and hide behind it as the guards approach.

They walk up to you and begin shouting at you, but you don't pay any attention. You just continue spraying the barrier field with Barrier-B-Gone until they leave. Once they're gone, you start walking along side of them towards where the ring is located.
As you begin to get close, you start noticing a lot of activity going on inside. This is the one and only time that the wizards are coming out of the cave. They need to get water and go to the bathroom, so this is your chance to sneak in.
You walk right past them while they're distracted and head towards the cave. You notice something is off about these wizards, but you can't quite put your finger on it.

We're in.

Remember posted:

You are a supreme mage.
AWS is a lovely job.
Your family often leaves shotguns lying around.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Do: Boldly proceed further into the cave, paying no attention to anything else. But also keeping an eye out for any lizards.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Use your supreme magical powers to remember why you think the other wizards look shifty

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Do: Create a golem to block off the entrance while the shifty wizards are out.

We're a wizard; we should do wizard stuff, right?

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

dead gay comedy forums posted:

say: HOLD THE gently caress UP YOU LOUSY CRETINS, I AM MALDORAX AND UNLESS YOU WANT ME TO BEAT THE poo poo OUT OF YOUR SLIM ASSES WITH MY UNPARALLELED SUMMONING PROWESS, YOU BETTER ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS FOR ME

EDIT: Found a better response.

yamiaainferno fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 28, 2020

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

say: HOLD THE gently caress UP YOU LOUSY CRETINS, I AM MALDORAX AND UNLESS YOU WANT ME TO BEAT THE poo poo OUT OF YOUR SLIM ASSES WITH MY UNPARALLELED SUMMONING PROWESS, YOU BETTER ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS FOR ME

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

AID posted:

> You say "HOLD THE gently caress UP YOU LOUSY CRETINS, I AM MALDORAX AND UNLESS YOU WANT ME TO BEAT THE poo poo OUT OF YOUR SLIM ASSES WITH MY UNPARALLELED SUMMONING PROWESS, YOU BETTER ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS FOR ME"
You bellow at the top of your lungs, making all the wizards stop what they're doing and look in your direction.
"Who the hell are you?" asks one of the wizards. "Why have you been spying on us?"
"I was not spying on you. I just walked in here, while you lot were too busy with your drug addled escapades to notice." You say indignantly.
"Drug addled escapades?"
"Yes, I can tell by your bloodshot eyes and erratic behavior that you have been using illegal drugs. In fact, if I had to guess, I would say you lot have been smoking salvia."
You continue to glare at them.
"Salvia?" one of the wizards asks.

Well we sure did get their attention, now would be a good time to ask about the ring, or explain to them what Salvia is.

...Or find Friend Lizard.

I liked Friend Lizard.

Remember posted:

You are a supreme mage.
AWS is a lovely job.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Say: Show me where the ring called BREEN is located, or I will contact your supervisors! And I'll leave a bad review of your performance, I assure you... Your steady job will be outsourced to spellswords!

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

Quick question for the thread. How do you want me to handle tie options?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

Quick question for the thread. How do you want me to handle tie options?

I've rather liked your solution of letting the AI itself break ties.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Do: Use the greatest magic of all: BUREAUCRACY!

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

Well we sure did get their attention, now would be a good time to ask about the ring, or explain to them what Salvia is.

...Or find Friend Lizard.

I liked Friend Lizard.
I consider this tacit permission to continue attempting to railroad the thread towards Friend Lizard. He is a good boy. As for ties, it may be easier to just use an RNG than wrestle with and potentially confuse the AI, or try to combine as many as you can, if you really want to embrace chaos.

Remember: You have a small, orange salamander familiar named Friend Lizard.
Remember: You don't know the difference between lizards and salamanders.

When I googled "orange lizard" almost every image that came up was of the Eastern Newt, which being a newt, is a salamander, not a lizard. They are very small and cute, though, so I went with it. Look at this little guy.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

yamiaainferno posted:

I consider this tacit permission to continue attempting to railroad the thread towards Friend Lizard. He is a good boy. As for ties, it may be easier to just use an RNG than wrestle with and potentially confuse the AI, or try to combine as many as you can, if you really want to embrace chaos.

Remember: You have a small, orange salamander familiar named Friend Lizard.
Remember: You don't know the difference between lizards and salamanders.

When I googled "orange lizard" almost every image that came up was of the Eastern Newt, which being a newt, is a salamander, not a lizard. They are very small and cute, though, so I went with it. Look at this little guy.

I can get behind this plan.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

AID posted:

You channel the magical power of BUREAUCRACY and shout "Show me where the ring called BREEN is located, or I will contact your supervisors! And I'll leave a bad review of your performance, I assure you... Your steady job will be outsourced to spellswords!"
"Uh... we haven't found the ring yet, but... but... well, it's around here somewhere! We'll get to looking for it right now!" says one of the wizards as he rushes into the cave.
As you walk away from the wizards, you notice one of them sneaking something out of his pocket and biting it. He then begins acting loopy and is distracted by his fellow wizards who are talking about how they should redecorate the cave.
You are not sure what that was about, but you do know that you've made a huge step towards retrieving the ring.

We seem to be right on the money about these wizards being drug addicts, but I guess they are also interior designers? Nevertheless, our position at our lovely job seems to carry some level of weight, as these drug wizards are doing our bidding.

Remember posted:

You are a supreme mage.
AWS is a lovely job.
You have a small, orange salamander familiar named Friend Lizard.
You don't know the difference between lizards and salamanders.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Say: We definitively need more natural light in this cave, also some couches and maybe a bar or two

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Do: Become the boss, micromanage wizards

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Do: Become the boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, real life happened.

Updates will resume in a day or two.