Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
ITT we’re death stranding npcs waiting for deliveries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMUG MEDIA SLUT
Dec 16, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOk6HB609po

we got ufo disclosure but not atlantis disclosure, or the ruins of thule disclosure

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Let me tell you something, buddy. They say why go to Mars and terraform it if you could just as well stay here on earth and terrafom earth back to a stable point, but let me tell you something buddy, how are you going to maintain an industrial society on earth with all the ethnic conflict, class divisions, resource wars, cannibal raids, etc.? You can't. Earth will regress to preindustrial society during the climacolypse. But Mars will be different. Everyone on Mars will greatly depend on society for naked survival from birth and large scale conflict will be unimaginable and the wealthy will be forced to make concession to keep the peace. Higher automation will allow people to maintain complex production chains which is just not possible on earth because the poors make investmet into automation less profitable. Furthermore,

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why do you think all the rich people are so loving eager to leave the earth in the dick shaped space rockets lately?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I like to think there's a secret conspiracy among the rocket scientists to fire Bezos, Musk and Branson directly into the Sun
It's too bad Zuck just wants to go to cyberspace

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Japan has been under water the last few days

naem
May 29, 2011

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Maybe we're serving as sort of a textbook example of how the Great Filter works in practice.

The only species and cultures among species embracing tool usage to the point where they figure out electromagnetics and combustion engines, will also have something inherently wrong with their brains; they'll be greedy and short-sighted and bereft of caution; they'll have sort of a dunning-kruger effect going that convinces them of their cleverness while denying them wisdom and perspective to know what a loving colossally stupid idea it is to gently caress up the entire planet for a few hundred years of excess.

All these doomed species tinkering with pandora's boxes know is they're cleverer than the next-cleverest things around them. They'll give themselves self-flattering taxonomic labels like "reasoning starfish" or "sapient apes" to set themselves over all other forms of life on their planet, as moral underpinning for the savage mechanized consumption frenzy leading to the inevitable extinction event. These blips only last for very little time in geologic terms, and so all you're left with is interesting strata smudges and maybe a few faint electromagnetic echoes slowly propagating across the galaxy, signifying absolutely nothing and without the faintest chance of detection in any of the other blips because they happen so infrequently and last for so little time each.

nothing left of humanity but a spurt of 4g Verizon satellite dick pics from 2013, echoing across the galaxy

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

nah planet's not dying

it is becoming more inhospitable for its current inhabitants though and may kill us all

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The world is in peril

Gaia, the spirit of the Earth,,,,,

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

naem posted:

nothing left of humanity but a spurt of 4g Verizon satellite dick pics from 2013, echoing across the galaxy

None of that traffic will be detectable even at the edge of the solar system. If anything persists it will be the broad-spectrum pops of hydrogen bomb detonations.
I want to petition the last government on earth that we should want to form a farewell message for a SETI-like effort on someone else's blip to receive by precisely timing some pops in something like a pixel grid the product of two primes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Jack Trades posted:

Why do you think all the rich people are so loving eager to leave the earth in the dick shaped space rockets lately?

Space junk, lol.
There has been an asteroid shaped like a vagina discovered recently.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Solid fat mom joke setup there

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's really stopping us from building a massive loving glass dome and just keeping ourselves cool with a big AC

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Listen in this hell future I'm going to ride my bicycle or I'm going to bash your brains in. These aren't mutually exclusive either.

I see lines of Audis dropping their kid off at the school near my work. What a waste of resources. What happened to the school bus? I live in a place where there is lots of affluence, but why don't they just make the school buses Audis?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Vegetable posted:

What's really stopping us from building a massive loving glass dome and just keeping ourselves cool with a big AC

mostly physics, but also economics

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Does this goo-math check out?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Does this goo-math check out?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Answer the question in english nerdlinger, I'm busy endangering my constituents.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Cosmik Slop posted:

My working theory is a sort of modified Gaia theory. The planet, aware that its long-term chances for survival are nil due to inevitable solar expansion, rolled the dice on the production of a species that would someday possibly be capable of interplanetary survival. There was also the chance that the sentient species would screw the pooch and bring life as we know it to ruin, but since planetary death would be occurring *anyway*, it was better to roll the dice and see. Time will tell if the Earth gets another shot at this plan after the moronic thinking apes are finished cooking themselves and everything they have.

So you're saying the other planets are nihilists?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I tend to think of it more as humanity is dying and its death throes are taking the planet with it.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Sentinel posted:

The biggest we're hosed must be even if all 7-8 billion of us all died or hosed off right now there's still what? 150-250 years before the system begins to visibly right itself?
Just 2-4 Gens living a brighter future underground in Vaults that definitely don't even remotely technologically exist.
We might be hosed but were dragging every gorgeous godamn creation the bizarre riot of life graced our world with. And all 4 billion years of its history.

All for Air Conditioning, Gasoline and any plastic we've ever touched.
I hate it. I hate how most of my interaction with humanity at large always feels like you're the smart kid on the group project stuck doing all the work because everyone else is too dumb and yolo's out.
Sorry SA but this is why i drink at night.

The current climate fuckling is not plausibly going to kill all, or even a majority of, humans, and it's definitely not going to wipe out all life on Earth. It's a real problem, a real big, important problem, but don't lie about it. Also plastic's a different problem.

Anyway, solutions. Renewables are nice, but other than geothermal (which isn't practical in most places) they're too intermittent to be our only source of power. Energy storage could fix this, but a) there aren't enough places for pumped hydro on Earth, and they have their own environmental problems b.i) we don't have enough battery manufacturing capacity to do it that way within a few decades and b.ii) with current tech that would involve strip-mining a bunch of places for however many billion tonnes of rare metals that would need.

Luckily, there's a way of producing power that needs fewer mined resources per joule (by a couple of orders of magnitude) than fossil fuels, produces no greenhouse gases at all, and has a safety record comparable with solar power. But hippies are more afraid of neutrons than mass extinctions.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Brutal Garcon posted:

The current climate fuckling is not plausibly going to kill all, or even a majority of, humans, and it's definitely not going to wipe out all life on Earth. It's a real problem, a real big, important problem, but don't lie about it. Also plastic's a different problem.

Anyway, solutions. Renewables are nice, but other than geothermal (which isn't practical in most places) they're too intermittent to be our only source of power. Energy storage could fix this, but a) there aren't enough places for pumped hydro on Earth, and they have their own environmental problems b.i) we don't have enough battery manufacturing capacity to do it that way within a few decades and b.ii) with current tech that would involve strip-mining a bunch of places for however many billion tonnes of rare metals that would need.

Luckily, there's a way of producing power that needs fewer mined resources per joule (by a couple of orders of magnitude) than fossil fuels, produces no greenhouse gases at all, and has a safety record comparable with solar power. But hippies are more afraid of neutrons than mass extinctions.

I mean, yeah, but what happens when we get to stop listening to them? What happens when we get to ignore people who are the polar opposite, people who don’t care or don’t believe change is necessary, or some mixture of the two? When the idiots don’t get a voice, we all become idiots.

I’m sure I sound like an idiot.
That’s my point I think.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
suns gonna swaller up this dumb rock in 5 billion years, nothing that happens here matters

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Khanstant posted:

suns gonna swaller up this dumb rock in 5 billion years, nothing that happens here matters

Yeah. I agree. Pale blue dot was really profound.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm pick your favorite

i'm hedging my bets on the big crunch resetting the universe and the eternal cycle repeating

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Everything's a lie, the universe is big and none of us matter, nothing matters...yeah I watch Rick and Morty, why are you asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I think if anyone can survive this, it's the pig balls website