Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Dustin being this good really shows how elite & durable Max is, going 5 rounds

That was the fight that really woke me up to how good Dustin is, because he gassed against Max, which is usually how Max beats people, but even gassed, DP was a deadly accurate and powerful striker. That was an amazing performance. He was so very well drilled for that.

And then Khabib threw him round like a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Veteran moves:

I've got mates who only started watching MMA from the Nurmagomedov fight and the iconic McGregor image for them is probably him dazed, grounded, and mouth agape lol

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Snowman_McK posted:

That was the fight that really woke me up to how good Dustin is, because he gassed against Max, which is usually how Max beats people, but even gassed, DP was a deadly accurate and powerful striker. That was an amazing performance. He was so very well drilled for that.

And then Khabib threw him round like a child.

I think Dustin was sick the Max fight, he was spitting snot the whole fight

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

love to see it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Troy Queef posted:

can someone GIF Poirier doing the strut

with bonus "suck a big dick!"
https://i.imgur.com/MlQ5r3O.mp4

one more -- when Dustin looks down at the end and confirms to his corner about the break
(you have to open the mp4 in a separate tab for audio, maybe)
https://i.imgur.com/HADPQrI.mp4

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Still laughing ‘bout this.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So Greg Hardy is done right? We're not going to see him in a fight like that anymore on PPV?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

shyduck posted:

So Greg Hardy is done right? We're not going to see him in a fight like that anymore on PPV?

Dana will have him crush cans in fight nights and prelims for a while, but no they’re probably not done with him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's hard to say re: Hardy. From what I've seen over the years fighters are more likely to get demoralized by the kind of beating Tybura gave him - which was sustained and painful and several minutes of horrible, breathless suffering - than what Tuivasa did - which was instantaneous and probably entirely painless, and came when Hardy thought he was winning.

So if the UFC thinks they can make more money from promoting Hardy than from a random bottom-quartile heavyweight like Parker Porter or Carlos Felipe, and Hardy wants to keep fighting, he'll stick around.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
want to reiterate how awesome it was to see this card in an aussie pub for tai KOing the most hated fighter in MMA and also the result of the main card

also kinda unrelated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLfbuTZTynw

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
There's always room on a ppv card for a heavyweight with name recognition

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

why is this man going after a standing moonsault in UFC

https://twitter.com/robbiebarstool/status/1414030918243651586?s=21

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

For the free eye poke

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

shyduck posted:

i was watching luke thomas's post fight thing and he pointed out that all of the dudes greg hardy has won against were cut from the ufc. i have no idea how this guy keeps getting on main cards

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Greg Hardy is a Dana White pet project so it wouldn't surprise me if they keep him on just because some people know his name and Dana wants to keep flogging the horse out of spite. I mean, Mike Perry is 1 for his last 5 with a weight miss, a domestic and an assault arrest in the same timeframe and he's still on the roster.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Either Dana doesn't look at any available metrics for fighter popularity, or he does and Hardy (and Paige, Sage, O'Malley, etc.) are much bigger draws than we think.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

kimbo305 posted:

Either Dana doesn't look at any available metrics for fighter popularity, or he does and Hardy (and Paige, Sage, O'Malley, etc.) are much bigger draws than we think.

I think you’re confusing being a draw with being popular or liked among MMA fans.

The UFC is a small potatoes sport with maybe 10 fighters who draw any sort of casual fan, and Dana’s desperate to do anything that will expand the viewer base. People like Hardy, Sage, and Paige are sideshows, but they got their pushes in MMA because they had some basic notoriety outside of the standard low to mid card fighter.

O’Malley is totally Dana trying to be Vince McMahon and creating a brand based on what he sees as a guy who could be big, but tbf I’ve been a fan since he cut this promo https://youtu.be/mqVgeUN10ms

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

I think you’re confusing being a draw with being popular or liked among MMA fans.

I'm not confused about the distinction, but I'm genuinely not sure what sure what kinda volumes Greg Hardy draws in, versus say, Nate Diaz.
The consensus here is that is Nate popular enough with MMA fans that he can broadly get PPV buys. It seems obvious he's selling more than Hardy, but who knows.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think the overwhelming success of the Brock Lesnar Experiment gave them tunnel vision. he brought in so many fans from wwe, and if we ignore that greg hardy is nothing like brock lesnar, why there's no reason why tons of nfl fans wouldn't start watching ufc in the same way.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

i think the overwhelming success of the Brock Lesnar Experiment gave them tunnel vision. he brought in so many fans from wwe, and if we ignore that greg hardy is nothing like brock lesnar, why there's no reason why tons of nfl fans wouldn't start watching ufc in the same way.

yeah greg hardy had like one good season almost ten years ago now and was mostly known for beating up his girlfriend. it's not like if gronk became an mma fighter

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

CarlCX posted:

Greg Hardy is a Dana White pet project so it wouldn't surprise me if they keep him on just because some people know his name and Dana wants to keep flogging the horse out of spite. I mean, Mike Perry is 1 for his last 5 with a weight miss, a domestic and an assault arrest in the same timeframe and he's still on the roster.

I mean outside of stipe and francis the heavyweight division is awful talent wise. I don't think it hurts right now to have hardy around. He can still have success and rack up some wins just based on his size alone given how weak the division is.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hardy is 4-4-1 in the UFC now, and not a single one of those wins is still in the UFC. I would say his track record so far indicates that he actually can't rack up wins just based on his size and how weak the division is

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not confused about the distinction, but I'm genuinely not sure what sure what kinda volumes Greg Hardy draws in, versus say, Nate Diaz.
The consensus here is that is Nate popular enough with MMA fans that he can broadly get PPV buys. It seems obvious he's selling more than Hardy, but who knows.

I don’t think they’re done with Hardy but he’s probably not much of a draw anymore. I’m sure he generated some interest initially just because of the curiosity factor. If he was able to become an elite fighter he probably would have generated some views, but getting KO’d by Tai was probably the beginning of the end for him. I assume they’ll let him crush some more cans to see if it goes anywhere because it’s relatively low risk.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hardy vs tuivasa was what happens when a guy who likes to beat people up meets a guy who likes to fight

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

yeah greg hardy had like one good season almost ten years ago now and was mostly known for beating up his girlfriend. it's not like if gronk became an mma fighter

it's not even just as a draw, brock had both legit combat sports experience and was imo incredibly well suited to mma. he gets made fun of for his striking defense, the helicopter .gif, etc. but he had a really good mind for attacking and bullying people in a fight and was completely fearless when he was confident. it was really fuckin compelling to watch.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
his losses were only to mythical fighters: peak roid overeem, working knees cain, and frank mir off his back lol

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, the whole "brock's a fake fighter who can't handle getting hit" thing was always weird given he's the only person Shane Carwin ever cleanly hit who didn't explode into a ball of dust

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

brock lesnar is a fake fighter who got a tummy ache so bad he ran away from the sport after he got kicked once by Alistair Overeem

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The brockcopter isn't the lasting memory for me. It's when he swings this wild backfist while kneeling with his back to the cage or something close to that. He's, at that point, just an animal in full fight or flight mode trying to get Cain away from him.

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, the whole "brock's a fake fighter who can't handle getting hit" thing was always weird given he's the only person Shane Carwin ever cleanly hit who didn't explode into a ball of dust

Brock only survived against Carwin because Carwin pulled a Dada 5000 and died mid fight.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Brock only survived against Carwin because Carwin pulled a Dada 5000 and died mid fight.

I mean beating up Brock Lesnar while holding your breath will do that to ya. I miss ol hamhands. World class nice dude too. Even back in his impossibly juiced Ron waterman protege days he was cool as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Didn't see anyone post this, but it's great: Gilbert Burns dropping himself with a punch. https://twitter.com/LegsMcfeet/status/1414259740490833920