Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should be done about the missing months
This poll is closed.
Do nothing and leave them blank. 16 26.67%
Hold new polls over the next three months to determine the rightful champions of the time period 27 45.00%
Award the months to Nigel McGuinness as recognition for his lengthy quality title run 17 28.33%
Total: 60 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

In 2008, we just straight up forgot to do the thread for three months. I kind of hate just having three blank spots there, and i think we should vote on what we should do about it. I'm gonna give this poll one week.

I think there are realistically three options.

Option 1: We do nothing. Let our complacense and ignorance stand, and just have these months remain blank.

Option 2: We do supplementary polls over the next few months to fill in the gaps, and eligible champions from the major wrestling promotions at the time would be included (WWE/TNA/ROH/Noah/Dragon Gate/NJPW)

Option 3: We give Nigel McGuinness his due and retroactively award him the months as a testament to his major efforts in helping elevate ROH and its championship for his absolutely insane and body destroying 2008 calendar year run. It's a shame that he had a 19 month long title run that only won twice, and is probably the 2nd or 3rd most important title run in the company's history.

What do you guys think we should do about these missing months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Redo 2010 and give every month and the year to Takashi Sugiura

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lid posted:

Redo 2010 and give every month and the year to Takashi Sugiura

his run and noah's initial directional shift following misawa's death wasn't well received around here at first :(

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Randy Orton x3

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JOHN CENA posted:

Option 2: We do supplementary polls over the next few months to fill in the gaps, and eligible champions from the major wrestling promotions at the time would be included (WWE/TNA/ROH/Noah/Dragon Gate/NJPW)

Because I'm a dope I have absolutely had this idea except I was thinking of doing similar for the last I dunno, year or so, & then figured that asking people to watch stuff from 12 years ago was probably optimistic of me but I would love this.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The possible nominees:

WWE Champion Randy Orton
Edge World Heavyweight Champion
Undertaker WHC Literally the 30th of March

ROH Champion Nigel McGuinness

TNA Champion Kurt Angle

GHC Champion Mitsuharu Misawa
GHC Champion Takeshi Morishima (March only)

Open the Dream Gate CIMA

IWGP Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi (January only, lost the belt at Wrestlekingdom II)
IWGP Champion Shinsuke Nakamura

The IWGP ones are revisionist as hell btw as this was before either Nakamura or Tanahashi became the legends they were (Nakamura especially was noted for being a man devoid of personality) and these were the dark days of New Japan. Also during Nakamura's reign was when he wrestled Kurt Angle to unify the belt with Inoki's fake IGF belt so yeah a dark dark time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

The possible nominees:

WWE Champion Randy Orton
Edge World Heavyweight Champion
Undertaker WHC Literally the 30th of March

ROH Champion Nigel McGuinness

TNA Champion Kurt Angle

GHC Champion Mitsuharu Misawa
GHC Champion Takeshi Morishima (March only)

Open the Dream Gate CIMA

IWGP Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi (January only, lost the belt at Wrestlekingdom II)
IWGP Champion Shinsuke Nakamura

The IWGP ones are revisionist as hell btw as this was before either Nakamura or Tanahashi became the legends they were (Nakamura especially was noted for being a man devoid of personality) and these were the dark days of New Japan. Also during Nakamura's reign was when he wrestled Kurt Angle to unify the belt with Inoki's fake IGF belt so yeah a dark dark time.

It's not like people considered drawing or really any criteria when they vote for this stuff. The Nakamura/Tanahashi match was really good and the next month Nakamura unified the IWGP title with the version Angle had after beating Lesnar. The company had hit bottom but well, it wasn't exactly a great time for most companies at this point.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

For the sake of easiness, here's a list of the January 2008 title matches, with links to ones I can find online

ZERO1 Max HW
1/1 Masato Tanaka vs Daisuke Sekimoto

IWGP HW
4/1 Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura (it's the whole show so skip to 215minutes in)

BJW Death Match
6/1 Ryuji Ito vs MASADA

PWG World
6/1 Bryan Danielson vs Low-Ki
27/1 Low-Ki vs El Generico

TNA HW
6/1 Kurt Angle vs Christian Cage

ROH World
20/1 Nigel McGuinness vs Go Shiozaki
25/1 Nigel McGuinness vs Chris Hero
26/1 Nigel McGuinness vs Roderick Strong

ECW
22/1 CM Punk vs Chavo Guerrero

WWE Heavyweight
27/1 Randy Orton vs Jeff Hardy

WWE World Heavyweight
27/1 Edge vs Rey Mysterio

Theoretically I could upload the ROH & PWG matches. Dunno about finding anything else tho obviously the WWE stuff is on the Network.

And yes, I've always voted in these threads of just "which champion I've most enjoyed watching in this month". So I think Nakamura/Tana are a fair shout (where as Punk Chavo goes 6 minutes). And even in those dark days, WK II probably did 20,000 (the claimed attendance was 27,000) which ROH is just still running mostly sub-1000 fan shows. And I'd still almost certainly vote Nigel looking at the opponents he had .

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 7, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cavauro posted:

Randy Orton x3

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

For the sake of easiness, here's a list of the January 2008 title matches, with links to ones I can find online

ZERO1 Max HW
1/1 Masato Tanaka vs Daisuke Sekimoto

IWGP HW
4/1 Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura (it's the whole show so skip to 215minutes in)

BJW Death Match
6/1 Ryuji Ito vs MASADA

PWG World
6/1 Bryan Danielson vs Low-Ki
27/1 Low-Ki vs El Generico

TNA HW
6/1 Kurt Angle vs Christian Cage

ROH World
20/1 Nigel McGuinness vs Go Shiozaki
25/1 Nigel McGuinness vs Chris Hero
26/1 Nigel McGuinness vs Roderick Strong

ECW
22/1 CM Punk vs Chavo Guerrero

WWE Heavyweight
27/1 Randy Orton vs Jeff Hardy

WWE World Heavyweight
27/1 Edge vs Rey Mysterio

Theoretically I could upload the ROH & PWG matches. Dunno about finding anything else tho obviously the WWE stuff is on the Network.

2008 was not a great year for wrestling but the Nigel vs Roddy match kicks rear end, and the other two are pretty good, Edge vs Rey isn't as good as you might hope but it's still good, and it might sound silly given Orton's rep now but Orton vs Hardy wasn't as good as hoped but still good.

The Low Ki matches kick rear end, the TNA match is pretty good, the worst performance on there is probably Punk because those Chavo matches were boring as hell.

Would love to see that Tanaka vs Sekimoto match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And because I'm here, I'll just throw in Feb & March too because I sincerely have nothing better to do right now

Open The Dream Gate
3/2 CIMA vs Gamma

TNA World
10/2 Kurt Angle vs Christian Cage

IWGP HW
17/2 Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kurt Angle

ECW
17/2 Chavo Guerrero vs CM Punk

WWE World
17/2 Edge vs Rey Mysterio

WWE Heavyweight
17/2 John Cena vs Randy Orton

Shimmer
23/2 Sara Del Rey vs Daizee Haze

ROH
23/2 Nigel McGuinness vs Bryan Danielson

PWG
24/2 Human Tornado vs Karl Anderson vs Roderick Strong

IWA Mid South HW
1/3 Eddie Kingston vs Too Cold Scorpio (I know IWAMS is not a major promotion but that match sounds cool as hell)

AJPW Triple Crown
1/3 Kensuke Sasaki vs Satoshi Kojima

GHC HW
2/3 Mitsuhara Misawa vs Takeshi Morishima

ECW
4/3 Chavo Guerrero vs CM Punk
30/3 Chavo Guerrero vs Kane

PWG
7/3 Human Tornado vs Jack Evans

KO-D Openweight
9/3 HARASHIMA vs Yasu Urano

ROH
16/3 Nigel McGuinness vs Tyler Black
22/3 Nigel McGuinness vs Larry Sweeney
29/3 Nigel mcGuinness vs Austin Aries

Open The Dream Gate
20/3 CIMA vs Masato Yoshino

ZERO1 Max HW
23/3 Masato Tanaka vs Takao Omori

WWE HW
30/3 Randy Orton vs Triple H vs John Cena

WWE World
30/3 Edge vs The Undertaker

IWGP HW
30/3 Shinsuke Nakamura vs Hiroshi Tanahashi

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

IWA Mid South HW
1/3 Eddie Kingston vs Too Cold Scorpio (I know IWAMS is not a major promotion but that match sounds cool as hell)

in the same league as pwg at that time i'd argue before the companies went in opposite directions in the '10s.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Awesome Kong murdered Gail Kim in early January to win the Knockout Championship and held on to the title for 6 months. She should be in the running.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

ROH
6th Anniversary Show Nigel McGuinness vs Bryan Danielson

give Nigel his due

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne7rKXkFqaM

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

J-Ro posted:

Awesome Kong murdered Gail Kim in early January to win the Knockout Championship and held on to the title for 6 months. She should be in the running.

oh this is the loving one folks

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Give it to Miz imo.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

JOHN CENA posted:

Option 1: We do nothing. Let our complacense and ignorance stand, and just have these months remain blank.

We should not make excuses for or cover up the sloth of 2008 PSP

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

We should not make excuses for or cover up the sloth of 2008 PSP

Just look at it as an excuse to watch good wrestling you might not otherwise check or rewatch

I keep having the idea of going to do a match of the month thread but from 2000 onwards but it'd involve an investment in buying DVDs from Quebrada or someone that I can't make just yet. But the idea sits in my head as an excuse to watch an era I mostly missed seeing at the time

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Let the people decide, but also put as asterisk next to their pictures.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
We should do a vote for even earlier years!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Numero6 posted:

We should do a vote for even earlier years!

there wasnt a wrestlehut then

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

there was always a wrestlehut, in our hearts

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

protest voting for NWA World's Heavyweight Champion Adam Pearce

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

sk posted:

protest voting for NWA World's Heavyweight Champion Adam Pearce

There's an alternate universe in which Bryan Danielson doesn't detach his retina and wins the NWA title in 2007. Think about THAT.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

forkboy84 posted:

IWGP HW

Holy gently caress Nakamura O_O Doesn't even look like the same guy O_O

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As much as I hate the three blank spots too, I do think any vote made now wouldn't really reflect the mindset of the time, and the votes wouldn't match up with what would have been the actual results (for better or worse, after all it's ludicrous that Nigel McGuinness wasn't Champ of the Month for every single month he was ROH Champion).

If polls end up running though, I do like the idea of:

Tato posted:

Let the people decide, but also put an asterisk next to their pictures.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Give them all to Nigel with an asterisk, and then we'll send him a fruit basket

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Holy gently caress Nakamura O_O Doesn't even look like the same guy O_O

Nakamura's evolution from boring shoot fighter wrestler to suddenly having all the charisma in the world is amazing and is kinda of overlooked in the west cause of when it happened

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a little disgusted here. if the polls end up being recognized officially, i think they should be presented in greyscale images.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Fake Polls!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

As much as I hate the three blank spots too, I do think any vote made now wouldn't really reflect the mindset of the time, and the votes wouldn't match up with what would have been the actual results (for better or worse, after all it's ludicrous that Nigel McGuinness wasn't Champ of the Month for every single month he was ROH Champion).

If polls end up running though, I do like the idea of:

This is where I'm at. Back in 2008 this was a very WWE centric subforum so I think it would've been Edge or Orton easily.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Nakamura's evolution from boring shoot fighter wrestler to suddenly having all the charisma in the world is amazing and is kinda of overlooked in the west cause of when it happened

I'm sort of interested. At this point had Chaos formed? What really kick started Nakamura to be the guy he is today?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the images should have prison bars overlaid on them.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

And because I'm here, I'll just throw in Feb & March too because I sincerely have nothing better to do right now

Open The Dream Gate
3/2 CIMA vs Gamma

Main event Gamma is a big oof.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I talked to all of The Butt Avatar Posters and they said it’s ok to give it to Nigel.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

keep the months blank but give nigel the Wrestlehut Pioneer Award and send him a plaque

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I talked to all of The Butt Avatar Posters and they said it’s ok to give it to Nigel.

shocked they didn't want to give it to mickie james rear end

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sk posted:

keep the months blank but give nigel the Wrestlehut Pioneer Award and send him a plaque

i would like to actually do this

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

we really are becoming tnamecca

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A poll, but you can only vote in it if you first watch nothing but late '07/early '08 wrestling and read only newsboards & forum posts from that era for a month, in order to properly recapture what the IWC climate was like back then. If we want to go earlier, you also have to make a super grimdark e-fed character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
voted to leave the months blank as a monument to our ignorance but i'd be ok with an asterisks next to the winner.