Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ASAPI posted:

Out of curiosity, how much does training for EMT (or higher) cost in the real world? I never bothered to look it up, but have a feeling that whatever number I find will be on the low side after random costs add up.

Some volunteer EMS organizations will cover the cost of your training if you commit to a period of time working for them. That's how I got my certification. IIRC I had to commit to something like 36 hours of on call time per month for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Khizan posted:

Some volunteer EMS organizations will cover the cost of your training if you commit to a period of time working for them. That's how I got my certification. IIRC I had to commit to something like 36 hours of on call time per month for a year.

That actually sounds very reasonable, especially for a volunteer organization.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Depending on the state it’s sometimes not even the volunteer org that’s covering it but the state DOH cuts the check, the organization just wants a commitment so you don’t just join and bounce as soon as you have a card.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Depending on the state it’s sometimes not even the volunteer org that’s covering it but the state DOH cuts the check, the organization just wants a commitment so you don’t just join and bounce as soon as you have a card.

Also interesting. Back in High School I looked into it (was totally fascinated with the whole concept) and it was WAY more money for the training than I could afford, and that was just to volunteer. Good to know there are programs out there to help train people, or at least they can now be found with internet access.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Having the state pay for EMT-B classes if you’re affiliated with somewhere is the best way to actually end up with any. For most of the people looking to do it, 900-1400 bucks is a lot of money- especially for a job that pays sweet gently caress all.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Most fire departments in my area - those who have volunteer programs - will put you through your EMT course and fire academy at no charge to you for that same type of commitment.

That’s how I got my firefighter 1, hazmat ops, and EMT. From there, as long as I was working for the department, any further classes I’ve taken have been paid for by the department as well. Instructor 1 and 2, firefighter 2, fire officer 1, etc.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I got my start because Rural/Metro in my area was so desperate for new hires that they ran a fully paid EMT-B training program. 2 months at full time, minimum wage, with a guaranteed job at the end of it. We started with 16, graduated 12, and had about 4 still working after a year.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
So I took my firefighting entry exam earlier this week - one question has me kinda conflicted. I mean, I only need a 70 to pass so it shouldn't matter. It was just a lot of phrasing designed to throw you off. For example, they gave us a formula where you solve for a variable and then multiply it with the others. I put the "right" answer down according to the equation and then realized they were just asking for a single variable of it. I didn't get to review my exam before I turned it in so that has me nervous. Everyone is telling me not to worry but I can't help but wonder if I missed something else like that. One of the questions was a simple "if you turn this cog one way how many cogs turn counter-clockwise" but it was worded in a way to where it was sort of ambiguous if you included the original cog in your count. It'll be two weeks until I find out but I'm more nervous about this than when I took my NCLEX to get my RN.

Anyways, the question was something like, "You just finished putting out a fire in a home and see a fellow fireman put $50 from a drawer into his pocket, what do you do?" (It was worded to where it wasn't clear he was stealing.)

I think I overthought it, the answers were something like:

A. (Can't remember but definitely wrong.)
B. Tell the supervisor
C. Ask him what he is doing.
D. Say nothing.

I chose C because in this scenario it didn't clearly state he was stealing so it seemed irresponsible to go over his head without confronting him first. I figured I could make a better judgment on doing B if I performed C first. It's plausible he was removing it from the scene; it's not like I know the protocols yet. The more I think about it though, the correct answer they were looking for was to tell the supervisor? If I saw someone doing something sketchy, I would ask them before reporting them because that would still allow me to tell the supervisor afterwards if they were obviously stealing. It's one of those real world vs. 'in a vacuum' questions, I guess. I feel like you should always start conflict at the lowest level then escalate as necessary. Going over someone's head and accusing them of theft to their superior seems like the second level of ethical escalation in this scenario. It was worded in such a way that I couldn't tell if it was a trick question or not.

God, it's sad how much I'm overthinking this exam. I just hate that it will be two weeks before I get the results.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

So I took my firefighting entry exam earlier this week - one question has me kinda conflicted. I mean, I only need a 70 to pass so it shouldn't matter. It was just a lot of phrasing designed to throw you off. For example, they gave us a formula where you solve for a variable and then multiply it with the others. I put the "right" answer down according to the equation and then realized they were just asking for a single variable of it. I didn't get to review my exam before I turned it in so that has me nervous. Everyone is telling me not to worry but I can't help but wonder if I missed something else like that. One of the questions was a simple "if you turn this cog one way how many cogs turn counter-clockwise" but it was worded in a way to where it was sort of ambiguous if you included the original cog in your count. It'll be two weeks until I find out but I'm more nervous about this than when I took my NCLEX to get my RN.

Anyways, the question was something like, "You just finished putting out a fire in a home and see a fellow fireman put $50 from a drawer into his pocket, what do you do?" (It was worded to where it wasn't clear he was stealing.)

B. Tell the supervisor
D. Say nothing.

I chose C because in this scenario it didn't clearly state he was stealing so it seemed irresponsible to go over his head without confronting him first. I figured I could make a better judgment on doing B if I performed C first. It's plausible he was removing it from the scene; it's not like I know the protocols yet. The more I think about it though, the correct answer they were looking for was to tell the supervisor? If I saw someone doing something sketchy, I would ask them before reporting them because that would still allow me to tell the supervisor afterwards if they were obviously stealing. It's one of those real world vs. 'in a vacuum' questions, I guess. I feel like you should always start conflict at the lowest level then escalate as necessary. Going over someone's head and accusing them of theft to their superior seems like the second level of ethical escalation in this scenario. It was worded in such a way that I couldn't tell if it was a trick question or not.

God, it's sad how much I'm overthinking this exam. I just hate that it will be two weeks before I get the results.

You chose right. You give them the benefit of the doubt and ask them what they’re doing. Then you say, “Hey, let’s make sure that money stays safe and let’s go together and take it to our supervisor.”

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

B. Tell the supervisor
D. Say nothing.

Always, always, always put the answer that does not in any way, shape or form allow your firm/company/department/boss be liable in the slightest way to receive any poo poo.

Put it this way, that test was not written by someone doing that job, it was written by some HR/lawer gonk thinking of bad publicity at the very best. Never bring the real world into theoretical questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Ended up with a 92 on the exam. I'm not sure why I was even worried; I'm pretty superstitious and would rather be anxious and happily surprised than the inverse, I guess. Already pretty conditioned for my CPAT but still going to go hard for two weeks on legs since that seems to be where I've atrophied the most during covid. I'm sincerely happy that I'll get to practice my RN and do this as well. I feel like getting my EMT-B is redundant but I'll jump through whatever hoops they ask. Both jobs pay roughly the same so it's going to be nice to have a chill job coupled with something physical. If I truly like firefighting I may just do it full time and work towards my CRNP on the side.