Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Cabbages and Kings posted:

it's 2020 so I'm not saying anything is impossible, but there isn't enough LSD in Vermont to make me think this is a thing that will happen

6-3 or not the supreme court is not going to just void an election based on total bullshit, :toxx: (I guess I already toxx'd on biden so I will be double banned if wrong)

Oh I completely agree, I didn't mean to imply there was anything other than a snowball's chance in hell of it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DandyLion posted:

Except their intent is to get to that point, and then have the SC just declare that in lieu of normal elections the incumbent retains office.

That would be so much worse than the Bush v Gore ruling, that there would be an unresolvable constitutional crisis. The SCOTUS is unlikely to end the USA to prop Trump up.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

DandyLion posted:

Except their intent is to get to that point, and then have the SC just declare that in lieu of normal elections the incumbent retains office.

This isn't really the intent of anyone, it is the fever dream of Trump. The GOP is going through the motions because they don't want to anger Trump, but they would prefer he just concede. He can't get skilled conservative lawyers to waste their time on Trump's tantrum, and so he's stuck with untalented dregs cashing a check.

At some point, if Trump hasn't calmed down and realized he's only damaging himself, then they will move on after his cases have all been dismissed.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DandyLion posted:

Its only a matter of time before the argument shifts to, "Democrat votes are invalid because Democrats are traitors and enemies of the state shouldn't be allowed to vote".

Literally an argument that was used in 1876.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rigel posted:

This isn't really the intent of anyone, it is the fever dream of Trump. The GOP is going through the motions because they don't want to anger Trump, but they would prefer he just concede. He can't get skilled conservative lawyers to waste their time on Trump's tantrum, and so he's stuck with untalented dregs cashing a check.

At some point, if Trump hasn't calmed down and realized he's only damaging himself, then they will move on after his cases have all been dismissed.

Correction: Trump's checks bonuce so no one is cashing checks.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, that's premature. They might try to greenlight something for 2024, but given the lead actor's health and legal issues, I suspect they'd have to re-cast the main role.

The only Trump child who could potentially pull off a 2024 win is Ivanka. Jr and Eric are too stupid but she has her father’s instinctual cruelty and grifter cunning. But A) she is a woman and B) she is married to Kushner which means Trump’s base wouldn’t consolidate around her like they did Trump

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

nate fisher posted:

I keep seeing Trumpers talking about Trump is going to make sure some states (enough to make a difference) miss the 12/08 deadline which will ensure no one has enough EVs. Than it would be handled like a tie. Is this even possible?

Missing the deadline only means congress can question and throw out slates of electors if they choose to do so. They could do that anyway, but they set the 12/8 deadline as a pinky-swear promise that they won't if states meet that deadline.

The Democrats still control the house. If slates of electors end up being a little late due to shenanigans, the GOP still doesn't have the votes to challenge or reject anything.

edit: to make that point even clearer, when a state certifies their electors and those electors then vote, the default presumption under the law is that those votes are valid and must count. The congress can only reject an elector's vote if both houses of congress vote to do so. If both houses fail to agree to throw out one or more electoral votes, then those votes by default do count. The GOP does not have the house. They are unable to "one weird trick" Trump into a 2nd term.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 10, 2020

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Fart Amplifier posted:

That would be so much worse than the Bush v Gore ruling, that there would be an unresolvable constitutional crisis. The SCOTUS is unlikely to end the USA to prop Trump up.

I'm 100% convinced that Trump thinks that SCOTUS is in his pocket, though. He probably thinks that his three appointees will automatically vote in his favor, because he views everything as transactional and they "owe" him.

That's where the desperation is coming from; Trump thinks that if he can just get something before the SC, they'll scratch his back like he scratched theirs. His legal challenges are just failing to get ANY traction, so people are starting to rant about rigged antifa supercomputers and poo poo.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Deteriorata posted:

No. The whole basis of the Bush v. Gore case was that the deadline was looming and a decision had to be made. If there is any case still pending at the SC by then they'll use the same argument.

Don't listen to Trumpers because everything they spout is bullshit fanfiction.
Also I'm pretty sure the winner of the election is the person who gets the most EVs. It doesn't actually have to be a majority; it only goes to the House if there is a literal tie. Otherwise a lot more elections would have gone to the House in ye olden days when third parties who could get EVs were actually a thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Trumpers are literally praying to God to get Trump elected.

We in the election biz called that "being totally loving owned in every sense of the word."

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The only Trump child who could potentially pull off a 2024 win is Ivanka. Jr and Eric are too stupid but she has her father’s instinctual cruelty and grifter cunning. But A) she is a woman and B) she is married to Kushner which means Trump’s base wouldn’t consolidate around her like they did Trump

Also the whole converted-to-Judaism thing won't go over well with Qanon (who by 2024 will grow to include most of the Republican voter base).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I'm 100% convinced that Trump thinks that SCOTUS is in his pocket, though. He probably thinks that his three appointees will automatically vote in his favor, because he views everything as transactional and they "owe" him.

That's where the desperation is coming from; Trump thinks that if he can just get something before the SC, they'll scratch his back like he scratched theirs. His legal challenges are just failing to get ANY traction, so people are starting to rant about rigged antifa supercomputers and poo poo.

His appointees are already saying that they don't think they should throw out the whole ACA before its Republican's job to make legislative action. They aren't interested in making Trump God Emperor For Life.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1326225961738772491

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1326225961738772491 these guys are just loving shameless.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Trumpers are literally praying to God to get Trump elected.

We in the election biz called that "being totally loving owned in every sense of the word."

I’m enjoying your face turn in this thread.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
At this point, should I be worried that Trump may still be president after January 21, given how much the GOP and Trump's administration wants to call the election fradulent?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

This alarms me. Maybe I should take a break from USPOL for a week? I literally don't know how

edit: in context it does look like this was not a serious comment, but ffs it's impossible to tell up from down right now with the amount of crazy poo poo being suggested

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 10, 2020

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
This was intended as a joke, but it's probably bad when everyone listening thinks you are serious

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1326227756263280641

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

How are u posted:

Yeah, I said "we've known it in the abstract forever". Bush era was 20 years ago, I remember. The Republican party got much worse after Obama was elected.

Did they? I mean they got louder and more shamelessly evil but also less organized and more chaotic. W straight up lied his way into the iraq war with the media and almost all the democrats cheering him on. Trump could never have pulled that off in a million years. His legacy will be his court appointments, which fell in his lap from heaven like everything else.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I just can't understand how people in this thread can see stuff like this and think, "Man trump is really just trying to get some red meat for his merch to sell after he leaves office"

This IS a coup attempt.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the winner of the election is the person who gets the most EVs. It doesn't actually have to be a majority; it only goes to the House if there is a literal tie. Otherwise a lot more elections would have gone to the House in ye olden days when third parties who could get EVs were actually a thing.

quote:

The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed

https://www.senate.gov/civics/constitution_item/constitution.htm

If a State fails to appoint electors though that would presumably reduce the total.

Either way if it gets to that point we're functionally experiencing a coup.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

gvibes posted:

This was intended as a joke, but it's probably bad when everyone listening thinks you are serious

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1326227756263280641

This suddenly hits me as to how bad twitter is. This is Pompeo going "ha ha, Trump might win you know? But there's a process and we're following it. Don't worry." He's not defiant here. Yet I took it like Pompeo digging in his heels and saying that there's not going to be a transition, because all I heard was the inflammatory line.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

@jack waiting for Trump to get out of office is pretty silly when he keeps slapping notices on every single tweet he's made for a week now, and still allows Trump's chud bots to get their message across. This combined with a pretty cretinous administration effort to muddy people's perceptions should warrant some kind of escalated action from social media, but I do not see this as likely before January.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 10, 2020

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Grondoth posted:

This suddenly hits me as to how bad twitter is. This is Pompeo going "ha ha, Trump might win you know? But there's a process and we're following it. Don't worry." He's not defiant here.

to what extent is it twitter being bad, and to what extent is it Pompeo knowing exactly what he's doing? the quote in context looks harmless if in poor taste, but to a Qhead it sends a different message entirely. is that an emergent property of the internet, or something pompeo is setting up?

edit: from below, I agree with Rigel's take, probably

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just can't understand how people in this thread can see stuff like this and think, "Man trump is really just trying to get some red meat for his merch to sell after he leaves office"

This IS a coup attempt.

watch the whole ~45 seconds

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 10, 2020

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

This IS a coup attempt.

It is not. It is pretty obvious that it was a lame attempt at a joke that fell flat because his audience was extremely serious.

His boss is having an explosive humiliating temper tantrum, and if he publicly says that his boss lost, then his life immediately becomes a horrible living hell with the CHUD army focusing their fire on him. There's no need for him to jump on that grenade.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Have scientist developed the cannon that fires people directly into the sun yet?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Cabbages and Kings posted:

but there isn't enough LSD in Vermont

Isn't Phish from Vermont?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nitrousoxide posted:

This IS a coup attempt.

because the actual video shows it's clearly just a really stupid and tone deaf joke told by an idiot toadie to a crowd of actual serious people to avoid actually answering a question? Because twitter posting quotes mindlessly isn't journalism and just being a loving stenographer????

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

ummel posted:

Isn't Phish from Vermont?

that's the joke. the carpentry team that we had up here doing totally normal (and very solid!) work were randomly talking about wide availability of vials of liquid acid at one point. it's endemic.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

My favorite handsome Youtube lawyer has a new video discussing the current campaign lawsuits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7iWECm_8E

tl;dw what Trump is claiming in the media/on twitter is very different from what his lawyers are saying in court, and what they're saying in court isn't getting them anywhere.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I don't think people get that this "ooo trump will stay in power" boogeyman is jumping the networks ratings and viewerships. They will milk this he's not gonna leave poo poo till Jan 19th

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Rigel posted:

It is not. It is pretty obvious that it was a lame attempt at a joke that fell flat because his audience was extremely serious.

His boss is having an explosive humiliating temper tantrum, and if he publicly says that his boss lost, then his life immediately becomes a horrible living hell with the CHUD army focusing their fire on him. There's no need for him to jump on that grenade.

Sorry, you don't get to joke about the fascism that your boss is doing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I don't think people get that this "ooo trump will stay in power" boogeyman is jumping the networks ratings and viewerships. They will milk this he's not gonna leave poo poo till Jan 19th

I mean this is the natural end point of calling everything Trump does 'fascist', you can't laugh at how stupid this is, you in fact have to treat it as serious and scary like any day fuckin Jared will lead the loyalist soldiers into the white house to secure the capital. That fear is what they've been cultivating for years and now it's paying off gangbusters because we all knew Trump wouldn't leave without a tantrum, he told us so himself.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

To be fair, so far most outlets have avoided direct reporting that might legitimize it and are handling it as "Trump allies do stupid poo poo on the way out."

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Youth Decay posted:

Literally an argument that was used in 1876.

I suppose it should bring a bit of comfort that we've been here before. But I've only got one life, and I don't want to waste the next 20 years of it dealing with the fallout from this bullshit.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Youth Decay posted:

My favorite handsome Youtube lawyer has a new video discussing the current campaign lawsuits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7iWECm_8E

tl;dw what Trump is claiming in the media/on twitter is very different from what his lawyers are saying in court, and what they're saying in court isn't getting them anywhere.
Came here to post this; this is an extremely good watch.

A gentle reminder that you can file a lawsuit for literally any reason you want. Trump's lawyers are throwing lots of stuff at the wall (from "poll watchers were 20 feet away rather than 15" to "vOtInG bY mAiL iS uCoNsTiTuTiOnAl") and hoping that something sticks

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
“A lawsuit without provable facts showing a statutory or constitutional violation is just a tweet with a filing fee.” --@_justinlevitt_

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

This IS a coup attempt.

There is an attempt to subvert the electoral process. It's clumsy, half-assed, and totally incompetent. So until it gets any response beyond being laughed out of court, it's not worth giving concern to. We've known this was coming for months, the ourage is done.

Pompeo making a "just kidding... unless you're good with it *wink* *wink*" joke doesn't even matter. It tells me Pompeo is a shithead who should never have power, which I already knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
All right, folks, since the bulk of this election is over, we're gonna close this thread. Take your discussions to USPOL or whichever thread you feel is the most appropriate!

Thanks for making this an easy-to-moderate liveposting thread! It's been a truly surreal week.