Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i have not been excited for a computer in a long time

it’s simple computer-inside-the-keyboard which gives me nostalgia of 80’s computers like this (except that in never owned one)

it has a port for controlling electronics like lights, motors and stuff

only $100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1E5xszQqV8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
got my preorder in yep yep. will be a fun thing to mess with!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
remember when the commodore came back as a pc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is the operating system a piece of poo poo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I have absolutely no need for this. But I want it and it's very cute :3:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

echinopsis posted:

is the operating system a piece of poo poo

you get get ubuntu on it

Silver Alicorn posted:

remember when the commodore came back as a pc

yeah i was thinking about that. now i'm glad i didn't get that big clunky thing

Jonny 290 posted:

noice!

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, I like that they've kept the GPIO pins, hopefully things like this become the swiss army knife of computing for the 2020's.

The next thing we need is a trivial way to use your phone as a console for an RPi or something. Like, a little box that plugs into USB and HDMI and then connects you up.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Tom Collins posted:

Yeah, I like that they've kept the GPIO pins, hopefully things like this become the swiss army knife of computing for the 2020's.

The next thing we need is a trivial way to use your phone as a console for an RPi or something. Like, a little box that plugs into USB and HDMI and then connects you up.

those pins will probably only be included on hobbyist/development computers. you can always get something external for other computers

they've had the terminal on a phone for a long time: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.realvnc.viewer.android

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Good Sphere posted:

those pins will probably only be included on hobbyist/development computers. you can always get something external for other computers

they've had the terminal on a phone for a long time: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.realvnc.viewer.android

yeah but with that you already have to have gotten access to a machine and set up a VNC sesh on it, at which point the product I use is no longer needed, but something has to get you to that point. i'm thinking about field use - would also be good on all kinds of servers

(for cloud kiddies, servers are actual big computers that grown ups know how to plug in so your cummie videos can be yeeted across the 5G)

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

yospos bithc

i cant get it to work tho lol !!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

yospos bithc

send it to me and i'll make a bong out of it

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
I've got one coming too. It'll be my first hobby computer. I've wanted to get something like an Arduino, but the form factor and interface have chased me off. This is much more up my alley.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my threadripper would wax that piece of poo poo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hifi posted:

my threadripper would wax that piece of poo poo.

photoshop successfully resized to this, but threw "An unknown error occurred" halfway through the PNG export. Looks like i won't get to troll anybody with inlined images today.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i was worried that it was only going to come in that deviant-rear end isotrash layout, but it looks like they do offer it in something more normal

maybe ill have to get one after all. who doesnt want a cyberdeck

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
no nub? it should have a nub pointer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell yeah

also, you got the full kit so a+ for that, but if this is anybody's first foray into raspberry pi's, my two suggestions:

* use a good high quality high speed SD card for it
* use a REALLY good expensive usb power adapter for it

I won't run pis on anything but full 2.1 amp hoss mode well built wall warts. you're not going to get any joy plugging it into a 500 mA PC port or whatever, as soon as the cpu gets taxed, the bus voltage is gonna drop to 4.7V due to current draw and its gonna reboot

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
that keyboard has more USB ports than a macbook lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
man this is gonna be a super good retropi setup so i can play my stupid rear end chrono trigger and ff3 games

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ff3 is better with a keyboard because you can nail sabin's specials every time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha hax

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

good poo poo op will it make the grass grow better though?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

good poo poo op will it make the grass grow better though?

only a farmer would care about this, and wellllll

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

frickin love grass growth

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

yospos bithc

what do you mean you can’t get it work? could it be a bad power cable you’re trying to connect to it?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Good Sphere posted:

what do you mean you can’t get it work? could it be a bad power cable you’re trying to connect to it?

i posted in a gray forum about it

i'm mainly trying to use the official rpi4 usb-c power supply that works fine with my pi 4. i tried raspbian / rpi os or whatever, and i also tried ubuntu which explicitly lists 400 support.

also i should mention that yes i am trying the power button

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i got a raspberry pi 400 and it doesnt loving work, lol

When I try to boot RPI OS the led comes on, blinks really quickly and then stays on for a few seconds, and goes off. Nothing else happens, and there's no video output. Even if I take the SD card and everything else out, it does the same thing, 1 quick blink and then on for a few seconds before going off.

I tried putting the EEPROM on a card and doing that and then the LED does 2 long flashes and 4 short which apparently means "File signature/hash mismatch" and the HDMI output will either be a screen with red columns or a full red screen, but that's the only video output I can get.

I can't get any messages over UART either, but it seems like the OS has to start booting for the messages to start so idk if i'm supposed to be getting any anyway.

I got the latest boot files from the github, tried different SD cards, different power supplies, etc but nothing works and this things hosed

anyone have any ideas as to what I should do here or is it just "get a replacement lol"

edit - a troubleshooting guide on the rpi forums led me to think it's the eeprom but i couldn't get flashing that to work. the eeprom files have a file for the pi and another file for the USB controller, and further reading shows that the USB firmware is now part of the SOC eeprom and not seperate so idk if i have the right files for the 400

Samuel L. ACKSYN fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 11, 2020

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
What a piece of poo poo, no thanks. The only thing that raspberry pi has done cool for me is emulate Dreamcast and PS1 games very decently, but you need a good heat sink for that.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i posted in a gray forum about it

i'm mainly trying to use the official rpi4 usb-c power supply that works fine with my pi 4. i tried raspbian / rpi os or whatever, and i also tried ubuntu which explicitly lists 400 support.

also i should mention that yes i am trying the power button

edit - a troubleshooting guide on the rpi forums led me to think it's the eeprom but i couldn't get flashing that to work. the eeprom files have a file for the pi and another file for the USB controller, and further reading shows that the USB firmware is now part of the SOC eeprom and not seperate so idk if i have the right files for the 400

yeah i'd definitely return it. should just work out of the box, and you shouldn't have to deal with that nonsense

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Good Sphere posted:

yeah i'd definitely return it. should just work out of the box, and you shouldn't have to deal with that nonsense

/buys a linux

"you shouldn't have to deal with nonsense"

lol

Tom Collins posted:

Nah, this is next-level Das Keyboarding oh you have blank keycaps, I code without a screen :smug:

srs though if you could run this into a good-res VR set like the Quest2 (but not Facebook) there's the most futurehacker setup ever.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 12, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Nah, this is next-level Das Keyboarding oh you have blank keycaps, I code without a screen :smug:

srs though if you could run this into a good-res VR set like the Quest2 (but not Facebook) there's the most futurehacker setup ever.

there's gotta be a group of nerds swearing by line editors on teletype in 2020

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"you can really feel the warmer output"

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

so the serial to usb adapter i was using had the pinout silk screened on the PCB, but then had a pin header blocking part of the silk screen, so I could barely read which pin was RX and TX, and it turned out i reversed them, which is why i couldn't get UART output.

wrt my 400, my conclusion was that i was having an EEPROM issue. the 400 and the Rpi4 use the same eeprom file, so if i was able to flash it i guess i'd be fine, but i was getting the mismatch error. turns out there's apparently a rare issue where the recovery routine can't read the SD card properly, but the sd will work fine in normal boot modes, so gently caress me i guess

theres a way to externally recover the eeprom over usb, but you first have to force the cpu to drop into the usb recovery mode by preventing it from properly communicating with the eeprom, theres ways to do that but i couldnt get them to work so it's gone back

and i got a new one and it works fine and now i have a working raspberry pi 400. thanks for following along with my idiocy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

there's gotta be a group of nerds swearing by line editors on teletype in 2020

hilariously given the fact that the internet ityool 2020 is falling the gently caress apart, mosh + vim is the most robust counter to lovely internet tubes when you're trying to get fiddly with anything on a remote console. we're back in '73 all over again

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

hilariously given the fact that the internet ityool 2020 is falling the gently caress apart,

yo i want to hear more about this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok here goes

the entire loving world is on a zoom all day and sucking up a few megabits where they previously were not. residential ISPs were oversubscribed years ago and this is stressing them to their breaking point.

the big backbones are doing all right but its the last mile that is absolutely fragging out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also turns out making every home internet connection a 10:1 to 20:1 asymmetric pipe isn't super usable right now. who cares if you have a hundred megabits down if you have six up (my personal situation)

they thought we would just happily Consume Content from Upstream like pigs, but turns out we all need to Generate Content in the form of our smiling faces on a video chat now.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if only there were some sort of overarching organization who could dictate how infrastructure could be setup to better serve the populace

would be nice but is only a dream

pi is stored in the keyboard

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

also turns out making every home internet connection a 10:1 to 20:1 asymmetric pipe isn't super usable right now. who cares if you have a hundred megabits down if you have six up (my personal situation)

they thought we would just happily Consume Content from Upstream like pigs, but turns out we all need to Generate Content in the form of our smiling faces on a video chat now.

that sucks big time. i was lucky enough to get fiber to my apartment back when verizon was the ILEC and building out their fiber network. the frontier years got kind of dire towards the end with intermittent service outages (i think some of their routing infrastructure was failing) but since they bugged out i think ziply's actually putting a little money into the network again. i'd rather have 25/25 than 100/6. (although i've got better than 25/25 r/n)

lol i remember when some comcast dude came by going door to door a few years ago and while i didn't mention :files: i did basically say i needed good upstream bandwidth and he basically immediately folded saying "oh yeah you're better off with vz/frontier then, have a nice day!"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
things i do not value at more than like 60 a month:

gigabit download (really only 700mbps max, if you hit a cdn datacenter) with 10mbps upload and it goes down three times a day
100mbps down / 6mbps up and i have to reset my modem every morning at 10:10 AM when my first zoom of the day starts and so does everybody else's and their RF bukkake warehouse can't keep my channels clean

things i would pay $100 a month for:

20/20 guaranteed to a backbone and it goes down less than once a month
10/10 with jitter and ping time SLAs

like give me just a good cable modem from 2003 before everybody and their mother was watching netflix 24/7 on a cable modem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
Love Raspi Poo's but OP had me excited like it was gonna look cool like a TRS 80 or something. But it just looks like a mac keyboard or something. meh