Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Ether Frenzy posted:

1997's COTY: The Chevrolet Malibu

1997's Import of the year: BMW E39 5 series

Starting to think maybe Motor Trend is paid for by Detroit

Honestly the e39 deserved it.

Arguably the last "real" BMW (depending who you ask as always).

Rhyno posted:

Well yeah the price is amazing but if you want any creature comforts it will push the price way up. I expect the Hyundai to be decently equipped in the base trim and the mid tier will have all the goodies I could ever want. But then the anxiety from the though of spending more than $15K on a car sets back in and I go back to looking at FiSTs.

Hyundai has not announced pricing yet but car and driver said that they expect the price to be anywhere between 27-40k.

If that's true, the Maverick would be a crazy bargain, even at the base model 'cardboard box' trim.

While we are at it, can we talk about how the Mini Cooper S and the chrysler 200 basically disappeared from the road completely after only like 2 years.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I think the jalopnik article said mid 20s for the base SC.

Maybe they'll depreciate like a rock and I can get one without causing a mental breakdown.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Lol, every time I run the numbers and see the monthly payment for a new car I close my browser and think 'well, better wait for that to depreciate a bit so I can buy one used any pay it off in 30 months...'

Shame about the Santa Cruz' piano black capacitive center console though- I'd love to have something smaller than my gmt800 that can pull a 4000lb trailer plus camping gear and a passenger or two.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I remember as a kid thinking the X-11 was pretty cool

For the time, it kinda was. Nifty graphics, HO 2.8 (again, "high-output" for the time and compared to other 2.8s), the basic 2-door hatch profile was OK (to me, at least), and I liked the graphics and mild bodykit package.
That said, the X-body was LOL in terms of how many issues and recalls they had. I know where at least one is, a Pontiac Phoenix sedan in pretty good shape, but hasn't moved in years. Same friend who owns a pile of Fieros, natch.
And my brother-in-law had a Phoenix hatch when I met my wife. I replaced the brake pads and a LF wheel bearing (actually the entire upright, used, from a Fiero!) for him once.

got off on a technicality posted:

I once drove a first gen Aveo. That was a true garbage car

The PT Cruiser was unrefined and lovely in a particularly American way, but it was also serviceable in a particularly American way that will be familiar to anyone who's ever driven a Crown Vic. Having cleared that low bar, it was free to scratch a particular itch for the consumer that no other product at the time was quite as capable of scratching: nice upright position for easy entry and exit, simplicity of operation, retro styling. I saw a gaggle of them at a brunch buffet by the sea two weeks ago, and it was clear they were loved. Hell, I've owned so many cars that are objectively better in all respects, and I still reminisce about my lovely rental PT Cruiser. I don't know that it was the best choice for car of the year or whatever, but it has its strong points

It was a Neon that was even harder to work on thanks to the packaging issues caused by the retro bodywork. I get what you're trying to say - it was a car, it ran and drove, and more or less kept doing so for many years without major issues. Frankly, cars have gotten so much better in the last 20-30 years that even the worst one is typically better than older stuff, especially in terms of stop, turn, and go, not to mention reliability.

At least the PT Cruiser could be had in turbo-flavored form. And convertible if you had even less taste than the typical PT owner.

Ferremit posted:

Sorry for the wall o text, I just had to get this all out before it consumed me.

Uh, oof. That's a lot to unpack.
I can't really offer any advice (because I barely know what I'm doing vis-a-vis relationships - Lord know how I'm still married,) but thanks for trusting us with stuff like this, even though we're all just words on the internet.
I guess the ship has sailed, but good communication might have saved the day, or at least kept things amicable, but I know that's easy to say, and tougher to do.

meatpimp posted:

I'm sorry you're in such a state. No judgement here, but this will probably end up for the best -- when you brought her in, she was vulnerable and in need. There's a power structure there that is not healthy for a relationship.

I hope things work out well for you.

I have nothing to add beyond that's a very good point that I hadn't thought of.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

In other news, it's Steam Summer Sale time and there's a bunch of cheap car games on big discount, including Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 for $7.59 and Project Cars 2&3 for 70% off +

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Oh man...

Before I got sober I "dated" a stripper. I use the quotes because I was not really dating her as much as I was sleeping with her in exchange for a place to sleep. We did not really like each other like that all that much and it was kind of a weird junkie relationship that only lasted like 2 months.

Anyways, she had a first gen Aveo.

I took it to have the oil changed at one point because she had put about 50k miles on it without ever changing the oil. Shockingly that car really took a beating and just kept going.

Ever since then I've noticed tons of old Aveos rolling around. My best guess is that the Aveo is the "most affordable" car on the buy here pay here lots these days. Or at least they were a year or two ago.

I'm assuming cars like that get their "buy here pay here" status because they did not sell well new and depreciated fast. So the used car vultures pick them up with low miles and ripped out with a bunch of options so they can force unfortunate poors with no other options into a $150/week payment plan with an interest rate in the 20s.

I remember it being made by Daewoo? If that's true it explains everything terrible about the Aveo.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

XC Barina and the VN Commodore
The XC Barina SRi is one of the all time great hot hatch bargains and all XC barinas shat on everything else in its price range. The VN commodore kinda sucked but vastly less than the falcons of that era. Plus they do excellent skids and the engines were pretty good. The camira did suck (although the later efi ones sucked much less and were better than a lot of the competition)

e:

64bit_Dophins posted:

Oh man...

Before I got sober I "dated" a stripper. I use the quotes because I was not really dating her as much as I was sleeping with her in exchange for a place to sleep. We did not really like each other like that all that much and it was kind of a weird junkie relationship that only lasted like 2 months.

I took it to have the oil changed at one point because she had put about 50k miles on it without ever changing the oil. Shockingly that car really took a beating and just kept going.

Ever since then I've noticed tons of old Aveos rolling around. My best guess is that the Aveo is the "most affordable" car on the buy here pay here lots these days. Or at least they were a year or two ago.

I'm assuming cars like that get their "buy here pay here" status because they did not sell well new and depreciated fast. So the used car vultures pick them up with low miles and ripped out with a bunch of options so they can force unfortunate poors with no other options into a $150/week payment plan with an interest rate in the 20s.

I remember it being made by Daewoo? If that's true it explains everything terrible about the Aveo.
yeah they were daewoo products and like most daewoo products they will probably continue sucking until the heat death of the universe (at least in areas without rust being a factor). had a mate with a nubira (?) which went nearly 100k without any form of service and when i checked the dipstick it was bone dry, it made it another 2 years before being written off because my mate was a poo poo driver. i told him to put oil in it but idk if he actually did lol

big dong wanter fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 29, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yup, Aveo's of the era were Daewoo's. They are surprisingly competent little shitboxes. They were outsold by the equivalent Suzuki's here but I see them around every once and a while as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

Oh man...

Yeah, it’s a Daewoo, and was very cheap. Yet, somehow, like you, I still see the things around, so I guess they weren’t terrible, in terms of longevity/reliability. They were replaced by the Spark, I think?

Fake edit: Chevy Sonic. Which I like in hatchback form. They actually gave it 15” wheels, which makes it look aggressive. And the motorcycle-style gauge cluster is neat.

Real edit: and they could come with a neat little 1.4L turbo 4 and 6-speed.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

This is making me wonder how hard it would be to srt-4 swap a pt cruiser.

Also what happened to those? I remember they were everywhere and all had rfl bovs and then just gone?

Young drivers + boost controllers was my assumption.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

honda whisperer posted:

Also what happened to those? I remember they were everywhere and all had rfl bovs and then just gone?

No need, some of them came that way.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I had a Sonic rental and it was quite nice besides the fact that when I bumped the keyfob with my knee it turned off the car, lights and all.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

honda whisperer posted:

You don’t have to. Look up what a GT-Cruiser, aka PT Cruiser GT is.

E:f,b

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

big dong wanter posted:

The XC Barina SRi is one of the all time great hot hatch bargains and all XC barinas shat on everything else in its price range. The VN commodore kinda sucked but vastly less than the falcons of that era. Plus they do excellent skids and the engines were pretty good. The camira did suck (although the later efi ones sucked much less and were better than a lot of the competition)

e:

yeah they were daewoo products and like most daewoo products they will probably continue sucking until the heat death of the universe (at least in areas without rust being a factor). had a mate with a nubira (?) which went nearly 100k without any form of service and when i checked the dipstick it was bone dry, it made it another 2 years before being written off because my mate was a poo poo driver. i told him to put oil in it but idk if he actually did lol

The tech at the shop was pissed with me because it was so hard for him to get the filter off with all the dried/caked on oil around the threads.

A girl I knew in highschool had a 4 door Lanos. Now THAT was real lovely car.

I've never felt that feeling of "oh man I don't know if the car is going to make it up this hill" before or since driving that shitbox.

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, it’s a Daewoo, and was very cheap. Yet, somehow, like you, I still see the things around, so I guess they weren’t terrible, in terms of longevity/reliability. They were replaced by the Spark, I think?

Fake edit: Chevy Sonic. Which I like in hatchback form. They actually gave it 15” wheels, which makes it look aggressive. And the motorcycle-style gauge cluster is neat.

Real edit: and they could come with a neat little 1.4L turbo 4 and 6-speed.

I really like the Sonic tbh. I feel like it would make a great 'city car'.

I'm giving real consideration to getting a used Chevy Bolt as a "around town" daily.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

64bit_Dophins posted:

I really like the Sonic tbh. I feel like it would make a great 'city car'.

I'm giving real consideration to getting a used Chevy Bolt as a "around town" daily.

There's one shop that makes really fast ones.
https://zzperformance.com/collections/sonic-cruze

Edit: Oh poo poo, they make go fast bits for the new turbo Buick Regals as well...

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 29, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

McTinkerson posted:

There's one shop that makes really fast ones.
https://zzperformance.com/collections/sonic-cruze

Edit: Oh poo poo, they make go fast bits for the new turbo Buick Regals as well...

drat...

Maybe I should pick one up.

I know it's not that hard to find one with a standard transmission but I hear they feel pretty "mushy".

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Did we have a road trip/travel thread at one point? Or am I thinking of something else?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

STR posted:

You'll find lower octanes at higher elevations. 91 at a high elevation is just like 93 at a lower elevation.

I don't know the math behind it, but 85 was considered regular where I grew up, 91 was the highest you could get outside of stations near the dragstrip.

Bringing this back because Yellowstone had zero cell service, but I’m aware of that. I’m just saying they ONLY had 91. No 84, 85, 88 etc. single pump 70’s style. I literally had to ask them to turn it on and then also hit the switch outside.

Also after driving around Yellowstone for two days and then to Idaho, my Si averaged a calculated 50.5mpg. Not too shabby. Trip average so far is 42

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
GUYS GUYS GUYS

The 128GB sd card I thought my old cellphone corrupted, losing everything on it, is reading fine on my laptop. I might not lose every single photo and video I've taken since 2014. This is amazing.

(Yes I have set up backups correctly now)

The contents of my 32GB card that I took out of my desktop to put the 128 card in, then accidentally knocked onto the floor with my arm and rolled over at least twice with my desk chair? Absolutely gone forever unfortunately. That one's hosed. I can see the cracks in the silicon die through the cracks in the plastic case. I wish I could even remember what was on it, I'm sure I'll be sad when I do.

Back everything up, people. Murphy is a stone bastard. I always figured my sd cards were safe since I only ever break phones, but they're not. Nearly lost 160GB of my digital existence spanning roughly 2013 through today a week or two ago.

E: one file is failing to read with an I/O error so far, halfway through 70.6GB of actual content on the 128 card. I just hope I don't lose much of it.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 30, 2021

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

StormDrain posted:

So if I have this right, you kept the relationship a secret from your primary partner? Ooof.

Not quite- I probably didn’t write it properly. I was open with my primary partner that I had developed a new love interest and wanted to explore it. What I didn’t do was be open and communicative enough about how it was developing and what was happening, keeping her in the dark, and that’s made her feel excluded and not valued.

quote:

Your friend is so right on that comment.

If I understand the story right, I think it'll be good for both of you to let that relationship go. Hiding your love is thrilling at first but detrimental in the long run.

I feel for you having to be outed as well. Even if it didn't involve your coworker, it's painful. Poly shares the same fate as other non traditional relationships in that people will be rude about it, and they have no reason to be.

I am personally in a poly relationship right now. The tough thing for me is how tough it can be to find a good match, and how tempting it is to get into a relationship that isn't a good match just because it's available. I remain good friends with someone who was not a good romantic match, yet when we were dating it felt great. I've become more selective over the years, and that has helped me from being hurt too badly. It still hurts when someone else decides your relationship is over and it was a surprise.

I’ve been doing a lot of soul searching in the last 48hrs and reaching out to friends who have been through similar things (coming out as bi, even tho they’re in a committed monogamous marriage at the moment) and getting advice. I’ve got so much work to do to make things right in light of what I’ve done, even tho it was not malicious, I’ve hurt people I love and not been honest with people who have nothing but respect for me, and I have to begin to make things right

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

kastein posted:

Back everything up, people. Murphy is a stone bastard. I always figured my sd cards were safe since I only ever break phones, but they're not. Nearly lost 160GB of my digital existence spanning roughly 2013 through today a week or two ago.

E: one file is failing to read with an I/O error so far, halfway through 70.6GB of actual content on the 128 card. I just hope I don't lose much of it.

If you have made it this far through life without ever learning the hard way about always having backups then you were living on borrowed time anyway!
Fingers crossed you get away with it!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I had a proper semi airgapped backup server till 2010, when I started working on houses and cars all the time not computers.

I had some stuff backed up since then but made the conscious decision to not do that with photos and videos I take because the amount of space needed is stupid and I saw sd cards as indestructible micro cards that normally only live inside phones and thus are protected from physical damage, and handle minor water exposure, so no need to worry.

Didn't really expect my phone to suicide my sd card on the way out of my life nor to roll over the other one while trying to recover the first one. Definitely learned something there.

Oh, and the backup app I use on my phone? It's loving stupid and turns out to only back up files it knows the format for. So a ton of stuff that was on my phone - electrical design files, PCB artwork, spreadsheets, etc - it just shrugged and didn't back them up at all. For several years. While I thought it was doing so. Good thing I checked, the phone still boots and I'll be using a better backup system.

So far it looks like I'm losing about 50ish images, most of them 4 year old screenshots that literally don't matter. A few pics of my LS swap that I probably posted on imgur and can easily get back in slightly reduced quality. Other than that, everything is here...

... Except the card I ran over. I don't know what I lost there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You can get archival DVDs, supposedly they last up to 100 years, probably the best way as a hard copy. Right now I have an external SSD with everything backed up but I plan on eventually putting everything on DVDs so my son has something in the future to look through when all the computers eventually take a poo poo.

Yeah it's time consuming but probably worth it in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DVD-R-4-7GB-UltraLife-Archival/dp/B000WTO352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
GUESS WHAT MY FELLOW POSTERS, ITS NOW JULY
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3972148