Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
As some of you may be aware, a recent "the landlord sold my frickin house" incident has led to me temporarily moving back in with my parents, a situation I have not had to endure since I moved out post-college like 10 years ago or something. Additionally, I do not have a job. Furtherly additionally, I don't know anyone here and there is no social scene in this town for anyone but old fogies. All of this combines to make a situation I would describe as "less than ideal". Initially I was planning on staying here for at least the summer, take advantage of the beaches and what not. But to be honest, I already feel like I'm just wasting time doing nothing. Moving in the summer sucks but I'd just like to get on with life already instead of prolonging this. So it's time to get a job and move somewhere! Problem: I got no idea what job or where.

So I'd like to solicit the goons of GBS for ideas. Goons can actually be pretty knowledgeable folk, and there is a lot going on right now! I keep hearing about a labor shortage here in the US. And while I'm conditioned to expect that this represents more of a headache for business owners than an actual boon for workers, maybe there are opportunities to be had? Also, this doesn't just have to be for me! Maybe it's coincidence but I've noticed several threads and posts lately about goons laid off, relocating, or just wanting a change. With many places just recovering from covid there are probably a lot of goons in a similar boat!

To be clear, you don't have to have a specific job opening to point to. I'm more pinging for general info. For example, I've seen it mentioned in multiple threads there is a shortage of fuel truck drivers and fuel transport companies are desperate. Is this a good idea to get into? Are they only looking for veterans or will they train noobs? Are they only hiring in certain geographic areas? I have no idea! But I'm sure somebody does. I have also had it suggested to me by different people that I should apply at the Post Office, that I should look into becoming a Park Ranger, or that I should try to get a job at the TSA. I can try and research all of these, and I will do so to a degree, but I don't think any one person can get a good bead on all these things. Getting at least some direction from knowledgeable folk is better than just stabbing in the dark. So let's share some ideas!

For me, my current location is in southern California and my most preferred area would be around San Diego, as I know people there. But tbh, this is a big change moment, and I am open to relocation within the US. I have a car and I have money saved up such that moving cost is not a barrier and I could support myself for a while without income. I also have no dependents, no property, or anything else anchoring me to this area. I am untethered, so if taking advantage of a good opportunity means moving away, so be it. So if you got ideas basically anywhere in the US, lay em on me. Even if it's no good for me, maybe it will be for another goon!

So, goon: do you have knowledge of an industry that's hiring? Got a friend or relative who just got into a new thing and is loving it? Tell us a little bit about it! For my own part, if I do act on something posted here and it goes somewhere, I'll do my best to document it within reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Try the dick sucking factory, op.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
What's your skill set?

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

quote:

Getting at least some direction from knowledgeable folk is better than just stabbing in the dark.

Actually stabbing in the dark can be quite lucrative

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

What's your OnlyFans?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Das Boo posted:

What's your skill set?

Excluding retail and security work from a long time ago, mostly administrative. A lot of general office stuff plus several years experience managing/directing a team of field technicians (from off-site). So I guess personnel and accounts management? I have knowledge of the automotive repair equipment industry but I'm not really interested in going back to work in it. I want to try something new.

Lucky Guy posted:

What's your OnlyFans?

Projekt Melody

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
custom erotic car body decals (bigfoot x lamia)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Meme Poker Party posted:

I want to try something new.

What about botany? Do you like plants? Maybe garden design or something along those lines

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

legit dude look into dog walking, see if there is a local service hiring because theyll take a comission but insure you while working and its very satisfying

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Go out and get 3,763 tons of gold. Then you’d be rich.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Meme Poker Party posted:

As some of you may be aware, a recent "the landlord sold my frickin house" incident has led to me temporarily moving back in with my parents, a situation I have not had to endure since I moved out post-college like 10 years ago or something. Additionally, I do not have a job. Furtherly additionally, I don't know anyone here and there is no social scene in this town for anyone but old fogies. All of this combines to make a situation I would describe as "less than ideal". Initially I was planning on staying here for at least the summer, take advantage of the beaches and what not. But to be honest, I already feel like I'm just wasting time doing nothing. Moving in the summer sucks but I'd just like to get on with life already instead of prolonging this. So it's time to get a job and move somewhere! Problem: I got no idea what job or where.

So I'd like to solicit the goons of GBS for ideas. Goons can actually be pretty knowledgeable folk, and there is a lot going on right now! I keep hearing about a labor shortage here in the US. And while I'm conditioned to expect that this represents more of a headache for business owners than an actual boon for workers, maybe there are opportunities to be had? Also, this doesn't just have to be for me! Maybe it's coincidence but I've noticed several threads and posts lately about goons laid off, relocating, or just wanting a change. With many places just recovering from covid there are probably a lot of goons in a similar boat!

To be clear, you don't have to have a specific job opening to point to. I'm more pinging for general info. For example, I've seen it mentioned in multiple threads there is a shortage of fuel truck drivers and fuel transport companies are desperate. Is this a good idea to get into? Are they only looking for veterans or will they train noobs? Are they only hiring in certain geographic areas? I have no idea! But I'm sure somebody does. I have also had it suggested to me by different people that I should apply at the Post Office, that I should look into becoming a Park Ranger, or that I should try to get a job at the TSA. I can try and research all of these, and I will do so to a degree, but I don't think any one person can get a good bead on all these things. Getting at least some direction from knowledgeable folk is better than just stabbing in the dark. So let's share some ideas!

For me, my current location is in southern California and my most preferred area would be around San Diego, as I know people there. But tbh, this is a big change moment, and I am open to relocation within the US. I have a car and I have money saved up such that moving cost is not a barrier and I could support myself for a while without income. I also have no dependents, no property, or anything else anchoring me to this area. I am untethered, so if taking advantage of a good opportunity means moving away, so be it. So if you got ideas basically anywhere in the US, lay em on me. Even if it's no good for me, maybe it will be for another goon!

So, goon: do you have knowledge of an industry that's hiring? Got a friend or relative who just got into a new thing and is loving it? Tell us a little bit about it! For my own part, if I do act on something posted here and it goes somewhere, I'll do my best to document it within reason.

Getting into State/Local/Federal government in a FTE status is not bad. Won't make tons of money but it is stable and right now I think a lot of municipalities etc are hiring again and having a hard time finding candidates. My own city just listed out about 45 positions they need filled desperately and that is in Utah so I gotta figure in Cali where they have a semi functional government they need some people. Check out if there is a California League of Cities/Towns/Counties job board.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Theres a buncha government jobs opening up entry level stuff in my state, the revenue forecast was was off from last year and the big deficit they were expecting didnt happen, so all the state agencies are re-opening job postings that have been frozen for a year and trying to get people in asap. Ive seen more than a few saying entry level no experience required, so i guess theyre desperate to get people in? probably differs from state to state, this is just what ive seen in the one i live in.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sid Vicious posted:

legit dude look into dog walking, see if there is a local service hiring because theyll take a comission but insure you while working and its very satisfying

I love dogs, and I like walking. But can a person actually make a living like this???

Derpies posted:

Getting into State/Local/Federal government in a FTE status is not bad. Won't make tons of money but it is stable and right now I think a lot of municipalities etc are hiring again and having a hard time finding candidates. My own city just listed out about 45 positions they need filled desperately and that is in Utah so I gotta figure in Cali where they have a semi functional government they need some people. Check out if there is a California League of Cities/Towns/Counties job board.

RepeatingMeme posted:

Theres a buncha government jobs opening up entry level stuff in my state, the revenue forecast was was off from last year and the big deficit they were expecting didnt happen, so all the state agencies are re-opening job postings that have been frozen for a year and trying to get people in asap. Ive seen more than a few saying entry level no experience required, so i guess theyre desperate to get people in? probably differs from state to state, this is just what ive seen in the one i live in.

It occurs to me that I don't even know how to find these lol. I guess the city/state website and a jobs section? I'll check it out. If states are hiring big right now that seems like a good opportunity. I'm pretty sure they are normally supposed to be hard to get.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Meme Poker Party posted:

It occurs to me that I don't even know how to find these lol. I guess the city/state website and a jobs section? I'll check it out. If states are hiring big right now that seems like a good opportunity. I'm pretty sure they are normally supposed to be hard to get.

The county I work for in CA uses the website governmentjobs.com lol. Whats nice is that you can also look up positions that they aren't currently hiring for on the website so you can still look at the descriptions/requirements. you might get some ideas of what you might want to apply for if you browse

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Meme Poker Party posted:

I love dogs, and I like walking. But can a person actually make a living like this???

Getting your foot in the door is the hard part but once you are in you are in. Check out if this site for Cali has a job board for municipalities:

https://www.calcities.org/

Otherwise for State or Federal you gotta just slog through their website for postings and those are usually done by the lowest bidder so just, good luck.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There's never been a shortage of medical jobs and some of the entry level ones just require a few classes, not a full degree.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

A lot of states I think will go through https://www.governmentjobs.com/

for california there is also https://jobs.ca.gov/

basically if you google [my state] government jobs there should be some official looking site with job postings, if its got a .gov domain is probably that one. Ive found it easier to try to find their main job board and apply through there.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

super sweet best pal posted:

There's never been a shortage of medical jobs and some of the entry level ones just require a few classes, not a full degree.

Respiratory therapists are going to be in high demand, have heard good things from the few I’ve spoken with

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

RepeatingMeme posted:

A lot of states I think will go through https://www.governmentjobs.com/

for california there is also https://jobs.ca.gov/

basically if you google [my state] government jobs there should be some official looking site with job postings, if its got a .gov domain is probably that one. Ive found it easier to try to find their main job board and apply through there.

If their isnt a centralized job board as well local cities/towns/counties usually have pretty organized job boards on their sites, just need to go out and find them.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

i'm in such a similar position that i could have basically written this thread, except that i have a menial job to keep the money going up and i'm not in the US.

i've kept trying to force myself to do coding as a job but i just don't think it's happening. i did work as a dev briefly and could probably get another job if i applied myself to it again but it's a really unimaginative option for me cos i've got basically zero enthusiasm for it and just want the money to then move onto something else + it's pretty easy to get into at least where i live.

the block for me just now is trying to summon up motivation, which isn't how motivation works, so i'm just saving money for a little bit and when things open up pandemic wise in a few weeks i'm going to just start getting out of the house and finding things to do. i'm hoping that'll rehydrate my ambition. there's a lot of stuff that i would like to do but it all feels like a pipedream in my current position, even though really i'm no worse off than i ever was, just understimulated.

so i don't have any suggestions because i'm also just looking and thinking about different options including moving etc right now.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Do you touch computers? There is obscene money in cyber security.

Grumblepuff
Dec 29, 2018

You think you taught me a lesson, babe
Betcha think you "got through to me"
No one gets through here anymore
Right
When I was looking for foreign service/ gov't jobs, the forums also recommended https://www.usajobs.gov/.

You could see what it takes to get a substitute teacher's certification. When I came back from overseas, I got started subbing as a way to make money and it eventually led to full-time employment.

The worst step is the first step never taken. Glad you've taken the first step (asking for advice), and wish you well on your quest!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Thanks for the ideas so far, folks. I'm browsing through some Cali jobs right now. I need to put my resume together lol.

Grumblepuff posted:

You could see what it takes to get a substitute teacher's certification. When I came back from overseas, I got started subbing as a way to make money and it eventually led to full-time employment.

You know I've considered this in the past back before I ever had a non-entry level job. Thing is, tbh, it seems like it sucks to be a teacher in the US. They aren't respected by a lot of the public/parents, are constantly used as a political football over nonsense, and don't even get paid very well below university level. That's what stopped me from pursuing it back then. It's too bad because I'd probably be a pretty good teacher I think. Still might not be the worst the idea in the world if I can't make something else pan out.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Join the military.

Best government benefits.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm soon to be in a similar situation. I'm moving across my state next month. My wife's got a job waiting, that's why we're moving, but I will be unemployed at the beginning of August. I decided I'm going to get forklift certified, because everywhere in the world needs a monkey who can drive a forklift.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
in this world you got to suck or you got to gently caress. you can do 1 or you can do both but you cant do neither

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Do you know React, Typescript, or Electron, and enjoy the winters as well as summers?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
logistics, logistics, logistics

google some of the buzzwords and drop them in a resume and with already having manager experience you will get hits. most of it is common sense and just takes some being organized.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I hear there are all kinds of great opportunities that come up after you relocate to somewhere with no internet, OP.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mnoba posted:

logistics, logistics, logistics

google some of the buzzwords and drop them in a resume and with already having manager experience you will get hits. most of it is common sense and just takes some being organized.

This is good advice.

I was once advised by a recruiter to submit Word docs instead of pdfs because the software being used to search for said buzzwords is often stupid out of date and can't scan for them in pdfs. Any idea if that's true?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Das Boo posted:

This is good advice.

I was once advised by a recruiter to submit Word docs instead of pdfs because the software being used to search for said buzzwords is often stupid out of date and can't scan for them in pdfs. Any idea if that's true?

i haven't heard that no, but if you put SAP, kanban, inventory reconciliation in a reasonable resume and show up on time to the interview you'll do fine

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

This is good advice.

Just make sure your pdf is text and not a picture of text

Pdfs are all over the place but the only thing worse is goddamn word docs. Is rather get a notepad file than word

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
How about becoming a Herpetologist?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
If you're young, reasonably fit and don't mind manual labor consider looking for work as an apprentice to a journeyman or master(if you can find one) electrician.
You'll spend your first year digging trenches and dropping conduit and hauling materials around, but if you are lucky enough to find a good mentor that teaches clean wiring and installs you can make some coin.
At the same time start taking classes for your own journeyman certification. This can take a year or two easily and passing the testing for commercial electrician is a real bitch. It's worth it though. A journeyman electrician in CA can easily ask for pay of $70/hour or more, with benefits.

My brother works in the Bay Area and this has been his path for the last several years and his employer needed a certified electrician to head installations. He had discussed with them that when he passed his test that he would get a pay increase and more paid time off. He got a pay bump of almost 100% and an extra week of PTO.
He also told them that they will be discussing another pay bump within the year or he will walk. The employer said "no problem!"

Here is the key though if you go this path in CA; there are two key areas of electricity to work in in CA. The first is installing charging stations for electric cars. CA won't allow new car sales for gas powered vehicles in a few more years. The demand for charging stations at corporations, apartment complexes, residences etc is just sky-rocketing in that state now. The demand is massive. Tons of work available.

The second is installing backup generators for residential applications. With rolling blackouts, PGE, fires and all that, there is a huge consumer demand to have backup gennies on peoples homes.

It's a lot of hard work, but the demand is there and the pay is pretty decent if you know what you are doing.

Also, you will have to buy about $300 worth of tools for your first day if don't have them already.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

rear end handyman

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internetjack posted:

If you're young, reasonably fit and don't mind manual labor

I'm able bodied and in good shape but probably not "young" at 34. I have heard that electricians are on the up and up for some time now. Doesn't seem like a bad idea but I'm probably not gonna make a life change into trades at this point, tbh. But this is good general advice for the youngins and mechanical inclined.

I will keep in Mnoba's pointer about logistics as well. Ideally I think I'd like something a little active, but just being realistic I do have the proper background and experience for it, so if logistics jobs are hiring I'd probably be suited. Gonna keep that one in my pocket.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Hell Yeah posted:

rear end handyman

IDK medical school is pretty expensive and time consuming

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Who needs certification? Just watch some youtube videos. It worked for caro.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Meme Poker Party posted:

not "young" at 34.

I get to hit 50 later this year. Trust me, you are young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

have you tried applying for bofa?