Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
(dropped my phone and the camera went to poo poo. potato quality is on the menu)

Where to start. Month after getting the motor in and car running, it's still throwing codes.

Before I got a scanner, I was going off of forums trouble shoot hearsay. LOL. One part of my swap due diligence I wish I would have thought about more is intake. Going against good advice, I got a short ram from Monkey Wrench Racing. Problem is, it has a different inside diameter than what toyota engineered intake and no vanes. Running a stand alone? who cares. But with the Celica ECU, it really wants toyota specs. I figured this could be the culprit at first. Foolishly, I threw away the stock airbox from the vibe. Maybe I should have just junk yard'd another intake but I decided to to what the cool kids do and put a Cobb short ram intake designed for the suburu in it. very, very close ID to Toyota specs, vanes in proper place, draws air from side vent, and good induction noises a foot behind your head. I got one and put it one. Still running lean. As a theme, I went and did what I should have done to start with and got a scanner.

I ended up getting a $100 harbor frieght scanner. Man, what a handy tool! It has live data, abs system and in-depth snap shots.

The first thing it told me was that a massive vacuum leak was happening somewhere.

calc load 12.5%
stft 19.5
ltft 0
idle 1150
spark advance 14+/- .5
Intake temp 93 F
MAF .35
TPS 10.2
o2 b1 s1 .3 v
stft v1s1 19.5
02 b1 s2 .00v

CEL p300 p301

The stft would rise to ~19.5 and slowly drag the ltft after. I went through and checked the vacuum system, exhaust sytem, fuel delivery, and intake. I could not find the leak. After my third time switching the injectors around, one of the engine side O rings busted. I replaced it with fresh rubber and the vacuum leak was solved.

Cool.

What about this pesky p0141 o2 senior heater circuit?
Found out the downstream 02 sensor was dead. Switched out with a new denso, problem solved.

Then came the real kick in the nuts.

I took the car for a test drive and it ran great.... until I tried lift. :(

P1346. timing of the vvt gear is off. or at least the circuit isn't functioning correct.

Did I miss time the engine, seal it all back up, put it in the car?

oh jeez!

I will not put anything past myself at this point. I really thought we had it right. I had my friend take the lead on that project while I was his assistant. We both read the instruction and thought we were thorough. It's a little bit of funny timing. The marks need to be off set.

The engine hums until 6200 and then, blamo. Now, there are other culprits besides being mistimed. Could it be the wiring? Could the crank sensor be bad? could the cam sensor be bad? Debris around magnetic sensor?

It's still been one step forward, two steps back. 6 months in, over budget, emotionally beat up, but its all good. I can feel how close it is and it's going to be good when it comes together.

I have had a chance to do some other stuff.

A couple things that bothered me about the car were the seat, and old crummy Momo poo poo knob

I found a good looking celica passenger seat. Putting the Celica seats in the MR2 is a matter of taking off the cushions from the bracket and putting the other cushions on. I think the black cloth seat is a big improvement for a very reasonable price and effort.

old cushions

Refurbished the MOMO shifter, with some cork, tung oil, brass, and Damascus steel.

I was able to get it weighed on a truck scale. With the passenger seat out, soft top delete, hardtop on, 5/8s tank of gas, no driver: 2150lbs :getin:

no lube so what fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hell yeah.

Thread title got me wondering if anyone has 2ZZ swapped a Fiero. Would be funny that it could technically still be a Pontiac engine going in.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

MISTER TWO

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

no lube so what posted:

I was able to get it weighed on a truck scale. With the passenger seat out, soft top delete, hardtop on, 5/8s tank of gas, no driver: 2150lbs :getin:

Oh that's gotta scoot decently.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

no lube so what posted:

Power is great and all but reducing weight is the true answer. Then you add back in the power and have a rocket that can really handle.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

STR posted:

Oh that's gotta scoot decently.

my VVTL-i goes BWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHH....

(getting all teary eyed like a teenage boy thinking about touching his first boob)

Hopefully

NitroSpazzz posted:

Power is great and all but reducing weight is the true answer. Then you add back in the power and have a rocket that can really handle.

This is a poor boy wannabe Elise through and through. It's now got the same powertrain and ~same weight as a na 2zz Elise/exige. The lotus still has the fat tire size, double wishbone suspension and slight down force aero advantages.

I've been grabbing some suspension parts as they have came on sale over the last 6 months. I have a set of Koni yellows with adjustable rebound, 2 dot crash bolts incase there isn't enough camber play to start and some adjustable sways on the shelf.

When the swap gets buttoned up, I plan on enjoying it for a while. My tires are still fresh. 185F/205R Yoko S drive. The current struts are old but good. Next, I'll probably put on the sway bars and get an alignment. Caster is set. 1.5* camber up front with no toes. 2* camber in the back with some small amount of toe in. Then play with the adjustable sway bars until I feel I find what I like. Then over the winter add the Koni and play with the dampening to trim in the suspension.

no lube so what fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 18, 2021

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Scoots.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Scoot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d05tQrhNMkA

I’m so sorry

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

After smoothing out the second install hiccups, I've just kept at it. Had to fool with the throttle cable a bit, ended up making a bracket. Alternator went out, That was a bitch. Ran out of gas after installing the sequential shift light messed with the gas gauge. New dampeners, the bump stops were toast. Turned down the crash bolts to get some more camber. Painted my wheels black after trying gold after trying silver. Got some 205/50/15 rt660 all around. Crazy grip vs ECS. Been autocrossing and wondering what my life was before the desire to be a broke track rat set in.

I'm now accumulating coil over parts, figuring out roll bar/fixed seats, and needlessly forming arm-chair opinions on airfoils.

no lube so what fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 20, 2023

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
What sequential shift light is that?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

User Error posted:

What sequential shift light is that?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124453796311

Only the finest

Edit:
It is this one, sl10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124079930407?epid=26015373373&hash=item1ce3bd7c27:g:5P8AAOSwMGhaju2h

FWIW, I offered less than asking and they accepted

no lube so what fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 30, 2021

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Put the MR2 away for the winter and started on DIY Coilovers. The off the shelf coilovers for the MR2 really fall into Taiwan or k&w. Since I din't want to spend $texas and I didn't really want to do BC, I went the stupid way.

Originally, I went half way. The car came with slightly stiffer lowering springs, and I had slapped the Koni on and aligned it more aggressively. Results:

outside

Inside

Tires aren't happy :( and since the autox bug has got me, it was time to go full stupid.

The DIY Koni coils are a known thing done by dozens of people, I just followed their recipe.

First I had to cut off the old spring perch

Then weld on some new perches made from bent drill rod

In the rear, I had room under the strut so I made some spacers to give more bump travel

made some spring perches w/ thrust bearings and a spacer. Used old top hats

On the fronts, I adapted some spring perches I had to put on a thrust bearing and bought some universal camber plates I'm going to use for caster

All put together

Front

Rear

Right now, Its got 600lb springs in the front, 400lb springs in the rear and the sways bars are sitting in the corner.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that shot from the back with no bodywork screams deathkart; has anyone made one from an MR2 yet?

MR-S yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALodBf_68sY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMhU8iw7iUI

One of my old flatmates had one, spent a few nice summer days just puttering around the city and beaches with her, always thought they were under appreciated.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Well now I just want a Mr.2 even more. Fantastic work.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Failson posted:

Well now I just want a Mr.2 even more. Fantastic work.

Thanks! I'm glad I held onto it all these years.

Got around to finishing up (still not finished) the roll your own coil overs.

Going with 8" springs left me with a problem at droop

slapped some $50 bills on

front

rear

Last time I turned down the crash bolts, I didn't cut into the threads. Same interference points remained. took care of that.

Put on some camber plates, added 1/2" rearward offset to get more caster.

After that, I threw it on some corner scales and fidgeted around.

ready to rock with a full tank of gas

and driver

Next up is getting an alignment and some autox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
I've taken the new suspension to a couple of autox events now, and it sure does have more grip. Getting rid of the sway bars and upping the springs just kept the tires down. The tires are also getting more even wear across the width when running 28 psi hot. Overall the car was a little pushy, so I added a couple pounds back into the rear and I really liked how the car balanced. Only spun out once and saved a few with throttle & counter steer.

I am running 1/16 toe in front and 1/16 toe out rear. Might go no toe next, and then classic toe out front/toe in rear later in the spring. I feel like the current spring rates are pretty darn good for the square set up and I can probably tune in the rest with alignment/ride heights/tire pressures.