Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Regular
AEW
TJPW
DDT

Occasional
Dragon Gate
GCW
NOAH

Rarely
AJPW

Used to watch NJPW but just not into it at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Regular
TJPW - Kind of a recent qualifier for this along with DDT. Subbed to Wrestle Universe a month or so back and it's become regular viewing since.
DDT - See Above
AEW - It's competent, easily accessible wrestling :shrug:

Rarely
NJPW - despite my continued subscription to World, I barely watch at this point. The wrestling itself is still fine but the last ~year has just destroyed most of my interest. I use it for Shingo matches at this point.
NOAH - It's there with Wrestle Universe but I just can't make watching it a remotely consistent habit.

With NOAH I found I needed a way in, a guy who I enjoyed and I could always look forward to. Inamura was that for me because he's a giant violent baby.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lamuella posted:

With NOAH I found I needed a way in, a guy who I enjoyed and I could always look forward to. Inamura was that for me because he's a giant violent baby.

same but KENOH. Who is also a giant violent baby but different.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'd like to thank the people that reminded me I should be back watching Diana again/more.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm happy to see SEAdLINNNG show up as often as they do

It helps that basically every SEAd match you link to in the MOTY thread features Arisa Nakajima who absolutely rules.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The main promotion I follow is Dragon Gate. I watch all the big shows and Korakuens and the smaller shows that aren't just gloried house shows making tape. After that I watch AEW Dynamite and their PPVs and sometimes Dark/Elevation if I have nothing else going on.

I occasionally check out other random promotions if something catches my eye like Shingo maineventing a New Japan show or something.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised less people are into DDT, especially among people into Tokyo Joshi, because I know if I could pick only 1 of the 2 it'd be DDT.
I'm into DDT when I can catch it, but I think it's a matter of wealth of content nowadays. If I wasn't following a promotion already, and don't know who most of the people are, there's more of a curve to learn everyone's names and get the gist of the storylines. It's the same kind of thing as "Have you seen these several amazing shows on Hulu/Netflix/Amazon/Disney+/HBOMax? You'd love them!" And yeah, I probably would, but going in cold is hard when I have limited time AND a backlog AND other types of media I'm also trying to keep up with AND a personal life.

Is there some sort of aggregate website with a bunch of wrestling shows in a calendar, or can filter out the ones you don't want to see? Your schedule posts in the Puro thread are really helpful, but I think if I had something similar that includes every promotion I'm potentially interested in, I'd check out more stuff. I just have trouble keeping track of it all.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I think there was some rumbling to make a goon google calendar to put together all of the wrestling we want people to know is happening and to watch, but it didn't really go anywhere.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I guess Cagematch's results and upcoming shows pages are the closest thing to that. It's not really sortable for filtering out promotions you're not interested in, but it's not bad.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Speaking of cagematch, if you do the natural thing and click the name of an event instead of remembering to slide over and click on card it takes you straight to the results, making Cagematch kind of a pain in the rear end for looking up older events that you might want to watch without being spoiled.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

History Comes Inside! posted:

Speaking of cagematch, if you do the natural thing and click the name of an event instead of remembering to slide over and click on card it takes you straight to the results, making Cagematch kind of a pain in the rear end for looking up older events that you might want to watch without being spoiled.

Thanks for that reminder because I almost just spoiled King of Gate for myself.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think I finally trained myself after the thousandth time.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

I watch AEW on the regular, I might not watch Dynamite for a few weeks but I'll catch up before a PPV or a special Dynamite if nothing else. I'll catch GCW here and there but not every show, and have fallen off a bit from that wagon as well. I'll catch random shows off of IWTV when the cards look interesting. About half of my wrestling time is spent going through the IWTV archives.

Haven't really watched any puro in more than a year. Wish there was a way to keep up with BJW, but BJW Core is always a month behind on their schedule and the archives are not much. Dunno if the Niconico pro wrestling channel is still a good deal for live indie events, might give that another go at some point if it still holds up.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Regular
NJPW - I know everyone's down on them, but this is still the promotion that got me back into wrestling and has some of my favorite wrestlers, matches, and events. I don't watch the "Road To..." stuff, but I try to keep up with the main shows. I've started getting into Strong too, which has been pretty good.
AEW - Much like with NJPW's "Road To..." shows, I don't really watch Dark, Elevation, or BTE, but I always watch Dynamite + PPVs. It's not my favorite promotion but they have a lot of good wrestling, and having a show around the same time every week is nice.
Dragon Gate - I really enjoy DG, but I try to keep up mainly because of the FOMO nature of the DG Network. I mainly just watch the shows with English commentary. I wanted to follow "King of Gate", but having family staying with me for the month put the kibosh on that.
TJPW - This is mainly just "That's J-PW". I do enjoy it and should keep up with the main stuff.

Occasional
DDT - I fell behind, but I'm trying to keep up.
GCW - Same as DDT. I fell behind over the summer though I did watch a couple Collective shows.
MLW - Much like with Dynamite, it was nice having a weekly show to follow and I initially liked how they had a bunch of AEW/Beyond/GCW guys. I've fallen off it because of COVID and all the departures, but I want to catch up for when the Dragon Gate guys show up.

Rarely
AJPW - Basically just for Champion Carnival. Maybe I'll try keeping up if Jake gets the Triple Crown.
NOAH - Fell off after N-1 and Shiozaki/Nakajima. I do want to catch up by the CyberFight Festival.
STARDOM - Started with last year's 5-Star Grand Prix and fell off until the CInderella Tournament.
WWE - I actually dropped the Network after one of the Crown Jewel shows, but I got it back since I already subscribe to Peacock. I watched Wrestlemania, but other than retro stuff and maybe Rumbles and 'Manias I don't really plan on keeping up.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Watch with Consistency:
Choco Pro
AEW

Mainly because I can watch these shows for free and no matter how much I've missed, I'm always guaranteed a good or entertaining match or segment.

Would like to watch consistently:
TJPW
Diana/Other Joshi

TJPW and ther others are behind a paywall which is the main hinderance. In addition, the time difference makes it so easy to just skip the show but I like the talent and would watch if I could. I would like to watch other promotions besides Joshi but it's a matter of desire to do so and having a sense of what's good to watch.

When it's on:
WWE

It's been a habit for so many years that muscle memory just makes me click on USA on Mondays just to see what's going on.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If it helps, the 900 yen per month for Wrestle Universe is easily the most bang for your buck of any subscription service. Including upcoming shows, their May releases have included:

• 9 episodes of That's JPW, the world's cutest 15 minute English language wrestling show, hosted by Akki and Brookes from ChocoPro
  • 8 full length TJPW shows, including the re-release of their March pay per view
  • 7 full length shows from Pro Wrestling NOAH, including the upcoming Misawa memorial show.
  • 7 full length shows from DDT including the entirety of their Ultimate Tag League
  • 2 DDT-adjacent shows: one from Ganbare Pro Wrestling and one produced by Onita that included an electrified ring

Even discounting the 15 minute shows, that's 24 wrestling shows in a month, or less than 40 yen a show, and most of it's really good. DDT have been on a roll lately, TJPW have upped their already good game by a lot over the last few months, and providing you don't mind the juniors switching factions every 5 minutes and the champ being a bit old, NOAH is excellent as mainstream Japanese men's wrestling.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lamuella posted:

If it helps, the 900 yen per month for Wrestle Universe is easily the most bang for your buck of any subscription service. Including upcoming shows, their May releases have included:

• 9 episodes of That's JPW, the world's cutest 15 minute English language wrestling show, hosted by Akki and Brookes from ChocoPro
  • 8 full length TJPW shows, including the re-release of their March pay per view
  • 7 full length shows from Pro Wrestling NOAH, including the upcoming Misawa memorial show.
  • 7 full length shows from DDT including the entirety of their Ultimate Tag League
  • 2 DDT-adjacent shows: one from Ganbare Pro Wrestling and one produced by Onita that included an electrified ring

Even discounting the 15 minute shows, that's 24 wrestling shows in a month, or less than 40 yen a show, and most of it's really good. DDT have been on a roll lately, TJPW have upped their already good game by a lot over the last few months, and providing you don't mind the juniors switching factions every 5 minutes and the champ being a bit old, NOAH is excellent as mainstream Japanese men's wrestling.

See, for me on the other hand that’s just way too many shows for a month even if you only look at a single promotion under the umbrella. I’d feel overwhelmed trying to keep on top any of it.

Being old and married and having a full time job gets in the way.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

See, for me on the other hand that’s just way too many shows for a month even if you only look at a single promotion under the umbrella. I’d feel overwhelmed trying to keep on top any of it.

Being old and married and having a full time job gets in the way.

If you aren't sure what to watch, because yeah there's too much for normal adults, I generally look for shows with title matches on them, which is only maybe 2 a month for DDT.

Either that or just check the puro or MOTY threads for recs. A lot of the shows are basically house shows that are very much inessential viewing albeit fun entertainment if you have the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Regular
NJPW - Despite being hit hard by the pandemic and questionable decisions overall, I still love NJPW
NOAH - I love NOAH it's so dramatic, but somehow manages to not take itself super seriously (I mean. a 58 y/o with busted knees is their top champ right now).
DDT - Still familiarizing myself with the roster by going through the D-OH Grand Prix. I like Eruption, HARASHIMA, and of course Uncle Jun.
TJPW - wrestling comfort food. I love everyone, the workrate is unreal, and I haven't seen a bad match yet since starting at Wrestle Princess 2020

Occasional
AJPW - might cancel my sub next month, let's see

Just got into but I'm loving it
Dragon Gate - it rules okay