Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

With KBM your movement is paired with the camera such that fine movement can be done by holding W to move forward and then steering with the mouse. Though I'm not even sure that comes up as often in ER as it does in, say, DS1.

Otherwise I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be missing from analog movement.

There's a modifier key that keeps you at walk speed. Though in ER crouching accomplishes most of what you need anyway.

yeah but its like every 3rd person game thats made for controller: the camera lags a little compared to "true" MKB, and you have to hold W to actually turn in a tiny circle instead of spinning on your axis with just your mouse. Otherwise you just move the camera.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm not following what you mean.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Buschmaki posted:

They should really stop making respecs limited by item. It sucks having to NG+++ or scour a wiki to find a guy who drops stuff just cause I wanna do a diff pvp build at endgame

I agree that respecs should be unlimited at some point, but if you’re doing pvp get that wiki guy to drop you everything once and then back up your save. Being able to reload whenever you run out of some consumable or want to change things up or try playing at a different level for a while makes a big difference.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not following what you mean.

Boot up a FPS or a similar game made for wasd + MKB. If you face in a direction with your mouse and hit W you immediately start walking in that direction because your character faces that direction just with mouse movement. You turn with the mouse.

In a 3rd person game you turn with WASD. All the mouse does is move the camera, not your character. When you 180 the camera your character isnt facing that direction, they have to move forward to turn. On an analog stick this isnt a problem, they expect you to flick the stick to turn. On 8 direction WASD its clunky.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm still not sure I get it. "When you 180 the camera your character isnt facing that direction, they have to move forward to turn." They...do? I don't really get what this means and it doesn't sound like how KBM works in Souls.

Edit: Like if your overall point is "pushing an analog stick in a single direction is more elegant than combining WASD keys together" then...yeah, obviously.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 26, 2024

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
what 0 maidens does to a mfer..

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You're playing it wrong.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
keyboard and mouse is probably optimal because of all the additional buttons and hotkeys you could set up. it would take adjusting to moving with the camera but i think it probably offers the most precision

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dyz posted:

Boot up a FPS or a similar game made for wasd + MKB. If you face in a direction with your mouse and hit W you immediately start walking in that direction because your character faces that direction just with mouse movement. You turn with the mouse.

In a 3rd person game you turn with WASD. All the mouse does is move the camera, not your character. When you 180 the camera your character isnt facing that direction, they have to move forward to turn. On an analog stick this isnt a problem, they expect you to flick the stick to turn. On 8 direction WASD its clunky.

believe it or not, it works the same on a gamepad. turn your camera, and then press forward on the control stick. your animations for movement will be identical with both control sets

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The worst part about controllers is doing that weird thing with your hands when you're trying to sprint across an arena and also look over your shoulder at the boss or dragon or whatever.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

keyboard and mouse is probably optimal because of all the additional buttons and hotkeys you could set up. it would take adjusting to moving with the camera but i think it probably offers the most precision

i've always considered it the better option almost solely due to the superiority of hotkey setups over the d-pad when it comes to maintaining full mobility and camera control without having to crane your poor index finger down from the bumper

i think a lot of the weird "you're playing X souls with kb+M?? buh????" posting came from gaming boomers who'd primarily played PC games before making full use of WASD-adjacent keys was standard practice, so the idea of using Q/E/R/F instead of number keys for gameplay purposes was a foreign concept. i know there's still plenty of people out there who still play MMOs hammering the 1-5 keys because it's what WoW taught them when adjacent letter keys are vastly less stressful on your fingers in the long term

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

QERF have never been used before.

Back in my day when I had to reload I was lost!! :lol: Open a door? Ummm, hello - how?!?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

scary ghost dog posted:

But... you don't need all the extra buttons and hotkeys? The quick menu is wonderful for torrent/estus/estus/flask, which frees up the situational items/summons to be toggled through. Toggling spells can be a pain, but long-pressing up or down resets you to the beginning, and only a few spells need to be spammed anyway. Attacks are nicely set up on the shoulder buttons and can be used easily, while the sticks give you freedom of motion with both movement and vision simultaneously.

Like there are some games that are objectively better on M+KB, and some games that feel much better on controller, and ER is one of those games that feels so much better on controller that it's not even a comparison.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Kb m astonishment for souls 100% just comes from the era of dark souls 1 where kb m was atrocious and needed a mod to be usable.

And of course because it's WEIRD LOL

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

It also continues to be funny that playing with keyboard and mouse is seen as more degenerate and impossible than Donkey Konga drums or a DDR pad or whatever.

souls games are borderline unplayable with a controller and actually unplayable on a keyboard :v:

I did try for a while because my controller broke, I actually went out and got a new controller rather than keep doing it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

QERF have never been used before.

Back in my day when I had to reload I was lost!! :lol: Open a door? Ummm, hello - how?!?

automatic reload and relatively fewer interactables meant that you were using them much more infrequently compared to something like scrolling through weapon lists or using abilities. OW and valorant didn't necessarily invent the paradigm, but they've definitely popularized the idea of using adjacent keys for more frequent or intense gameplay functions compared to before

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

But... you don't need all the extra buttons and hotkeys? The quick menu is wonderful for torrent/estus/estus/flask, which frees up the situational items/summons to be toggled through. Toggling spells can be a pain, but long-pressing up or down resets you to the beginning, and only a few spells need to be spammed anyway. Attacks are nicely set up on the shoulder buttons and can be used easily, while the sticks give you freedom of motion with both movement and vision simultaneously.

Like there are some games that are objectively better on M+KB, and some games that feel much better on controller, and ER is one of those games that feels so much better on controller that it's not even a comparison.

sure, but if you want to have six-eyed optimized perfect play for some reason, kb+m is likely ideal. have you tried pressing a face button to dodge, or use an item, or toggle through spells and items, while moving the camera to track multiple targets, while sprinting? even claw grip can only get you so far

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SHISHKABOB posted:

Kb m astonishment for souls 100% just comes from the era of dark souls 1 where kb m was atrocious and needed a mod to be usable.

And of course because it's WEIRD LOL

Not at all. M+KB is great when you need lots of hotkeys and/or precision aiming. Its primary drawback is that WASD isn't as granular as a control stick, so you can't move at specific angles or move slower/faster on the fly.

Controller is great when you need that granularity of movement, and when you have a few keys that you're going to hit quite frequently. Its primary drawbacks are a lack of hotkeys and less precise aiming.

ER and other Souls games need relatively few hotkeys and don't require precise aiming. They benefit greatly from movement using a control stick. The primary advantages of the KB+M are largely irrelevant, and the disadvantage of KB+M is pronounced. So why would I use KB+M?

scary ghost dog posted:

sure, but if you want to have six-eyed optimized perfect play for some reason, kb+m is likely ideal. have you tried pressing a face button to dodge, or use an item, or toggle through spells and items, while moving the camera to track multiple targets, while sprinting? even claw grip can only get you so far

I move the camera while hitting face buttons or between hitting face buttons. It's never been an issue. Same with toggling spells, though I typically get my spells ready before an encounter, not during. You just don't need to do all of that because of the nature of the Souls games.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 26, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

there's almost no precise movement requirements in ER beyond a couple platforming/ledge hugging scenarios, and those rare few times can be easily navigated with camera movement and the dedicated walk key

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SHISHKABOB posted:

The worst part about controllers is doing that weird thing with your hands when you're trying to sprint across an arena and also look over your shoulder at the boss or dragon or whatever.

Not if you have big gangly hands like myself

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah DS1 made me get my first PC gamepad and also scared me off ever trying KBM in a From game again.

Cursed, -max HP rear end setup. It's probably fine these days on later games.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

People are out there doing RL1 hitless runs with everything under the sun for input and nerds in here are arguing which is better, KBM or controller.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Not everyone has yet opened their eyes to the bongos.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I play with special finger tracking software that converts the minuscule but precise movements of my pointer finger into inputs.

Project Corhyn does the job so far but isnt stable enough to even be considered a beta, really doesn't handle unexpected inputs well

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Vermain posted:

there's almost no precise movement requirements in ER beyond a couple platforming/ledge hugging scenarios, and those rare few times can be easily navigated with camera movement and the dedicated walk key

tell me you dont pvp without telling me you dont pvp

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vermain posted:

i've always considered it the better option almost solely due to the superiority of hotkey setups over the d-pad when it comes to maintaining full mobility and camera control without having to crane your poor index finger down from the bumper
ever since ds1 I have played with dodge/run set to left bumper and I do not understand why more people do not do this. a face button for dodging loving sucks when you may also want to use right stick at the same time.

scary ghost dog posted:

why would you claw grip!! just rebind it you don't even need a third party program or steam controller settings to do it anymore!!!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LazyMaybe posted:

ever since ds1 I have played with dodge/run set to left bumper and I do not understand why more people do not do this. a face button for dodging loving sucks when you may also want to use right stick at the same time.

i'm a convert to the church of rebinding spacebar in MMOs to whatever my most commonly used ability is and people act like i've just told them i drink my own urine whenever i mention it

people get really stuck up on inefficient control schemes due to familiarity and a belief that they'll never be able to unlearn previous muscle memory, but it's really a much more seamless process than you might expect outside of a couple awkward days

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wow pest threads really chew through Placidusax.

Don't get me wrong I still had to fight him about 10 tens but every time I almost got him so it still wasn't easy (I'm not very good) but compared to my last playthrough it was much easier.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

i think a lot of the weird "you're playing X souls with kb+M?? buh????" posting came from gaming boomers who'd primarily played PC games before making full use of WASD-adjacent keys was standard practice, so the idea of using Q/E/R/F instead of number keys for gameplay purposes was a foreign concept. i know there's still plenty of people out there who still play MMOs hammering the 1-5 keys because it's what WoW taught them when adjacent letter keys are vastly less stressful on your fingers in the long term

I think you'll find that the gaming boomers are the ones who prefer mouse and keys over a controller.

git gud, scrub

never give up, skeleton!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wow pest threads really chew through Placidusax.

Don't get me wrong I still had to fight him about 10 tens but every time I almost got him so it still wasn't easy (I'm not very good) but compared to my last playthrough it was much easier.

Having never used Pest Threads before, I'm finding it's disgusting for any large sized enemy once I figured out the spacing.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

control schemes peaked with goldeneye 64

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

why would you claw grip!! just rebind it you don't even need a third party program or steam controller settings to do it anymore!!!

no matter what i have my buttons bound to, im going to want to be able to press any given button while also manipulating both joysticks. therefore i will inevitably need claw grip

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Playing on a controller with backpads feels like cheating. It’s honestly so nice.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Backpads have become essential for me. I bind my left one to lock-on, and the right to roll. Specifically, an auto-release command so the delay between buttondown and buttonrelease is zero - instant roll. I use the standard face button roll just for sprinting.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

scary ghost dog posted:

no matter what i have my buttons bound to, im going to want to be able to press any given button while also manipulating both joysticks. therefore i will inevitably need claw grip
Regardless the dodge/run button is easily the most frequent of the face button actions you're going to want to press while using right stick, and rebinding it to a bumper is a huge improvement.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

tell me you dont pvp without telling me you dont pvp

im gonna pvp with one of these

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

a primate posted:

control schemes peaked with goldeneye 64

My friends all hated it when I set my controller to emulate dual stick controls, which didn't even exist yet IIRC. Using two was even better but not always feasible.

I'm a trailblazer.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

Regardless the dodge/run button is easily the most frequent of the face button actions you're going to want to press while using right stick, and rebinding it to a bumper is a huge improvement.

wrong, because the bumpers correlate to left and right arm movements, so switching a bumper and face button causes psychic damage

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Get a gamepad with backpaddles, and bind them to stick click actuations, its a huge upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Aside from the Steam Controller I’m not sure there are any back-paddle controllers that can be mapped to something other than face buttons, unless the game’s own config covers it