Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, that’s right hose jockeys, you get to be second fiddle this time. If you’re good you’ll get a crayon to snack on.

I noticed there were a ton of medical people in the Idiots thread and figured why not. Yes, there’s a thread for EMS in TGD but it’s not like there’s a thread shortage. And this one will have firefighters.

I recently wrapped up a 6 year EMS career as an EMT-B in NY- sometimes paid, sometimes volley, never paid properly. I’m gonna miss it, but not the getting woken up at three am because an old lady fell down and went boom. And it figures, went six years without a back injury and three days after I finished I got stuck in bed for two days with crippling back spasms.

Any of you guys still doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Where’s my crayon?

Also I work EMS, too! It’s just like, 80-90% of what I do. Though I also got to touch a fire the other week.

I still think I’d have rather gotten ROSC, less cleanup.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

windshipper posted:

Where’s my crayon?

Also I work EMS, too! It’s just like, 80-90% of what I do. Though I also got to touch a fire the other week.

I still think I’d have rather gotten ROSC, less cleanup.

It’s so weird to me how much the EMS side of things gets shafted in favor of the fire side of things. The 3rd service place I just left gets maybe 10 percent of its budget from the town, to the tune of a little over 100k. The fire department would revolt if they got that little even though they do maybe a tenth of the calls we did.

I never got a ROSC. All my codes were unwitnessed or otherwise futile from the get go. Best part of not transporting codes anymore is the easy cleanup, though. poo poo gets everywhere when you code someone in an ambulance.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s so weird to me how much the EMS side of things gets shafted in favor of the fire side of things. The 3rd service place I just left gets maybe 10 percent of its budget from the town, to the tune of a little over 100k. The fire department would revolt if they got that little even though they do maybe a tenth of the calls we did.

I never got a ROSC. All my codes were unwitnessed or otherwise futile from the get go. Best part of not transporting codes anymore is the easy cleanup, though. poo poo gets everywhere when you code someone in an ambulance.

Where did you work? Rural EMS? As it is, I work rural/semi-rural, and even so I get like 1/5 to 1/7 ROSC. That sucks, but each it does make cleanup easier.

And the disparity in EMS levies to Fire levies is loving huge. Fire levy in my area is around ~$1.50 per $1,000 property value compared to something piddly for EMS, along the lines of (pulling this out of my rear end) ~$0.40 per $1,000.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

windshipper posted:

Where did you work? Rural EMS? As it is, I work rural/semi-rural, and even so I get like 1/5 to 1/7 ROSC. That sucks, but each it does make cleanup easier.

And the disparity in EMS levies to Fire levies is loving huge. Fire levy in my area is around ~$1.50 per $1,000 property value compared to something piddly for EMS, along the lines of (pulling this out of my rear end) ~$0.40 per $1,000.

Started rural, ended up doing most of my time in a college town in NY. Really missed the college kids this year, they broke up a lot of the monotony by doing the dumbest poo poo in the world.

Went 0-9 on codes, but I also never had a patient die on me- if they were alive when I got there they made it to the hospital.

We don’t even have specific EMS levies here, just a line in the town budget if you’re lucky. Tons of people think their fire taxes pay for it, but they don’t. Though a lot of the time people straight up think even the third service ones are part of the fire department.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I will also say, unlike jokes about other bigger fire departments near my, I don’t pre-full in my BPs so everyone is 118/78!!!!!

Started rural, ended up doing most of my time in a college town in NY. Really missed the college kids this year, they broke up a lot of the monotony by doing the dumbest poo poo in the world.

Went 0-9 on codes, but I also never had a patient die on me- if they were alive when I got there they made it to the hospital.

We don’t even have specific EMS levies here, just a line in the town budget if you’re lucky. Tons of people think their fire taxes pay for it, but they don’t. Though a lot of the time people straight up think even the third service ones are part of the fire department.

I mean, if you’re rural I’d guess that makes a lot of codes be DOA on its own - depending on response times. That does suck though. That said, maybe it’s because the median age where I work is in the 50’s, but only 9 codes in six years - drat. That’s some white cloud poo poo there.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 21, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Totally guilty of just putting 16 in for respiratory rate on my patients that are breathing normally.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Totally guilty of just putting 16 in for respiratory rate on my patients that are breathing normally.

Who isn’t? More importantly, who cares? Read the patient, not the numbers. Numbers just help with reading the patient.

Posting before some RN gets lovely.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think everybody does this.

Also, I'm super surprised you didn't have at least one motorcycle rider die on you in the truck. I'm in a pretty rural area and "idiot didn't wear a helmet" is a frustratingly common cause of death out here.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khizan posted:

Also, I'm super surprised you didn't have at least one motorcycle rider die on you in the truck. I'm in a pretty rural area and "idiot didn't wear a helmet" is a frustratingly common cause of death out here.

I was kind of surprised it never happened just from the ten mile stretch of NYS Thruway that I covered, but never had a fatal anything out there. I think it’s from having stupid good options for LZs, anyone who was hosed up enough to die got flown, and if they flew then it was like eight minutes to a trauma center. Even then, I did like two flight jobs there in six years, compared to like four a month in my half a year or so of doing rural EMS.

I did figure if anything broke my streak it’d be a cyclist, though. The closest I had to someone dying was a bicyclist that got hit and run by a drunk driver and left in a ditch for close to an hour.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I was kind of surprised it never happened just from the ten mile stretch of NYS Thruway that I covered, but never had a fatal anything out there. I think it’s from having stupid good options for LZs, anyone who was hosed up enough to die got flown, and if they flew then it was like eight minutes to a trauma center. Even then, I did like two flight jobs there in six years, compared to like four a month in my half a year or so of doing rural EMS.

I did figure if anything broke my streak it’d be a cyclist, though. The closest I had to someone dying was a bicyclist that got hit and run by a drunk driver and left in a ditch for close to an hour.

gently caress it, let me look up a report I did a couple months ago, and I’ll get some stories going tomorrow or Friday. Obviously, a few things might be changed to protect identity and all PII removed.

Call it the few bucks you throw in the bottom of the tip jar to get people to start tipping.

Khizan posted:

To be fair, I had my first motorcyclist die on me two months ago. Got him to the LZ, had started compressions en route to LZ and his heart kicked back in, and then at the LZ he coded again.

One of my partners had his hand in the dudes ground holding his femoral the whole way there and then there again at the LZ. Combination of that and then the flight nurses starting a blood line that dripped on him when they bled out on his shoulder (covered by gown) by accident dude looked like Dexter by the end of it.

Edits due to autocorrect and phone posting

windshipper fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 22, 2020

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Hey guys, I'm currently an RN transferring from the ICU to a private clinic with 8-5 hours. My city has begun the biggest hiring class in over a decade and want to seize the opportunity to pursue the career I've always wanted. My only issue is this: I currently take diazepam PRN for muscle spasms. I've tried other medications and they haven't worked; this was literally my last resort. I would never have to use it on shift and take a very low dose at night when needed (literally 2mg-5mg, the lowest doses prescribed). Do you guys know if this will affect me in my hiring process? I want to emphasize I do not take this for anxiety and it has not affected my job as an RN. My doctor will be able to provide documentation showing this. However, having my legs spasm at night would affect my sleep pattern without it. Otherwise, I expect to do well on the written examination and am in excellent physical condition for the CPAT. Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.

edit: just realized I failed to mention this was for firefighting.

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 11, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

Hey guys, I'm currently an RN transferring from the ICU to a private clinic with 8-5 hours. My city has begun the biggest hiring class in over a decade and want to seize the opportunity to pursue the career I've always wanted. My only issue is this: I currently take diazepam PRN for muscle spasms. I've tried other medications and they haven't worked; this was literally my last resort. I would never have to use it on shift and take a very low dose at night when needed (literally 2mg-5mg, the lowest doses prescribed). Do you guys know if this will affect me in my hiring process? I want to emphasize I do not take this for anxiety and it has not affected my job as an RN. My doctor will be able to provide documentation showing this. However, having my legs spasm at night would affect my sleep pattern without it. Otherwise, I expect to do well on the written examination and am in excellent physical condition for the CPAT. Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.

It won’t gently caress you over on the drug test, if they even test for benzos the MRO report will just say “negative” since there’s a prescription. As far as medical screening I also doubt it would be an issue but I can’t 100 percent confirm that, depends on department policies and the doctor who’s running the medical screening.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
If your an rn seriously look for rn to paramedic bridge programs. They are their but rare, and literally you as an icu nurse have a ton of critical care experience which will be helpful.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

It won’t gently caress you over on the drug test, if they even test for benzos the MRO report will just say “negative” since there’s a prescription. As far as medical screening I also doubt it would be an issue but I can’t 100 percent confirm that, depends on department policies and the doctor who’s running the medical screening.

Thank you! I just don't want to be dismissed for "anxiety" when I've dealt with high stress situations in both the ER/ICU with zero issues. I've tried every other medication for my muscle spasms and low dose diazepam has been the only thing that's worked with any effectiveness. Like I said, it isn't a nightly occurrence nor would I ever consider taking any mind-altering substance while on my 24 hour shift.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

If your an rn seriously look for rn to paramedic bridge programs. They are their but rare, and literally you as an icu nurse have a ton of critical care experience which will be helpful.

I will have to get my EMT certification, which will need to be done post fire-academy. I'm almost positive a paramedic program will work as an equivalent though - I'll confirm at orientation on Wednesday. Becoming a firefighter was what I always wanted to do initially but if I can help people as a first responder in any further capacity then I'm 100% in. Thank you for the advice.

Job satisfaction is extremely important to me and I sincerely enjoy helping others in any capacity I can. I figured my experience as an RN in critical care would be beneficial as a first responder to car accidents and similar incidents. I just don't want to lose this opportunity over something as trivial as muscle spasms. I'm currently at a private endocrinology clinic and plan to continue work there during my 48 hours off.

edit: Sorry I didn't clarify that the job position I'm going for is firefighting in my initial post.

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 11, 2021

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Thank you! I just don't want to be dismissed for "anxiety" when I've dealt with high stress situations in both the ER/ICU with zero issues. I've tried every other medication for my muscle spasms and low dose diazepam has been the only thing that's worked with any effectiveness. Like I said, it isn't a nightly occurrence nor would I ever consider taking any mind-altering substance while on my 24 hour shift.

I will have to get my EMT certification, which will need to be done post fire-academy. I'm almost positive a paramedic program will work as an equivalent though - I'll confirm at orientation on Wednesday. Becoming a firefighter was what I always wanted to do initially but if I can help people as a first responder in any further capacity then I'm 100% in. Thank you for the advice.

Job satisfaction is extremely important to me and I sincerely enjoy helping others in any capacity I can. I figured my experience as an RN in critical care would be beneficial as a first responder to car accidents and similar incidents. I just don't want to lose this opportunity over something as trivial as muscle spasms. I'm currently at a private endocrinology clinic and plan to continue work there during my 48 hours off.

edit: Sorry I didn't clarify that the job position I'm going for is firefighting in my initial post.

Firefighter-Paramedic is a thing. And you will earn more money and be a bigger asset.

Source: Currently a career firefighter/EMT being put through a paramedicine program by my department and getting paid to do it.

Edit: I mean, the agency you’re going for will need to have a license to run ALS service, but... if they do, then totes be a medic-firefighter-icu nurse.

I think they issue you a halo instead of a caduceus or something for that level of life saving.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 11, 2021

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just recertified as an EMT-B. The classes at the end of the year were packed as you would imagine.

Tagnik
Nov 6, 2009
feels like Firefighting isn't a popular topic at all

but just finished medic school! time for the national! anyone got that Dr Bowers book?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tagnik posted:

It’s a text-based medium, it selects against firefighters.

And they’re all too busy putting blue lights on their personal cars to ask someone to read a message board to them.

I will never get tired of dunking on firefighters.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Well, firefighting orientation went extremely well and I got my colleague to prescribe me adderall for a previous ADHD diagnosis. I figured it can't hurt with the 24 hour shifts. I'm definitely going to look into the paramedic route as well now that I know paramedic-firefighter is definitely a thing. I feel much more comfortable now and am extremely excited to get out of the hospital and into a true first-responder role. Most firefighters don't get paid much but we start at 65k here in a state with a low cost of living. I'm not sure how much being paramedic will add to that, but job satisfaction matters more to me than anything. All the firefighting guys were really nice and seemed like genuinely cool dudes who actually want to help people; what makes you feel the need to dunk on them? I'm really excited to bring my trauma/critical care experience into the field.

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 15, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Well, firefighting orientation went extremely well and I got my colleague to prescribe me adderall for a previous ADHD diagnosis. I figured it can't hurt with the 24 hour shifts. I'm definitely going to look into the paramedic route as well now that I know paramedic-firefighter is definitely a thing. I feel much more comfortable now and am extremely excited to get out of the hospital and into a true first-responder role. Most firefighters don't get paid much but we start at 65k here in a state with a low cost of living. I'm not sure how much being paramedic will add to that, but job satisfaction matters more to me than anything. All the firefighting guys were really nice and seemed like genuinely cool dudes who actually want to help people; what makes you feel the need to dunk on them? I'm really excited to bring my trauma/critical care experience into the field.

Be aware that it is a massive bitch to get into a fire department, and the biggest issue is that many areas are volunteer, one of the dumbest things that still is considered essential in this field. Volunteering is basically a requirement to work your way into a station in the hopes of getting a full time slot. Getting your medic will let you work in EMS, and in the dreaded private ambulances where you will run joe dirtbag the stump man from dialysis to his nursing home. Also a ton of money in most fire departments is the overtime you get because you are on 24, off 48. So every other week you work 72 hours.

Fire fighters get dunked on because its big man put out fire break down wall lol. In some districts you can be a firefighter and not even have any medical training not even an EMR and CPR cert. Shits a wild west in some states and areas.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Tagnik posted:

but just finished medic school! time for the national! anyone got that Dr Bowers book?

It’s a text-based medium, it selects against firefighters.

And they’re all too busy putting blue lights on their personal cars to ask someone to read a message board to them.

I will never get tired of dunking on firefighters.

:saddowns:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I'm sorry that firefighting just requires pictures to do and be trained for. I brought some blocks you can use to make a door to break with this toy axe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It’s alright, I saw the butt of most of my firefighter jokes rip a car door off without tools and I was like “I really need to stop making fun of that kid”.

Actually we had fun. He volunteered in EMS sometimes and despite him being dumber than a box of rocks we had a fun but uneventful prank war that was mostly me setting traps with expired airway lube to slime him, or getting three people to help me musclefuck some drag dummies into his backseat.

He got me back in a fun way when he ran extension cords through the parking lot and covered my car in strobing Christmas lights.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Hey, I’m in medic school!

That said my best prank was adopting a donkey for my captain. The donkey was on a donkey rescue in Ireland and his name was Richie. He even got a hand drawn picture, a certificate, and twice yearly updates on how Richie was doing.

The best part, was he was at work when he got it, so he called his wife to tell her. His kids happened to overhear, and thought they were actually getting a donkey. Poor bastard had to explain to them they weren’t actually getting a donkey.

I waited about 4 months afterwards, and then got some of those little bitty rubber cast donkey toys and started hiding them in his gear, his bedding, his locker, leaving some out on the kitchen table. I even gave a couple to some coworkers for them to leave and hide for him in places.

After about a year i fessed up to him it was me.

Also you can dunk on me all you want... I’ll take good pay, great bennies, and a functional union. 😘

Edit: Fwiw, my department is also the EMS for our district too, so...

windshipper fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 16, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

windshipper posted:

Also you can dunk on me all you want... I’ll take good pay, great bennies, and a functional union. 😘

Edit: Fwiw, my department is also the EMS for our district too, so...

I spent so much time trying to unionize EMS near me and got nowhere. Switching to occ health and EHS was the best thing I ever did but every EMT I know is target fixated on being an RN.

I do miss having fun rivalries though.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I spent so much time trying to unionize EMS near me and got nowhere. Switching to occ health and EHS was the best thing I ever did but every EMT I know is target fixated on being an RN.

I do miss having fun rivalries though.

My wife is an RN. I don’t know why anyone would want to be one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

windshipper posted:

My wife is an RN. I don’t know why anyone would want to be one.

Getting your OHN and doing construction stuff is the way to go. Easy work and insane pay. If you’re up for traveling and long hours of reading the internet on your phone you can make 200+k working for Bechtel, easy.

But all of em think they want to be ER or cardiac nurses and make their life about it instead of having some kind of non medical hobbies and taking some time off.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I literally bought one of my friends his OSHA 30 class as a graduation gift because he got his medic and was like “I don’t think I like going into a hospital”

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Getting your OHN and doing construction stuff is the way to go. Easy work and insane pay. If you’re up for traveling and long hours of reading the internet on your phone you can make 200+k working for Bechtel, easy.

But all of em think they want to be ER or cardiac nurses and make their life about it instead of having some kind of non medical hobbies and taking some time off.

Yeah, she works at one of the ten busiest ERs in the country. Massive respect, but man... I’m good with dropping them off and driving away.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

windshipper posted:

Yeah, she works at one of the ten busiest ERs in the country. Massive respect, but man... I’m good with dropping them off and driving away.

It’s what I loved about EMS. I never took my work home with me. When the paperwork was done, bam, nothing else to be done

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m doing my first ambulance shift since October because I’m a dumbass who can’t stay away from EMS and my new schedule gives me some extra time off. One day I will actually leave EMS and stay gone.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Yeah, firefighters in my hometown get paid garbage whereas the much bigger town I currently live in get paid ~$60k median. They just built a new multimillion dollar training facility that we'll be the first class to go through as well. I don't know, maybe I'm being naive, but I can't wait to get the gently caress out of the ICU and do this instead.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Yeah, firefighters in my hometown get paid garbage whereas the much bigger town I currently live in get paid ~$60k median. They just built a new multimillion dollar training facility that we'll be the first class to go through as well. I don't know, maybe I'm being naive, but I can't wait to get the gently caress out of the ICU and do this instead.

Shitload more fun, a lot harder on your body. Be well and fit. Even if everyone around you is trash, the leading cause of death in firefighters is cardiac arrest. Also, look into Healthy In, Healthy Out. Having smoke stained gear, unwashed, and not wearing your PPE is loving dumb, even if it makes you look cool.

It’s all carcinogens.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I really liked B EMT classes out of highschool Trauma was my favorite. Sick patients who actually made me think started to intrigue me and I almost went into becoming a flight nurse. I always liked the the Paramedics who did the stay and play. As a Basic I was a Load N GO!

Get the training regardless it pays off I am a fat gently caress 20 years later but I can stuff a wound with on the side of the Interstate with quick clot.

Stuff bleeds Pack bleeds Call 911

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Being a flight nurse would be cool but I’m just so burned out after doing repetitive med surg nursing for the military this year that I’m going into a junior software developer the moment my contract is up in a couple months. I’ll be making the same pay for less hours touching computers from home.

Pretty hosed up country lol.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

stinkypete posted:

I really liked B EMT classes out of highschool Trauma was my favorite. Sick patients who actually made me think started to intrigue me and I almost went into becoming a flight nurse. I always liked the the Paramedics who did the stay and play. As a Basic I was a Load N GO!

Get the training regardless it pays off I am a fat gently caress 20 years later but I can stuff a wound with on the side of the Interstate with quick clot.

Stuff bleeds Pack bleeds Call 911

The technical term is, “Put the white stuff on the red stuff.”

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Out of curiosity, how much does training for EMT (or higher) cost in the real world? I never bothered to look it up, but have a feeling that whatever number I find will be on the low side after random costs add up.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
A community college near me is running a summer class, just under $1,400 for tuition, lab fees and books and materials are additional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Syrian Lannister posted:

A community college near me is running a summer class, just under $1,400 for tuition, lab fees and books and materials are additional.

Oh, I was thinking it would be much more. It's interesting to see/hear about what other fields require as the "initial investment" for a career.