Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I'm guessing it's the stat that shows he's one of the best at separation in the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kawalimus posted:

Even an undrafted rookie? Cause that's the kind of production that is

Jake Bobo was the most successful of the 100 or so UDFA WRs I can think of from last year. 200 yard, 2 TDs. Even if Bateman only is who he has been but healthier its a great deal.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Jake Bobo was the most successful of the 100 or so UDFA WRs I can think of from last year. 200 yard, 2 TDs. Even if Bateman only is who he has been but healthier its a great deal.

Probably because most of them are on special teams I would imagine and rarely or never see the field.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is one of those deals I always think about as being a clear win for both sides, but players overvalue themselves and fail to get. So many dudes want those one year prove it deals instead of securing generational wealth. If it works for you you could earn 4 times more than the moderate contract, but if you get injured, supplanted by a younger player, out in a coaches dog house, anyone of a hundred different things outside of your control you could end up out of the league with maybe not enough money to build your second career.

Basically, if I were a star player I would be grotesquely underpaid because the difference between 10 million dollars and 100 million dollars means basically nothing to me.

also he'll be 27 by the time this contract is over so he has another chance to cash in

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Hell yeah gimme all the oline

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

wiggins seems like a good pick. can never have enough corners

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

wiggins seems like a good pick. can never have enough corners

I was underwhelmed at first because ANOTHER corner/db but he's got Ed Reed's endorsement and I guess that is worth something. I just want to see offensive line in round 2 or 3

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

From what I've read one of the knocks on him is that he doesn't have a lot of picks which is very un-ed reed

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

From what I've read one of the knocks on him is that he doesn't have a lot of picks which is very un-ed reed

Well he's a corner not a safety. And low picks is kind of normal in the NFL these days at corner and a product of good coverage so not getting the ball thrown your way. Maybe with his speed he will be good at dealing with some annoying slot receivers.

You just don't see high INT totals like you used to.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I just think it's a funny comparison, I don't have a strong opinion about the pick tbh

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sharknado slashfic posted:

the big knock i see on him is that he plays at a really low weight (combine was 173, i think his pro day he weighed in at 182). which seems a little nitpicky - he's 6'1 and 20 years old, it shouldn't be a problem to play at like 190 or so. other than that, he's apparently fast as gently caress and extremely smooth when shadowing other players, with his height letting him stand up to the taller wideouts and stop them from making catches over his head.

stephens is in his contract year and humphrey has been a little up and down with a big 2025 cap hit upcoming, so its definitely a position of high priority. when guyton came off the board i knew that there wasn't really anyone else i was super pumped about. maybe mitchell. when you're drafting at 30 you just kinda have to wait and then pick whoever drops to you, even if its not as sexy as getting a mauling tackle/guard.

does remind me of when we picked humphrey in 2017. there was an early run on wideouts (corey davis, mike williams, john ross lol) and so no one that i was in love with was available at the 16th pick. i liked humphrey a lot but it felt like a 'take your medicine' kind of pick where it was a good player at a needed position, but you (or at least i) wanted something flashy instead at the time

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i like that the ravens straight up have their whole draft board completely visible to the cameras every year when they draft. like 'we know who we like. everyone knows who we like. we dont give a poo poo.'

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I think the Steelers are doing good in the draft :)

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is one of those deals I always think about as being a clear win for both sides, but players overvalue themselves and fail to get. So many dudes want those one year prove it deals instead of securing generational wealth. If it works for you you could earn 4 times more than the moderate contract, but if you get injured, supplanted by a younger player, out in a coaches dog house, anyone of a hundred different things outside of your control you could end up out of the league with maybe not enough money to build your second career.

Basically, if I were a star player I would be grotesquely underpaid because the difference between 10 million dollars and 100 million dollars means basically nothing to me.

Think of how many more bird watching trips you could take with Kawa if you had that extra money.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Steelers new GM and personnel guy having a 2nd consecutive killer draft

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Overall days one and two are ok for the Ravens. I see how CB is a position that will be a need in the near future, and it usually takes a CB a full year or more of development before they're ready so it makes sense to draft one now instead of later. Like Brandon Stephens was "oh god not him out there" before he was suddenly very good. I really like OT in round 2 and "Edge" in rd 3, well I'm not optimistic. Oweh had a good year per advanced stats but still waiting for a breakout. Maybe between this guy, Ojabo and Oweh we can fill the void Clowney will leave but like I said I'm not optimistic.

Just saw we took a WR in round 4. I am so sorry Devontez Walker. Your career is over before it started.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rip devontaz walker

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://x.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1784263261275205707

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

those must be the two best players in the draft

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Cavauro posted:

those must be the two best players in the draft

You have said the actual truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Those are Rashod Bateman's exact dimensions. Zay Flowers is short but that can't be fixed by dragging up the average of the WR room.