Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the thing that gets me is that it is a level of evil that won them NOTHING.

seven years ago obama thought that he could win some good boy points with the republicans by brutalizing the poo poo out of a bunch of immigrants. and as morally abhorrent as the idea is, you can see how a compromise fetishist like him might think that this was a decent strategic play, absent any of that pesky "value of human life" talk.

the grand total of what Obama accomplished was making a bunch of liberals say "actually putting kids in dog cages isn't a dealbreaker for me, and i don't think they're concentration camps." it earned him and his party no voters, it cost him and his party some trivial amount of support from moral human beings, and it didn't change a goddamned word of the republican immigration platform. they deliberately chose to inflict a tremendous amount of pain on the weakest people they could find, and for their years of torture their reward was gently caress All.

politics is not a clean business. sometimes you make a devil's bargain to accomplish your goals. history is full of steps forward marred by morally abominable compromises to preserve existing inequalities. but the whole point in making a devil's bargain is that both parties make concessions. you do not just chuck the devil a couple thousand lost souls and then hold your hands out expecting a reward.

it's that reason I find the liberal defenses of the camps so much more horrifying than the republican ones, I think. for all the open monstrosity of the Republican approach to immigration, they at least have a base that's baying for blood. you can understand why an apathetic republican politician would let themselves be swept up by their constituents' grotesque hatreds in the name of retaining power. it's a horrible thing to do, but you can see why they'd do it.

but when the Democrats did it, and continue to do it, it is for NOTHING. watching the untermenschen choke out their last breaths with content smiles, knowing that these deaths prove they are the Adults in the Room.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Vote!

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

but when the Democrats did it, and continue to do it, it is for NOTHING. watching the untermenschen choke out their last breaths with content smiles, knowing that these deaths prove they are the Adults in the Room.

no its because most of them are conservatives

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jabberlock posted:

no its because most of them are conservatives

even if we assume that Stealth Hitler has snuck into office as a democrat, that STILL doesn't make it make any goddamned sense. power does not follow dungeons and dragons ritual magic rules. there is no point at which X amount of immigrant death equals Y increase in democratic voteshare. it doesn't even slow immigration into the country! republican politicians at least have a reason to scream about building the wall, because that's their culture war issue of choice to excuse not delivering on anything else. nobody in the democratic coalition is demanding more mexican covid death.

nobody's asking for it, but they're delivering it anyway, and in loving spades

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the cruelty is the point

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Crazypoops posted:

demon cracker nation

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/jachristian/status/1443579233373020160

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

even if we assume that Stealth Hitler has snuck into office as a democrat, that STILL doesn't make it make any goddamned sense. power does not follow dungeons and dragons ritual magic rules. there is no point at which X amount of immigrant death equals Y increase in democratic voteshare. it doesn't even slow immigration into the country! republican politicians at least have a reason to scream about building the wall, because that's their culture war issue of choice to excuse not delivering on anything else. nobody in the democratic coalition is demanding more mexican covid death.

nobody's asking for it, but they're delivering it anyway, and in loving spades

it's because the "value of human life" talk, not the actions, is for the voter base. they have big press conferences where they talk about how they're going to fight for immigrant rights, then immediately get chauffeured to their steakhouse dinners with their rich donor friends to talk about how they really need to get some of these loving w------s out of the goddamn country. that's the part they want.

it's a great setup for republicans because they get to do the thing they want and say they want to do it. the democrats have to do the song and dance about how no human being is illegal and then try to quietly do the thing they want. if they get caught and/or people make too much noise about it they can try to say it's for "political capital" or bipartisanship or whatever to try and get everyone to shut up.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

sorry ymb just realized this thread got resurrected but the spirit moved me to Post

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Already had two different people tell me that if they REALLY wanted to free those kids they wouldn't ALIENATE all their ALLIES by making them LATE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Already had two different people tell me that if they REALLY wanted to free those kids they wouldn't ALIENATE all their ALLIES by making them LATE

I was worried these protests would disappear under Biden