Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Lotus Aura posted:

104th platinum down and filling in the E slot (for now?) on the alphaplat is Evoland, a frankly terrible duology who's main gimmick wore out its welcome halfway through the first game and somehow got worse in the second. At least the first one was mostly focused whereas the second one seemed so half-baked with its approximately 1000 different gameplay ideas and none of them fully realised or even frankly feeling finished? The grind to level 30 takes way too long normally so it effectively requires you deal with the terrible beat em up controls where pressing one button makes you jump and either do a spin kick, do a tornado thing thats somehow weaker, do a regular attack or do nothing completely arbitrarily and with no rhyme or reason to it.

It's only an Uncommon too so its only worth 2 points putting me at 67/130. I'll move onto something more fun and enjoyable in-between Balatro grinds now.

That puts you tied with me. Not to make me look any better, but this is the first time we've had two people with the same score, and my plan was always to list first to post the score as the higher in the list. Simply because something had to be used to decide the order so first come, first served and all that. As always, the real competition is ourself.

Current Alphaplat Leaderboard:

Morpheus - 98/130
Dr. Eldarion - 96/130
InEffiable - 95/130
Paying2Lurk 87/130
Fedule - 85/130
ultrachrist - 79/130
Revitalised - 72/130
apohenium - 70/130
Hirsute - 69/130
ShakeZula - 68/130
Parkingtigers - 67/130
Lotus Aura - 67/130
GoutPatrol - 63/130
Anti-Hero - 56/130
Raspberry Bang - 50/130
ShadowedFlames - 23/130
Referee - 19/130
IcePhoenix - 18/130
everwake - 14/130
The Postman - 12/130

My current trophy/gaming goals are a mixed bag.

Helldivers 2. I was playing this obsessively recently, and it's rare these days that a game grabs me by the jaffas and doesn't let go so I embrace the feeling when it happens. Not played much recently, but dove in today and randomly got one of the three remaining trophies. I just need to get 5 super-rare samples and I can get one of the last duo, and then it's a 6 minute level 6 mission (which is the hardest trophy in the game). Waiting for the next major order, but really want to get this plat put to bed so I can just login for a bit now and then for funsies. No alphaplat boost from this one.

Fallout 76 is the current obsession that took over from Helldivers, and thanks to Paying2Lurk I got the “interaction with other players” trophies done so it's just a steady journey towards 100% through normal gameplay. Will be a trek though, game big. So satisfying still though.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag is 2 trophies off plat. Still logging and hoping someone will play the assassinate mode. Actually had 3 people in the lobby this morning for that mode, and it only takes 4 for a match. Literally never seen anyone in there before. I’m level 13, and need to grind to 55, but that's all soloable apart from that one (1) match needed in that game mode. I should try and force myself to do one solo wolfpack match a day to gradually work on the grind and move on. So close, but so far from done.

Assassin's Creed II PS4 replay is about 60% done. I'll likely get all the Florence feathers at some point this week, then it's just forcing through Venice where the game starts to outstay its welcome. I have all the AC games up to Origins installed right now, and I'm wanting to get the whole series done. Dipped into Brotherhood and Revelations and ACIII just long enough to earn a trophy so my dancecard is marked. Might do the same with Rogue, Unity, and Syndicate for the set, just so when I'm looking at PSNP there's an “oh yeah, need to get on with those” pressure.

Dave the Diver I started the other day when my internet was too sketchy for FO76. Should be a fun and easy one to mark off, so long as I get back in before the next shiny thing distracts me. I'm such a gadfly gamer, I so respect those of you who manage to stick with one or two games to completion before moving on because I loving wish that was me.

I also have a dozen hours into the PS4 port of FF7. A game I started on PSOne (mostly on Vita) 4 separate times, before always getting distracted after leaving midgard about… huh, 12 hours in. I'm playing with a guide so I don’t miss any trophies, but it's so hard as right now I don't have a TV so I'm using the PSVR2 headset as a cinema screen and checking the laptop for the guide is… well, it makes me want to avoid any games which need a guide.

Yoku's Island Adventure I stalled on precisely because I need a guide (or at the very least a map) to really get cleaned up on. Lovely game, great rec from this thread, and a Y I desperately need for my Alphaplat. Really need to get it out of the VR headset though, and remote play to my iPad just won't really cut it on my shared network.

Finally, I'm only one trophy away from the plat on Spider-Man, which I'll easily get during the last 1.5 dlc packs I have to finish. I just can't bring myself to play it more through, it's such a chore now I actively despise that game. I'll just bite the bullet at some point as it's the least amount of work needed to finish a game I can delete and free up dozens of GB of disk space. I just… ugh, it's something I just want to be over with. I'll absolutely be saving the NG+/spectacular difficulty combo run trophies for much later. I'm not ready to go through that sorry excuse of a story again any time soon.

I did also restart Battlestar Galactica Deadlock again, having not played for so long I needed a fresh start. I should get back into that before I lose my place again.

Aaaaanyway, those are my short term completion goals. I should be starting a new job next Monday and it has a lengthy bus commute and a full lunch hour so I might throw a Vita game into the mix. Gravity Rush needs finally finishing and it's a G that will boost my score in addition to being seriously overdue unfinished business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
New week, new trashy plats -

#383, 31st completed game of 2024: Dimcom
#384, 32nd completed game of 2024: Flappy Eros

A couple more 9 cent platinums that only take minutes to get. Dimcom was a little confusing at first because it doesn't tell you the controls anywhere in the game. But once you figure them out it's easy enough. Flappy Eros is a flappy bird game, that's it. Two more fillers on the road to 400.

Okay, back to Fallout 76.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Parkingtigers, note the beforeiplay for AC 3 in particular- it’s a bear to 100%.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Discendo Vox posted:

Parkingtigers, note the beforeiplay for AC 3 in particular- it’s a bear to 100%.

Oh I will. Never start any game without a ”what bullshit do I need to look out for?” guide to trophies these days. I think the bullshit that made me wary forever was Red Dead Redemption back when I was on 360. A secret achievement that required you to go twenty missions without changing your hitched horse. Nothing wrong with that, but it was a secret achievement so if you didn’t potentially spoil yourself by looking through the hiddens then you could, as I did, roll credits and discover you need another half playthough just for that nonsense. I've been bitter and untrusting ever since.

Something about this replay of AC2 (my 3rd in total, plus a 25% run in 2019 which got me enough trophies to decide to make it a full replay) is that I think 90% of people's appreciation for the series is based upon fond memories of this game. AC1 was a deeply flawed yet technically impressive proof of concept with a boring AF protagonist. Then AC2 has the incredibly charming Ezio, incredible Renaissance Italian setting, and a solid ”you killed (some of) my family revenge plot. Venice drags on a bit but overall it's a mostly brilliant and surprisingly bullshit free experience.

Brotherhood is where the series starts going wrong, introducing multiplayer which is unique and interesting but a hellish trophy grind for us types. Even in singleplayer it's when they added the 100% sync stuff which makes completion runs so much more annoying. Revelations is more of the same and the point where they're already churning the games out faster than they can be comfortably enjoyed (by me at least).

Then you had AC3 which consensus seems to regard as a low point and full of bullshit busywork. I only played the intro at launch (too many games, and an AC backlog) and liked playing as Haytham though felt overpowered just running up to a patrol of 10 British soldiers and murdering them all in open combat. I did plat AC Liberation on Vita at that time which was a *miserable* experience.

AC4 has all the ship stuff, and pirates, but is still bogged down by MP trophies, stealth missions in my pirate game, and modern day stuff where instead of yo ho ho-ing my way through an adventure I'm in a corporate office hacking a computer. WHY?

There's that weird period when AC games are not sure where to go next, so it's map icon vomit and closing the gap to modern day, before going full RPG looter style and making the games twice (or more) as long while also removing the “how do I get up there?” climbing route puzzles.

Yet why do I want to persist with these series that I love/hate? I swear, it's those memories of good times playing AC2 where it all just hit right and the glimpses of what future games could be, coupled with flashes of what these games used to be, means I do need to see them all. There's now 14(?) mainline games of these including Liberation. That's too many games, in far too short a time period, but I've come full circle now where instead of nopeing out of the series for them being too much, I now need (need I say) to play them all and follow that design and storytelling process through the PS360 to PS4 era. It's now a journey through time both in and out of the game. It's self abuse on many levels, but 2007 - 2020 also happens to coincide directly with a specific period in my life, and AC1 to Valhalla covering that period means I get to work my way through that too. Mirage onwards I don't care about, I can stop there and draw a line under it.

I'd say this need is a sickness, but this is the trophy thread and we're all broken people here.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Despite the formulaic nature of it, I still really enjoy the AC games. I haven't played Mirage yet but will soon. Valhalla was the last game I got all the achievements for on xbox before swapping mostly to ps5. I'm one of the weirdos who wishes they'd go harder on being historically accurate and was irritated how hard they whitewashed the vikings.

I got the achievements for most of them (excluding rogue and the london one, including the 2d stealth spin offs) on xbox. Well, not the MP trophies, other than Unity since you can do them SP. AC3 got a bad wrap and I liked running around the wilderness; it was also the last game where the meta story was relevant at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I was able to kick my AC completion habit by learning about the habits of Ubisoft executives.