Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should be done about the missing months
This poll is closed.
Do nothing and leave them blank. 16 26.67%
Hold new polls over the next three months to determine the rightful champions of the time period 27 45.00%
Award the months to Nigel McGuinness as recognition for his lengthy quality title run 17 28.33%
Total: 60 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sk posted:

keep the months blank but give nigel the Wrestlehut Pioneer Award and send him a plaque

JOHN CENA posted:

i would like to actually do this

it would be funnier if it's outright stated "champion of the month january-march 2008" 12 and a half years later imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Leave the months out entirely. The first month of 2008 was April

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
IMHO, Dragon Gate and New Japan should not be represented in the potential Jan-Mar 08 polls, as they would not have been there in contemporary times.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

IMHO, Dragon Gate and New Japan should not be represented in the potential Jan-Mar 08 polls, as they would not have been there in contemporary times.

dragon gate toured the US with roh at the time and was a visible presence. i could see the argument for discluding njpw though.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I'd prefer not to do polls for these months, when you have the benefit of hindsight you don't get stuff like Miz and Hager winning the poll.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

re-do the entire champion of the month voting from the beginning of 2008 to present, with the ability to use our future knowledge to influence all the votes

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Paper Lion posted:

re-do the entire champion of the month voting from the beginning of 2008 to present, with the ability to use our future knowledge to influence all the votes

Hell yeah, now that's a great idea!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

2008? gently caress that lets go 1988

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You know how they say 'Hindsight is 20/20'? The way I see it we now have the ability to view the past with perfect clarity; meaning if anything our votes now are actually more valid than the votes of 2008.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JOHN CENA posted:

dragon gate toured the US with roh at the time and was a visible presence. i could see the argument for discluding njpw though.

Dragon Gate was never included in any of the 2008 polls. It's one of the reasons I'd really prefer not to redo polls to fill in the gaps, it's simply not possible to recreate the mindset of the time - even if you restricted the options to those we used at the time (WWE Champ, World Heavyweight Champ, ECW Champ, ROH Champ, TNA Champ and GHC Champ), people would be more likely to vote they way they felt they SHOULD have voted 12 years ago as opposed to how they would have.

Basically the first two years somebody else was running the polls (Rick I think) then stopped at the end of 2007, and after 3 months I took over, and the gap is just the way things were. If there were new polls and "results" they'd have to have so many qualifiers added to them to explain they weren't actually real results, I imagine it being a lot messier/distracting than the three blank silhouettes currently there.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

that would be very fun, doing some old rear end years could be very interesting.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Explicitly doing 2020's 2000 champion of the month would be super fun, but the further you go back the harder it gets to find footage (& once you get to the territories you've also got questions of what's a major title). What would you include? NWA, WWF, AWA, IWGP HW, WWWA (the All Japan Women's title). What was even the top belt in All Japan at that point, because it's before the 3 singles belts were unified to create the Triple Crown?

But the footage is the big one imo and it's just easier to get your hands on footage from the 2000s than the '80s online (& even then it's far from complete)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Explicitly doing 2020's 2000 champion of the month would be super fun, but the further you go back the harder it gets to find footage (& once you get to the territories you've also got questions of what's a major title). What would you include? NWA, WWF, AWA, IWGP HW, WWWA (the All Japan Women's title). What was even the top belt in All Japan at that point, because it's before the 3 singles belts were unified to create the Triple Crown?

But the footage is the big one imo and it's just easier to get your hands on footage from the 2000s than the '80s online (& even then it's far from complete)

If you are going back that far it wouldn't be the IWGP title it would be the NWF title for New Japan. All Japan used the PWF title.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The NWF title was vacant from 1981 to 2003 so it wouldn’t be that.

In reality until the IWGP Heavyweight Title and the Triple Crown became things there wasn’t a clear top belt in those promotions: the NWF title was a vanity Inoki thing that few other people won and the three too All Japan titles bounced around in importance and were a thing because they wanted to give all of their top stars a belt to defend. AJW had the WWWA Title but the All Pacific Title equalled it in importance for large periods in the 90s (similar to the World of Stardom/Wonder of Stardom belts right down to the colour of the strap) and the top feud of the 80s never really involved the singles belt: it was Crush Gals vs Dump Matsumoto and friends.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IceAgeComing posted:

The NWF title was vacant from 1981 to 2003 so it wouldn’t be that.

In reality until the IWGP Heavyweight Title and the Triple Crown became things there wasn’t a clear top belt in those promotions: the NWF title was a vanity Inoki thing that few other people won and the three too All Japan titles bounced around in importance and were a thing because they wanted to give all of their top stars a belt to defend. AJW had the WWWA Title but the All Pacific Title equalled it in importance for large periods in the 90s (similar to the World of Stardom/Wonder of Stardom belts right down to the colour of the strap) and the top feud of the 80s never really involved the singles belt: it was Crush Gals vs Dump Matsumoto and friends.

Titles weren't the same as we think of them now, true. But I mean, when you run the company, you get a title and make it your title, it's the company's top title. Inoki wanted an outside world championship and he got it. There were other titles, but if we're trying to do territorial era titles and include New Japan, the NWF is kind of the obvious choice in the territorial era. The PWF is basically it as well for All Japan, the United National was Jumbo's belt and the International belt doesn't pop back up until the territories are starting to die and Crockett takes defacto control of the NWA title.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

championships as we know them today came into existence on april 1 2008

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

If you are going back that far it wouldn't be the IWGP title it would be the NWF title for New Japan. All Japan used the PWF title.

IWGP was first won in 1987 & the NWF belt was inactive (as far as I can tell) between '81 & '03. There was the WWF World Martial Arts Heavyweight Championship but I was assuming that wasn't so major.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

IWGP was first won in 1987 & the NWF belt was inactive (as far as I can tell) between '81 & '03. There was the WWF World Martial Arts Heavyweight Championship but I was assuming that wasn't so major.

But the territories were dead by 87. UWF sold, and the NWA title had been controlled by Crockett for years. To go back to when there was an actual NWA board approving champions, lots of territories and champions you are looking at when the NWF title was active.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

here's a compromise: let's just go back to November 1999.

Champion of the month, once a fortnight week, for all the months SA's been alive until we fill them in. The eligible match(es) for each champion will be linked in the OP alongside a brief description of their achievements that month, just like the current COTM.

This will go on until we catch up to 2008, at which point it'll be super clear what we should do.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 10, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Venomous posted:

here's a compromise: let's just go back to November 1999.

Champion of the month, once a fortnight, for all the months SA's been alive until we fill them in. The eligible match(es) for each champion will be linked in the OP alongside a brief description of their achievements that month, just like the current COTM.

This will go on until we catch up to 2008, at which point it'll be super clear what we should do.

You do realize that under your proposed timetable this project would literally take about 3-4 years to finish?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

You do realize that under your proposed timetable this project would literally take about 3-4 years to finish?

You're right. Was thinking we'd need to give folks time to watch all the matches, but nobody's going to do that. Once a week it is.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

It'd rule.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Cerebral Bore posted:

yeah it'd own

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benefit of starting in 99 is we could get the classic triple crown in as champion of the month!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Does anyone here have any plans for the next 3-4 years?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Does anyone here have any plans for the next 3-4 years?

I'm a goon, so no If I survive the plague, then when I get plans, then I can make one day a week to watch some classic matches and vote based on them

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Benefit of starting in 99 is we could get the classic triple crown in as champion of the month!

Congratulations to November 1999 Champion of the Month The Big Show, with 200 of the 384 votes cast.

150 of the other votes went to Bret Hart, causing a gigantic argument among the posters over SomethingAwful's obvious pro-WWF bias causing the wrong champion to win. This caused the person running the poll to give up and not hold one in December.

Vader got the remaining 34 votes.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gonna own when we get to peak Attitude Era booking and WWF has like 5 different champs on the poll every month

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Don't forget 99 WCW is peak Fall of WCW too!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

Congratulations to November 1999 Champion of the Month The Big Show, with 200 of the 384 votes cast.

150 of the other votes went to Bret Hart, causing a gigantic argument among the posters over SomethingAwful's obvious pro-WWF bias causing the wrong champion to win. This caused the person running the poll to give up and not hold one in December.

dont blame me I voted for Naoya Ogawa

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

In fairness, Big Show was booked like a loving beast on the night he won the title.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The poll has ended and we have a clear winner, so starting in November with the January 2008 period we will hold retroactive polls to determine the champion for these months, with a lengthy write up of the champions specific activity for those months. based on past criteria, we will only be covering with the following championships based on poll selections from that time: WWE Championship, World Heavyweight Championship, ECW Championship, TNA Heavyweight Championship, Ring Of Honor World Championship, and the GHC Heavyweight Championship of Pro Wrestling NOAH. These winners will be asterisked in the monthly listing after these retroactive polls are concluded. They will operate under the same rules as the other months of the year, in that the champion must have held the title for one full day of the calendar month AND made at least one recordable championship defense. I will be posting all of the championship title defenses for each month of the polls.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

This sucks

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

The poll has ended and we have a clear winner, so starting in November with the January 2008 period we will hold retroactive polls to determine the champion for these months, with a lengthy write up of the champions specific activity for those months. based on past criteria, we will only be covering with the following championships based on poll selections from that time: WWE Championship, World Heavyweight Championship, ECW Championship, TNA Heavyweight Championship, Ring Of Honor World Championship, and the GHC Heavyweight Championship of Pro Wrestling NOAH. These winners will be asterisked in the monthly listing after these retroactive polls are concluded. They will operate under the same rules as the other months of the year, in that the champion must have held the title for one full day of the calendar month AND made at least one recordable championship defense. I will be posting all of the championship title defenses for each month of the polls.

IMO including what is essentially the NXT title & not the Triple Crown or IWGP belts is garbo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hell I've been lying

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

IMO including what is essentially the NXT title & not the Triple Crown or IWGP belts is garbo

Those were the titles that were being included at the time. :shrug:

I know people voted to be able to pick "2008" winners so I guess there's a desire to do so, but again, I think people are just gonna vote for how they think they should have voted at the time and not how they actually did (for those who were around back then, in any case) so it's really not gonna be representative at all of early 2008 WrestleHut, which kind of makes me wonder what the point really is. Are the three blank spaces REALLY that much of an issue for people?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

what the point really is.

It's fun to watch & discuss wrestling & this gives people an excuse to watch & discuss some early '08 wrestling, which is why ignoring what WH2k would've included if they did the polls then is a good idea, because you can talk watch other wrestling you've probably not seen & talk about more wrestling.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mod Edit: Assuming this was posted to the wrong thread, moved the post.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think you meant to post that to the General Discussion thread? I moved it.

forkboy84 posted:

It's fun to watch & discuss wrestling & this gives people an excuse to watch & discuss some early '08 wrestling, which is why ignoring what WH2k would've included if they did the polls then is a good idea, because you can talk watch other wrestling you've probably not seen & talk about more wrestling.

Well forgetting the actual poll stuff for a second, it would actually be kinda neat to have a thread dedicated to a specific year of wrestling, especially if it is to make people aware of cool stuff that was going on outside of the major promotions at the time.