Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, just replace the whole arm.

It's quite possible that the original arm wasn't meant to have a serviceable bushing, and that bushing looks like it would be a giant pain to deal with anyway. Then consider that most auto parts get installed by shops, and if you're paying for labor there's no way a $40-70 arm comes out more expensive than just the labor alone to get that bushing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Trailing arm bushings on Civics are a cast-iron bitch to do as well, requiring a bit of tricky jigging because of the weird shape of the arm and the size of the bushing. The guy I throw work like that to now has been doing Hondas for the better part of twenty years and he still groaned when I put my old rusty EG arms with some Energy bushings in front of him.

If you have the option to just throw a new arm at it, I would. Aim for a Moog K-series part if you can.

AdvilSmith
Aug 15, 2014

Broken! Busted! Everybody has something to repair. Before buying new, let Mighty Putty fix it for you.
I looked through rockauto five different times looking for that drat part and looked over it every time lol. Replacing the entire arm is definitely preferred and what I will end up doing now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Saw you post in another thread and realized I missed this thread. Any news? I know the midwest makes it hard to do gently caress all in the winter but thought I'd ask. :)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

A little bit.

The accord needed a little love so I did front brakes and drives side axle today. Inner pads were gone on both sides. Wear was almost even.

Also I found my coolant leak finally.

Time for a water pump :(

At least it's an external pump and not timing belt time.

In exciting news, the accord work is to make sure it's reliable so the BRZ can get some love.

Blackmk4 was posting in the track day thread and put me in contact with someone parting out a BRZ selling a set of used xidas!

I know if I went right for installing the coilovers the accord would break and then snow would start falling.

At this rate the Subaru will be a racecar before the civic lol.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I miss being able to upload to imgur right off mobile. Oh well.

Adjustable top hats. These work great.

Rears in.

Bushing removal for rear camber kit. Never seen bushings like this before. Very glad for an air chisel.

Rear camber bushings from whiteline. Having adjusted them in the car they suck horribly. Bolts from each side. The inner two most are long and have jam nuts. You adjust by kinda loosening them then tighten the longer bolt. Only tighten, around and around.

Rear diff inserts. Easy install here.

Alignment time. Not to bad except for the rear camber.

0 toe. 135mm to the front pinch weld, 140 to the rear. 2 deg camber front, 2.5 rear (max adjustment, LCAs on their way) Drives nice and straight, still going to get a professional one done once the parts show up.

Finally looks the right height.

The rear rake looks kind of extreme by the fender well gap but per 949s instructions i measured from the pinch welds. Set on tires on the ground, then checked and evened up on the leveling pads / hub stands with a laser level.

Install went easy, but half the bolts are showing that white buildup or rust to the point that I'm half tempted to just pull every bolt and antisieze it now.

It rides surprisingly well for coilovers. It's stiffer but less harsh than stock. Probably the weirdest thing is the car is quiet. Usually by the time I put coilovers on something it's already loud and you cant hear all the little noises. The springs make this weird boing boing noise when I turn the wheel stopped or at very low speeds. Not a deal breaker at all but very different to gutted honda with an exhaust.

First auto x is at the end of this month and I'm excited.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hell yeah, looking forward to further review once you get more miles on them.

If you want to fix the bonging noise when turning the wheel grab two sets of Torrington bearings off McMaster, I think they call them radial bearings or something, and two 360mm Xida shock boots. Stuff them under the front tender springs and put the Xida shock boots onto the front. Rears shouldn't really be a big deal, but I run Torringtons and boots back there too.

If you don't run the boots the Torringtons get filled with poo poo really quick and bind anyway.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

As always, RPF1s look great on everything. Nice looking car you've got.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Thanks!

They came with the torringtons and I've got them installed on the front. They seemed free at assembly but I'm not sure under load. Maybe need cleaning and some grease.

I had not seen the shock covers, that's awesome.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah yeah if they get any schmoo in them they bind right up and you get the spring bonging, if you turn the steering wheel with your finger through the camber plate on to the spring you should feel it. I personally clean them out good with brake cleaner when I have the boots off for something.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m considering trading in my 2011 Civic LX sedan for a 2021+ hatchback model, higher trim than LX. Tempted to splurge on a 2024 Sport Touring hatchback, and I can make that happen, but I’m also considering earlier years in used/pre-owned/whatever. If I do buy used with a nicer trim (EX-L or ST I think), what do I need to look out for? What years were good, and what problems did the model have? I’ve only ever bought new, never used, so I have no experience there.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I’m considering trading in my 2011 Civic LX sedan for a 2021+ hatchback model, higher trim than LX. Tempted to splurge on a 2024 Sport Touring hatchback, and I can make that happen, but I’m also considering earlier years in used/pre-owned/whatever. If I do buy used with a nicer trim (EX-L or ST I think), what do I need to look out for? What years were good, and what problems did the model have? I’ve only ever bought new, never used, so I have no experience there.

Maybe a good question for here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I should probably rename this thread. I'm open to suggestions.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wow I can’t read :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It's all good, you're not the first lol.