Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
been playing StaTech Industries because we wanted a logistics/factory modpack with some modern QoL and Create to do silly aesthetic things with. A review of the pack so far:

Positives:
1. It sure is nice to have GT orespawns in a 1.19 (or 1.20? i forget) modpack. The extra height makes it more interesting, and nothing in modded minecraft's early game feels quite as good as seeing a football field or three's worth of completely cleared blocks that is the aftermath of slamming through an iron patch.

2. Modern Industry the mod is pretty good and I really like how it works. It hits a lot of good GT notes while being substantially different, and the overclock system (machines get faster and more efficient at a recipe as they are allowed to continue doing it specifically with no interruptions) incentivizes building in a way that isn't just slapping AE2 recipes together.

3. Create's unique methods for keeping tabs on various elements of a factory actually get a bit of work in this pack! you can easily set up a command center with alarms and stats on how various important processes are going with display links and that's fun.

4. early game voidbases are a nice QoL.

5. the quest progression and guidebooks is about as good as one could hope for in a single-author modpack like this. There's a few places where something isn't explained very well and one notable occurrence where battery alloy is only given a side mention until it remarks that you should already have it automated, but otherwise its pretty good at walking you through the steps of a complicated pack like this.

Negatives:

1. Gates AE2 to MV and digital storage to HV, and offers a seemingly great early game replacement - Tom's Simple Storage - that is awesome up until you need to start really using it hard. Then a bunch of cracks begin to show and you see how buggy it can be or how slow its throughput is. This means that you can essentially build yourself into a logistical corner where you're trapped using this slow-rear end inventory management systems until you can swap over to AE2, which because of the later era patch has the frustratingly annoying crystal bud system that you have to automate (but can't until you grab a few stacks of crystal clusters the slow and boring way.)

2. We put twilight forest in the pack for some reason! go kill a few boss mobs while hang gliding through a forest you've done a million times for no reason. it has no real relationship to the rest of the pack other than as a gate to further magic stuff. GTNH puts unique orespawns in the twilight forest - this just has it.

3. no way to avoid having to murder cows for leather early game. I hate punching the cows in minecraft. They just run away from you, sadly. Most packs have some sort of alternative, like chemically altering zombie flesh. This gates that to mid MV for some reason.

4. Create is less of a part of embedded progression in this pack and more of a side content piece you can use to help yourself out early to midgame and use for its aesthetic and logistic effects, rather than anything you'd seriously use to build out central parts of the factory with. This seems like it was done to appease the specific weirdly aggro subset of Greg fans that start foaming at the mouth when create gets mentioned, and is probably my second least favorite part of the whole Greg scene (the other part is the alt-right bullshit that comes up in the fringes of the various discords, or all over the nomifactory one). The anti-Create anger seems purely driven by a "its popular so i hate it" thing and is really annoying, frankly. And in the case of this modapck seems to have actively stymied making it more central to the deal, which was one of the reasons we chose this specific pack in the first place.

5. this is purely a "spoiled by GTNH" thing but wow do i miss having a bunch of fun multiblocks to build. the direction of MI means that several dozen single-purpose machines will absolutely outperform building a bigass industrial grinder and that's both interesting and sad. My favorite memory of GT was setting up my HV/EV ore treatment, with all of the bigass processing machines involved. There's a good number of multis in in MI but way the mod is set up makes it so that unless they have some unique functionality they will get overshadowed by having a bunch of upgraded and dedicated singleblocks.

Overall:

That's a lot of words about negatives, but the overall experience of the pack has been very enjoyable so far. I'm looking forward to moving to the chemical phase of GT/MI and seeing what its like in this pack. Overall I'm happy with it, but there's a nagging feeling at the back of my had that maybe we should have done Create: Arcane Engineering instead for more of the create-centric pack, and that this is more like a slightly pale imitation of a GT pack with modern bells & whistles attached. On the other hand, that might be just what you need if you want to do a tiptoe into Greg stuff without the baggage of GTNH or if you'll spontaneously combust if you have to do another stupid DML setup in Nomifactory again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

RF is FE, everything uses it (except the bad mods).

e: the FTB wiki says it uses 8 RF/t, so 160 RF per second or 9600 RF per minute.

e2: take a look at minecraft/defaultconfigs/immersiveengineering-server.toml, the machines.garden_cloche section, consumption attribute

That appears to be normal, so it looks like Enigmatica 6 Expert is changing that somewhere else, since some googling eventually turned up that they made it consume 512 times as much power. But don't worry, it's also 25% faster!

And also available much, much earlier than botany pots or phytogentic insolators!

EDIT: Okay yeah if I check that file in the serverconfig on the actual server, yep.
code:
	consumption = 4096
	growth_modifier = 1.25

Zereth fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 28, 2024

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It's funny that apparently the GT establishment hates Create so much. I absolutely adore it and it's aesthetics.

My dream mod pack would be an amalgamation of GTNH and Create, using Create for initial infrastructure and automation in concert woth crates/storage drawers through the stone, steam and into LV age, maybe beyond. Transitioning to EnderIO and later AE2. Probably in some magical way that makes it easy to scale and convert into the next storage/automation tier.

Since I'm wishing for unicorns and cocaine this hypothetical pack would also truncate NH's 10 or whatever electrical tiers and condense them down with each tier bringing some large change/features.