Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

TheBizzness posted:

There’s also no levity at all. Everything about it is completely serious the entire time, except the aforementioned bathroom sounds which weren’t serious but were bad.

Tim Olyphant is pretty drat funny in that season. Jason Schwartzman has some funny scenes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Doctor Senator is one of the greatest character names in a show already full of excellently-named characters. We must give credit where due.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The Grumbles posted:

Doctor Senator is one of the greatest character names in a show already full of excellently-named characters. We must give credit where due.

that scene in the first episode where the Faddas and Cannons face off and they have everyone's name on screen is great for this. Opal Rackley! Constant Calamita! Antoon Dumini! Mars Freeman!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

ChesterJT posted:

Tim Olyphant is pretty drat funny in that season. Jason Schwartzman has some funny scenes as well.

After I posted it occurred to me some of the Schwartzman scenes with killer nurse were humorous so yeah, bad call by me.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I gotta say that I didn't feel like Shwartzman had the chops to be in that season. His performance felt really flat. I don't think he has the depth or range do to a Fargo . I spent the whole time thinking 'you're Jason Shwartzman'.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

also the scene where the italian boss accidentally shoot's himself in the head after he finally makes up with schwartzman's character is also really funny

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

I gotta say that I didn't feel like Shwartzman had the chops to be in that season. His performance felt really flat. I don't think he has the depth or range do to a Fargo . I spent the whole time thinking 'you're Jason Shwartzman'.

Ok hear me out.

I’m fairly certain the acting quality was a deliberate choice. Rock ain’t a great actor, but he isn’t that bad. Shwartzman is a good actor and definitely isn’t that bad.

I remember being super excited to discuss this new meta angle hawley was taking that season when it aired but like only one other goon had a similar thought and everyone else panned it.

I love you other deranged goon! You were right!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I just finished it and it is very good :colbert:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

King Of Coons posted:

Ok hear me out.

I’m fairly certain the acting quality was a deliberate choice. Rock ain’t a great actor, but he isn’t that bad. Shwartzman is a good actor and definitely isn’t that bad.

I remember being super excited to discuss this new meta angle hawley was taking that season when it aired but like only one other goon had a similar thought and everyone else panned it.

I love you other deranged goon! You were right!

:):respek::) That might have been me I think!

My take at the time was that Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman weren’t nearly as intimidating as they acted like they were, but it sort of made sense in a way because hey, this isn’t NYC or LA we’re seeing here, it’s Kansas City. And IIRC both characters were replacing older, more established and respected characters near the beginning of the season.

So yeah, they’re not S-tier big city goons, they’re B-tier medium city goons trying to act tough.

Whether or not it “worked” is still probably up for debate, but that was at least my justification for the casting.

EDIT: This thread is actually the S4 thread repurposed so I went back and found my original take:

timp posted:

On the one hand I agree, and I would even extend this to Jason Schwartzman and a few of the other gangsters, from both families. Chris Rock, Schwartzman, the guy that plays Gaetano—they're all trying to play big and tough when clearly none of them are. Rock is playful and observant, Schwartzman is neurotic and soft-spoken, and for all his posturing Gaetano really does seem to have that fun "Ah, I'm just messing with ya" energy. But, on the other hand...

I think it actually works really well for their characters. All of these members of crime families were forced to grow up into their roles. They know all the right things to say and they know how to act to get what they want, but you can't very well change your height or your voice or whatever. They're doing their best to play the role they were given, and I mean that in regards to the actors AND their characters. Plus, it's not like these are New York or Chicago gangsters. Of course freakin' Missouri's going to get the B-list mafiosos, and that's more than enough to bring all the mild-mannered midwesterner townsfolk to heel when needed.

timp fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 7, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm almost done with the rewatch of S4.

Chris Rock is awful. Just plain awful. I forgot how bad he was on the first watch. He can't deliver any lines convincingly and he's not intimidating in the least. It was a terrible casting for what the character is supposed to be.

They should have swapped the sides storylines. Schwartzman could have played Chris Rocks role way better and Chris Rock could have been useable as an unconvincing leader trying to grab power. Or at the very least they should have axed Schwartzman's character and just had Gaitano as the psycho leader and it would have been way more effective.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hell yeah, I binged through s5 and it's really fantastic. Especially the ending.

Old Munch is such a great character. Jon Hamm is also fantastic in this. His natural charisma made me constantly anticipate some redeeming qualities or redemption arc for him, but it never came. He's just a very charming piece of poo poo.

All the little references to No Country for Old Men were also really fun(Jon Hamm's monologue, the tracker signal receiver, Munch's hairstyle, etc.). Although I can't really see any coherent examination or rebuttal of the movie's themes. It all seems just like random easter eggs.

e: also, Munch talks about reaching the Americas on a ship with rowers. But he left Britain in the 16th century, when IIRC rowers were no longer used on the Atlantic route. Is it supposed to be a hint that his story is made up?

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 8, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

timp posted:

My take at the time was that Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman weren’t nearly as intimidating as they acted like they were, but it sort of made sense in a way because hey, this isn’t NYC or LA we’re seeing here, it’s Kansas City. And IIRC both characters were replacing older, more established and respected characters near the beginning of the season.

So yeah, they’re not S-tier big city goons, they’re B-tier medium city goons trying to act tough.

Whether or not it “worked” is still probably up for debate, but that was at least my justification for the casting.

EDIT: This thread is actually the S4 thread repurposed so I went back and found my original take:

My impression of Kansas City is gangsters are crazier there than most anyone on any of the Coasts. It's butcher country right?

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

timp posted:

Hell yeah bro! I didn't draw the geographical line but that's a great point.

In regards to the characters, exactly. To expound, not only are they not cut out for the roles life has cast them in, their hearts aren't in it. I I feel like that bled thru wonderfully in the actual performances. Both of the characters and the real actors.

Did it work? I loved it. Otoh the dude right after you blasted Rock. lol chef kiss either way from me

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chris Rock was probably the worst miscast of the entire series.

I was rewatching The Counselor the other day and I forgot the actor for Munch showed up in that in a similar role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmLWU4rb4X8

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

ruddiger posted:

Chris Rock was probably the worst miscast of the entire series.

I was rewatching The Counselor the other day and I forgot the actor for Munch showed up in that in a similar role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmLWU4rb4X8

"A man has a cord."

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
i forgot how visceral season 3 is. between varga's eating disorder and the guy who got crushed by the ac unit, really plays up the body horror

only just finished ep5 on my rewatch but i think s3 is still my favourite

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

thehoodie posted:

i forgot how visceral season 3 is. between varga's eating disorder and the guy who got crushed by the ac unit, really plays up the body horror

only just finished ep5 on my rewatch but i think s3 is still my favourite

also the bit where Nikki gets beat half to death. hurts just to look at it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Great season, Juno Temple was amazing & I liked the ending.

Minor quibble, felt like too many scenes didn’t trust the audience to figure out a character or idea. Like the golfing husband, the abusive son of the old lady, & the unlucky guy in the hospital. Instead of hinting at their unlikeable nature, they seemed to spend every second of screen time yelling about why they deserved a bad fate. Especially the hospital guy, could have been more interesting if Dorothy picked a random guy & had to live with it, but nope he’s the biggest jerk in the ward.

And Lorraine’s monologue to Roy at the end went way too long, all that was needed was to tell him many prisoners have debts she has chosen to help & let him figure it out silently, but nope gonna list the specific cell blocks, point out the guys, & mention exactly what she wants to have happen, it’s like cmon we get it. Also pretty sure can’t hand sealed packs of cigarettes to prisoners.

Also the FBI standoff felt a bit confused, both sides are gonna stand ten yards from each other & FBI doesn’t react to rifles being aimed at their faces? Felt too cramped, especially when the large FBI group says they are going covert but walk into the ranch in obvious eyesight of the militia but go unnoticed in broad daylight. Wonder if the scene was supposed to be foggier but they couldn’t manage the effect that long.

Eh minor quibbles, excellent tv especially Ole Munch.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

also the bit where Nikki gets beat half to death. hurts just to look at it.

also can't forget the scene with the handcuffs

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i thought both denouements of roy/lorraine and munch/dot's family were good ways to end the show but you might be on to something about them being too long and now that i think of it, the entire showdown at the ranch was pretty much cut away from, right? maybe they had a bigger sequence planned there which ended up not working or they couldn't shoot,and ended up using footage in those final scenes which would have been edited for pace otherwise

or y'know maybe not

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

On purpose I'd say. We don't really need to see it and there were a lot more important scenes to be had with real character development.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

sealed packs of cigarettes

Would it be OK if they were unsealed?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 18, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

roomtone posted:

i thought both denouements of roy/lorraine and munch/dot's family were good ways to end the show but you might be on to something about them being too long and now that i think of it, the entire showdown at the ranch was pretty much cut away from, right? maybe they had a bigger sequence planned there which ended up not working or they couldn't shoot,and ended up using footage in those final scenes which would have been edited for pace otherwise

or y'know maybe not

It's on purpose yeah. It's for two reasons really - to make the final shootout feel chaotic and in disarray - these panicked sorts of bursts of disjointed adrenaline. And the overall length is, I think, supposed to be the show not allowing Tillman the stage, letting it be known that the shootout itself isn't some blaze of glory, or even that important to the plot. Moving on to more interesting things kind of feels like a way of puncturing Tillman's self-diagnosed main character syndrome. It's the show losing interest in his bullshit, if that makes sense.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i think the way the shootout was presented was good at putting us in dot's head of having a complete and total panic attack

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

you don't have a compound unless you're going to have a federal raid

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3k-AfWOtMM/?img_index=1

For when you gotta eat something made of love and joy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Open Source Idiom posted:

If her scenes were about making the audience stew in their dislike for her and their frustration at her success then the show didn't do a great job, as demonstrated by all the people here, and elsewhere, who were pleased by her success.

Lorraine is a terrible person all the way through, she's a billionaire laughing at the debts of the poor. She does multiple terrible things during the season. She just doesn't face any repercussions from her actions.

There's a bit of a redemption arc with her accepting Dot as her daughter in law, but otherwise she's just a bad person all the way through.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Lorraine is a terrible person all the way through, she's a billionaire laughing at the debts of the poor. She does multiple terrible things during the season. She just doesn't face any repercussions from her actions.

There's a bit of a redemption arc with her accepting Dot as her daughter in law, but otherwise she's just a bad person all the way through.

Yeah no poo poo. I can see what the show was doing but giving her a redemption arc, as you phrase it, isn't something I like.

But I think this argument has been litigated ad nauseam by this point.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah no poo poo. I can see what the show was doing but giving her a redemption arc, as you phrase it, isn't something I like.

But I think this argument has been litigated ad nauseam by this point.

Then instead of repeating yourself ad nauseam why not explain why you don't like it? Why be so simple that bad people must always be bad and characters can't change and grow?

They're not trying to say "nevermind that other stuff, she's a good person now!". But if characters never have any growth what's the point of the show then?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 1, 2024

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

she's redeemed? maybe she's a little more open minded, but i don't think the show says much if anything about her actions. if anything, the show says she loses a trustworthy friend likely because david foley isn't sure about her

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

She’s not shown to be that much more open minded even. With her granddaughter she was upset for how it would look PR wise than a personal view and otherwise treats her well, and with Dot she knew she was hiding a dark secret, but assumed it was her being a gold digger after a fortune instead of someone just wanting a happy marriage after escaping a horrible one she wanted to never deal with again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

And immediately after accepting Dot as her daughter in law and part of the family she uses her money to impose extrajudicial punishments on a horrible man now in prison. She's still not a great person.