Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

rotor posted:

its surprising how difficult it is to find a decent HMD that takes HDMI input

if i could get an HMD that wasn't hideously expensive or otherwise hosed up (extra-super-impossible bonus points if it was a wacky monocular thing) i would absolutely build my own deck

it would be incredibly dorky and pointless and i wouldn't give a drat :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

SO DEMANDING posted:

if i could get an HMD that wasn't hideously expensive or otherwise hosed up (extra-super-impossible bonus points if it was a wacky monocular thing) i would absolutely build my own deck

it would be incredibly dorky and pointless and i wouldn't give a drat :c00l:

every time i think of HMDs i think of ur av

so there's this

https://www.amazon.com/Vufine-006011-Wearable-Display/dp/B01MZ89QXF/

but the comments say eight inch wide display at 2 feet and that's small but its the closest thing to the old timey cool monocular things i've seen lately

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

rotor posted:

its surprising how difficult it is to find a decent HMD that takes HDMI input

i hadn't considered this possibility but now i'm back on board

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i am legit excited for the eventual hmds that just look like glasses

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

i am legit excited for the eventual hmds that just look like glasses

its weird because i've been watching this field for 20+ years and there's not really a lot of progress. FPV drones have driven down the cost of immersive VR poo poo like this but the little clip on thing i linked above is significantly trashier than the clip on thing i used in 1998. I mean it's a sixth of the price but drat, 20 years.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

not even a sixth, i remember that old one costing under but close to $1k, this new thing is like 1/5-1/4 the price. And there's not gonna be any support when the plastic bits break.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

its weird because i've been watching this field for 20+ years and there's not really a lot of progress. FPV drones have driven down the cost of immersive VR poo poo like this but the little clip on thing i linked above is significantly trashier than the clip on thing i used in 1998. I mean it's a sixth of the price but drat, 20 years.

i think it's just been impossible for the most part until relatively recently to even think about launching a successful product. like it requires so many chips that sip power, compact display technologies, advanced wireless communication, etc., etc. i'm sure the actual ux will be terrible but the vuzix stuff shown off at the virtual ces is a good example of where things are starting to trend. i am pretty hopeful for apple to push an iphone moment into the arena.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

i think it's just been impossible for the most part until relatively recently to even think about launching a successful product. like it requires so many chips that sip power, compact display technologies, advanced wireless communication, etc., etc. i'm sure the actual ux will be terrible but the vuzix stuff shown off at the virtual ces is a good example of where things are starting to trend. i am pretty hopeful for apple to push an iphone moment into the arena.

naw, like i said, i was using one in 98

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like i cant even get a decent wired one

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the vuzix stuff is niche industry and costs thousands of dollars, i'm talkin about consumer market

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah I was looking up the specs for the new DJI FPV Goggles V2, surely they must have put a HDMI in on this time! nope, you can do video OUT via the USB-C port, but still no digital signal in.

IDK, maybe they tech is flexible enough to do video IN on the USB-C if there's enough demand.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hahaha those things look hilarious

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you get spotty signal on an fpv drone you can crash while simultaneously getting violently ill so they're just like MORE ANTENNAS

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

naw, like i said, i was using one in 98

you were not using one in 1998 that normal people on the street today wouldn't realize aren't normal glasses, which is what i'm talking about

rotor posted:

the vuzix stuff is niche industry and costs thousands of dollars, i'm talkin about consumer market

what no

their blade poo poo starts at $800 which is not the worst. they have a pair launching this year that is going to be more consumer focused but all this poo poo is still expensive enough that industry will be a primary driver.

north had a pretty limited version of their own which was still too expensive and limited to be successful, but people at least seemed to enjoy them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

rotor posted:

hahaha those things look hilarious

finally i can get sweet drone footage of myself cosplaying the gargoyle from snow crash

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

you were not using one in 1998 that normal people on the street today wouldn't realize aren't normal glasses, which is what i'm talking about

oh i see, yeah you're right.

quote:

what no

their blade poo poo starts at $800 which is not the worst. they have a pair launching this year that is going to be more consumer focused but all this poo poo is still expensive enough that industry will be a primary driver.

north had a pretty limited version of their own which was still too expensive and limited to be successful, but people at least seemed to enjoy them.

oooo ok i didn't see the blade thing. That's neat. Its not really what i'm looking for because it's not like a display, but a phone wedged into glasses, but it's definitely cool.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i feel like sony’s hmz series was pretty cool but again too expensive and niche for most people to be interested in it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

how big is the display? Have you used one?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

how big is the display? Have you used one?

pretty sure i tried one years ago at ces. they’re discontinued now but i’m sure you could find used ones. when you say size of display do you mean actual or experiential?

the downside is that i don’t think they ever moved past 720p oleds so the most recent vr headsets are probably more capable of fidelity even if they’re none of them really portable outside of the quest line and that’s pretty iffy bc fb.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i meant the vuzix ones

edit: and experiential

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

i meant the vuzix ones

edit: and experiential

ah no i have not. and the newest ones haven’t even gone out to press yet

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

rotor posted:

every time i think of HMDs i think of ur av

so there's this

https://www.amazon.com/Vufine-006011-Wearable-Display/dp/B01MZ89QXF/

but the comments say eight inch wide display at 2 feet and that's small but its the closest thing to the old timey cool monocular things i've seen lately

Sony Glasstron :cool: got it from either the pics thread or one of the cyberpunk threads.

And oof yeah 8" at 2 feet doesn't sound particularly pleasant. $180 for that is likely about as cheap as these things will get for a totally frivolous idiot nerd project.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:allears:

i wanted one so bad

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bulgakov posted:

not to self-dox too hard but here is NMN and me about to go out on the town, hacking all the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-c9S3cdAe0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah eyestrain is a really common objection and is a reason teh monoculars are a better idea for AR