Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous

so much chili knowledge, i'ma consult with spouse and buy groceries and make at least one (1) chili this week

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

biosterous posted:

so much chili knowledge, i'ma consult with spouse and buy groceries and make at least one (1) chili this week

:sickos:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

CHILI GANG
CHILI GANG
CHILI GANG

WE NEED A TAG

Tiny Myers

say hello to my little friend

I heard a story about someone who took samples of all the different chilis at a competition and combined them together and entered that as their chili competition entry and it won. I feel like the lesson to get from this is that the more ingredients you put in your chili, the better. I have never made chili so please do not be mad if this is a bad idea.

I also tasted chili at a chili competition once that was advertised as a chocolate chili and it was actually pretty tasty!

Thank you How Wonderful! for the autumn sig!

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

pnac attack posted:

when there's cocoa with your meat, and it tastes good to eat, that's a mole

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
A little bit of coffee livens up a ton of things. My late best friend used to make this red pepper and coffee soup that they claimed they found on GWS way back when, maybe 2006-2007, and while I've never been able to find the actual recipe in archives or wherever, when I miss them I make something similar and the coffee is just such a nice little addition.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

has anyone mentioned fish sauce in chili yet

Jinh

watho posted:

i usually wing it but some tips i will give is to add lime juice, cocoa powder, and/or honey. it makes it taste real good imo at least

Hell yeah I did this with my chili yesterday. Spicy honey and some chocolate syrup and lime juice. Chocolate is a killer secret ingredient in chili

Jinh

pnac attack posted:

when there's cocoa with your meat, and it tastes good to eat, that's a mole

watho

chocolate syrup seems like too much sweetness to me but as long as you liked it that’s all that matters!

Jinh

Oh it was the sugar free kind :eng101:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i went back and looked over the byob cooking thread and realized i never made an effort post about chili and i'm mad at myself for it because i love making it so much also in huge amounts

watho

sugar free syrup? what a time to be alive!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bo-Pepper posted:

i went back and looked over the byob cooking thread and realized i never made an effort post about chili and i'm mad at myself for it because i love making it so much also in huge amounts

Post the chili vats you hell, you drat frick

Seriously tho I would fight a baby for bo-pep chili, every time you post a picture I want to eat it

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Mormon Nailer posted:

Post the chili vats you hell, you drat frick

Seriously tho I would fight a baby for bo-pep chili, every time you post a picture I want to eat it

please excuse the gross stove and wall it's part of why i am happy to be moving

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Bo-Pepper posted:

please excuse the gross stove and wall it's part of why i am happy to be moving

nothing but money shots

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
high as hell and overwhelmed by visceral-rear end close ups of some real motherfucking chili coming into being

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

pnac attack posted:

high as hell and overwhelmed by visceral-rear end close ups of some real motherfucking chili coming into being

here have some more from another chili day last year i failed to document here also i forgot to take pictures like all through the middle

Manifisto

How Wonderful! posted:

Oh yeah, similarly I've often made J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's vegetarian tamale pie recipe.

gonna give this a try next week, will let you know how it goes!

and thank you bo-pep for the photos of real chili, looks sufficiently packed with flavo(u)r

ty nesamdoom!

biosterous

i made

your friend sk posted:

YOUR FRIEND SK'S CHILI

and it was good!

here is the vegetals i used. i added celery because why not, and green onion because also why not (and it was at the point where i either used it now or tossed the lot of it). couldn't find any serrano pepper, in any form, unfortunately!

here are other things that went in. (the coffee beans did not go in, they just happen to be in the picture). not pictured but present: a can of the alcohol-free beer that i usually use for stock. not pictured because i forgot to buy it even though it was on the grocery list: crushed tomato. heck! dang! i improvised with a can of diced tomato i had, but this definitely affected the texture and thickness a lot. next time i will hopefully remember!

it's in the pot, coming together. i totally agree that the variety of colours is great! spouse and i also enjoyed the corn part a bunch, this is where i will take my stand on the controversy: corn in chili is good sometimes okay

didn't really come through in the photo but it's thicker here! i let it simmer for about an hour, and the flavours all mixed well together, but i still added a bit of corn starch to thicken it (100% due to my tomato mishap).

things i will do differently in future attempts:
1. don't forget to actually buy the crushed tomato
2. go more generous with the powdered spices - having more in would make the taste more consistent throughout the whole deal
3. maybe orange or yellow bell pepper? maybe two jalapeños instead of one?
4. try harder to find the serrano pepper

but yeah, overall i am very happy with the recipe! i mean the only changes are "actually have all the ingredients" and "add more spices yum yum", it is a very good recipe hooray!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

biosterous posted:

i made

and it was good!

here is the vegetals i used. i added celery because why not, and green onion because also why not (and it was at the point where i either used it now or tossed the lot of it). couldn't find any serrano pepper, in any form, unfortunately!

here are other things that went in. (the coffee beans did not go in, they just happen to be in the picture). not pictured but present: a can of the alcohol-free beer that i usually use for stock. not pictured because i forgot to buy it even though it was on the grocery list: crushed tomato. heck! dang! i improvised with a can of diced tomato i had, but this definitely affected the texture and thickness a lot. next time i will hopefully remember!

it's in the pot, coming together. i totally agree that the variety of colours is great! spouse and i also enjoyed the corn part a bunch, this is where i will take my stand on the controversy: corn in chili is good sometimes okay

didn't really come through in the photo but it's thicker here! i let it simmer for about an hour, and the flavours all mixed well together, but i still added a bit of corn starch to thicken it (100% due to my tomato mishap).

things i will do differently in future attempts:
1. don't forget to actually buy the crushed tomato
2. go more generous with the powdered spices - having more in would make the taste more consistent throughout the whole deal
3. maybe orange or yellow bell pepper? maybe two jalapeños instead of one?
4. try harder to find the serrano pepper

but yeah, overall i am very happy with the recipe! i mean the only changes are "actually have all the ingredients" and "add more spices yum yum", it is a very good recipe hooray!

i'm glad you liked it! i almost mentioned green onion as a garnish and yellow/orange peppers so our chili minds think alike :)

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm feeling the need to prepare the vegan chili this weekend

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

this image specifically

I can smell this, and now I am starving, man does that look good

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
more like Bo-Onion

Manifisto

Areola Grande posted:

more like Bo-Onion

ty nesamdoom!

idiotsavant

stay safe chili ghost

Manifisto

How Wonderful! posted:

Oh yeah, similarly I've often made J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's vegetarian tamale pie recipe but on lazy nights if you want to skip the cornbread it's just a really solid vegan chili on its own. Probably my favorite vegan chili to do chili fries with and definitely one of the easiest. I love it.

made this recipe tonight

mmm it was delicious and popular!

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
That's awesome, tonight I also made a slightly different version of it with puff pastry and it also ruled. Little flaky chili cups.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!