Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Cats: good
Cars: bad
Sniping two threads in a row: good

Good luck STR!

this is a chat thread for chatting feel free to discuss anything except for the banned topics
banned topics are:
ford maverick vs nissan patrol
holden apollo vs toyota camry
nissan ute vs ford falcon ute
toyota lexcen vs holden commodore
holden nova vs toyota corolla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
JUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Got a roomba, dog tried to eat it. Good start.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

BigPaddy posted:

just wait until your dog has a runny poo poo and the roomba tries to clean it

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This suuuucks. Roombas should not be in the same home as older dogs

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It is mostly on me as I had a radio controlled car that I had him run around the old place and how he thinks anything small that moves on its own is to be chased. I also had him jumping to try and catch a drone but that will be helpful for intercepting amazon drones in the future.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BigPaddy posted:

We only run the roomba in the bedroom due to the dogs. Moose is terrified of the thing, Finn picks it up and carries it around like a trophy.

Hope everyone had a good Memorial Day weekend.
We haven't had insurance chat in a bit so anyone have agreed value on a daily driver? I'm thinking of bringing the E30 and E28 into the occasional daily driver rotation, looks like Grundy somewhat supports it but I need to talk to an agent and clarify.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

The chip shortage is loving wild. 23 new Rav4’s within 100 miles of Houston!

For comparison, there are new 590 CR-V’s, 315 new Equinox’s and 36 new Porsche Macan’s in the same market.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 31, 2021

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Bouillon Rube posted:

For comparison, there are new 590 CR-V’s, 315 new Equinox’s and 36 new Porsche Macan’s in the same market.

Yeah but, how many good cars are for sale?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

big dong wanter posted:

Hey, the base model Macan's are legitimately good vehicles. Not worth MSRP but they are good.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

big dong wanter posted:

There are no good cars, never have been

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

big dong wanter posted:

just wait until your dog has a runny poo poo and the roomba tries to clean it

This sounds like it isn't a good time for anyone involved...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This sounds like it isn't a good time for anyone involved...

Dog poo poo / cat puke, it's a joy either way

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
In on the ground floor

Or in the case of the Roomba,

ground in on the floor

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bouillon Rube posted:

There are no good cars, never have been

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have Hagerty insurance with agreed value on the Alfa and the BMWs, haven’t had to make a claim with them but they are pleasant to deal with and the price is fine. They send a monthly magazine that is legitimately good, too.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Currently trying to get yard work done slowly being driven insane/deaf from cicadas.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rode to/from the grocery store, since it's only 2 1/4 miles each way.

Grabbed spray-on sunblock while there. Thought I grabbed SPF 50. Grabbed SPF 100 (next shelf up, but bottle looked identical aside from the number). Whoops. I DO want a tan, damnit. Oh well, I still bathed in it before I rode back home, so at least I only got about 20 minutes of actual sun exposure. And somehow my hairy as hell legs got sunburned. :mad: That's a new one, I can't ever get even a tan on my legs most of the time.

We have sunblock lotion at home, but not spray (I prefer the spray). And this week is 25% off all store brand items for employees, plus it had a $2 off coupon on top of that. $8 can turned into $4. :smuggo:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 31, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bouillon Rube posted:

I'm currently waiting for a Tacoma to come from San Antonio. Put a down payment on it at the beginning of April, found out that it will in fact get made "this time around" at the beginning of May. Still have to wait for it until the second or so week of July. But hey, its AHEAD of schedule:toot:. It was supposed to come the third week......
I looked at every dealer I could think of in Southern Ontario, and a bunch in Northern/ Northwest Ontario. Most dealers have none in stock and the one that actually had the one I want (cab/colour, transmission etc) was in Thunder Bay which is about 2 days drive from here.

STR posted:

Rode to/from the grocery store, since it's only 2 1/4 miles each way.

Grabbed spray-on sunblock while there. Thought I grabbed SPF 50. Grabbed SPF 100 (next shelf up, but bottle looked identical aside from the number). Whoops. I DO want a tan, damnit. Oh well, I still bathed in it before I rode back home, so at least I only got about 20 minutes of actual sun exposure. And somehow my hairy as hell legs got sunburned. :mad: That's a new one, I can't ever get even a tan on my legs most of the time.

We have sunblock lotion at home, but not spray (I prefer the spray). And this week is 25% off all store brand items for employees, plus it had a $2 off coupon on top of that. $8 can turned into $4. :smuggo:
Vitamin D is good for you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm Irish (so pasty white and a bit heavy); I'm also apparently related to both Casper and Chewbacca; my skin is drat near translucent under all the hair. Even if I wear any kind of sunblock, the first time I'm out in the sun for the season, I look like a boiled lobster. Usually my forearms get a good tan, my upper arms burn, my legs stay paper white, my knees tan/sometimes burn. Even my forearms are borderline 2nd degree sunburn right now. I'm very late to the sunburn party thanks to working nights, but I'm off work until late June to deal with rehab. At the moment, that mostly consists of 3 hours a day of Zoom meetings with a pretty expensive (if I didn't have drat good insurance) intensive outpatient provider, a 30-60 minute meeting with a counselor, plus a couple of AA meetings a day, and have to swing by work for drug/alcohol tests at least once a week.

Usually once I get that first burn in (and this one was pretty bad), I wind up with a pretty solid tan that just gets darker through the season (you know, when I don't work nights). I definitely did not mean to get 100, I was hoping more for 35. 50 was the lowest they had in sweatproof*, and I thought I'd grabbed from that shelf. :doh:

I'm also very lacking in the other kind of Vitamin D this year. :sigh: :awesome:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 31, 2021

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Went to the local drag strip for import tuner day. Of course there were still douchebags that showed up with a vette, two camaros, multiple mustangs and challengers, and a chrysler 300. Also teslas. But on the flip side it was a great day of racing, my friend's kid is super in to cars so he wanted to go for the dB drags and exhaust pop contest even more than the racing. What's really great about it is he's got severe ADHD but he will sit and watch drag racing for hours. It was a very good time. Even my buddy's wife got super in to it, we started joking about getting her out there in her ecoboost F150. Coolest car of the day was probably the 7 second 240z.

Love being in the PNW again too. It was a nice mellow 80 degrees and even though I only put sunblock on my face I mildly burnt my forearms and neck after 5 hours in the sun. In Denver I'd get this burnt WITH sunblock on.

Looked in to it and sadly there are no top fuel events around here. Best we get is alcohol funny cars and dragsters. Definitely gonna check that out.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

LloydDobler posted:

my friend's kid is super in to cars so he wanted to go for the dB drags and exhaust pop contest even more than the racing. What's really great about it is he's got severe ADHD but he will sit and watch drag racing for hours.

Speaking from experience, you need to get your friends kid a rotary.

That sounds awesome and our local Race Wars was also just put on the calendar for this year again, so like you I am pumped.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LloydDobler posted:

Love being in the PNW again too. It was a nice mellow 80 degrees and even though I only put sunblock on my face I mildly burnt my forearms and neck after 5 hours in the sun. In Denver I'd get this burnt WITH sunblock on.

I was in the sun for 2 hours the other day, and can't sleep comfortably in any position except on my stomach right now. :argh: :fuckoff: This was in the (upper) 80s; it was supposed to be overcast and drizzling all day. It... was the opposite.

Sounds like an awesome event aside from the douchebags. And Ecoboost F-150s are shockingly quick for what they are; stepdad has one with the 2.7 and it really surprised me, it's a massive upgrade in the "slam you into the back window" department vs his old 5.4 F-150 (though the 5.4 could probably pull a house off its foundation without abusing the poo poo out of the torque converter). Those turbos spool so drat quick too, but it does run out of steam at the top end. I wouldn't want to own one long term (not past 100k anyway), but for a truck they scoot decent. Wouldn't mind trying one with the 3.5 Ecoboost.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 31, 2021

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My roomba does a very good job of finding every loose cable and cord in my household. Also a master at getting stuck under the recliner.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Clearly, you need a better Roomba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFcsLRkFwsY

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

STR posted:

I was in the sun for 2 hours the other day, and can't sleep comfortably in any position except on my stomach right now. :argh: :fuckoff: This was in the (upper) 80s; it was supposed to be overcast and drizzling all day. It... was the opposite.

Ooh, that looks like a spicy one. My upper arm burn from last week's sun is finally in the "tan but peely" phase, which is still a massive improvement over previous years where I was pale 365.25 days a year! :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jesus, is it really June already? This year's got me all hosed up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

big dong wanter posted:

this is a chat thread for chatting feel free to discuss anything except for the banned topics
banned topics are:
ford maverick vs nissan patrol
holden apollo vs toyota camry
nissan ute vs ford falcon ute
toyota lexcen vs holden commodore
holden nova vs toyota corolla

I'll allow this to stand. Beware discussing banned topics!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Jesus, is it really June already? This year's got me all hosed up.

Nope, still may. The drat aussies have done it to us again. :argh:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 1, 2021

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I’m posting from space. Kinda. Imgur won’t let me upload the pics, but we’re three days on Starlink so far and it works? It’s got issues, but going from nothing to something that works 95% of the time is spectacular.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I may have smoked a bowl too many so I too am posting from space :okpos:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bought new bike helmet yesterday (been riding without one....)

Tested it today. It works. Bike's fine aside from the front wheel needing to be trued up a little (dropped it after I stood it up with the front brake, wheel barely touched the car). Newish Explorer has a helmet-shaped and fist-shaped dent in its fender, and foot-shaped dent in the back door (the latter two showed up when they tried to take off into ~60 mph traffic, no idea how those dents got there :iiam:). Driver learned a lot of new naughty words from someone.

Need a new new helmet now. And some ibuprofin. Yes, I got the plates. Yes, there's a police report. EMS showed up. Rode the bike the rest of the way home on a slightly wobbly front wheel.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 1, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gotta say that the crackle and pop tunes on cars is now worse than all of the cheap fart pipe exhausts I remember hearing from the late 90s-2008 era

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

STR posted:

Bought new bike helmet yesterday (been riding without one....)

Tested it today. It works. Bike's fine aside from the front wheel needing to be trued up a little (dropped it after I stood it up with the front brake). Newish Explorer has a helmet-shaped and fist-shaped dent in its fender, and foot-shaped dent in the back door (the latter two showed up when they tried to take off into ~60 mph traffic, no idea how those dents got there :iiam:). Driver learned a lot of new naughty words.

Need a new new helmet now. And some ibuprofin. Yes, I got the plates. Yes, there's a police report. EMS showed up. Rode the bike the rest of the way home on a slightly wobbly front wheel.

I'mma wrap you and cat both in bubble wrap, jesus christ dude. :stonk:

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'll allow this to stand. Beware discussing banned topics!

Don't worry fellow posters, we can still talk about the most important battle in motoring
Holden Astra vs Nissan pulsar

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

gotta say that the crackle and pop tunes on cars is now worse than all of the cheap fart pipe exhausts I remember hearing from the late 90s-2008 era

I will take both of these over the straight-piped VQs I hear regularly

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

big dong wanter posted:

Don't worry fellow posters, we can still talk about the most important battle in motoring
Holden Astra vs Nissan pulsar

Is the Pulsar a GTiR?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BraveUlysses posted:

There's some clown down the block from me with a newer GTI with a ridiculous tune. Sounds like pure rear end.

To the guys talking about Polar water in the last thread - good lookin' out. Picked up a 12er of the black cherry on Saturday and it's gonna be gone before I know it.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BraveUlysses posted:

That is fair I do cringe a little at the crackle/pop that Lamborghini put into race mode (it's not there in strada). Wish I could disable it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

It's true. I can't understand the number of luxury high end cars with turbo'd engines I hear go by that somebody paid to have the same exhaust tone and drone as a 2005 Camry with no muffler.