Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I joined these dumb forums years ago after stumbling across AI. I feel after all the enjoyment I've gotten from you I should give back and let you laugh at my suffering. Let me present, the civic of the lake.

This poor car was not actually pulled from a lake. It was sitting behind a friends barn for almost a decade. Rattle can black when I bought it, and surprisingly rust free, it has not aged well. When ~these trying times~ started I decided building a project car was better than watching the news 24/7 so it got towed home.

This looks pretty bad... but how bad. Time for a wash.

Hey thats not so bad. Oh. Oh no.

There should be a test to buy spray paint.
Home now, for god knows how long.

Mmmmm smells like used mice

So, I've been working on this for a bit. There are posts to come. But before I get there, a brief rundown.

Why? I already had it, I recently went from apartment to place I could work on it, and I needed something to distract me.

The plan? It will be a track day / HPDE / get a comp licence car. NASA has a new enduro class that seems to be designed to get people from track days into road racing. If it survives all that, Honda Challenge. I'll build it to Honda Challenge rules for the cage and cheap stuff. If it goes Honda Challenge I can always update the engine/transmission last.

Coming soon, RUST!

EDIT: The list

Stuff I have to do

Bold is new

Brakes - check rules and choose what to run
-Measure those brakes
-Select master cylinder
-Select brake bias setup
-Order parts and fit
-Run brake lines
-get pads and rotors and ????
-build brake cooling ducts
-get parker store to make braided lines
-rebuild calipers i bought
-buy rear pads
-get mounting hardware for booster delete

Fuel
-Decide if used tanks are workable / order new tank
-Mount tank
-Make access panel so I don't have to drop the tank to get at the pump
-Pick and mount fuel filter
-Run fuel send and return
-Roll over valve
sort fuel pump

Safety
-Pick and mount kill switch
-Pick and mount fire suppression
-Pick and mount window net
-Pick and install belts
-Add passenger seat for instructor (and probably window net too)
-fancy mirror
-tow hooks
-seat back braces

Suspension
-Decide what I want to buy for all of this
-Bushings
-shocks/coil overs/spring selection
-rehab sway bars I have
mount new rear sway bar
-order wheel bearings/hubs/tie rods/ball joints
-wheel studs
-toe/camber bits more easily adjustable than stock
-fix captive nut for RR toe link
-drill out busted bolts on rear spindles
-install rear suspension
-alignment and corner balance

Body
-Mount everything and make it suck less
-Paint
-Get windshield installed
-Stickers!

Engine/Drivetrain
-Timing belt, water pump, tensioner
-get an obd1 dizzy
-mount ecu
-design wiring
-mil connector at firewall?
-solid state setup?
-datalogging/dash?
-axles
-hondata
-dyno tune
-header/exhaust
-intake
-cooling system at least partially
-ducting the radiator I bought
-oil cooler

Misc
-Defroster something. Rain sucks. Blind in the rain suck harder.
-Cool suit / air something?

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've got a bunch of Honda parts from my old EJ1. PM me if you need stuff.

Good luck! Those EFs are a blast.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I miss my EG a lot. Honda hatches just have that special little feeling to them. Maybe it's the rust.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Former owner of a DA, EF, and EG here. Miss the hell out of all of them.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, brother. Looking forward to this.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

sharkytm posted:

I've got a bunch of Honda parts from my old EJ1. PM me if you need stuff.

Good luck! Those EFs are a blast.

Will do, thanks!

Also glad to see there's old honda love.

So first things first. Strip this thing down to the metal.

When we pushed this onto the trailer it dropped a ton of rust. I figured it was shot from that alone.

But it was just the rear bumper being made of lightened ohio steel.

Dry ice owns sound deadning.

I can see whats happening!

Honestly at this point its a lot better than I was expecting. Almost all the rust is in the drivers side floor pan, a touch where the roof meats the drivers side a-pillar, and a touch on the drivers side quarter panel where it meets the bumper. Definitely salvageable.

Oh yeah its before the recall, these jack stands are gone soon. To be replaced with more to be recalled stands.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That garage door looks super annoying to have to drive around to use both sides. Are you thinking of getting some wheelie dollies?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've got a set. At least the ones that you put under the tires. Theres also a set I can get for the lift that levers the pads off the ground and lets you roll lift and car around. Haven't got those yet.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

So, when I left off the civic was on stands, and the DD was on a lift. With most of weight stripped off the civic, it was time to fix this.

Before

After

I did not take any in process pics. All I can say is one, it sucked a lot, and two give me a lever long enough and I will move the world. I plan on having the nifty lift casters before its time to move it back. Either way worth the effort, 4 post is the way to go for body repair and cage fab. Also i leave the BRZ outside and now I have a car sized space to do fab stuff. Speaking of fab stuff, say hello to my little friend.

I highly recommend spot weld drills if you do uni-body sheet metal work.

There are a few other spots, but this is by far the worst of it.

So, that was the first rust patch I did on this car. There are a LOT more. And I've got pics of all of them. I'm game for the whole car blow by blow but imgur sucks now I guess and I have to scroll forever to make any of it happen in order. Let me know if you want to watch me slowly get better at sheet metal one patch at a time. Or i can just dump a bunch of after pics and we can skip right to the cage. Fast forward or one patch at a time?

Somewhere in the middle of this, one nerds from GOKU, a goon planetside 2 outfit made this happen.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I'm sorry, did you just ask if we wanted less content? :justpost:

New favorite thread. Can't wait to see what gets done! I will relive my EF dreams...some day.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yesssss

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

More rust! Not a lot more rust, but damnit if I'm going to race a beer can it might as well not be a rusty beer can.

It would have been cool to do as one patch instead of 3 but I'm not that good or cool.

I could grind all this down more but I'm mostly going for stronger floor pan. Thinning out the original metal for a seamless finish seems like a waste.

Looking back through the pics it looks so straight forward. If I remember right this was like 3 nights of work. I wish I had an English wheel too, but I don't do enough sheet metal to justify it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit now I'm looking at Craigslist and FB Marketplace for EFs... and a D16Z6... followed by a B18C1.. then probably followed by a B20Z bottom end and the head from the B18. They're light enough that the D16 still makes them scoot decently.

EFs are so drat hard to find today that I do a double take anytime I see one on the road... and that's with me living in the land of no rust. :sigh: I don't even see them in junkyards much.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

:same: STR. There's actually one a couple hours away that looks pretty nice but not a ton of photos.... And actually, the b16 head flows better out of the box from what I recall.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think I remember the same, but the B16 is a bit harder to find in the US - it was only in the 99-00 Civic Si and the last year or two of the Del Sol Si, IIRC? The DC Integra GS-R was around a lot longer and sold very well; B18C5 parts are the easiest B series VTEC parts to find.

But while we're talking unicorns... try to find a running B17. :v: Better yet, try to find an original 92-93 Integra GS-R. The B17 was USDM-only, 92-93 only. I haven't even seen a DA GS-R in a couple of years. I remember they made some really sexy noises right up until they blew up

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hmotors online still has the obd0 b16a1 in stock and surprisingly not that expensive. At least for a desirable Honda engine. Anything obd1 on starts getting pricy though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Should have clarified, I was speaking more in terms of USDM stuff. The B16 was mostly used in JDM cars. They're plentiful with importers.

I had a brain fart and was just thinking of being able to find stuff in junkyards with that brain dump. You can tell how long it's been since I played with Legos: Honda Edition :saddowns:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My first new car was a 1990 Civic base 4 speed. I got the optional right side mirror. I got the clock from a junkyard. No AC. That was BASE. And I loved it. 40k miles in a year and a half while I was going to school in Indiana, a girlfriend an hour away and my parents on the other side of Ohio. Such an awesome little car.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Complete opposite end of the spectrum. 90 Si. Bought from my grandfather in 99/2000 with 40k on the clock. I drove the piss out of that thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh man. I grew up being carted around in a red EG civic my parents bought new for $13k CAD, no AC, no Side mirror, I want to say 13" steel wheels, just a complete stripper model. It sipped fuel and was pretty zippy with how my dad drove it. They sold it almost a decade later for $8k.

I really really want one, but in the land of rust it's impossible to find one that isn't rotted out to hell.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Glad to see all the Civic love in here. Bough a 90 Si of my parents as a first car in the early 2000s. I don't think I've ever been right since.

I was sharing some of this on a discord and was asked for the whole process a while back so to close out the rust repair, every step for one patch.

AHAHAHAHHA gently caress YOU OHIO I HAVE A WELDER YOU CAN PRY THIS CAR FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

So, with (most of) the rust sorted, this should get more fun. First an order to JEGS.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The only video of my EJ1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WxZO7irJ-8

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hell yeah. Built bottom end or stock internals?

I'm all for people posting about their Hondas in here.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Hell yeah. Built bottom end or stock internals?

I'm all for people posting about their Hondas in here.

Stock D16Z6 with a big T3 .60/.63 from a 300ZX. I managed to keep the front bumper intact too, no massive intercooler in your face. It was a fun build, but never really went anywhere. I got it tuned and then real life took over and I eventually sold it for $500. I still have an AL radiator, moates romulator, chipped p72, and the LC1.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 28, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Stock D16Z6 with a big T3 .60/.63 from a 300ZX. I managed to keep the front bumper intact too, no massive intercooler in your face. It was a fun build, but never really went anywhere. I got it tuned and then real life took over and I eventually sold it for $500. I still have an AL radiator, moates romulator, chipped p72, and the LC1.

Ah the stock twin cam swap killer.

Let me know what you want for the p72 and the romulator. I'll definitely be wiring mine up for OBD1 from the start. I've got the stock harness but I don't want to chase 30 year old harness gremlins forever.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Yeah, it was a fun car for sure. There's a pretty lengthy thread in the archives. 450cc DSM blue tops, tuned in CROME.

Considering I have no idea if they work, email me and I'll ship them over. Username at Google mail.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, it was a fun car for sure. There's a pretty lengthy thread in the archives. 450cc DSM blue tops, tuned in CROME.

Considering I have no idea if they work, email me and I'll ship them over. Username at Google mail.

Sent!

I remember crome. It was always so fiddly to get working right.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Responded. It's a P28, actually. Looks ok inside.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Getting pretty close to present day. So, any good NASA car will need a cage. I'm lucky to have a friend with a JD Squared bender and tubing notcher. So I borrowed them. There were a couple things to sort out first though.

The last person who borrowed it had used some brake clean and wiped the numbers on the degree wheel.

So I traced out the shape, measured it, and modeled it in fusion 360.

And then I threw it into the CNC machine at work.

I love my job. They're cool with us using the stuff in the shop provided we punch out first.

Can't wipe off engraved numbers!

Then I made some brackets to level the bender. It was initially setup on an engine stand instead of a proper pedestal and has lived there ever since. Handy to move but a pain to work with.

That sorted, I needed a guide to figure out how much tubing a given bend would take up. Back in the day we'd mark up a tube with a sharpie as a template but it was always temporary. Why not do the same trick twice?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Dude, you're THAT guy with the engraved bend. Nice work, doubly so on the bend gauge. Functional improvement of a borrowed tool is the perfect repayment.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 30, 2020

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I wish I could find the pics from when we built my EK racecar, but we just straight cut the whole driver side floor out and replaced it with sheet steel. It was basically a flintstones car when I got the shell. Your sheet metal work is much nicer.

STR posted:

I think I remember the same, but the B16 is a bit harder to find in the US - it was only in the 99-00 Civic Si and the last year or two of the Del Sol Si, IIRC? The DC Integra GS-R was around a lot longer and sold very well; B18C5 parts are the easiest B series VTEC parts to find.

But while we're talking unicorns... try to find a running B17. :v: Better yet, try to find an original 92-93 Integra GS-R. The B17 was USDM-only, 92-93 only. I haven't even seen a DA GS-R in a couple of years. I remember they made some really sexy noises right up until they blew up

I windowed a B17 block...and actually found a complete running motor. Maybe it's just where I live, but B16s are extremely easy to source. I wonder if it's because of the 15 year import laws for canada, a ton of people were bringing over B16 EFs and EGs back when they were first legal for import. B18Cs are much rarer, so much so that I'm going back to a B16 in my racecar because I cannot source a reasonably priced block locally. Yet I have multiple B16 bottom ends because they were 200 bucks.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Crustashio posted:

I wish I could find the pics from when we built my EK racecar, but we just straight cut the whole driver side floor out and replaced it with sheet steel. It was basically a flintstones car when I got the shell. Your sheet metal work is much nicer.

I windowed a B17 block...and actually found a complete running motor. Maybe it's just where I live, but B16s are extremely easy to source. I wonder if it's because of the 15 year import laws for canada, a ton of people were bringing over B16 EFs and EGs back when they were first legal for import. B18Cs are much rarer, so much so that I'm going back to a B16 in my racecar because I cannot source a reasonably priced block locally. Yet I have multiple B16 bottom ends because they were 200 bucks.

I wish we didn't have to wait 25 years for imports. $200 blocks sounds awesome. If you go import engines here the price difference from b16 to b18 is usually worth going for the b18. At least for vtec engines. LS motors are way cheaper.

I'll take race car pics from today even if the build pics are missing.

So, bender sorted, I started in on the base plates. Plan is to cut through the floor and drop the cage down to weld the top.

IDK if i didnt take enough pics or imgur sucks but you get the idea. Base plates, yay.

Bender time.

Man it looks like I know wtf im doing.

Nope lol, main hoop took two tries. First time I did the math on a piece of paper and thought I had it. I did not. So I laid out the whole thing on the floor of my garage. Started with the extremes of the car, offset it an inch, and laid out the main hoop to match. Then i bent to fit the marks on my floor. This worked a lot better, but still not perfect. But I decided it was good enough.

Holes in the floor work!

I wish I had made the lower bends a littler higher. Oh well, close enough.

Meet the notch master.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
One thing I absolutely wish I knew when I was building a cage for the very first time: Use giant cardboard templates as a guide for stuff that is single plate, or close to it. As you do the bends you can compare it to the template.

We kind of have a honda thing going between friends. The EK coupe is my car, and the del sol and CRX are friends cars.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Is that a legend front end on it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Canada got the Acura EL, which a badge-engineered version of the Civic (kinda like the CL was essentially an Accord). Looks like the front clip from one of those?

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Looking good Honda but on the bad part of these posts it's making me get the Honda itch again.

JudgeJoeBrown fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 31, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dem solid amber corners on EG's are just :fap: (I had them on mine too)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

STR posted:

Canada got the Acura EL, which a badge-engineered version of the Civic (kinda like the CL was essentially an Accord). Looks like the front clip from one of those?

It's definitely different and I kinda like it.

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

Looking good Honda but on the bad part of these posts it's making me get the Honda itch again.

Thanks. One of us one of us!

Sharkytm you're my hero.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
My pleasure. It wasn't doing me any good sitting in a box. Glad it got there intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Main hoop "in", some extra bars holding it in place.

Time for the halo next. But there's more rust. The halo will possibly block the rust so I decided to tackle that first.

Not perfect but the windshield will cover it up and gently caress it, ill probably wreck this at some point. Its not a restoration.

This time I start with the floor layout and bend the halo to fit.

Then I make some bars for the a pillars.

I've finally caught up with the pictures I uploaded when I made the first post. Imgur is not what it was, and I'm glad I don't have to wade through their site anymore and can just phone post the rest of this. Should be less image dumps and more regular "heres what I did today" with interesting bits and bitching.