Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

how close were you to the bubble? I can see folding here if you're near a cash spot, although villain can exploit that and can potentially raise wider if it seems the table is playing super tight to try and place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

how close were you to the bubble? I can see folding here if you're near a cash spot, although villain can exploit that and can potentially raise wider if it seems the table is playing super tight to try and place.

Close to the bubble if I'm the villain I'm jamming pretty drat wide in this situation because this is where everyone tightens up and you just had this pretty classic squeeze situation setup for you.

And I don't like hero to call with the plan of jamming it in on a decent looking board. I think just get it in here.

java
May 7, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

not close to the bubble at all, a little over 1/3 of the players remained

edit: I busted out of the tourney maybe 1 hour later probably 20 or so spots from cashing, ran AQ into 99 with about 7BB in my stack.

java fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 22, 2024

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
5NL 6 max

Villain with 100BB in lojack
Hero with 86BB in hijack
There's a fish in the cutoff who has been donating to me all night, either folding to any river aggression or just playing bad hands and getting beaten.

Villain limps, Hero bets 3BB with KsJs, fish in the cutoff and villain call.

~10BB in the pot,

flop is 2d 3h Jh

Villain check, Hero bets half pot, fish in the cutoff calls and villain calls.

about 22BB in pot,

Turn is 3s giving 2d 3h Jh 3s

Check Check Check

River is 8h giving 2d 3h Jh 3s 8h

Villain checks,

Hero bets roughly pot, 20BB

Fish folds, Villain goes into the tank then calls with 6h 7h and wins with the flush.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

algebra testes posted:

5NL 6 max

Villain with 100BB in lojack
Hero with 86BB in hijack
There's a fish in the cutoff who has been donating to me all night, either folding to any river aggression or just playing bad hands and getting beaten.

Villain limps, Hero bets 3BB with KsJs, fish in the cutoff and villain call.

~10BB in the pot,

flop is 2d 3h Jh

Villain check, Hero bets half pot, fish in the cutoff calls and villain calls.

about 22BB in pot,

Turn is 3s giving 2d 3h Jh 3s

Check Check Check

River is 8h giving 2d 3h Jh 3s 8h

Villain checks,

Hero bets roughly pot, 20BB

Fish folds, Villain goes into the tank then calls with 6h 7h and wins with the flush.

three handed with a fish that always called, i would have shoved the flop or done 2-3x pot. i dont want multiway pots on draw heavy boards like that. gives the draws bad odds and youre only dead to 22/33/23/jj/maybe aj. you block the j's.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So villain limp called with low suited connectors, check called with four cards to a flush and a half pot bet plus the fish calling it for roughly 4:1 odds on the flop. Checks on the turn blank.

Why did you raise pot on the river when a third heart comes out and two opponents either one of which can have a flush? Villain's check kinda makes sense to me since he has a low flush with two opponents, and I think he reads your 20BB raise as a value raise with something that isn't a high or nut flush and the fish is out of the way for him to call.

I think you played fine through the turn, firing again on the turn would have been OK too, but I'm a lot more wary of a flush getting there and I don't want to give villain in particular good pot odds to call the river raise.

e. on the other hand, you preserved some money vs. shoving river and getting called by a higher flush, which villain can also have IMO. But villain folds lower flushes to a shove and I feel like with just JJ, the raise here isn't a value bet, it's a semi-bluff.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Loose-ish micro-cash game. It's mid-morning Eurozone. Everyone seems to be playing with their stacks, drunk or high, or waiting for tournaments. The Villain is willing to show a little money with 11BB pre-flop raises. A few have already busted and skedaddled after busting. Two have re-bought. Hero has taken a good hand from the loosest player putting Hero up 33%+ (the loosest player now the BTN to the Hero's SB in this hand) where the hero "extremely aggressively" re-raised to fold twice-stacked(?) BTNs hand. The Villain wasn't involved seriously in any Hero hands, of which there have been two or three the Hero won OK. Maybe a previous Hero late position "normal" raise forcing the Villain out of cheap hands?

Hero in SB gets dealt [Ad As]
Folds to...
EP - Villain - limps
Folds to...
BTN limps
SB - Hero - Raises - 5BB
EP - Villain - Calls
BTN - Folds
[2s 8d Kd]
Hero - Raises - 6BB
Villain - Raises - 12BB
Hero - Raises - 19.5BB
Villain - Raises - 27BB
Hero - Raises - All In - 106BB
Villain - Calls
The hand plays out...

Board is [2s 8d Kd 9s 7d] with the villain winning with [7c 8c] (two pair, Eights and Sevens)

I don't know the GTO or even odds on the villain drawing the flush should they have [*d] or even if they have trips on the flop. They've only raised my pre-flop raise amount(-ish) twice before I go all in. Do I take the chance with matching their 27BB on the flop and another raise of the same amount, or 50BB if I don't see a flush after the turn? Do I think they've three 2 or three 8, post-flop if I don't see the flush? They don't have K if they're limping. I've gotten maximum value here, haven't I, from a gut feeling "analytical" perspective. I want this hand to play the same way up to the turn? A bigger raise, say 27BB instead of 19.5bb? But I want them to play, right?

Post-hoc: what's the logic in looking for trips or loving two pair on an 80BB raises after four bets where they call my all in?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
sometimes you lose stacks to people you should want to play against. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

leper khan posted:

sometimes you lose stacks to people you should want to play against. :shrug:

Yeah... Just wanted to confirm this was a bad beat and there wasn't something obvious I missed. That based on their play (and not what they actually had) there wasn't anything glaringly obvious I missed. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say, "Yo! Look at this lovely luck!" without someone confirming it for me.

It's just pissing me off because I felt I was in a good position at that table, had a good read on the table, and was creating pots I wanted to be in. It felt like I was playing better than I normally do and then this happened.