Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Yeah sounds good to me. I'll make it. I think Virtual Tabletop, Roll 20 , Fantasy grounds are the ones I can think of

Owlbear Rodeo
https://www.owlbear.rodeo/

Kenku FM may also be a good addition.

https://www.kenku.fm/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Kenku FM definitely deserves mention, yeah. I started using it a couple months ago based on recommendations from around here, and it's held up very well. I wish the interface was closer to Windows Explorer - it feels very "mobile design" in a lot of ways, unfortunately - but it's still doing the job quite well.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I coulda sworn there already was a VTT thread, but it could just be the gin talking.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Okay so Foundry , Owlbear Rodeo, Roll 20 , Fantasy Grounds

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hollismason posted:

Okay so Foundry , Owlbear Rodeo, Roll 20 , Fantasy Grounds

For what system?

Having tried Foundry, Roll20, and Fantasy Grounds over the years Foundry is better at almost everything, but I mostly play systems that have pretty decent module support (D&D 4E, LANCER, etc.) and benefit a great deal from automation and all the bells and whistles.

Conversely if I just needed a dice roller and a way to get everyone on the same page quickly, I'd probably go back to Roll20 or check out Owlbear.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For what system?

Having tried Foundry, Roll20, and Fantasy Grounds over the years Foundry is better at almost everything, but I mostly play systems that have pretty decent module support (D&D 4E, LANCER, etc.) and benefit a great deal from automation and all the bells and whistles.

Conversely if I just needed a dice roller and a way to get everyone on the same page quickly, I'd probably go back to Roll20 or check out Owlbear.

Yeah I am not super familiar with Foundry. I'll add to the op as I get used it to. I use roll20.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
I’ll also add Alchemy and Role to the list.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Feel free to post in the thread! I'm just now restarting Roll20 after about 4 to 5 years of not using it and everything is new and different.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I use Alchemy a bit

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there anything to the idea that, just like we don't need one universal RPG system to represent every kind of game, we also don't need one VTT?

I ask this because my only experience with VTTs is roll20, and because our GM that's into VTTs uses it exclusively and would neve, ever, escape the sunk costs of tokens and whatever other assets he's created, not to mention the experience and knowledge of the program.

It sounds similar to someone that wants to use one system for every game they run, but another part of me says that actually it's quite different and it's fine to do this, just like it's fine to only have discord for your VoIP needs regardless of what you're discussing or doing in the channel.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'll add Alchemy and role

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there anything to the idea that, just like we don't need one universal RPG system to represent every kind of game, we also don't need one VTT?

I ask this because my only experience with VTTs is roll20, and because our GM that's into VTTs uses it exclusively and would neve, ever, escape the sunk costs of tokens and whatever other assets he's created, not to mention the experience and knowledge of the program.

It sounds similar to someone that wants to use one system for every game they run, but another part of me says that actually it's quite different and it's fine to do this, just like it's fine to only have discord for your VoIP needs regardless of what you're discussing or doing in the channel.

This sounds like an excellent question to kick off discussion in the new thread.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Sunk cost is real for Vtt. I mean I've spent like several hundred dollars and I know thay I've had to buy the same product twice.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

DalaranJ posted:

This sounds like an excellent question to kick off discussion in the new thread.

:( I can't make the VTT thread because I didn't much enjoy the campaigns I played in or ran using a VTT; I'd be a terrible thread maker for it. I don't at all begrudge anyone who uses it, and my opinion would certainly change if I had to run remote games, but as it stands I'm just a semi disinterested outsider to VTTs. But I'll repost it there when the thread opens, absolutely.

Edit - Oh! I didn't see that thread is up. Right, sorry.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
tbh i would use one VTT for everything, and it would be Foundry, if Foundry weren't inexplicably missing a couple of really basic features (corner-to-corner ruler snapping, drag-and-drop token management without having to fuss with file structures, easy control over token/sprite layering) that its free competitors do just fine

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
As a GURPS enjoyer, Foundry is basically the only good VTT for it. If I was all in on Traveller i'd be using Fantasy Grounds, but the problem with FG is all the Traveller content comes with a book so they price it all like you're buying the PDF book but if you already have it it's a brutal pill to swallow to pay a lot of money to get everything baked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

theironjef posted:

When I was a kid a DM of a game I was in didn't like how quickly a fight went against a boss of his so he had the boss use his turn to take out a wand he was carrying and snap it in half. He was just starting to destroy loot because the DM was mad, it was a weird moment. Didn't even feel too out of character, like that particular warlord of the ogre clans just knew his number was up and he might as well spite his killers by pissing on his treasure before he went, but it was still pretty obvious what was going on.

Pages back, but I can't stop laughing at this irl.

"Oh yeah? You assholes want this poo poo?"
*throws bag of holding into the fire*
"I heard what you pricks did to the gnoll encampment"
*wipes his rear end with a magic scroll*
"well gently caress your precious treasure"
*pours potion of enlarge down his pants and the characters have to find the ogre with huge tanuki nuts*