Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welcome to the Traditional Games chat thread! This is a place for:

• New users and lurkers
  • Chilling out and just hanging with peeps
  • Questions about traditional games
  • Questions about the Traditional Games subforum
  • Continuing derails from other threads
  • Anything you can't find a thread for
  • Other bullshit

Everyone is welcome to the chat thread, even non-TG regulars. You can find the 2020 thread here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I played the first session of a 2 parter of Nice Marines today, and I think more people should play Nice Marines, it's a good game whose mechanics encourage fun times.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man I need to start posting more again. I think I barely posted in last year's thread, let alone in general.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
from the last thread:

Boba Pearl posted:

What's the best dungeon mapping software?
What's the best World Building Software?

I need to know because my maps are garbage and I bought CC3+ with the dungeon and city suit and it was NOT worth it.

tl;dr: Wonderdraft, Inkarnate, Dungeondraft, Photoshop/GIMP/Paint.NET, use other people's maps, use randomly generated maps, don't worry as much about making your own maps if you need a lot of them. Figure out your needs. Longer form answer below.

---

What are you looking for here? Do you want to make your own maps for a specific game, or is it a module, or for a novel or something? Do you want to improve your maps for a game that relies on grid combat, like GURPS or D&D?

If you want to make maps that look pretty good for dungeon mapping to use at a physical table with lots of rich image assets and you print everything out for us in color, then something like Dungeondraft is pretty okay. Otherwise, a free image editor should be fine.

If you want to make battle maps that fit your specific vision on a virtual tabletop software that already allows for a grid projection like Roll20 or Tabletop Simulator, then I think you could take map assets and throw them onto there and do the grid projection and call it a day. "2 Minute Tabletop" is great for this and rather than spend time making my own maps, I stitch together maps and then use multicolored pens to customize or link them in a virtual tabletop.

Campaign Cartographer 3 is mostly intended if you want to create things for publications and is mostly a CAD program. The "Tome of Ultimate Mapping" is very useful for teaching it, but it's primarily making publication-grade material and it requires a lot of time to learn and prepare maps. It's 'worth it' if you want to commit to making money with map design, but for everyday map creation tableside, I agree probably not worth it.

For world maps, that also again depends. Wonderdraft is great, I hear good things about Inkarnate, but I also randomly generate world maps via Dwarf Fortress and then either redraw them for world maps or use as-is.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

With Campaign Cartographer, turn off the sheet/layer effects until its time for the final render; those slow things down. And yes, one of the CC bonuses is you can use the maps you make in it in publications (need special permission for battlemaps - i.e. anything that's large enough that their assets could be easily ripped, but that's just a case of emailing and asking, no fees or anything.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
More like Twenty Twenty FUN!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hi I am new user

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I should post here more and not, like, once in a blue moon in the Age of Sigmar thread.

My Lancer group has agreed to check out Wicked Ones, which is Blades in the Dark meets Dungeon Keeper. It's going to be every other week as one of your players is unable to make those days and we don't want them to miss too many games, so a side thing that can go on whilst they're away seems good.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I hope more boardgamers and miniaturers post in the new year. :unsmith:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man I need to start posting more again. I think I barely posted in last year's thread, let alone in general.

Please do. You’re a good poster.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DigitalRaven posted:

Please do. You’re a good poster.

:unsmith:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Trying to decide if I should sculpt non-existent Star Players for the upcoming Blood Bowl season. I feel like Ripper Bolgrot is an essential model to have onhand for my goblins, but there’s no stats available and the reduced Star Player options really hurt my odds.

Either way, I feel like it’ll be fun to see if my group is willing to extend me the option of modifying things.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Is there a "tell me about your character" thread somewhere on this board, and if not is it something anyone's interested in?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

mellonbread posted:

Is there a "tell me about your character" thread somewhere on this board, and if not is it something anyone's interested in?

I have embodied a sentiment of just post, the thread I made about megadungeons is pretty much 80% me talking to myself

Tell me about your character though

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

FWIW I'm following your megadungeon post, I just don't have anything meaningful to contribute to it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mellonbread posted:

I mean I'm interested in hearing about your character but that feels like exactly the sort of thing that is interesting with the kind of infrequency that it's a good thing for the chat thread.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

SkyeAuroline posted:

FWIW I'm following your megadungeon post, I just don't have anything meaningful to contribute to it.

nice

Tulip posted:

I mean I'm interested in hearing about your character but that feels like exactly the sort of thing that is interesting with the kind of infrequency that it's a good thing for the chat thread.

After having spent a stint in the yob I think two main things:

- better to post something than worry about if it will fly or not
- better to post, and celebrate an attempt, anywhere, without barriers

Very much the :justpost: energy but for TG/

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
unrelated but i decided to experiment with recording an intro piece of audio with a music bed for my saturday game to help rapidly onboard new players, since we lost 2-3 out of 5 and we need two more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbzWjFUUX24

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So you need players? Consider me sizzled.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Mustache Ride posted:

So you need players? Consider me sizzled.

Send me a PM, I am indeed looking for 1 or 2 more players, but I was mostly just like "look, a thing!"

The workflow was nowhere near as intimidating as I thought!

1. Record audio
2. Use something to level it
3. Download music from Youtube's music library that seemed thematically appropriate
4. Add music with 50% or less level respective to the spoken word with a fade out and fade in for the two segments
5. Use FusionCast (OS X only afaict) to automatically convert the audio with a cool image for Youtube
6. Upload
7. Use written script for subtitles and description
8. Done! Listen over and over and feel kind of satisfied with it

The actual pipeline was quite fast, the longest bit was deciding the songs to use. I think I'll probably try to do this for all the games that I have active just because it is a fun thingamabob.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Are there any good sources for urban / sci-fi combat maps?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Zeerust posted:

Are there any good sources for urban / sci-fi combat maps?

I feel like maybe stealing maps from Super Robot Wars would work.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Legit tip: use RPGmaker for mapmaking. There are premade and fanmade tilesets of every possible terrain you would possibly want.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Tell me about your character, Trad Games Chat.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I'll have to come back to it once our new game starts. I've had kind of interesting characters in the past but none really worth storytelling about, besides one half-remembered Supers Revised character I'd be partially reconstructing in the process of telling.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

This is a great idea for a thread but it leaves out those of us who perma-GM :smith:

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Drone posted:

This is a great idea for a thread but it leaves out those of us who perma-GM :smith:
Have you ever created a pregen, or group of pregens, that you were proud of, or that a player did something interesting with?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Drone posted:

Says "character," doesn't say NPCs are barred!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Drone posted:

You have stock NPCs that you run in every game? They're basically characters.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Drone posted:

There's a setting thread and a GM advice thread. :unsmith:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

When I DM’d years ago I took to heart all the advice to not make NPCs that join the party and are basically your own little player characters because you will steal the spotlight from the players and ruin their time or something.

Nowadays, my attitude is that they are loving players so who gives a poo poo. What are they gonna do, start GMing themselves? Lol, they aren’t even going to finish the player’s guide. I’m going to get in on that CharOp too and no one can stop me.

I am a Chaos DM

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

aldantefax posted:

from the last thread:

tl;dr: Wonderdraft, Inkarnate, Dungeondraft, Photoshop/GIMP/Paint.NET, use other people's maps, use randomly generated maps, don't worry as much about making your own maps if you need a lot of them. Figure out your needs. Longer form answer below.

---

What are you looking for here? Do you want to make your own maps for a specific game, or is it a module, or for a novel or something? Do you want to improve your maps for a game that relies on grid combat, like GURPS or D&D?

If you want to make maps that look pretty good for dungeon mapping to use at a physical table with lots of rich image assets and you print everything out for us in color, then something like Dungeondraft is pretty okay. Otherwise, a free image editor should be fine.

If you want to make battle maps that fit your specific vision on a virtual tabletop software that already allows for a grid projection like Roll20 or Tabletop Simulator, then I think you could take map assets and throw them onto there and do the grid projection and call it a day. "2 Minute Tabletop" is great for this and rather than spend time making my own maps, I stitch together maps and then use multicolored pens to customize or link them in a virtual tabletop.

Campaign Cartographer 3 is mostly intended if you want to create things for publications and is mostly a CAD program. The "Tome of Ultimate Mapping" is very useful for teaching it, but it's primarily making publication-grade material and it requires a lot of time to learn and prepare maps. It's 'worth it' if you want to commit to making money with map design, but for everyday map creation tableside, I agree probably not worth it.

For world maps, that also again depends. Wonderdraft is great, I hear good things about Inkarnate, but I also randomly generate world maps via Dwarf Fortress and then either redraw them for world maps or use as-is.

Do Wonderdraft or Inkarnate or the like have any plugins for Modern/Cyberpunk stuff or is all fantasy?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What are they gonna do, start GMing themselves?
"Inflict a DMPC on the players so one of them picks up DMing" is definitely a tactic.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've taken a page out of Spectaculars and basically stopped running with PCs. It's all GMCs for everybody.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

mellonbread posted:

"Inflict a DMPC on the players so one of them picks up DMing" is definitely a tactic.

Heh. In my experience I could probably defecate on the table while wearing a funny hat and making a weird voice before people would commit to running traditional TTRPGs themselves.

Seriously though, we’re approaching traditional TTRPGs again with some serious skepticism towards the folk wisdom surrounding best practices, especially stuff that is biased towards the player’s experience, because our collective experience is they are fun until the GM burns out and the game collapses.

We have nothing to lose. If it turns out to not be fun again we can just stick with GM-less stuff like For the Queen and Archipelago, narrative / storytelling games, board games whatever.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I mostly agree with this take on adding a DMPC: https://blogofholding.com/?p=2572

I would also add to the list of reasons to consider it is that running a DMPC from time to time has let me and a couple of the more adventurous people in my group try different systems without having too few characters to fill assumed roles or run published content without a ton of surgery.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The group I played with back in high school had a rotating DM chair and thus whoever was DMing had their character essentially as a DMPC. It worked out well enough.

I don't really miss many of the people from that group nowadays, but it was fun at the time. :unsmith:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

DeathSandwich posted:

Do Wonderdraft or Inkarnate or the like have any plugins for Modern/Cyberpunk stuff or is all fantasy?

Dunno, it is whatever you wanna make out of it, probably:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wonderdraft/comments/ao8hic/against_all_odds_i_made_a_modern_city_map_in/

I guess Wonderdraft has a reputation for not being modern friendly but it seems like this chum has figured it out.

Cyberpunk (at least, aesthetically) is lighting heavy so unless you are comfortable with object source lighting your best bet is likely to crib blueprints and maps from published sources to accomplish your needs. I don't know anything about Inkarnate but since people refer to Wonderdraft as the "Inkarnate competitor program" then I'd assume it is similar in some ways but may not have object lighting support.

Alternate suggestions for a modern / cyberpunk game: just take stuff from other people. Examples:

GM move 1: Google maps. Look for cities that are not in your locale if you like.

GM move 2: Public domain blueprints. Cyberpunk has to do with crawling around buildings and so on. https://www.archdaily.com/780312/these-are-the-best-architecture-images-from-the-nypls-new-public-domain-collection

GM move 3: Make your own map using terrain bits in Tabletop Simulator and then "pose it" in the camera angle you want, then take a screenshot of it and print it out / use it in roll20/whatever vtt. You can even toy around with grids and lighting for this.

This all comes down to:

"what do you want to do with maps (not just yours, but anybody's maps)"

"how much resources (time, energy, money, maybe) do you have to reasonably commit to this"

If creating maps means "designing and creating maps from scratch for a specific thing you have in mind that is also able to be created in an efficient, approachable way in a very specific aesthetic style", then you may need to look at existing map inspiration for those as well, because no program will make a satisfying map for you in a short timeframe. Budget at least a couple of hours until you get the hang of it and get ready to do a lot of it before it feels comfortable.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

The group I played with back in high school had a rotating DM chair and thus whoever was DMing had their character essentially as a DMPC. It worked out well enough.

I don't really miss many of the people from that group nowadays, but it was fun at the time. :unsmith:

Ars Magica sort of formalizes this with troupe play; players don’t have a 1-1 relationship with characters, and this facilitates switching the storyteller (GM) role around as an option (but it’s not required). I have never played it so I could be mistaken about details.

I feel like one of my groups is getting close to the point where we could probably try troupe style play with something narrative like PbtA or cortex. We’ve been leaning in to player author stance stuff in narrative games and the rules are light enough that I think players might feel comfortable adjudicating those games. We’ve also been playing a lot of fiasco and other GM-less stuff and I think that’s good cross circuit training, heh.

I sometimes wonder what the TTRPG industry would be like if D&D started as something like troupe-style play. It seems like the old school open table style play, with players coming and going and no expectation of like a 2 year long epic Dragonlance style drama, was sort of close. But the game moved far away from that somewhere at the end of 1st/start of 2E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Ars Magica sort of formalizes this with troupe play; players don’t have a 1-1 relationship with characters, and this facilitates switching the storyteller (GM) role around as an option (but it’s not required). I have never played it so I could be mistaken about details.

Honestly I think moving away from troupe style dming was one of the biggest mistakes of Ars5. The game is very crunch intensive and having one DM for everything is a quick road to burnout, and it's intended to be more of a medieval wizard soap opera where you bounce around different characters and subplots and only occasionally have a 'main plot' session anyway. The idea was generally that the 'main' gm would run the main plot, and everyone else would rotate around running plotlines for the various story hooks that the characters and covenant took.