Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

And Tyler Too! posted:

have you tried applying for bofa?

I'm pre-approved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I work for two companies at the same time. They are both vendors to Walmart but one is consumer packaged goods and the other is live plants. One job is remote and the other is onsite. I miss being fully remote but it's nice collecting two paychecks - although both pay less than I'm worth (a million bux) it is not that bad being in an office tacked on to a 500 acre grow-op full of pretty flowers.

I can't use linkedin because I will post rude things on success memes and threaten Goldman Sachs analysts and the whole site is just a spam farm. But indeed is cool. The keywords that worked for me on indeed were: logistics, supply-chain, EDI, procurement, crisis management. A lot of these vendor type companies are hiring and if you can fucks with excel and bullshit face to face, it shouldn't be too hard to get a job like "operations manager".

Oh, also, might be a bit late for you at 34 but people have done it and you'll get pensioned; UP loving S. I worked preload and the benefits alone were worth 30 grand, plus they did tuition reimbursement and paid for half of my jerk off degree from Rutgers. But you have to put in a few years to become a driver which is a really good living. All of the drivers my dad retired with in 2k1 were literal multi-millionaires but that was probably from private shares going public. I think they still give employees stock tho. UPS was set up as a totally marxist organization and I love it. Also, being a teamster rules because you can tell your supervisor to suck my dick you fuckman and they can get fired but you can't. Lots of swearing. Sperm burper.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
you could become a garbage man OP then every day would be garbage day

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
become the Pope

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Everyone giving advice about working for others and "finding a job", but no one taking any consideration of the kinds of skills, talents, training (or lack of) and most importantly, personal interests in fields of employment of the people looking.

1) do what you are interested in doing. Working in a field that you dislike just for a paycheck is bad advice. Seems like most folks asking for ideas are unhappy with their work lives and need to do something new.

2) leverage your past experience in a new field. Get trained if you lack experience. Simple. Otherwise fake it until you make it. Confidence is the key.

No one is going to just give you a job or decide a career path for you, you have to be motivated to want it and do it, which involves effort on your part.

Maybe stop looking around for work and start working for yourself. It's never simpler in the modern age to do anything and earn money doing it.

I learned working for myself was rewarding and profitable, yes there were rough patches that sucked and mistakes were made. I went from working with AAA video games to running ATV tours in Hawaii, a very strange set of circumstances led me down this path, but it's always been up to me to decide my path. I had to learn alot of new skills, but alot of past experiences do come in useful in many ways.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 14, 2021

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Have you thought about being a garbage man?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Sid Vicious posted:

legit dude look into dog walking, see if there is a local service hiring because theyll take a comission but insure you while working and its very satisfying

Yo I legit need more information about this!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Saalkin posted:

no thought needed. it just comes naturally

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Any company that does field service (and the are hundreds in CA) is well within your skill set. Cognizant, Schneider Electric, Siemens, Verizon, etc. and even the smaller operations need coordinators at the dispatch and office-wide level.

The above companies are just examples, you will find many more to your liking if you look around.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

This seems like a cool job:

e: if you click the professionals thing at the top there's a "Pelvic Floor Exercise Certification" you can get, probably get one of those rad vagina coach t-shirts with it. Then you can go door to door, build a new business from the ground up.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 14, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
put me in coach!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm a goon who needs a job please give me a job for a goon who needs one tia

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Park/Forest service jobs are not for everyone and you really need to think about how much time you actually want to be spending outdoors, climbing through and cutting down brush, or dealing with park visitors.

If that sounds good to you though I would apply, you can make deec cash and then you have an off season you can gently caress around with.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Internetjack posted:

I get to hit 50 later this year. Trust me, you are young.

i'm hoping when i hit 50 i just bounce right off

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

There's actually a job called "chicken sexing" which sounded like it was for me, but it's actually just determining if chicks are male or female :(

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If you learn to bartend or wait tables. You can then pretty much go to any city you want and get a job right away and start taking home cash everyday, don't have to wait 2-3 weeks for the 1st paycheck to not sleep in your car.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

vaginite posted:

There's actually a job called "chicken sexing" which sounded like it was for me, but it's actually just determining if chicks are male or female :(

Better luck next time, Gonzo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vaginite posted:

also it's all intuition and none of the people who are fast at it can really explain how they do it

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

The Bloop posted:

also it's all intuition and none of the people who are fast at it can really explain how they do it

What?? You just look to see if there’s a big swinging dick or a big swinging…cloaca, I assume!

edit: I don’t really know anything about chicken anatomy

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

vaginite posted:

This is the job where all the boy chickens get chucked into a wood chipper right?
What’s the pay like?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Try finance, OP.

Most brokerage firms are desperate for people right now. They generally won’t require you to have any experience and they will pay for you to become licensed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kntfkr posted:

Oh, also, might be a bit late for you at 34 but people have done it and you'll get pensioned; UP loving S. I worked preload and the benefits alone were worth 30 grand, plus they did tuition reimbursement and paid for half of my jerk off degree from Rutgers. But you have to put in a few years to become a driver which is a really good living. All of the drivers my dad retired with in 2k1 were literal multi-millionaires but that was probably from private shares going public. I think they still give employees stock tho. UPS was set up as a totally marxist organization and I love it. Also, being a teamster rules because you can tell your supervisor to suck my dick you fuckman and they can get fired but you can't. Lots of swearing. Sperm burper.

Yeah I'm gonna look into this one a little more. I generally have heady pretty good stuff about working for UPS. I'm a little unclear on their structure though and what jobs one should apply for depending on where they want to end up. I think personally I'd like to be one of the city mail deliverers. From what I can they generally park at a block then walk around making all the individual delivers. They San Diego got it made from what I could tell, mostly walking around all day in the generally great weather.

Saalkin posted:

Tbh, office work already hits my limit for physical inactivity. But at least there you can often find an excuse to stretch bit or take a short walk or whatever. I think I'd hate any job where "drive this truck around all day" is the primary work descriptor.

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Any company that does field service (and the are hundreds in CA) is well within your skill set. Cognizant, Schneider Electric, Siemens, Verizon, etc. and even the smaller operations need coordinators at the dispatch and office-wide level.

The above companies are just examples, you will find many more to your liking if you look around.

This is a good thing to point out. I don't think I'd have thought of those kinds of places on my own. They're so out of mind for people who aren't in those industries already. But it makes sense!

LuckyCat posted:

Try finance, OP.

Most brokerage firms are desperate for people right now. They generally won’t require you to have any experience and they will pay for you to become licensed.

This won't fly just because I have an intense dislike for the financial world, generally. No way, mang. But if brokerage firms generally are in a personnel bind and making efforts to get people into the field this could be a really good lead for other goons!

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 14, 2021

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I read that a lot of apprenticeships won't take you if you have degree? Is that true? I'm a computer toucher (jr) but Ive considered becoming an electrician so I can one day make robots.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Mozi posted:

i'm hoping when i hit 50 i just bounce right off

I plan to punch 50 straight in the face and then grow old and die.

Just kidding, I'm going to be around for another 50 years. Can you imagine the posts I'll be making then?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Also my mom was a sub teacher and it seemed an ok way to make money if you have a car and can tolerate kids. Very flexible

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I read that a lot of apprenticeships won't take you if you have degree? Is that true? I'm a computer toucher (jr) but Ive considered becoming an electrician so I can one day make robots.

nah. My brother has some bullshit degree in Environmental Resource Management which amounts to diddly and squat. He did get lucky and had a friend that was actually a master electrician and took him on as an apprentice doing residential and commercial wiring. That's where he learned clean wiring, and he skated by for years without any certifications because he was good, he trained his teams well, and inspectors got to the point that they would see his name on a permit and be all, "oh we don't need to inspect that, its an install led by (brother)."

He did the journeyman certification in the last two years so he could sell himself around and make more money. It paid off day one after he got it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Poker Party posted:

Tbh, office work already hits my limit for physical inactivity. But at least there you can often find an excuse to stretch bit or take a short walk or whatever. I think I'd hate any job where "drive this truck around all day" is the primary work descriptor.

close friend of mine is a garbage man and its a very physically demanding job, depending on what assignment you have. Riding on the back of the truck and picking up lawn waste is worlds different than driving a truck through onepercenterville and using a robot arm to dump their recycle bins

edit: and if you are a n00b at it, you will get a very physical job first in any case

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Bloop posted:

close friend of mine is a garbage man and its a very physically demanding job, depending on what assignment you have. Riding on the back of the truck and picking up lawn waste is worlds different than driving a truck through onepercenterville and using a robot arm to dump their recycle bins

edit: and if you are a n00b at it, you will get a very physical job first in any case

Ok that's true. Most garbage collection I've seen is just "the robot arm truck" cruising around. But I know the guys doing commercial/industrial areas at least generally have to roll those big dumpsters around. Presumably there are other route types as well. Not sure I've ever seen a lawn waste picker. Are there places where you can just leave big bags out of yard waste lying on the lawn or something and the waste services company will just come get it???

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Poker Party posted:

Ok that's true. Most garbage collection I've seen is just "the robot arm truck" cruising around. But I know the guys doing commercial/industrial areas at least generally have to roll those big dumpsters around. Presumably there are other route types as well. Not sure I've ever seen a lawn waste picker. Are there places where you can just leave big bags out of yard waste lying on the lawn or something and the waste services company will just come get it???

Yes, in the city I live in you can leave X amount every week and they will get it. Bagged, piled, chopped, whatever.

If it's too big or too much they will leave the rest, it's really up to discretion. Apparently a lot of people run out and are like "I'll give you $20 and a cold gatorade if you take it all" which of course they then do.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

What?? You just look to see if there’s a big swinging dick or a big swinging…cloaca, I assume!

edit: I don’t really know anything about chicken anatomy

I guess chickens are weird abominations that don't grow their dick & balls 'til later so there's more to it than just looking at their crotch.

Dear Watson posted:

This is the job where all the boy chickens get chucked into a wood chipper right?
What’s the pay like?

I'm not sure I quit pretty fast when I realize there wasn't gonna be any chicken loving.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
If you have a degree and experience doing administrative work, Apple One is a temp agency in San Diego that has temp to hire positions likely in your field. There's also a thriving gig economy.

If you have housing with friends here then you'll be fine so long as they can put up with your snaketits. There are not a lot of good places to stay here. I pay 1500 for a studio next to downtown, and I'm glad for it.

What area are you moving to, how willing to commute are you, are you willing to do gig work, how do you feel about dishwashing, what's your degree in specifically and is it a bachelors are all good questions.
Go to Apple One is the answer to most of them. Do it before the sweet tit of Grandpa Joe runs dry and you face massive competition (supposedly).

Generally pleasant weather is sometimes very hot dependent on how far north and east you go, it's 75 in Balboa park, but it's a safe bet that it's not that cool in Santee or El Cajon. Seems to be 10 degrees hotter on average, but the Santa Ana winds blast the moisture right out of you the further east you go towards Anza Borrego.

Do yourself a favor and stay out of PB, unless you're douche enough. There are relatively cheaper apartments for the amenities they offer in UTC, if you like living in a termite mound (I don't).

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Internetjack posted:

nah. My brother has some bullshit degree in Environmental Resource Management which amounts to diddly and squat. He did get lucky and had a friend that was actually a master electrician and took him on as an apprentice doing residential and commercial wiring. That's where he learned clean wiring, and he skated by for years without any certifications because he was good, he trained his teams well, and inspectors got to the point that they would see his name on a permit and be all, "oh we don't need to inspect that, its an install led by (brother)."

He did the journeyman certification in the last two years so he could sell himself around and make more money. It paid off day one after he got it.

You can make bank through ERM and basically any other environmental consulting but you gotta line up oil or other resource extraction gigs.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, a chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, a chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

I’m not sure if OP is qualified to administer Voight-Kampf tests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I’m not sure if OP is qualified to administer Voight-Kampf tests

WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T ASK HIM ABOUT HIS MOTHER