Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I’m curious what everyone thinks about all the Drumline music being used in the soundtrack. Do you like it? Does it set the mood well? Does it seem out of place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's weird. Drumline music always makes me think of high school.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Overall I'm not really feeling this season, but maybe it gets better. I mean, Oraetta is a pretty good villain, but she's no V.M. Varga. Varga was one of the best villains in TV history
Yes but if they did the same thing every season it would get boring.
Having incomptent villains is a nice change for the show IMO.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PerilPastry posted:

easily best episode of the season so far

Yeah. That moved along nicely.

Also the whole "I'm the bull and you are the snake" speech was almost heartwarming. I'm still rooting for Loy and the crew but the Italians keep growing on me. Gaetano could be some scary rear end muscle to have.

Odis makes me sad. I want him to overcome but the guy is doomed. RIP Mormon Raylan

The World Inferno posted:

More evidence Cannon's son is gonna grow up to be Mike :,)

I really like this and hope this is canon. Also thinking about how Josto's revelation gave some more depth to Rabbi and his decision.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

timp posted:

I’m curious what everyone thinks about all the Drumline music being used in the soundtrack. Do you like it? Does it set the mood well? Does it seem out of place?

I like it. Makes it feel like the drums of war.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The way Deafy was staring at Odis (and the camera), judging him in death was masterfully executed.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

MokBa posted:

The way Deafy was staring at Odis (and the camera), judging him in death was masterfully executed.

yea that was neat

PerilPastry posted:

I'm pretty sure the supernatural element that's going to tie this whole season together are the extensive farting and puking sequences

yea, wtf

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mameluke posted:

I think it's weird. Drumline music always makes me think of high school.

ruddiger posted:

I like it. Makes it feel like the drums of war.

I wanted to ask because I think it's pretty much impossible for me to listen without a bias. I have a strong background in music for drumlines. All of the tracks used in this season are from free albums written by a guy named Cassidy Byars (they're all on Spotify if anyone is interested) I've heard his stuff used on a few other shows, most notably Vice Principals—always wondered if he gets paid when people use his tracks since he published them for free initially.

And while I want to live in a world where drumline music is more common because I love it so much, I think I'd actually have to agree with ruddiger. I love drumline music, but at this moment in time it's definitely used to remind people of high school (or sometimes college).

Also, and I realize this is petty as hell, but drumlines in 1950 were absolutely incapable of the stuff being done in the tracks used; there were no quads or tonal bass drums, and snares weren't nearly as tight. Plus the music was generally a lot less complex. While I realize that it wasn't meant to be period music or anything like that, it still feels extremely anachronistic to me, like suddenly hearing a metal guitar shredding away or something. But like I said, I wasn't sure if that was just because I'm ultra familiar with the tracks being used (been on my Spotify playlists for nearly a decade now) or if anyone else was getting that vibe as well.

tl;dr: I have a lot of complicated opinions about boom-booms and bangy-bangs.

Anyways Oraetta sure does walk funny eh?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i always assumed it was Virtual Drumline. I just wish TV and movie drumline scores were cleaner, sometimes they're very dirty sounding and it kills me

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I'm genuinely surprised they offed Deafy this episode.

I really thought he was going to act as a through line of like the powers of white supremacy keeping everyone else down. His monologue was just dehumanizing in a way that I found unsettling. And that's even without getting to the slurs, the references to lynching folks and how casually he was willing to ruin a girl's life in previous episodes.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 11, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My current thought as to the ghost is that it represents America's original sin, considering this season has dealt with the unattainability of the American Dream. Basically, America has a decaying corpse in its basement--its treatment of people of color--that continues to haunt them to this day. I originally thought the ghost was just a thing haunting Ethelrida's family, considering that before this episode no one except her and Zelmare had seen it, but Swanee seeing it in this episode kinda solidified this idea, which I had been toying with for a while now. The ghost showing itself exclusively to a black family and a Native American woman is honestly pretty blunt at this point, the ghost is racism y'all

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How does murder nurse fit into the rest of that reading, though?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Open Source Idiom posted:

How does murder nurse fit into the rest of that reading, though?

I have no idea! I don't actually have a clue how to interpret Oraetta's actions on even a literal level, much less a metaphorical one!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Break her down to the basics. She’s a white woman in a position of authority who abuses her power in the form of murdering her patients and stealing from their corpses. She’s sloppy at covering her tracks and one of her earliest scenes she’s called out and busted by her employer, but she uses her knowledge of the system to blackmail her boss who ends up writing her a glowing review for a new job opportunity. From what we can deduce about her past, it’s a pattern she’s well versed in which means she’s gotten away with it on multiple occasions, despite leaving clues behind.

No marshals are after her, no manhunts warranted. She’s the faceless form of the every day evil ignored within western culture.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
The undead figure is referencing this:

“America is not a young land: it is old and dirty and evil. Before the settlers, before the Indians... the evil was there... waiting.”

― William S. Burroughs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although this episode showed that her actions at least partially come from a childhood where her mother was suffering from Munchausen by proxy.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

timp posted:

It's dope. I feel like it fits the tension nicely, and I heard a rhythm in the last episode that sounded very familiar. (i was a drumline dork in hs)

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

I like Oraetta as a character a lot, and I like the drums on the soundtrack this season. But I have had a hard time getting immersed when Chris Rock is on the screen. Maybe I’m just too used to him as a comedian but I have never felt the intimidating presence I feel like the show wants to project from him. The shootout at the train station was shocking though, I did not expect the massacre or for Odis to start murdering people. My least favorite season so far but I’m still engrossed

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Pizza Segregationist posted:

I like Oraetta as a character a lot, and I like the drums on the soundtrack this season. But I have had a hard time getting immersed when Chris Rock is on the screen. Maybe I’m just too used to him as a comedian but I have never felt the intimidating presence I feel like the show wants to project from him. The shootout at the train station was shocking though, I did not expect the massacre or for Odis to start murdering people. My least favorite season so far but I’m still engrossed

Yeah, for a guy with so much charisma IRL it sure doesn't carry into much of an on-screen presence here; especially compared to guys like Doctor Senator.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

On the one hand I agree, and I would even extend this to Jason Schwartzman and a few of the other gangsters, from both families. Chris Rock, Schwartzman, the guy that plays Gaetano—they're all trying to play big and tough when clearly none of them are. Rock is playful and observant, Schwartzman is neurotic and soft-spoken, and for all his posturing Gaetano really does seem to have that fun "Ah, I'm just messing with ya" energy. But, on the other hand...

I think it actually works really well for their characters. All of these members of crime families were forced to grow up into their roles. They know all the right things to say and they know how to act to get what they want, but you can't very well change your height or your voice or whatever. They're doing their best to play the role they were given, and I mean that in regards to the actors AND their characters. Plus, it's not like these are New York or Chicago gangsters. Of course freakin' Missouri's going to get the B-list mafiosos, and that's more than enough to bring all the mild-mannered midwesterner townsfolk to heel when needed.

And speaking of Odis, what was up with his betrayal of Deafy in the last episode? That really seemed to come out of nowhere. What's his play there?

(Final thought: I was a good 4-5 episodes in before I finally realized that Odis is Harrow, the goddamned half-faced assassin from Boardwalk Empire. Jack Huston is a fuckin good actor!)

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

timp posted:

I freaking love it. I don't know what it "means" but it really resonates for me. I think to me it feels like Revolutionary War era drummer boy poo poo, which fits in with the story of two rival factions strategizing and scheming and such

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

timp posted:

And speaking of Odis, what was up with his betrayal of Deafy in the last episode? That really seemed to come out of nowhere. What's his play there?

I expect Loy told him to clean up all loose ends.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I thought Odis' turn had more to do with his monologue about being in control of his life. He had carved out a sort of controlled existence being paid off by the gangs, and Deafy's federal, do-good presence was the new variable that was disturbing that the most. Killing him (and the Roulettes) would return his life to some feeling of normalcy.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

timp posted:

On the one hand I agree, and I would even extend this to Jason Schwartzman and a few of the other gangsters, from both families. Chris Rock, Schwartzman, the guy that plays Gaetano—they're all trying to play big and tough when clearly none of them are. Rock is playful and observant, Schwartzman is neurotic and soft-spoken, and for all his posturing Gaetano really does seem to have that fun "Ah, I'm just messing with ya" energy. But, on the other hand...

I think it actually works really well for their characters. All of these members of crime families were forced to grow up into their roles. They know all the right things to say and they know how to act to get what they want, but you can't very well change your height or your voice or whatever. They're doing their best to play the role they were given, and I mean that in regards to the actors AND their characters. Plus, it's not like these are New York or Chicago gangsters. Of course freakin' Missouri's going to get the B-list mafiosos, and that's more than enough to bring all the mild-mannered midwesterner townsfolk to heel when needed.

This is where I keep finding myself landing w/ the Italian side. I do still wish Cannon had more weight to him tho, as his character is so far being treated moreso as someone who knows their poo poo and is clever, but lacks the respect and support to go anywhere with it outside crime.

Seems pretty clear this is going to end ala' Gangs of New York – where either one side "wins" but then is immediately arrested by the police (greater power), or they gear up for a final fight and are arrested there. No way this isn't ending with both sides crushed.

Deafy dying & the shootout seems like the perfect catalysts for either state gov or federal troops to come in.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I totally agree with Chris Rock. He's not intimidating, he's not believable, and he was totally miscast. It's like him and Doctor Senator should have swapped roles.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Chris Rock's character has been in "angry as hell" mode since the Doctor Senator thing. The problem with that is the only angry acting face Rock has is squinty eyes and pursed lips.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
To be fair, Chris Rock hasn't been given much to do. Its hard for him to seem intimidating when his biggest play so far has been giving a key hostage back to his enemy.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

timp posted:

It reminds me too much of Glee

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

FWIW there was drumline stuff in Season 2 as well, one moment that sticks in my memory was Lou and the other cops descending on the cabin where Hanzee and the Blumquists were doing their thing. It kind of sends a "poo poo's about to go down" signal.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tokelau All Star posted:

FWIW there was drumline stuff in Season 2 as well, one moment that sticks in my memory was Lou and the other cops descending on the cabin where Hanzee and the Blumquists were doing their thing. It kind of sends a "poo poo's about to go down" signal.

You remember drumline music specially, or just drums? I do recall the soundtrack of past seasons being drum heavy, but what I remember specifically was more of a drumset based, floor tom heavy groove, almost like the beginning of Sing Sing Sing or some other big band tune.

Looks like somebody helpfully uploaded a compilation of all Fargo drum tracks to YouTube (prior to S4 of course): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DggdZKsIfyY

According to the notes (and my vague recollection) it was usually used to underscore Wrench and Numbers, and then again in S3 when Wrench returns. Wouldn't be surprised if they snuck some variations into S2 as well though I don't remember that one as well due to how long it's been.

These sort of drums don't sound out of place to me like the marching drum tracks from this year.

EDIT: Well hold on now!! I just got to 4:30 in this track and there's definitely a little marching snare drum. How about that! And it just picks up more and more from there. Yup, you're definitely right.

timp fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 12, 2020

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
This is maybe the least invested in a season of Fargo I've been, especially 8 episodes in, and I didn't even particularly like season 3.
I have a hard time caring about most of the characters because:
A. The way these episodes are edited, most of them barely appear for multiple episodes at a time
B. Many of them have no discernible motives, at least not ones that point them towards other characters in the show in a way that would be exciting or interesting

The Smutney family shows up at the beginning, and because of their connection to both the Cannons and the two outlaws, become something of a catalyst for the war between the two gangs. The problem is that I have no idea what any of the Smutneys want. Ethelrida seems... nice? The parents want to pay back their debt, but they're barely in the show, and for most of the middle of the season have been entirely absent. 8 episodes in I have no guesses as to where they are going to end up, and outside of the first episode I don't even know if they do their jobs since we haven't seen them do anything but eat dinner. Andrew Bird and the girl who plays Ehtelrida both are terrible actors which might work with better material but it just really kills any momentum here.

The Cannons and the Faddas are at war, which mostly means shooting at each other every now and then and not killing any main characters. Loy is kind of a dull character, and I think killing off the most charismatic member of his gang early on was a big mistake for the show. Chris Rock brings nothing to the role, and on top of that I still am unsure of what he wants. We know vague things such as power and control, but he has no immediate goals, especially since he thinks his son is dead. He had an idea for a credit card, but was that just kind of a Hudsucker Proxy type reference? It feels like something out of a completely different show at this point. Josto and Gaetano have a fun dynamic, but again I have no clue where this is going especially now that they're back to working together. They want to win the war? Got it. I understood that from the beginning of the show, haven't learned much more since. Jason Schwartzman is good here, I think Gaetano is fine. And if Josto's going to have a fiancee who's connected to politics, either show that more or don't feature it at all.

Deafy and Odis. I love Timothy Olyphant, not the greatest at reciting some of this dialogue but charisma like crazy. I have no idea why they didn't just condense Deafy's scenes so far this season down to like two episodes, since it would have made way more of an impact. We understand exactly what he wants, what he'll do to get it and how much danger he's willing to run into. It makes all his scenes exciting, in stark contrast to almost every other character in the show. Every scene with Odis has been essentially the same scene, and besides learning a little backstory, we know nothing about him. What he tells Deafy in this last episode was a little insightful I guess, but was it a lie? I don't know, Jack Huston plays the character well but I feel I have nothing to hold onto with him.

The outlaws are fun, I enjoy them as agents of chaos.

Oraetta is again a character with no immediate motivations besides recently having to try and save her own skin, but she kind of exists in the peripheries of the rest of the show in a way that would be more compelling if she had some other goals maybe? I don't know, since I have no clue what she's going to do I have a hard time finding her character compelling. Jessie Buckley does a great job though and is maybe the best actor on the show.

I just rewatched seasons 1 and 2 this year, and I felt more tension even knowing what was going to happen than I have felt at any point this entire season.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

timp posted:

EDIT: Well hold on now!! I just got to 4:30 in this track and there's definitely a little marching snare drum. How about that! And it just picks up more and more from there. Yup, you're definitely right.

Found the part I meant, phone posting so skip to 3:14:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNVLfpsxCsE

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Mullitt posted:

He had an idea for a credit card, but was that just kind of a Hudsucker Proxy type reference? It feels like something out of a completely different show at this point.

I think it was to show that he was a smart guy who was trying to go straight. It doubles as a dig against credit card companies acting as legalized loan sharking. The failure at the meeting follows the theme of people experiencing the "soft" racism of being treated politely but still not being taken seriously. Later we see the Diners Club ad and it's full of smiling white people. His idea wasn't stolen, but it didn't get the chance to happen because he's black.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mullitt posted:

I just rewatched seasons 1 and 2 this year, and I felt more tension even knowing what was going to happen than I have felt at any point this entire season.
The scene right before the time skip at the end of season one where Gus is sitting in his mail truck next to the woods in the snow and the music starts playing and the camera slowly pulls back is still one of the most tense moments I've ever experienced watching a tv show (which is kind of silly because there's no reason to think that he's about to be killed of anything but I still freaked out the first time I watched it).

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Lister posted:

I think it was to show that he was a smart guy who was trying to go straight. It doubles as a dig against credit card companies acting as legalized loan sharking. The failure at the meeting follows the theme of people experiencing the "soft" racism of being treated politely but still not being taken seriously. Later we see the Diners Club ad and it's full of smiling white people. His idea wasn't stolen, but it didn't get the chance to happen because he's black.

Yes, and he explicitly has gone over this theme in some of his many monologues this season. What I’m getting at is that we can understand his overall goals while also having no idea what his immediate desires and goals are and how this will figure into the story. The credit card thing happened multiple episodes apart and was not mentioned in between, and has never been a source of conflict between him and his enemies. It’s a personal problem for him, indicative of exactly the kind of world he’s in, but it has nothing to do with the rest of the story so far so feels irrelevant.
Loy had told the people around him time and time again who he is and how he sees the world, but in terms of the show we’ve seen them get in a couple small scuffles with the Italian gang over ill-defined turf. I have no idea if him being black is holding back his gang, because outside of that crooked cop busting his guys, I have no idea what these gangs even do and what they’re controlling.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Do not even ask posted:

I'll have to rewatch the entire season when it finishes to confirm my theory is right but the child-swapping "tradition" being a load of bullshit that was just made up so an Irish pedophile could get his jollies off abusing his enemy's kid was not something I saw coming
Oh my god not only that but it would explain why he was offed by his own son as well. Completely explains it. drat.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

My takes so far, which aren’t really novel at all compared to what y’all have posted already:

- I loved all of Fargo S1-3

- S4 had a slow start but has really grown on me. Still on track to be my least favorite, but not by as much as I thought after the first few eps

- I too thought Deafy was going to be more of a through line to the end. Building off the themes of the unattainability of the American dream, I thought they were setting him up to be a sort of unstoppable force of violence & corruption analogous to Malvo, as an inversion of the original Fargo trope of the do-gooder cop. I actually thought the casting was intentional here too given how similar Olyphant and Thornton look. I still think this season is very much making an intentional pivot towards pointing out cops as bad guys, so to speak, but was expecting Deafy to get played up in an even more symbolic way.

- I find myself caring the least about the murder nurse. Not that she isn’t an interesting character per se, and definitely a great actress, but it almost feels to me like they had the rest of the story/characters written and then inserted her for extra chaos after the fact. I’m sure she’ll wind up being instrumental in tying together the many arcs that are all coming to a head, but so far I feel like her character doesn’t really add much thematically or otherwise

- Casting rundown:
Chris Rock: meh, maybe it’s just ingrained in me from his comedy but I still feel like he gives off a wry sort of humor when he’s trying to be serious, and it just doesn’t really work for me with how the character seems to be written
Schwartzmann: I actually love him in this role, feels like his character is a more natural balance of humor with self-serious ego. Not sure how much of that is acting vs. writing
Andrew Bird: honestly I’m baffled as to how he got cast, he’s really bad
Gaetano: I get that he’s going for over the top and he pulls it off, I’m physically uncomfortable whenever he’s on screen which I think means he’s being effective, my only kind of nerdy gripe is that he’s just so brutally volatile that I find it almost too absurd (even for Fargo) that he wouldn’t have been killed by somebody within like a week of arriving in KC

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Mullitt posted:

Oraetta is again a character with no immediate motivations besides recently having to try and save her own skin, but she kind of exists in the peripheries of the rest of the show in a way that would be more compelling if she had some other goals maybe? I don't know, since I have no clue what she's going to do I have a hard time finding her character compelling. Jessie Buckley does a great job though and is maybe the best actor on the show.

She just had a revelation as to who attempted to sabotage her hunting ground. She also found out her boss survived her assassination attempt and it is known he was poisoned and will eventually wake up and implicate her.

Now Oraetta has to kill two people without being able to rely on injecting or feeding something to them. My guess is she tries to manipulate Josto into doing it. The doctor should be an easy sell, since Josto wants him dead already. With Ethelrida it will depend on if Oraetta has witnessed Loy coming and going, and/or if the connection between the outlaws and the funeral home was known to Josto or Oraetta.

Phantom Star fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 15, 2020

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

She just had a revelation as to who attempted to sabotage her hunting ground. She also found out her boss survived her assassination attempt and it is known he was poisoned and will eventually wake up and implicate her.

Now Oraetta has to kill two people without being able to rely on injecting or feeding something to them. My guess is she tries to manipulate Josto into doing it. The doctor should be an easy sell, since Josto wants him dead already. With Ethelrida it will depend on if Oraetta has witnessed Loy coming and going, and/or if the connection between the outlaws and the funeral home was known to Josto or Oraetta.

Yes, we know what she will probably do, but we’ve known that since the beginning of the show. She hasn’t really advanced much, and that journal has been sitting in her closet for many episodes and we knew it would be discovered.
I’m just trying to understand the lack of suspense and momentum in this season. We’re almost to the end of the show and I don’t feel we’re very far from the beginning, even in just what we know about who most of these characters are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Yeah, I really feel like this season is rudderless and just.. happening. I don't really care about any of the characters, and the show has explicitly told me I shouldn't, so what's the point? The setting is basically the only thing carrying it, and it's starting to, uh, crack.